Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unknown Reference Book
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 08:38
Unknown Reference Book

hello there,

I came across some literature references clearly involving an old text, but strangely enough I couldn't find its complete title and/or author.

Here below is how it was cited in the references:

Tumann, Chem. Zentr. 1916, I, 1277.

Hope someone can tell me which book is it and how much available is it.

Thank you all in advance
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 08:43

That abbreviation is for the German equivalent of the (U.S.) Chemical Abstracts. I don't mean a translation, but a parallel publication that I believe predated C.A. by the better part of a century (1830) but which has now lapsed. (as of 1969)

Full name is Chemisches Zentralblatt.

Like C.A. it is abstracts of the primary literature.

You can find it in any properly stocked university library, perhaps increasingly on microfiche especially for the older volumes.

Naturally it is in German. So unless you are a German chemist (in which case you would not have needed this information) bring a German-English chemical dictionary.

Other works giving access to the literature of the science of chemistry from the nineteenth century till c.1970 or later, in German, are Beilstein's Handbuch, for organic compounds, and Gmelin, for inorganics.

If you never heard of Chem.Zentr. then perhaps these are new(s) to you as well?

These three are the keys to the kingdom of chemistry. Without them you are deaf, dumb, and blind.

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 04:36

Perhaps I should append yesterday's post by saying that in 40+ years I have never had occasion to actually look up anything in Chem.Zentr. It is an assumption on my part that it contains abstracts only and not full articles, and therefore it is part of the secondary chemical lit. like C.A.

Maybe I am wrong. It is odd to see literature citations to only an abstract. Sometimes citations to less accesible journals will include an abstract citation. But to cite only an abstract?

Anyone have further information?

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 06:58

It is not very unusual, especially when the original reference is not in one of the more common journals. Less unusual still in that time and before, especially for English-language abstracts of not-English refs.

You can see what it contains if you are curious (... Zentralblatt, Centralblatt, etc.) at google books, but it only goes up to 1908 so far.

BTW the older Gmelin, Beilstein, and amazingly even a couple CA volumes are there. As well as the well-known JACS, Bull soc, a few Rec Trav, and hard-to-find items such as Chem News, Arch Pharm, J Pharm Chim, Pharm J, Columbia School of Mines, etc.

American Druggist, after and before other name changes (circa 1880's) is fun reading, from a chemistry and usage of the English language point of view. Looks like they were the sciencemadness.org of the day.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 12:04

Thanks, S.C.

Sergi
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 06:18

Hi,
(Tumann, wrong name; see The Merck Index, Aesculin)

Otto Tunmann, Chemisches Zentralblatt 1916, I, page 1277

I have the complet text (in old German or Spanish), if your interest I send you it (obviously free).

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 07:39

Chemisches Zentralblatt is now available as a trial system to CDS users, although I spose if you're one of the latter then you'd have gotten the email. Supposedly they've digitised the entire content (~900,000 pages) and it covers the literature from 1830-1969. It is oldest abstracted journal in the field of chemistry.
Sergi
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-6-2012 at 23:39

free acces (demo):

send a message to: ce@infochem.de

Subject: Chemisches Zentralblatt Structural Database demo account

Please send me a demo account for your product Chemisches Zentralblatt Structural Database.

Go To Top