Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  60
Author: Subject: Latest chemical order?
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 22-11-2012 at 10:27

Yes, long term storage of nasty things!

Hopefully the sketchy web store actually works and sends my caps. Shipping was a huge ripoff, like usual from the States

I also bought Len1's book on amazon.ca. "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months" WTF?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Swede
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2012 at 06:47

Back when I was selling MMO anodes and shipping them from the USA worldwide, the shipping costs were extreme... I hope you understand it is the shipping companies that are ripping us all off, not the chemical companies. :)

The options were typically like this...

Private shipping companies - $25 to $50 and a week to 10 days
Postal services premium express mail - same deal
Surface shipments - $12, but 6 to 8 weeks!

So it's a no-win situation. Then, there's customs fees and sometimes customs confiscations, which the buyer sometimes blames on the shipper! Of course, in those cases, it's the country laws themselves which are at fault.

Re: the book, my guess is it is a print to order book.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-11-2012 at 15:00

1L of 50% HF in what seems to be an inappropriate bottle... Now I am debating disposing of it or rebottling it into something more suitable... Damn.
borrowedlawyer
Harmless

Mood: Halogenating...

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 01:58

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
1L of 50% HF in what seems to be an inappropriate bottle... Now I am debating disposing of it or rebottling it into something more suitable... Damn.

Don't dispose of it like that guy did with hydrazine :(. Try and find a polypropylene or Ryton (PPS) or Teflon container as they are suitable for storage according to a compatibility chart.

If you can't find one, convert it to a salt and ship it to me ;).

[Edited on 26-11-2012 by borrowedlawyer]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 05:36

Quote: Originally posted by borrowedlawyer  

Don't dispose of it like that guy did with hydrazine :(. Try and find a polypropylene or Ryton (PPS) or Teflon container as they are suitable for storage according to a compatibility chart.

If you can't find one, convert it to a salt and ship it to me ;).

[Edited on 26-11-2012 by borrowedlawyer]

I just took it because the person was throwing it away, it's double contained. When I opened the first container I was greeted by a thick plastic bottle made of some sort of plastic that has a yellow tint to it, also it isn't the chemical suppliers bottle. The plastic seems very fragile, like I could fracture the bottle by squeezing it. Ill leave it as is until I buy a better bottle and a tube of calcium gluconate gel.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 30-11-2012 at 13:31

Just ordered some small volumes of,

aniline
formaldehyde
sulfuric acid
30% ammonium hydroxide soln.
toluene
and some new electrodes! :)

Can't wait for them to come! Finally have enough glass-ware to actually work on some fun synthesis projects.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2012 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  

aniline
formaldehyde
sulfuric acid
toluene

Can't wait for them to come! Finally have enough glass-ware to actually work on some fun synthesis projects.

Aniline! Nice! I'm looking for a source of it in Canada but it is proving to be difficult. I just bought a small cylinder of argon from BOC gases, still need to find an affordable regulator though.
smaerd
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2012 at 14:30

Will elemental scientific ship to Canada? It's pretty expensive from them(18$ for ~114g). Then again it sure beats making benzene, making nitric acid, nitrating and reducing. I'm sure some amateurs will disagree with that, but I'm content with saving my benzene for other E.A.S. reactions. Aniline opens a lot of synthetic door-ways really excited! I'm still waiting on getting an inert gas tank(probably go cheap and go for N2), I don't really need one yet, but it sure would be nice for some of the research projects I have in mind.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2012 at 14:57

Will elemental scientific ship to Canada? It's pretty expensive from them(18$ for ~114g). Then again it sure beats making benzene, making nitric acid, nitrating and reducing. I'm sure some amateurs will disagree with that, but I'm content with saving my benzene for other E.A.S. reactions. Aniline opens a lot of synthetic door-ways really excited! I'm still waiting on getting an inert gas tank(probably go cheap and go for N2), I don't really need one yet, but it sure would be nice for some of the research projects I have in mind.

They ship to Canada but the price is ridiculous... I wouldn't mind paying their price for the chemical but if I remember correctly including shipping, a poison pack and something else but I forget what, it was going to be like 60 bucks for the smallest size :( screw that! I have benzene but I'd rather keep it for other projects.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 30-11-2012 at 15:01

Benzene can be easily made in ridiculous quantities. Anyone can get ahold of sodium benzoate and sodium hydroxide. In the mindset of a home chemist it is a "renewable" resource. I don't see why you'd want to "save" it. Make a liter and convert it to nitrobenzene, bromobenzene, chlorobenzene, alkylbenzenes and acylbenzenes... Then you're set!

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2012 at 15:13

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Benzene can be easily made in ridiculous quantities. Anyone can get ahold of sodium benzoate and sodium hydroxide. In the mindset of a home chemist it is a "renewable" resource. I don't see why you'd want to "save" it. Make a liter and convert it to nitrobenzene, bromobenzene, chlorobenzene, alkylbenzenes and acylbenzenes... Then you're set!

Right now my current living situation makes it difficult to make benzene unfortunately. Living in the city with lots of snoop-a-holics on all three sides of my backyard makes me leery of doing it out there. Indoors is out of the question, some things I will do but distilling benzene? Hmmm nah! I'm "saving" the almost 1l I have because it is mallinckrodt reagent grade and was pretty damned expensive when I bought it. I'm not that pressed to get aniline anyways, although it would be nice :P

Also just got back from the "chemical store" in town and got:

4 litres glacial acetic - 21.99 CAD
4 litres 28% ammonia solution- 12.95 CAD
4 litres denatured EtOH - 18 CAD

The chemical store is like the candy shop for chemists!

