Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Welcome Nicodem, the newest moderator
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

thumbup.gif posted on 20-2-2008 at 12:03
Welcome Nicodem, the newest moderator

Nicodem has long been one of our more active and well-informed members, particularly in the area of organic chemistry. He has accepted a position as the newest member of the moderation team to keep an eye on organic chemistry threads and generally help SM keep working smoothly. I have been occupied with non-SM activities a lot over the past year, and other members of the mod team too have outside commitments, so it was great to learn that Nicodem was willing and able to spend some of his time here moderating. Thanks, Nicodem!

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 20-2-2008 at 17:16

Great! I noticed a couple days ago that his status here was upgraded. Thanks Nicodem!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
syntelman
Harmless

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 20-2-2008 at 23:41

Yeah, thanks and congratulations! :)
I can't really think of anyone better fit to moderate the ochem forums!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 21-2-2008 at 00:19

good call!

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-2-2008 at 23:53

Nicodem, thanks for accepting this position!
Congratulations and good luck!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
LSD25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Psychotic (Who said that? I know you're there...)

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 23:32

Good luck Nicodem,

Quite frankly I cannot think of anyone more deserving of such a position, I just wonder if you deserve what will come with it on this forum?

Whhhoooppps, that sure didn't work
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 00:19

Well, thanks to all.

LSD25, I'm perfectly fine with the concept and rules on this forum. I know you (and obviously some other members) don't like the moratorium on political discussions, but you were not here when that rule was established. At the time it was the only solution against the endless flame wars. Personally I found those "discussions" very entertaining since members would spit on each others due to ideological crap that was not even their own, but more like "as seen on TV" or taken from other propaganda sources. I was even stupid enough to incite and participate in such flame wars just for the fun of it. Nowadays, I'm really sorry for that, since I did that on the wrong premise that intelligent people could not fall victims of propaganda (but unfortunately not all intelligent people are able to think analytically). In reality those kinds of "discussions" only promoted hatred among the membership and for many were anything but fun. I just hope someday you realize that ideology has no place in a forum like this. Most members here are after the knowledge and not power!
LSD25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Psychotic (Who said that? I know you're there...)

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 03:58

No, I'd actually prefer to see those rules applied to the fullest possible extent. I am more than happy not to discuss, or to be forced to ignore, the repeated assertations of idealogy of any sort in a chemistry forum. I am willing to see such kept to a minimum and segragated from the actual chemistry, however, I have serious difficulty with being penalised for responding to semi-personal attacks from arrogant arseholes.

Nonetheless, I don't actually have any difficulty with you, I simply removed information which would be able to be used as a further platform to attack the interest some members have for drug-related chemistry. This is obviously not the forum for the discussion of the same, my personal likes and/or dislikes are left out of it. Once this conclusion is reached, it is apparent that such material and the papers and journal articles related to the same, should be kept out of this forum and contributed somewhere where they are likely to be appreciated (perhaps even Totse).

If this is what is necessary to make this forum a happier, more charitable place, then so be it. I am still happy to ask questions and contribute what little I am able to other parts of this site. However, I will not be party to the continued publication of material on this site where that material is not to the liking of other members. I fail to understand how this is irrational?

Whhhoooppps, that sure didn't work
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 07:34

Congrats Nicoderm!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 07:41

A very good choice......congratulations Nicodem....solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 02:51

Quote:

A very good choice...... Nicodem....

We will see ;) Generally, moderators in this forum are very lazy: I do not know if it is a rule and key for election another ones.
Lots of offtopics, rubbish-like posts, existence of live treads like "phenylacetonitrile lockdown", not fixed problem of RAR/ZIPed attachments.... Not all depends on moderators, I know.
But if it all stays as it is - there is nothing to congratulate. Moderators are for us and for this forum.
If Nicodem will turn out a new quality, then I will also say "congatulations".

:)

BTW.

Why cannot I delete/edit my older posts in "References" ?????

[Edited on 26-2-2008 by kmno4]
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 08:49

"Why cannot I delete/edit my older posts in "References" ?????"

Polverone set a time limit to editing posts (30 days if my memory is not failing me.)

sparky (~_~)

P.S. My congratulations to you, Nicodem. :D

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 10:03

The time limit is shorter than that. It is 24 hours. We had an edit time limit in place many months ago, but it was lost in the last forum software upgrade. I just added it back in yesterday. It's necessary to prevent people from posting good information and later hiding it by editing their older posts. The restriction may be inconvenient in References but it should prevent the loss of valuable information in other forums.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 18:44

Quote:
Lots of offtopics, rubbish-like posts

I know I should just ignore it but...

we are aware of the issue.

This is WHY we are cracking down on this.

See this

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9854

To repeat

Quote:

From this point forward, crappy and useless posts will be deleted, subject to a moderator's discretion. Continuous infringements may lead to posting bans.
Please do contact a mod or admin if you notice infringements.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 19:00
New Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS NICODEM !

KmnO4, I disagree with you when you say that moderators on this forum are lazy. I consider
them more tolerant and respectful of members than say over at RS. Don't misunderstand - I've
also seen them kick a few kewls/trolls in the balls when necessary. It takes a having a
fairly thick skin to tolerate the bullshit posted by those wankers. Several of us here,
who aren't moderators have also kicked the kewls around. This is a good thing, IMHO. :D
The big difference is that Nicodem, now has the power to punish them more severely.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 23:43
Welcome Nicodem!

The appointment of Nicodem was the right step at the right time IMHO. I am even more happy that Nicodem took the offer, his qualification is out of question anyways.

MadHatter: "kick kewls/trolls in the balls", "bullshit", "wankers", kicking kewls around a good thing, Nicodem going to "punish" somebody...
Are you sure you are posting this on the right board? Thats all of the worst of the bad RS "style" and was always frowned upon here. It made that I am here and always will, for Polverone introduced here at SCM his much admired style of enforcing policies without treating new and often misguided members respectless. Thats so to say the essence of SCM.
Nicodem adds nicely as if you had read his posts and the way he addresses people you would have found out that Nicodem is not after power to punish anybody. I am pretty sure that his new duties as moderator are more a chore to him then anything else, as he would have got basically everything he wants by simply asking Polverone.
Nicodem a punisher? Oh my. I dont think so, really not, delusions of power are not what float his boat I am very sure. And thats why he is the right person.

Nicodem a moderator is a statement, and a much called for statement for the old SCM too. I appreciate this.
Now just some GOOD flamewars which are not locked down for people dont knowing the diferrence between shouting insults and flaming and I am happy :D

thanks
/ORG

[Edited on 27-2-2008 by Organikum]

Irgendwas is ja immer
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 27-2-2008 at 09:16

Nice to see Nicodem become a moderator. He is IMO very good chemist and friend, he has a lot of patience and tries his best to help (and not only in chemistry related matters). Organic chemistry forum needs some discipline ;)

All IMO of course...

[Edited on 27-2-2008 by Sandmeyer]

PainKilla
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2008 at 14:15

As so many have said before me, congratulations!

Or perhaps good luck would be more fitting. ;)

I definitely agree that Nicodem is well suited to the task; aside from being extremely knowledgeable, he is certainly encouraging for people that are just getting started to really start learning.

He definitely encouraged me to do so! :)

Go To Top