Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: copper(I)chloride
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 05:49
copper(I)chloride

I'm having 2 problems with this substance.

1: Its a old 250g container where my CuCl is in and its had become a solid block (Seriously , I can hardly get anything out). How do I safely break the block without risking bottle breakeage or fine dust in the air.

2: I used some in a testube and I cant wash the test tube anymore. I tried hot water and a green residu remains. I tried acidified (acetic acid) hydrogen peroxide to get the CuCl to copper in the 2+ oxidation state. A brown residu remains (probably anhydrous CuCl2. This solid does not dissolve. I tried complexing it with ammonia. Didnt work as well . How the hell do I clean it?

joris
-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 06:16

It's been ages since I tried anything with cuprous compounds, but my go-to reagent for attacking anything copper-related was always nitric acid. Outdoors, if I wasn't being absent-minded.
SecretSquirrel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 06:54

Regarding your first question: I always attack clumped chemicals with a screwdriver. This method proved to be the most successful. Just be patient in order not to damage the container if it is made of glass.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 08:10

yes but a screwdriver is made of steel. So it contains Iron wich would mean iron would react with the cuprous chloride forming iron(II)cloride and iron(III)chloride contaminets in the container. I already tried plastic but the stuff is too hard too break with plastic.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 08:51

Try hot 10% hydrochloric acid, let the acid filled tube sit in a waterbath for some time.

A good hardware store will carry copper and/or bronze nails in fairly large sizes. Use one to make holes in the block of CuCl, hammering it in as needed. Get several holes and the block should split.

The green colour comes from Cu(II), likely a basic chloride similar to CuCl2.3Cu(OH)2, simple CuCl2 would dissolve in water.
microcosmicus
Hazard to Others

Mood: spin up

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 09:07

CuCl2 is quite soluble in water, so that can't be your insoluble residue. Anhydrous CuCl2
will readily absorb moisture, even from air, to become green and hydrous. Maybe what
you have is a copper oxide, hydroxide, some Cu+ compound, or even precipitated metal .
Try using an acid. (Whatever acid you have handy and consider expendable for cleaning.)
If your acid is not oxidizing and doesn't do the trick alone, add some of
your H2O2 to the acid.

As for the stuff caked in the bottle, maybe find or improvise some sort of rotary rasp
out of copper, glass, ceramic, or some other substance which shouldn't contaminate
your chemical, lower that into the bottle and gring the stuff back to powder right in the bottle.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 10:43

What color has the CuCl? CuCl is white, white like fresh snow. On storage, CuCl quickly becomes green, due to oxidation. I also have some CuCl, but now it is a green solid, which contains quite some Cu(Cl/½O), some basic copper chloride, or copper oxychloride.

This material is very insoluble, but in warm conc. HCl it certainly dissolves. Consider your old CuCl not as CuCl anymore, but as some oxychloride of Cu(I) and Cu(II) at the same time. Still, this can be interesting, it can be used as a nice source of copper-solutions in conc. HCl.

Breaking down the big lump of your chemical can be done by buying a piece of copper tubing (used for water pipes and plumbing) and strongly hammering on the tube. You most likely will break the container, so keep another container prepared for this, and also put the container with CuCl in a CLEAN plastic bucket, just in case the container breaks.

[Edited on 17-1-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 11:26

ok, but if the top layer is oxidised then the bottom is not, right? Indeed the top layer is green, but I cant see whats under it, because the solid is in a very brown Baker bottle, where it is impossible to look through.
I will try a to break it with copper metal. I have a HPDE container ready!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 11:36

empty all you can out the test tube, and then heat it to near red heat, until the copper contam turns black.

then after it`s cooled, add some dilute sulphuric acid to it (enough to cover it all) and reheat it, it Should all dissolve to leave a light clear blue soln of copper sulphate.

edit: and if after 10 mins you see no change, add a little H2O2, and try again.

[Edited on 17-1-2008 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-1-2008 at 12:02

Do not heat it, you will only evaporate noxious copper fumes. CuCl2 has a high vapor pressure, and probably half your copper metal will be lost as fumes if you heat it to dryness.

