Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminium isopropoxide - reaction with water
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 07:44
Aluminium isopropoxide - reaction with water

Hello,

I imagine that Aluminium isopropoxide reacts with water and forms 2-propanol + Al(OH)3.

If I were to prepare Aluminium isopropoxide (I think written Al(iso-Pr)3), how do you clean the glassware?

The bp for Al(iso-Pr)3 is around 140 C?

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 08:52

Yes, alkoxides do indeed readily hydrolyse.
myr
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 09:08

Wash with a little dry solvent miscible with water that has a decently high vapor pressure- acetone, ethanol, methanol all work well enough- and heat to dry, preferably while pulling a vacuum.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by myr  
Wash with a little dry solvent miscible with water that has a decently high vapor pressure- acetone, ethanol, methanol all work well enough- and heat to dry, preferably while pulling a vacuum.

Or.... just rinse with isopropanol, which seems the most logical if you're going to be making isopropoxide.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 09:14

Are you trying to clean the glassware before or after the prep? Afterward there shouldn't be anything wrong with cold water followed by some HCl to remove aluminium oxides that might be adhering to the glass.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 09:24

Before you shouldn't have to clean it, maybe bake it a bit in an oven if you want to be sure. But that depends on how dry your IPA is to begin with, if that is not rigorously anhydrous it doesn't make sense to bake your glass. Also, does a bit of aluminium hydroxide interfere with your reaction?
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 03:44

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Are you trying to clean the glassware before or after the prep? Afterward there shouldn't be anything wrong with cold water followed by some HCl to remove aluminium oxides that might be adhering to the glass.

I am concerned with the after part.
If the insides of your glassware get coated with Al(OH)3, does conc HCl easily react with it?

Another issue is that I might need to boil the Al(iso-Pr)3 in order to separate it from bit of Al. Is a vacuum necessary?
Can't I just heat to 140 C at 1 atm?

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 26-10-2018 at 05:51

Any aluminium oxides/hydroxides produced by wet chemistry that I've encountered aren't particularly fussy about dissolving; you can use either dilute acid or solutions of alkali metal hydroxides.

The problem with the boiling point you just suggested is that it was obtained under vacuum. I don't see anything online that points to a distillation being done at atmospheric pressure.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-10-2018 at 02:42

You may be able to avoid any precipitation in the first place if you add a solution of potassium sodium tartrate, rather than water.

That stuff can also be used during some work-ups.
It holds the aluminium in aqueous solution, but it has a near neutral pH.

Go To Top