Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17
Author: Subject: Homemade and Repurposed Lab Gear
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2021 at 09:38

I just have to ask you all, something that came into my head when browsing a store.
Can these steam cleaners (see pic) be used as a steam source when you want to steam distill something?
I have never tried one of these so im not familiar with them.
If one would just connect a short hose at the steam outlet and connect other end to a glass tube that is inserted into second neck of a reaction flask with the glass tube reach into the bottom of reaction flask, submerged into the liquid.
Then just start the unit and top it up with distilled water when needed.
Would this work, or is the steam from these units not good somehow?
It seems much easier than to set up a steam generator in the usual way.
Any thoughts on this?

Steam washer.jpg - 31kB
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2021 at 15:49

Heres my very minor contribution.

I only have 1 hotplate, and I needed to warm up some polyphosphoric acid to ~90 °C so I could easily pour it into a beaker that was on the hotplate (being heated and stirred).

I looked around for something to heat it up, and luckily I found this candle warmer thingy that my ex got from some BS candle pyramid scheme years ago (Scentsy, if my memory serves me right).
candle warmer.jpg - 88kB
The surface gets almost exactly to 100 °C, so it worked perfectly for my needs! And while I can't control the temperature, it still works great for many purposes that I've needed it for since.

Because the silly candle pyramid schemes seem to have been popular, I've seen these candle warmers at a lot of my friends places, so they're rather common. If you live with a female, I'd say there's a 85% chance you have one or two in your house that you don't know about, just collecting dust :-)

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2021 at 03:58

An all-glass vacuum flask, great for recrystallizations.

flask.jpg - 51kB
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2021 at 14:06

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
An all-glass vacuum flask, great for recrystallizations.

This needs a little more explanation, what is the intended use for such a flask?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2021 at 05:55

It is sold as a thermos flask, but it's just made out of glass. Older ages flasks were made of glass, but as people mishandle them, they will break, so they were superseded by SS flasks.

No other, but slower thermal gradient will allow for bigger crystal growth without using insulated vessels, and it is visually more appealing as it's transparent. Also, some stuff react with stainless steel, so no issue here.
Konduktor
Harmless

Mood: Stressed & Depressed ®

[*] posted on 13-7-2021 at 21:40

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  
I just have to ask you all, something that came into my head when browsing a store.
Can these steam cleaners (see pic) be used as a steam source when you want to steam distill something?
I have never tried one of these so im not familiar with them.
If one would just connect a short hose at the steam outlet and connect other end to a glass tube that is inserted into second neck of a reaction flask with the glass tube reach into the bottom of reaction flask, submerged into the liquid.
Then just start the unit and top it up with distilled water when needed.
Would this work, or is the steam from these units not good somehow?
It seems much easier than to set up a steam generator in the usual way.
Any thoughts on this?

Not really. Those devices do not generate a continuous flow of steam, and need time to boil the next portion of water after about 20 seconds of use. This thing is, sadly, useless for anything except for cleaning bathroom tiles.
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17

Go To Top