Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Erythritol Tetranitrate
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 15-11-2003 at 11:45
Erythritol Tetranitrate

For those who don't know, Erythritol is a new low cal sugar subsitute.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/erythritol.gif

i used the pcedure posted on E&W by AXT

33ml of H2SO4 were added to 20g KNO3, they were blended, set in a salt ice bath and allowed to cool to about 10C. 5 grams of Erythritol were added in portions, the temp didn't rise above 15C. It was stirred alot and let sit in the ice bath for 30 minutes. the product was filtered and recrystalized from acetone. Final yield was a very embarassing 0.8g!

argh! longer nitration time, i thought. So i did the same thing again but let it go overnight. next morning i filtered, purified, etc. yield was 8.5g from 5g Erythritol. now thats wht im talkin' about! thats 1.7g ETN per g Erythritol.

.5g was pressed into a straw and taped to a block of wood, set to be initiated with .2g HMTD.

The block was placed on the ground, fuse lit, and a large rusty metal bucket placed on it to cover it, a chunk of cinder block was placed on the bottom of the bucket.

the bucket was knocked over, the bottom was 40% ton off, and there was an indent in the shape f the cinder block on it.

the piece of wood, fairly hard stuff i say, dented in around 7mm or so

i plan to do more experimention, perhaps some power comparisons, fueling, etc. i'll be sure to let you guys know about anything worthy.

the pics:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/etn1.jpg
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/etn2.jpg
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/etn3.jpg

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
rolfiboy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-12-2003 at 02:45
Etn syntesys

Hi Ive tryet the same metod as axt and found out that the temperature around 20 - max 25 celsius would give much larger yeilds.

Im sorry for my langue

Use Explosives as a tool and nothing else!!!
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Skint

[*] posted on 16-12-2003 at 05:59

All well and good, but has Erythritol been approved for use here in the UK? I have searched the net, and online health stores like GNC etc, but cannot find it at all. Some have xylitol / sorbitol, but no one carries Erythritol. Are sorbitol or xylitol potential candidates for nitration?
Nevermore
Hazard to Others

Mood: shopping businessman

[*] posted on 16-12-2003 at 09:19

erythritol is not available yet as sugar substitute in old europe, should be approved in this year, then will take some time till it will be distributed, so all the other sources are non OTC at now.
Sorbitol and Xylitol are good nitration candidates, as well as mannitol, dulcitol, lactose..
each one of them has its problems and is good points but most of them are easy to nitrate!

Nevermore!
flashpoint
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-12-2003 at 22:40

I hear from E&W, this is a powerful explosive, does it have to be detonated?....or is there another way of setting a charge off...I'm guessing this is a secondary explosive...therefore I suppose it needs to be det to be set off...
Nevermore
Hazard to Others

Mood: shopping businessman

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 12:27

you want to set it off?
you can hammer it, warm it very fast up to 200°C, grind it, or stuffs like that..

Nevermore!
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 14:08

its very powerful. see here.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/PETNvsETN1.jpg
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/PETNvsETN2.jpg

sorry, i kept forgettingto post these. the target was a thin steel AOL CD tin that came in the mail. .5g of each explosive initiated by .2gHMTD, all pressed in astaw in configurations as close to identical as i could do.

PETN's higher bristance is clear, the hole is cleaner, less deformation in the plate and the hole is close but apears a little bigger. there is also 9 sections of metal protrudeing from the exit side. there are only 7 on the ETN one.

the other day i found a can of silly string in my house and i decidedto blow it up, i used an unmeasuredamount of ETN in a straw, musta been about .3g or so. it blew a nice hole in the can, which was unused. and there was huge chunks of green silly crap all over.

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
flashpoint
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 19:06

damn! You should've blown the CD's up too :D Anyhow...do you use electrical ignition for the straw det's?

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by flashpoint]
Polverone
Now celebrating 18 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 21:14
hey flashpoint

Your one-line response didn't add much. If you want to chat, contact members through U2U messages, instant messaging, or e-mail.
flashpoint
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 09:19

Sorry Polverone, I was just curious it he was using fuse or electrical det. I was trying to figure out what U2 was, guess that's the messenger :) Thanks.
Bob
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-6-2004 at 12:39

So I made a batch of white powder that SHOULD be ETN. It had condensed drops of liquid in the flask of ETN after a day storage. When I dried it, it melted earlier than the 60 degrees I expected. Is there water in it?

[Edited on 28-6-2004 by Bob]
DiPentaErythrit
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 29-10-2004 at 11:14

So I made a batch of me !!!!!
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 29-10-2004 at 13:43

Was that really worth bringing up a 4 month old thread? :mad:

Vikascoder
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 08:41

Can anyone post the procedure of making ETN since I have no access to E&W forms please post .
virgilius1979
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 11:39

I successfully produced ETN using drain cleaner sulfuric acid (92%) - in excess and NaNO3 (NH4NO3 dissolves even better) and keeping the temperature at about 20-22C when adding the erythritol, with careful stirring. It is than precipitated with cold water, neutralised with NaHCO3, washed again, and recrystallized with ethanol-acetone mix (I choosed 4:1 ratio).
Swede
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 12:39

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20638

Go To Top