Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hello,and the Story of my Life :(
SmellNoEvil
Harmless
*




Posts: 15
Registered: 23-2-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 23-2-2016 at 19:29
Hello,and the Story of my Life :(


Hello everyone.







I don't know if anybody has guessed what this "Story of my life" is going to be based on my name, but let's get straight to the point: I am anosmic (Learned that when I spent nearly an hour in a room just cleaned with bleach as a child,and not knowing it until I ended up coughing like hell and then being told that I was in a room just treated with bleach the whole time). I have come here because I am interested in chemistry (Organic,to be more specific), but actually doing something may take some time due to...complications. I am going to ask around for advice a lot,which may seem stupid, such as "How do I detect such and such?" (I don't feel like gassing myself with chlorine due to a leak),so I hope I won't be received with too much judgement. If there is anything that a starter such as myself needs to know,please post it here.

[Edited on 24-2-2016 by SmellNoEvil]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Detonationology
National Hazard
****




Posts: 362
Registered: 5-5-2015
Location: Deep South
Member Is Offline

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 20:00


http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=64553



“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Volanschemia
National Hazard
****




Posts: 340
Registered: 16-1-2015
Location: Victoria, Australia
Member Is Offline

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 22:01


Hi and welcome to the forum!
Start off by reading the Sciencemadness Guidelines.
You'll find numerous threads on the forum on beginner topics in the Beginnings subforum.




"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
IrC
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 2710
Registered: 7-3-2005
Location: Eureka
Member Is Offline

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 24-2-2016 at 12:16


The obvious solution for you if you cannot smell chemicals, are interested in doing chemistry, and are worried about exposure is simple. Research every reaction before you do it, including all possible side reactions from chemicals you add together, chemicals which may be formed further reacting with added chemicals and possible newly created chemicals during the reaction. In simple terms know ahead of time every possible outcome and what to expect, including what differences may occur based upon initial quantities less or more. There are a crapload of different gas sensors on ebay cheaply which work with Arduinos. Build some detection/warning equipment. Many plans with code exist if you search. Lastly invest in a good fumehood setup with adequate exhaust rates before you begin experimenting. Always have well thought out planning done first, before you do any experiments. This will greatly reduce any risks.





"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top