[Edited on 1-12-2012 by Mailinmypocket]

[Edited on 1-12-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 00:42

aniline
formaldehyde
sulfuric acid
toluene

Aniline! Nice! I'm looking for a source of it in Canada but it is proving to be difficult. I just bought a small cylinder of argon from BOC gases, still need to find an affordable regulator though.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311&...

Link for ebay search, first one only 2 bucks so far if you read this in 12 hours or less. Looks like several are around 50 bucks for what it's worth. Wondering if a Nitrogen regulator could be used. Seems like 3 to 4 thousand PSI maximum is typical for a tank of either gas.

Out of curiosity I searched for mercury metal, seems like you can no longer list it. Just a few years ago I saw it in many listings. Has ebay become a wasteland for much of our hobby? Getting impossible to find many things now which sucks as private parties getting rid of their lab supplies used to be great for bargains.

[Edited on 12-1-2012 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 01:35

Aniline! Nice! I'm looking for a source of it in Canada but it is proving to be difficult.

Try buying acetanilide. In the US at least, this is not considered hazardous for shipping, it is a solid, and it is rapidly hydrolyzed by warming with HCl and then basifying. The dark oil is then steam distilled, salted out, dried with NaOH or KOH, and vacuum distilled to water-clear aniline in good yield.

[Edited on 12-1-12 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
smaerd
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 04:52

Pretty sure aniline hydrochloride also gets around the hazardous shipping.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 07:37

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

Aniline! Nice! I'm looking for a source of it in Canada but it is proving to be difficult.

Try buying acetanilide. In the US at least, this is not considered hazardous for shipping, it is a solid, and it is rapidly hydrolyzed by warming with HCl and then basifying. The dark oil is then steam distilled, salted out, dried with NaOH or KOH, and vacuum distilled to water-clear aniline in good yield.

[Edited on 12-1-12 by UnintentionalChaos]

That sounds like a relatively easy method and an interesting process. I can get acetanilide on eBay - Thanks! Ill give it a try :)

IrC: I placed a bid on the first one, my cylinder is at 11,500kPa so that regulator can easily handle it. I was just a bit uncertain of buying those on eBay due to safety concerns but it looks fine. Still 12 hours on the bid though so we will see where it gets to.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 13:20

Appears you have been outbid by half a buck with 6 hours to go. Looks like NOS just stored somewhere the box got a little roughed up. If you get it for under $40 you are still saving money.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 20:17

Has anyone seen the eBay listing of 5 chemical bottles for $100? It was a pain in the butt to decode all the CAS numbers and all the good stuff appears to be gone. I did get a few good things out of it :)

Also, has anyone heard of http://www.erlenmeyers.com/? I ordered some super fancy GL45 bottle caps, but they haven't even processed the order yet >: ( thank gawd for paypal

mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2012 at 19:37

Yay my expensive-ass caps shipped!

To bad I won't be able to do any experiments for a long time :( moving

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 3-12-2012 at 19:42

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Yay my expensive ass-caps shipped!

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2012 at 20:47

Haha Yes

TheChemINC
Hazard to Self

Mood: fuming

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 17:40

2lb KOH
500ml Tert-Butanol
1lb Ammonium Perchlorate
1lb German Dark Al
1lb Magnalium
1lb KCLO4

and a bunch of other glassware :)
sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 18:17

Not really chemicals, but I just got some items from elemental scientific...

2 150ml Pyrex beakers
2 250ml Pyrex beakers
1 400ml Pyrex beaker
1 600ml Pyrex beaker
1 1000ml Pyrex beaker
2 250ml Pyrex Erlenmeyer flasks
1 500ml Pyrex Erlenmeyer flask
1 1000ml Pyrex Erlenmeyer flask
1 Thermometer, -30 to 50 C
2 Thermometer, -10 to 250 C
1 Thermometer, -10 to 400 C
1 Filter Paper, Qualitative, Fast Flow, 70mm

The thermometers are all nice mercury ones, and the glass is all Pyrex, and all for less than $90 too. :) I love elemental...

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 21:32

5g Pt on carbon, 5%
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 08:24

Quote: Originally posted by Kaifas  
Sodium salts dissolves much better than potassium salts so it is reason to use both potassium and sodium. I use oxidizers to do some Copper perclorate (binds strongly to nitrogen bases) and copper(III) compounds and making different copper complexes . Copper(I)cyanade goes to Gillman reagents. Copper(II)chloride is starting material to do Glacer couplings. Copper powder goes to Ullman coupling reactions.

Sodium nitrate is exellent for mild nitration systems because of good solubility.

It is difficult to byu chemicals here too.

Except for the hydroxide in ethanol;

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 08:34

Occasionally you'll see one chemical for sale on ebay, and the rest of the stuff junk. In this category I've: Nitroethane, propiophenone, and I believe 3-4-5 trimethoxy benzaldehyde>. That is a set up, and order any one of these, just realize you'll be scrutinized for at least 2 years, if not more.

all dea needs to do these days is place a CAM (short for a dedicated GC). If the cam smells the right smell, you will be scrutinized even further.

It's kind of queer (NOT that there is anything wrong with it) how different chemicals/API's are restricted or not depending on local. From what I understand, buying anti-histamines is very difficult in Au, as are Amino Acids. Go figure?!

In Germany, Melatonin is very watched, and can only be supplied by a physician for a 20 day supply, no refills.

Tramadol is culprit numero uno basically in the whole middle east. Strange.

[Edited on 5-12-2012 by Fennel Ass Ih Tone]
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  60

Go To Top