Author: Subject: Chemistry laws
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 05:35

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Quote:
I have noticed that your posts tend to be a bit alarmist in nature. Maybe you should consider another hobby because this one seems to scare the hell out of you. There are many retailers that sell materials to create explosives for the hobbyist and yet you want to paint a picture that the sky is falling.

Yes it is scrutinized and restricted hobby - sadly enough that is true, but it isn't the gestapo scenario that you propose.

Joe

Where do you live? I will admit that much of my statement was in jest. However, it is quickly becoming the "gestapo" scenario you propose. If it wasn't, people who weren't doing anything wrong would have NOTHING to worry about. That is not the case, obviously.

Perhaps it is you who is on the other extreme thinking that nothing like that ever happens, everything is hunky doory and as long as you don't plan on killing anybody, you're okay. That's just plain wrong.

Mass hysteria is a powerful thing. Obviously, you do not live in the US or you would see what everyone else is seeing. The sky IS falling. YOU can go stand out in the open. I value my so called freedom too much for that.

Another thing. Have you ever been the victim of this hysteria induced gestapo-ness? No? I have. That is why I preach as I do. Because I know that it can happen to anyone and that I was only an inch from being thrown in prison for NOTHING. The hysteria over terrorism is even worse than with drugs.

And your basis for all this is that retailers sell things that can be used to make explosives. WTF? You go ahead and make explosives. And when you get caught, just say you aren't a terrorist. See if they believe you. But you're not in the US so that point is almost moot.

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Not only am I in the US I'm in one of the most restrictive States. I made my point - you should find another hobby.

Joe
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 06:38

Sorry, I reject your advice. Not going to happen. That's my whole set of principles. Don't stop doing what you love just because most people think it's wrong and the government is "out to get you".

It might be one of the main reasons I will continue. Spite, if you will. Well, it wasn't at first. But now it seems like it is becoming that reason whether I like it or not.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 07:30

Attaboy!

P
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 12:22

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Sorry, I reject your advice. Not going to happen. That's my whole set of principles. Don't stop doing what you love just because most people think it's wrong and the government is "out to get you".

It might be one of the main reasons I will continue. Spite, if you will. Well, it wasn't at first. But now it seems like it is becoming that reason whether I like it or not.

Good for you!
applesandoranges
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2014 at 17:59
New FEL application

Hey all, while I'm getting my lab together for EM I wanted to be compliant also. I'm submitting an application to the BATFE for a explosives manufacturing license. Being in Pennsylvania, I can't meet any of the siting/theft protection rules without seriously breaking the piggy except for type 4 and type 3 magazines. They are far and away more involved than the federal rules. But only display fireworks in the type 4. So that leaves me with attended storage for anything explosive and destroy anything before I walk away. That's cool with me because I'm really only studying these things and I want the applied side with the theoretical. I can work within the rules to pursue these legally. So my question is, will any agents care that I'm applying for a manufacturing license with only a type 3? And also, what is it like trying to comply with the clean water act?
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 05:43

Yeah you'll have heartburn. there is an unwritten guidance by higher supervisors that long term unattended storage is needed. And they like to assume that if they feel it is inconvenient that the law will be broken for convenience. Types 1 2 4 5 are the norm.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 16:12

Legal, illegal ?

Nobody really knows until a Case comes before a Court, and a decision is made.

Be nice, and play sensibly.

Pay taxes, try not to hurt or bother anyone.

If you get it all wrong, they'll tell you exactly which bit was illegal when they catch you.

roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 18:01

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Nobody really knows until a Case comes before a Court, and a decision is made.

Definitely the case since we now operate a legislative system of judicial precedence. Since legislation is moving to make power-abusing laws the only way that things get changed (assuming politicians can't be unseated) is to argue the point in court and set a precedent that overwrites the law. Unfortunately that requires the power of money and/or media in order to stand up to the lengthy proceedings that will follow indictments/suits. If you get caught playing on the noncompliant side, don't say anything that makes you sound agressive, then make plea deals, but expect to give a pound of flesh on your way out. Unless you have the time and money to be innocent...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top