Pages:  1  ..  36    38    40  ..  60
Author: Subject: Latest chemical order?
myristicinaldehyde
Hazard to Others

Mood: сорок пять

[*] posted on 8-8-2017 at 10:59

300g Oxalic acid
50g sodium bromide
1lb potassium nitrate (not reagent grade...)

And a thermometer, which broke in transit :mad: Oh well, just have to wait another 2 weeks.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-8-2017 at 17:11

This. :)

2017-08-14 07.22.32 resized.jpg - 101kB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-8-2017 at 12:09

Not a real chemical order for experiments, but a very beautiful set of samples:
- 1 g of rubidium
- `10 g of cesium
- 25 g of zinc

The cesium was quite expensive (170 euros), the rubidium also was quite expensive (55 euros) , but when my wife told me to buy this, in order to make the collection of elements nearly complete, I decided to do it. I have been waiting for this for a long time already and now I had the opportunity to buy a top-quality sample of cesium for a price, which was down by more than 30% since last year. Below follows a picture of the ampoule I have.

cesium.jpg - 42kB

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 21-8-2017 at 13:30

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Not a real chemical order for experiments, but a very beautiful set of samples:
- 1 g of rubidium
- `10 g of cesium
- 25 g of zinc

The cesium was quite expensive (170 euros), the rubidium also was quite expensive (55 euros) , but when my wife told me to buy this, in order to make the collection of elements nearly complete, I decided to do it. I have been waiting for this for a long time already and now I had the opportunity to buy a top-quality sample of cesium for a price, which was down by more than 30% since last year. Below follows a picture of the ampoule I have.

Pretty sweet wife!

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-8-2017 at 14:54

Gorgeous sample woelen. I love that golden colour of Cs.
Ditto to TVC's comment.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 04:39

A full 100 grams of bis-(2,4,5-trichloro-6-(pentyloxycarbonyl)phenyl)oxalate for only EUR 23 (simply on eBay, 6 items left, search for CPPO).
The name of this stuff is abbreviated as CPPO. It is a chemical, which can be used to make extremely strong and long-lasting chemiluminiscent solutions. Certain oxidizers (e.h. H2O2) at slightly alkaline pH can cause an intense pale blue glow, when brought in contact with this chemical. With certain fluorescent dyes it is possible to convert the bluish light to other colors. E.g. Rhodamine B can be added to the mix for deep red fluorescence. I expect fluorescein to cause bright yellow/green fluorescence.

In some countries this material is used in glow-sticks, which are plastic sticks filled with a solution of H2O2 in which there is a smaller glass stick, filled with a solution of CPPO in an organic solvent. On breaking of the glass, the two liquids mix and then there is a bright glow. For other colors than the pale blue/white, additional fluorescent dye is dissolved together with the CPPO.

This stuff is hard to make for an amateur. It requires the use of oxalyl chloride and chloro triphenol, both of which are quite nasty and hard to obtain. I once tried to make the latter, but the intense smell of this which remains lingering for a long time, made me stop the experiment. It was very unpleasant.
CPPO itself is much more easy to handle, only its precursors are such nasties.

[Edited on 9-10-17 by woelen]

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 04:46

Sounds like fun, woelen!
FWIW, nurdrage made his own TCPO (bis(2,4,6-trichlorophenyl) oxalate) which is a similar compound -- presumably it works by the same mechanism. Buying it seems a lot less fuss though.
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 12:33

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
A full 100 grams of bis-(2,4,5-trichloro-6-(pentyloxycarbonyl)phenyl)oxalate for only EUR 23 (simply on eBay, 6 items left, search for CPPO).

[Edited on 9-10-17 by woelen]

He also does 50g for about 2/3 of that price. He also has cheap PTFE beakers great for HF use.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 12:54

Could you extract CPPO from used glowsticks? Because you could easily collect collect sacks of them at certain concert venues for free.

I just accidentally ordered too much elemental selenium, and want to experiment with it, but this stuff doesn't seem very reactive at all. It seems like it oxidizes to white crystals slightly when it's molten in a test tube, but I'm worried about possibly catching it on fire and getting poison selenium dioxide everywhere. Nitric acid can oxidize it, but only slowly, and apparently not very well. I have at least 100 grams of the stuff now, and am coming to the realization that I don't have any ideas for what to do with it.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 07:04

I did some experimenting with the CPPO. It does noty produce any light in aqueous solution. You need an organic solvent, both for the H2O2 and the CPPO.

