Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chloroacetophenone and styrene chlorohydrin from styrene
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-5-2021 at 14:22
Chloroacetophenone and styrene chlorohydrin from styrene

It new method preparation phenacyl chloride and chlorohydrin styrene and dichloroacetophenone from Russian forum
Warning!! Reaction produce toxic strong lachrymator(stronger than a chloroacetone) and irriant. I worked with gloves and gas mask. Also toxic chlorine vapor can be produced if reaction conditions are violated

750 ml hydrochloric acid 15%(from PVC pyrolysis),220 ml styrene(pyrolysis polystyrene fraction b.p 130-150c) mix in polypropylene bucket (3l) and heat up on water bath to 70C.To the resulting mixture 100ml sodium chlorate solution(650g\liter after NaCl electrolysis) was added SLOWLY AND LOW PORTIONS(REACTION VERY EXOTHERMIC At chlorohydrin formation stage) WITH STIRRING. After 10 minutes reaction completed and organic phase settles to the bottom as yellow oil with weak floral odour. Lower layer separated and washed with water

As a result we have 200 ml liquid with density 1.2. It is mosltly styrene chlorohydrin with some styrene dichloride and other impurities

Styrene chlorohydrin main reaction product if styrene chlorate ration 3:1.
It is yelow oily liquid with weak floral odour. Weak eye irriant.

If ratio styrene and chlorate 3:2-3 main reaction product chloroacetophenone(reaction time about 30 minutes-hour). It is yelow oily acrid liquid with strong floral odour. Strong eye irriant.
If you use excess chlorate main product is dichloroacetophenone and ring chlorination products.
similar method can be prepared other chlorohydrins, bromohydrins, chloroketones(sodium bromide most be addeded)
Hydrochloric acid can replaced by mixure battery acid(sulphuric) and sodium chloride

Preparation very simple, but dangerous. Polystyrene also formed under reaction conditions

P.S Styrene chlorohydrin can be used to preparation styrene glycol, styrene oxide.

[Edited on 18-5-2021 by Hexabromobenzene]
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 18-5-2021 at 15:01

Thats from the hyperlab or what? Do you have a direct link to it?
I know that process, even used it myself, but its quite picky on the rxn conditions to result in the desired product.
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2021 at 08:11

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Thats from the hyperlab or what?

Yes
Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
I know that process, even used it myself, but its quite picky on the rxn conditions to result in the desired product.

Can you write details?
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 24-1-2024 at 13:39

....bromo hydrins are milder and easier to make with better yields....solo

Bromohydrins from Olefins and N-Bromosuccin- imide in Water
BY CYRUS0. Guss' AND RUDOLPHROSENTHAL RECEIVEDECEMBE2R1, 1954

introduction
The reaction of olefins with N-bromoacetamide in water to form bromohydrins has been known and used for many year^.^,^ It might be assumed that N-bromosuccinimide would behave similarly. Re- sults have verified this assumption; for several years we have employed the latter reagent for the preparation of bromohydrins, and thence, olefin ox- ides. The availability and stability of this reagent, the ease of reaction and the yields obtained make this method superior, in many instances, to alterna- tive methods. Some of the results that illustrate the scope of this method are summarized in Table I to supplement those already reported.4

Attachment: Bromohydrins from Olefins and N-Bromosuccinimide in Water.pdf (162kB)
This file has been downloaded 61 times

[Edited on 25-1-2024 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.

Go To Top