Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: stupid still or probably the user
shadow
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2008 at 08:55
stupid still or probably the user

My setup has 24/40 fittings, and my heat source have varied from a camp stove, coleman stove, heater stirrer, to glas-col mantle.
The distillate goes up the adapter, collects, and rains back down into the flask, with very little going out into the condenser.
How can I improve the efficiency of this simple setup?
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 25-1-2008 at 09:06

Try lagging the column.

Some other threads talk about speeding up distillation - I think this one might :
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?goto=lastp...
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 27-1-2008 at 15:28

What are you distilling?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-1-2008 at 21:59

There's not close to enough information here. A description of the setup would include the type and length of the column, the type of distillation head and the material being distilled. Without these specifics no one can address the problem except in total speculation. It sounds like a column flooding problem caused by excessive cooling but I really need the details.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 27-1-2008 at 23:26

One simple fix would be to wrap the distillation adapter in aluminum foil or something similar. It will help to keep the vapor hor to get it into the condensor. It may also reduce the purity of your compound if two distillables are present, as mixtures will be able to pass together easier. Then again, if you were actually concerned about purity, you'd probably be using a fractionating column.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-1-2008 at 16:00

I assumed he had a column of some kind and wrapping and/or heating it would solve the problem but he doesn't say that does he? He says the distillate falls back down from inside the head. So the v.p. is so low that distillation isn't starting at the operating temperature. More heat is indicated. I also wonder if the setup is leaky?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
shadow
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 23:12

Thank you all for the responses.
The distillate is tap water.
The "lab" temperature has been around 50 F lately, I'm sure that had something to do with it.
The foil seemed to help.
A large coffee can on top of an electric 1500 watt stove heater(air bath) with the foil seemed to work but the output was only 1 drop every second or less.
I was expecting more.
Something cracked my 500ml RB flask in all this effort.
I sealed the system and was able to increase pressure in the system.(everything is clamped and sealed)
I also changed the condenser to one with less volume.
I was hoping to get a steady stream from the setup, I'm sure I can rig up a tea kettle to blow steam into the condenser at a far greater rate than the flask.
In Vogel's the simple distillation setup shows distillation flask with a side arm.
The side arms are usually around 7mm to 11mm. There is no mention of how the side arm is sealed to the condenser.
My condenser inlets are 24/40.
How are these pieces sealed?
thanks ahead,
GC
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 02:17

Water is hard enough to boil as it is... that said, you can't just heat a flask on top of a stove heater using an air bath and expect it to work woth a damn... basically your simply not transferring enough heat to get the job done... hell my 1L heating mantle only puts out 380 watts of power, yet it will easily heat and distill something over 200ÂșC... and thats with the power below 70%!

And I'm not sure anyone has told you this, but NEVER EVER SEAL A DISTILLATION SETUP UNLESS YOU WANT to risk AN EXPLOSION!!!!! That is probably the cardinal rul of stills.

If you want to know how a glass still looks when all the pieces are all connected, it looks like something below:

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Go To Top