Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: methyl iodide
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2007 at 20:26

Smoking and glowing specs in the flask are white phosphorus (can be colored red or brown, its very difficult to obtain white P that is actually white).
You overheated the residues in the flask, therfore sublimating the unreacted red P and making it condense as white P.

The powerful heat in the end was very unnecessary, after the second heating at 65°C you could have stopped the procedure, added water to the residue in the flask and filtered the unreacted red P for further use.

Now you have your glass contaminated by white P, and you are going to have to decontaminate it all. I hope you know how to do that.

Isnt red P a bit valuable to use it for making methyl iodide when other routes exist, at least in the USA where it is impossible to buy red P?

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
einstein(not)
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2007 at 22:36

Well I actually only intended to dry the rp some but when I saw the white vapor I became curious and took it too far.

I'm sure that I've got some white phosphorus (waxy glob) but what I'm not sure about is what the milky liquid is. The action of UV on it is quite dramatic making wonder if it's some kind of iodine compound.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top