Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 05:42

Priceless...................... :D

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 14:17

Damn, bet the shipping on an HCl tank would be a bugger.

And 70% HF? oleum? jesus H. Thats the sort of thing that probably shouldn't be sold via ebay, lest inexperienced chemists stumble upon them, especially the HF.

Phosphorus fairly often appears, although often in small quantities for element collector's samples. He's even seen violet P once, going for some £20 a gram, for a few small broken up chunk crystals. Tsath's hoping his attempts will lead to being able to grow single crystals, both for himself and for other element collectors, in order to both be able to provide fine crystals of the allotrope and make himself some money to put into his equipment and reagent funds.

And to try and get himself a really good piece of native tellurium, like that astonishing and really rather beautiful, gemstone-quality crystal of native Te on sylvanite theodore gray has. Great looking thing, growing out of a long sylvanite crystalline rod, the crystal form kind of looks like bismuth, only with the steps inverse in direction, shape-wise, shiny and most definitely a potent inducer of lurid, radioactive-green covetous envy:D
CalAm
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 04:16

Purchased 1kg of Calcium carbide (5-15mm) for $33.47aud today, i don't have many projects planned for it but the deal was to good to pass on.
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 11:33

CaC2 can be useful for drying alcohols, after first the usual methods of predrying, especially sensitive ones that wouldn't take to distillation over CaO. Predry first, and distill from CaC2 and it will react with the last traces of H2O, forming acetylene.
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 14:01

i just made my 2nd order from Mario today so im very excited to get that! Also picked up a gallon of Toluene.Also soon im strongly considering ordering a 12-pack of Brakleen which contains Tetrachloroethylene and which is very useful to me.
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 14:13

Been meaning to put in some myself, my first order from him went perfectly, he even combined shipping after I wanted to add something late, while he waited to receive the first items to send me. Thanks mario.

Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 15:08

Mario is amazing, he deserves alot of praise for all the help he provides.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 15:50

1 g 10% palladium on carbon
950 ml formic acid
1 lb sodium chlorite
500 g polyphosphoric acid
500 ml propionic acid

Plus some more glass beakers. So now I have way more sodium chlorite than I'll ever need... Does anyone want to purchase some? :D
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 21:59
Acquisition of Sodium Chloride

February 21, 2017

I purchased a 730 gram canister of sodium chloride at a local shop. This is the third time I've done this in a week, and the store personnel appear suspicious of my large volume sodium chloride purchases. I'd rather not have to come up with a cover story to hide my chemistry activities (for example: "Oh haha, I just like to make beef jerky in the middle of the night."), so I'm going to have to look for a new supplier.

Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 08:09

i wish i had invested in a large stock of Palladium about a decade ago when the price was super low. nowadays its ridiculous.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 08:29

I bought some a long time ago... I think it was 5 grams of palladium chloride for $35. That will get you about a gram now.

I wouldn't mind having some now, but I'd definitely want to try to get a good deal on it.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 05:41

I obtained 100 grams of sodium metal. It's starting to feel like I have a half decent lab now :)

Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 07:28

I bought four bottles of asprin, 560 pills in all, and containing 182g of ASA. Total cost $4.22.

I wonder what the people at the store think, a 15 year old buying 25 lethal doses of aspirin:P. I've also bought bleach, ammonia, two pounds of salt, half a gallon of windshield washing fluid, and four tubes of toothpaste (extracting fluoride is a huge mess, waste of money) there so they must be used to it.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
February 21, 2017

I purchased a 730 gram canister of sodium chloride at a local shop. This is the third time I've done this in a week, and the store personnel appear suspicious of my large volume sodium chloride purchases. I'd rather not have to come up with a cover story to hide my chemistry activities (for example: "Oh haha, I just like to make beef jerky in the middle of the night."), so I'm going to have to look for a new supplier.

It is not the shop keepers business to know how much salt you require to have brine baths for that 'personal' problem :)

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 13:08

Quote: Originally posted by Geocachmaster  
I bought four bottles of asprin, 560 pills in all, and containing 182g of ASA. Total cost $4.22.

I wonder what the people at the store think, a 15 year old buying 25 lethal doses of aspirin:P. I've also bought bleach, ammonia, two pounds of salt, half a gallon of windshield washing fluid, and four tubes of toothpaste (extracting fluoride is a huge mess, waste of money) there so they must be used to it.

That's only 2-3 lethal doses of aspirin, right?

Most people think it is completely cool that you are doing chemistry, but there are some who are convinced that hobby chemists are up to no good. I'm really not very worried about it, but I have had to explain very adamantly to more than one person that under no circumstances will I make any drugs for them.

[Edited on 28-2-2017 by JJay]

Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 14:02

@JJay Hmm, I was going off of this wiki page about methyl salicylate. It says that 20 300mg pills is nearing the lowest published lethal dose of 101mg/kg. I should read more carefully. It seems that a more accurate number would be 300-500mg/kg. Using the lower limit there should be around 10 lethal doses then, for a 60Kg individual like myself.

And yeah, I find many people just think at home chemistry is cool. Then there are people like the woman I saw while purchasing some surplus glassware at a local college. She asked "Are you making drugs?" and was not satisfied with my answer of no. Then she told me not to blow up my parents house. She came off as very rude. I suppose most of the public is ignorant to chemistry though, so I can't blame her.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-3-2017 at 23:52

I bought some magnesium.

Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 08:01

got some 98% Food Grade Glacial Acetic Acid. Not sure how good food grade is but i assume its close to tech grade.
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 09:47

Quote: Originally posted by Db33  
got some 98% Food Grade Glacial Acetic Acid. Not sure how good food grade is but i assume its close to tech grade.

Ususally food grade is better quality compared to technical. Technical grade is not meant for human consumption and thus has impurities which potentially could be harmful.
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 12:26

yeah im surprised, i got it today and it says 99.85% pure. Im surprised ive never had GAA before, but i have dealt with ACetic Anhydride, and even though it doesnt smell quite the same, it still has a very strong smell coming threw the bottle.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 13:05

A little bit of water makes a big difference in the freezing point. Anhydrous GAA will freeze in a cool room.

http://askavantor.force.com/articles/FAQ/Freezing-Points-of-...

Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 14:02

Isopropylamine 500ml
Maleic anhydide 250g
Sodium dithionite 85% 250g
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2017 at 19:09

i dunno why i do this, i could have easily left it in the shitty plastic container but i like putting my chems in better looking glass bottles and labeling them with a little labeler i have.

So this is what my Citric Acid looks like

Zn01LNV.jpg - 23kB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-3-2017 at 02:11

500 ml HBr (48%)
500 ml dimethylcarbonate (99%)

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2017 at 12:31

i am officially retarded. i bought a 30ml bottle of Analytical grade Aniline for $30, plus $15 for shipping because i honestly thought that was the only source for it! Now i realize there are MUCH cheaper sources with far greater a mounts. i dont think ill be ordering from that company again, they seem to sell only Analytical grade chems.
 Pages:  1  ..  33    35    37  ..  60

Go To Top