If you must process it, break it up mechanically and apply aqueous chemistry. You might reduce to Cu(0), treat with base to Cu2O (rusty looking!) and/or with acid to get a combination of CuCl and CuCl2, or CuSO4 and Cu(0), etc., or with oxidizer to get just Cu(II). Cu2O of course can be roasted in air to a composition nearly CuO, which can be dissolved in acid, or reduced (with carbon or as a thermite charge) to pure metal.

Chrome plated tools will not react with copper salts very much. Steel will not react with dry salts (I suppose your product may've absorbed moisture). A piece of titanium, if you have some, will not react with a damn thing. I would not recommend pounding on a ceramic of any kind, even SiC, etc., if you had such a piece.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 01:55

I need some help with the chemical reaction of copper I chloride synthesis. I reacted copper II sulfate with sodium chloride in one beaker and then created another beaker with a solution of sodium hydroxide and sodium metabisulfite. I mixed the two solutions and that produced a snow white ppt of copper I chloride.

Now I need to know what happened. Here's what I see happening. When NaCl was added to CuSO4 5H20, the result was Na2SO4 and CuCl2 (copper II chloride).

Then I added the metabisulfite to reduce Cu++ to Cu+. But what is the function of NaOH?

And how you would write the chemical reaction of adding sodium metabisulfite and sodium hydroxide?

Is it: NaOH + NaHSO3 + CuCl2 + Na2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + CuCl ??

Can someone help me? thanks.

[Edited on 21-6-2011 by jamit]

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 14:28

Metabisulfite is Na2S2O5, not NaHSO3. Reaction with sodium hydroxide leads to sodium sulfite, Na2SO3, if I'm not mistaken.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-6-2011 at 22:57

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Metabisulfite is Na2S2O5, not NaHSO3. Reaction with sodium hydroxide leads to sodium sulfite, Na2SO3, if I'm not mistaken.

So are you saying that the reaction is something like this:

NaOH + Na2S2O5 + CuCl2 --> CuCl + Na2SO3.

So is sodium hydroxide converting the metabisulfite into a sulfite in solution and that in turn reduces the Cu++ to Cu+.

What do you think?
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 02:51

Your reaction equation is wrong. Metabisulfite has sulphur in oxidation state +4 and sulfite also has. The sulphur does not change redox state in your equation, while the copper does. This reaction is not possible.

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 05:42

It is also not a balanced equation.
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 06:00

I tried to figure out a reaction for the reduction of copper(II) chloride with metabisulfite and it appears that the reaction cannot be stated as one balanced equation; there are several possible results.

hibernating...
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 06:59

There is exactly one possibility. Metabisulfite is oxidized to sulfate and copper(II) is reduced to copper(I).

In water, S2O5(2-) becomes mostly SO2 + SO3(2-) and both are oxidized to sulfate. The net equation in terms of solid compounds is as follows:

S2O5(2-) --> SO2 + SO3(2-)

[SO2 + SO3(2-)] + 4Cu(2+) + 4Cl(-) + 3H2O --> 2SO4(2-) + 4CuCl + 6H(+)

The solution becomes acidic in this reaction. CuCl will precipitate.

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2011 at 07:19

As far as I know metabisulfite is hydrolysed in water to form two HSO3(2) ions?
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 24-6-2011 at 03:49

Reply in ass mode: No, two HSO3(-) ions are formed :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply in chemistry mode: Yes, you are right. The discussion in the previous post was a more formal one in order to make things not more complicated than they already are.

Actually, the situation is even more complicated. Keep inmind that the ion S2O5(2-) has the following structure: [O3S-SO2](2-). There is a direct S-S bond in this ion. It is not like pyrosulfate, where there is an -S-O-S- core in the ion.

When water is nearby, then it bonds through its somewhat negatively charged oxygen to the SO2-side of the ion, and all charge is repelled towards the O3S part of the ion. The ion breaks apart and gives an SO3(2-) part and a O2S:OH2 part (O2S:OH2 is not the same as what we write as H2SO3, it only exists a very brief period of time as an intermediate). Because negative charge is drawn away from the oxygen in the water molecule and distributed over the entire molecule, the latter particle quickly looses one proton and becomes O2SOH(-) and the proton quickly combines with the SO3(2-) to form another O2SOH(-) ion.

Secondary, there are equilibria in which H2SO3 and H2O + SO2 are formed. For this reason, a metabisulfite solution always has a smell of SO2, albeit a weak one.

Go To Top