Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any public Blog sites that allow non "politically correct" postings/colums/pages?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 00:39
Any public Blog sites that allow non "politically correct" postings/colums/pages?

I'm wondering if there are any public blog sites like blogspot, blogger, blog, Wordpress, etc. that will allow "straight" political discussion without tip-toeing around all the PC words which are far too many to know. I'm not asking about sites that will allow straight out racism, hate speech, threats, etc, but more along the lines of blunt speak, asking tough questions that MAY (lol, will....) offend some people who think asking legitimate questions makes a person a bigot, racist, nazi, or whatever.

My local newspaper (the online section) has such heavily edited comments when people are asking questions which I would say 80-90% of the people are wondering themselves, yet it MAY offend someone by asking - this often leads to banning of some of the most insightful members of the community...:mad::mad: So this is what I am trying to avoid.

Now I can setup my own Wordpress site, but IDK how to get people to find it and it can be a major PITA to make it secure and having "blunt" political discussion I fear that the site would be a major target for those whose feelings get hurt if the wrong word is used.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this, either sites that are tolerant or blogging platforms that can be secured fairly tightly?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 05:32

what kind of people would join such a group?
with trolls, spammers, paedophiles, terrorists, eugenicists and more, good luck having a rational discussion.
blogfast25
Thought-provoking Teacher

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 06:27

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
I'm not asking about sites that will allow straight out racism, hate speech, threats, etc, but more along the lines of blunt speak, asking tough questions that MAY (lol, will....) offend some people who think asking legitimate questions makes a person a bigot, racist, nazi, or whatever.

Idiots like you will never get it, will they? I'll CAPS this so it may help you with your comprehension difficulties:

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO OFFEND. THOSE WHO FEEL OFFENDED HAVE THE RIGHT TO OFFEND YOU IN RETURN AND/OR POINT OUT THAT WHAT YOU SAY IS OFFENSIVE.

That wasn't too hard to grasp, I hope.

Now take yourself off to BreitFart News, those indefatigable defenders of free speech (just make sure you don't come across as 1 nanometer to the left of centre, or they'll banhammer you too!)

Now I can setup my own Wordpress site, but IDK how to get people to find it and it can be a major PITA to make it secure and having "blunt" political discussion I fear that the site would be a major target for those whose feelings get hurt if the wrong word is used.

Do you even know what "blunt" actually means? Why would you want to have a blunt discussion? I think you meant 'frank'.

You reserve the right to be offensive, yet want to deny those who might want to push back that same right. And you see no contradiction there at all? You're a TWIT. Too dumb to count.

Oh, and what Sulaiman said.

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by blogfast25]

Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 06:37

http://boards.4chan.org/pol/

I think this is what you're looking for.

Lol nerds
ziqquratu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 17:59

Political correctness has nothing to do with whether or not you are offensive; it has to with whether or not you are (or might reasonably be) causing actual harm to other people. In the simplest terms, "that's not politically correct" is not synonymous with "that's offensive." Calling someone a f***wit is being offensive (whether they're offended or not) but is not politically incorrect. Saying someone is black so they're probably a criminal is both offensive and politically incorrect. Saying someone is black so they probably have a large penis might well be flattering (albeit probably factually inaccurate), but it's still politically incorrect.

You can offend people and that's perfectly within your rights (although I always find it amusing that a significant proportion of people who post anti-PC "right to offend" memes on my Facebook timeline tend also to post large numbers of memes about politeness and respect, along with memes opposing ideas with which they disagree or find offensive, which seems to be a significant contradiction). But, as blogfast noted, people can call you offensive - and they have as much right to do that as you do to be offensive in the first place. Telling people to shut up about being offended is exactly the same as telling people to not be offensive - both are an exercise of free speech, and both can be ignored, taken on board, or responded to, as the hearer sees fit.

But political correctness is a mechanism for minimising harm. As an example - let's say your father beats your mother on a regular basis, and nobody else is aware of it. Then, whenever she goes to some social event, she has to hear jokes about "what you tell a woman with two black eyes", for example. The joke could easily be offensive to a non-abused person - and their saying so is no more or less valid than the laughter of another person who finds it funny. But it's not the offended person who is important so far as political correctness is concerned! In this case, think of your violently abused mother - do you think she would be offended by the joke, or do you think that she might be hurt by it - actual psychological harm, as opposed to simple offence? Worse, do you think that she might be discouraged from reporting the abuse to her friends - people who might be able to help her stop the violence - when she sees how little they appear to care about it?

Beyond that, though, let's imagine now that you know about the abuse, but are powerless to act (maybe you're a child, or disabled, or whatever). If you knew that this was the effect of those type of jokes - direct psychological harm to your mum, and discouraging her from speaking out resulting in more physical harm as well - wouldn't you consider asking those friends of hers to think twice about the jokes they make? At the least, wouldn't you rather they recognised the harm they might cause to people who are abused, and that they therefore wouldn't make those jokes, even if you wouldn't go so far as to request they stop? If your answer to either of those is "yes", then congratulations - you're a supporter of political correctness, at least to some degree!

So, if you're genuinely concerned about political correctness (as opposed to getting all worked up simply because someone has the audacity to exercise their own freedom of speech in order to tell you that they find your words offensive), you should try to remember that the point is not to avoid offending people, it's to avoid hurting people. And although I will happily grant that some people do take things too far, or misuse the term to include non-politically incorrect offence (i.e. "f***wit") rather than stopping at things that cause harm, it's worth noting that those offended people you're so concerned with are often simply speaking up for those who are hurt by prevailing attitudes and comments, who might not be willing or able to speak up for themselves. Ultimately, I would argue that the best response is to deal with those individual excesses and misuses of political correctness, rather than discarding the whole concept.

In spite of everything I've just said, though, you still don't have to be politically correct - you're free to say what you wish, no matter how much harm it might cause another person (within certain very broad limits of the law, of course!) - but it might be something worth thinking about before you so wilfully dismiss it. It might also be worth remembering that you have a right to freedom of speech, which protects you from overreaches by your government, but you have no right to freedom from criticism (even criticism levelled by your government), nor any right to actually be heard by any other person - just as you have the right to criticise or ignore anyone you disagree with (a right which you have in fact exercised in the opening post). And finally, if you're not mature enough to handle simple criticism of your opinions, or at least to simply ignore it, then perhaps you shouldn't make comments that might be criticised, in order to protect your own delicate feelings from the offensive comments other people might make about you.
blogfast25
Thought-provoking Teacher

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 18:19

Quote: Originally posted by ziqquratu  
It might also be worth remembering that you have a right to freedom of speech, which protects you from overreaches by your government, but you have no right to freedom from criticism (even criticism levelled by your government), nor any right to actually be heard by any other person - just as you have the right to criticise or ignore anyone you disagree with (a right which you have in fact exercised in the opening post). And finally, if you're not mature enough to handle simple criticism of your opinions, or at least to simply ignore it, then perhaps you shouldn't make comments that might be criticised, in order to protect your own delicate feelings from the offensive comments other people might make about you.

In a nutshell.

Do you know how many Blogger/WP gonzo anti-PC sites there are out there? Do you think that those who believe PC is a Good Thing have the time or inclination to hack these little Tinkerweb sewer cesspits? If so think again. You're not worth it!

You, fearful? A defender of free speech behaving like a mouse?

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by blogfast25]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: Triturated

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 18:56

Aaaand another political thread to send to detritus. Pity I wasn't around earlier to nip it in the bud.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
2-8-2016 at 18:57

Go To Top