Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Single Use Bromine Storage
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 06:31

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
I made a small amount of bromine water to store for my element collection, and despite my best efforts it eventually escaped my container. I had it in a glass vial with a plastic screw cap. Before I screwed the cap on, I covered the opening with yellow PTFE gas tape and wrapped some more around the threads. I screwed the cap on, wrapped more PTFE tape around the outside, and wrapped a few layers of electrical tape over top of that. The bromine still escaped. The color slowly lightened over time and after about 3 weeks it's completely gone and now I just have a well-sealed vial of water. This stuff is hard to store. I have ampoules now so I'll try that next time I make some Br.

Solutions of bromine in water undergo photolysis to HBr and O2. That's why bromine solutions are typically stored in brown glass in a dark spot.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 08:59

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

Solutions of bromine in water undergo photolysis to HBr and O2. That's why bromine solutions are typically stored in brown glass in a dark spot.

Ah! I didn't know that, thanks. As you probably guessed, my vial is clear glass since it's for display. I recently got a ground glass distillation kit, and I was planning on using that to distill elemental bromine and package that in a sealed ampoule (also clear glass though). Hopefully that will work out better.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top