Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of diethyl terephthalate
palico
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2024 at 11:36
Synthesis of diethyl terephthalate

Hello people,

I am back to chemcycle something else tonight, let's find out !

In this episode of my waste to resource serie, we will see the esterification of the terephtalic acid prepared last time from a waste PET water bottle.

The reaction is a simple Fisher esterification of the acid in ethanol, catalyzed by sulfuric acid. The reaction time is very long, also because I used a big excess of solvent.

reaction.jpg - 188kB

Procedure

5.82g of terephthalic acid are place in a 250 ml round bottomed flask along with a stirbar. 150 ml of ethanol and 2 ml of concentrated sulfuric acid are added, the reaction mixture kept at 80 Celsius in oil bath under stirring for 4 days. The white suspension become a limpid solution, that indicates reaction finished. The flask is removed from bath, let cool to room temperature. Once cool, the reaction mixture is poured into a solution made by dissolving 17 g of potassium carbonate in 300 ml of water. A little froating is detected. Then, the opalescent solution is evaporated off to 300 ml of volume on hotplate at 60 Celsius. Once cool, a solid precipitate. The suspension is vacuum filtered, washed with water, residue pump dried. The residue is furtherly dried by pressing on paper. The product smell of mint feebly. It looks single spot on TLC. 3.25 g of off-white crystalline solid is obtained, corresponding to 41.77% of yield.

m.p.: 40-42 Celsius.

IMG_20221003_182353_cutted.jpg - 421kB tlc.jpg - 51kB

Discussion

The reaction has been so long, because I used an extremely exagerated amount of solvent. The proper amount had to be just 50 ml. I did it because I had no running water that time, so I could not reflux. In fact, after 4 days a bit of ethanol had evaporated off. The product has been analyzed at proton NMR and looked very pure.

In summary, from 20 g of PET, one waste water bottle we have got 3.25 g of diethyl terephthalate. And all with household, readily available reagent and simple glassware. Imagine that, ethanol can be bioethanol, carbonate from other scrap, the energy renewable and all process of chemical recycling of PET almost 100% a total upcycling.

References

1. Org. Syn., vol. 26, pp. 95, 1946
2. Eur. J. Med. Chem., vol. 44, pp. 3552-3559, 2009

As usual, I link to my YT video for more detailed prodecure, both preparation and analysis.

thank you for attention,

palico

[Edited on 7-2-2024 by palico]

Transform waste into resources.
Animus tuus dominus.
YT Channel ZodaChem: https://www.youtube.com/@zodd0001/featured

Go To Top