I dissolved some CPPO in methyl acetate (ethyl acetate is better, but I'll have to buy some of that again). I also added a tiny pinch of Rhodamine G (available from eBay for a few euros).
In a separate test tube I extracted some H2O2 from a 30 % aqueous solution with amyl alcohol (ethyl acetate also works, methyl acetate does not work, it is miscible with water).
I mixed the solution of H2O2 with the solution of CPPO and rhodamine G. The result is a bright orange glow. This stuff really is amazing! When cleaning up this stuff, I poured it in the sink and that resulted in an orange glow with bright yellow spots everywehere. These bright yellow spots were at places, where there was some left over alkalinity from NaOH/Na2CO3 from an earlier experiment. This was not the smartest thing to do. It was really freaky to see the glow everywhere. While cleaning up with pieces of paper tussue, I also got it on my hands, on the workbench and it lasted long. Right now, I have pink stains on my hands, in the sink, on the workbench, and I have thrown away the towel with which I wiped clean.

Just ordered 2 liters of ethyl acetate and a liter of butyl acetate.

[Edited on 29-10-17 by woelen]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 11:58

I ordered some oxalic acid. Right now I'm shopping for tricalcium phosphate.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2017 at 10:25

I stopped by the hardware store for a few things, and while I was there I picked up some 99% boric acid roach killer. I wonder what the other 1% is....

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 04:13

The other 1% is unspecified. The boric acid is at least 99% pure, the rest is impurities. This can be moisture, sodium borates, or other compounds, depending on how the boric acid was made and purified.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 08:08

I suspected probably moisture. I might try purifying it, although that is probably not necessary.

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 18:10

If it is just moisture, could you dry a sample to constant weight and calculate the weight loss?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2017 at 20:52

I ordered some random health supplements:

Citric Acid
L-Phenylalanine
Ascorbic Acid
L-Alanine
Niacin
Glycine
Phenylethylamine HCl

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 18-11-2017 at 21:01

Cool, JJay. Those are definitely in my sight eventually.
I just picked up some tetrachloroethylene and starter fluid for the first time, which I used in a (failed) phenolphthalein synth. Forgot the darned H2SO4....at least it didn't just fail for no reason.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-11-2017 at 01:27

I bought four bottles of aspirin, each containing 500 325 mg pills, so I can make some salicylic acid. I remember thinking on my way to the checkout, "They're probably going to suspect that I'm committing suicide or making meth, " but nobody batted an eyelash.

WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 2-12-2017 at 12:59

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I bought four bottles of aspirin, each containing 500 325 mg pills, so I can make some salicylic acid. I remember thinking on my way to the checkout, "They're probably going to suspect that I'm committing suicide or making meth, " but nobody batted an eyelash.

A overdose of aspirin is unlikely to be fatal unless you ingest a fuckload of them. 100 of the 325mg pills is in the 'potentially lethal dose' range if you're a skinny prick of 50kg.

acetaminophen on the other hand is highly likely to cause death from acute liver failure at a dose of around 40 - 50 500mg tablets regardless of your weight. A slow agonizing death over a few days... a very stupid method of suicide. But it's not all bad... you've got 36 hrs to get you arse to hospital and it's a big bag of IV n-acetylcystiene to the rescue and you'll be fine... In fact as I take the stuff everyday for OCD anyway I'll figure I'll neck about 300 pills of panadol a day for a laugh cos why not aye? :P

Oh yeah... chemical order: GABA

And today I'll buy some PVC solvent to distill the THF from it... salicylic acid from aspirin sounds interesting though!
Perchlorate
Harmless

Mood: Strongly Oxidising, with the possibility of fire

[*] posted on 2-12-2017 at 13:08

I managed to find a sale for 4L of 99.9% Acetonitrile, and I couldn't resist. Now I just need to think of what to do with this quantity of Acetonitrile...

I also bought 1L of nn-Dimethyl Formamide, and a large amount of Chlorobenzene. All of this cost me just the equivalent of 82.05 USD, including shipping, so I'm feeling happy. :D
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2017 at 16:39

I got some sodium. It is crusty white with sodium oxides or sodium hydroxide, but it is also 100 grams more than I ordered, and the price was right.

IMG_20171202_152648.jpg - 470kB

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 01:22

Just got 2 pounds Urea, and pound each MnSO4, and ZnSO4. Pretty good price, too.

Still seeking harder-to-find reactants: alkali metals, halides, hydrides, phosphorus and its compounds, halogenating agents, some transition metal catalysts, and organic halide, aldehyde, and nitro building blocks.

Some seem like you just can't get, others only at steep prices. Sigh. And to think about how many departmental discards I used to have access to.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 23:46

I placed an order for 500 grams of 98% H3PO4 and 500 ml of SO2Cl(OH).
Both are quite special and allow experimenting under anhydrous conditions in strongly polar solvents.

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 01:16

8 oz LiCO3
4 oz V2O5
1 lb SnCl2
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 03:37

Wow, LiCO3 :o
That's really special, you took it from another universe with divalent lithium? :D

Pages:  1  ..  36    38    40  ..  60

Go To Top