fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2018 at 13:53

Why don't we bin this thread?

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 19:25

Ajkoer the reaction mechanism you posted did not produce h2s.
And sulfur linked plastics are not used to store acids. They react.
Polyethylene is used to store acid. It doesn't react.
enceladus
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 08:57

macckone

No I'm not a PhD. Yes, I'm annoying. I should have never went on a tangent like that immediately after thanking you for your time and thought. I certainly wasn't trying to take a shot at you by calling you non-ideal.. I was mostly just rambling. The point I was trying to make was that I didn't expect a definite or comprehensive answer. I only meant that I had been hoping for some possible candidates. I just assumed that there couldn't be that many sulfur compounds that would be likely to appear in such a specific application so even if I ended up with a dozen or so compounds to investigate, I might be able to come up with a realistic hypothesis on my own.

I can see now that I did word my reply badly; and was overly defensive. I would never ask anyone to hand me their conclusions when I'm well within my means to find them on my own. Accepting an answer before you even understand what you're asking is just faith; something I could never find a use for.

I've decided that I would be foolish to write this place off as a resource... But I would not object if this thread were put to bed.

I'll try not top be quite so annoying in the future.

Peace.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 04:59

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  

There is also more evidence suggesting a radical based mechanism at room temperature (see p.513 at https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/4/jresv4n4p501_A2b.pd... ) to quote:

"Fry and Porritt found that hydrogen sulphide is evolved from hard rubber at ordinary temperatures in diffused sunlight and air, due to the decomposition of the rubber-sulphur compound, and that the rate of evolution is increased by exposure to direct sunlight, as well as by a rise in temperature."

where sunlight induces radical formations.

[Edited on 30-10-2018 by AJKOER]

I am not sure if the plastic in question has been subject to vulcanization as is done with rubber. A google search states that:

"The term “plastics” includes materials composed of various elements such as carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, chlorine, and sulfur."

A difficult and inaccurate test for significant presence of sulfur, grind up a piece of the plastic in question, then encase in clear plastic wrap and treat with sunlight (or try briefly heating in a microwave). Open up the wrap in a dilute solution of H2O2. Any signs of particles of sulfur? Reaction:

H2O2 + H2S (g) = 2 H2O + S (s)

If yes, test the clear plastic wrap alone as the possible source of the amount of visible S.

[Edited on 6-11-2018 by AJKOER]
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
6-11-2018 at 09:35
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top