Printable Version  
Author: Subject: H2S04 dissolve silver?
angela_li
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2007 at 17:23
H2S04 dissolve silver?

Hi

I was told H2S04 will not dissolve silver, but in my test. I did an XRF test on the ore and found traces of Ag. I milled my mixed oxide and sulphide ores together to 50 micron then used dilute sulphuric acid. After leaching for 3 days the XRF showed no Ag in the ore. Could it be true the Ag is in the leached solution?

Thanks

Angela
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2007 at 17:43

Do you know what chemical form the silver is in? While sulfuric acid does not attack silver in the cold, it can react with silver sulfide. Check tables of chemical properties, and mineralogy books for the common forms silver is found in.
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 24-12-2007 at 18:24

It depends a bit on quantities and concentrations, Ag2SO4 is slightly soluble even in H2O (0.8g/100g) and Ag2S slightly so. How much Ag was there to start with (XRF will easily detect <10ppm)? As a ?geochemistry student you must be aware that many of the earths ore deposits were formed by simple transport of elements from a huge volume of rock, in the form of dilute solution in super heated H2O and deposited in veins at points where there was a sudden drop in pressure(eg. even gold is quite soluble under these conditions). I wouldn't at all be surprised if a relatively large quantity of sulphuric acid was able to remove a small quantity of Ag from material ground to 50 microns.
angela_li
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2007 at 19:50

Thanks "not_importand" and "Xenoid" for answering.

I am only using between 1 - 1.5% dilute H2S04, it's not very high. I believed the silver came from the sulphide ore, but I have no proof. From all my searches it cannot come from the oxide ore. Am I correct on that?

Thanks again.

Angela

Go To Top