Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Sealed Tube"
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: somewhat pissed.

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 08:52
"Sealed Tube"

On some reactions I have been reading it claims the reactants are mixed in a "sealed tube" and then heated.

Has anybody got experience with this?

An example is the organic syntheses preparation of what I call 4-cyclohexadione.

http://www.orgsynth.com/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=c...

I'm not able to see any reason why the above compound cannot be prepared by hydrogenation of 1,4-benzoquinone, although it is not obvious how easily this reduction can be accomplished inasmuch as the olefin FG's are conjugated with the keto FG's. Hydroquinone would be even harder to reduce because it is aromatic.

Also with regard to the previous paragraph, is not the Birch reduction a synthetically useful way to get at interesting cyclohexane compounds?

My primary question relates to the thread title although I am keen to get any thoughtful advise and insight from skilled chemists with more experience than I.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 09:43

I`ve only ever done a sealed tube rxn as a Getter, although the idea of using for other applications makes sense too, I`ve just never had cause to try it, perhaps for making different Alotropes would be handy :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 09:43

Hydrogenation of p-bezoquinone yields only hydroquinone at normal conditions. Though with some catalysts it is possible to obtain cyclohexanone from phenol hydrogenation (an industrial process), I think it is too far fetched to assume it would be possible to do something similar with hydroquinone. But check the literature - otherwise you never know for sure.

The sealed tube technique was often used in the older times as a replacement for autoclaves, especially when using reagents very aggressive to the autoclave coating (though today you have teflon coated autoclaves). Therefore today, practically no organic chemist uses it anymore - like I said, using the autoclave is easier than glassblowing. Though sealing a tube requires no big skills.
The referred hydrolysis/decarboxylation is done in overheated water, thus requiring a closed vessel, but it can probably be done more or less efficiently with basic hydrolysis, followed by heating of the resulting bis(beta-ketoacid) to >60°C for the decaboxylation step. But the authors were more like: Why doing two steps if you can do one by using an closed reaction vessel?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
syntelman
Harmless

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 09:49

I am unsure if you by "sealed tube" really mean a sealed tube/ampoule? The Org. Syn. preparation is performed in a sealed vessel in order to elevate the pressure.

Selectively reducing the double bonds in 1,4-benzoquinone may work with a suitable catalyst, but probably requires some careful planning. Oxidation of 1,4-cyclohexanediol is a more common way of preparing the afformentioned compound.

The Birch reduction is commonly used to prepare cyclohexaDIENES and is as such unrelated to the preparation of cyclohexanes.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 09:59

Indeed, considering the batch size, I certainly concluded wrongly that they we talk about a sealed ampule. Checking the link I could find no mention of "sealed tube". They used a 1.5 L autoclave instead.
Quote:
Originally posted by syntelman
The Birch reduction is commonly used to prepare cyclohexaDIENES and is as such unrelated to the preparation of cyclohexanes.

Yes, but performing a Birch reduction on p-dimethoxybenzene, followed by the mild acidic hydrolysis of the formed 1,4-dimethoxycyclohexa-1,4-diene would give the desired end product (though quite irrationaly more demanding when compared to the Org. synth. method). At least I think this is what Drunkguy had in mind.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 10:05

just out of curiosity, and a little OT, but if I`m understanding this correctly, would cyclohexa 1,3,5 Triene, actually be Benzene?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
syntelman
Harmless

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 10:35

Nicodem: Yes, you are right! Didn't think of that.

YT2095: It depends on how you see it. Cyclohexa-1,3,5-triene is a correct name for the Kekule representation of benzene, but as the electrons are delocalized, benzene isn't actually cyclohexa-1,3,5-triene. :D

[Edited on 20-12-2007 by syntelman]
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 11:21

Thanks guys. This chemical is commerically available at not particularly inflated cost but the synthesis looks quite instructive rather than just being loose with the wallet and letting somebody else make the effort while I sit infront of the TV.

Infact, on closer examination of that paper, it does say in the notes section that there are alternative ways to do the last step. After I first read about the decarboxylation method several months ago, defeatism got the better of me and almost like my brain hitting a brick wall I decided not to try and think about it.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 20-12-2007 at 11:32

Have you checked this thread.......solo

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8900

Shot with FinePix2650 at 2007-07-28

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2007 at 00:43

I'm not that experienced with chemistry that I would be able to follow the discussion in the above linked thread.

As stated already in the recent thread on hydrogenation, my preliminary aim is to purchase a lecture cylinder of hydrogen and to do the method I used in university that uses a balloon of hydrogen and the reduction/s are done under standard conditions.

Suffice to say, the technique I will be using is only enough to reduce styrene and is not strong enough to reduce a nitro group directly. However, it is good building blocks and I have to use that as a "stepping stone" before I can raise my game to the likes of evil lurker.

I have a masters in chemistry although I graduated 3.5 years ago. My aim for 2008 is to finally get a commercial address and my first year plan is to make enough money to cover my expenses.

[Edited on 23-12-2007 by Drunkguy]

Go To Top