Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adding esters to compounds (propionate, enanthate, cypionate, etc)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 19:45
Adding esters to compounds (propionate, enanthate, cypionate, etc)

So I've always wondered how some drugs are made to be longer acting and this can be done in many ways but one of them is adding an ester to the compound which, if I'm not mistaken, slows the metabolic breakdown of the active compound allowing for a longer half life by slower metabolic breakdown.

One compound which everyone has is testosterone and this is one compound that is made with many different esters making them active from hours to many weeks and even a month half life. I found that there is even one ester that allows for the compound to be orally ingestible and active where the others are not, and this is the most confusing function of the ester and how it could make it active orally. This ester is very long and heavy.

For example
Testosterone base is 288g/mol - 2-4hr half life - no oral activity
Test propionate 344.5g/mol - 14-18 hr half life - no oral activity
Test enanthate 400g/mole - 4-5 day half life basically inactive orally
Test undecanoate 456g/mol ~30 day half life and ~4-7% orally available

What I'm not certain of is what these esters are, if they are unique to the testosterone molecule or if they can be added to other compounds to give similar effects in making the drug last longer.

I also know that testosterone base is a white dry powder but as soon as an ester is added it becomes what looks to be a waxy substance and I've been told that it melts very easily like wax, and the "heavier" the ester, the more it moves through the waxy stage to the point of almost being an oil at room temp.

I remeber reading some time ago when researching plant oils IIRC, there were acid names that corresponded or were related with the above esters. I think they were carboxylic acids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboxylic_acid

What is interesting is that Acetic acid is a carboxylic acid and is the only one with 2 carbon atoms with the formula CH3COOH. From there there are 17 more acids, with each adding a methylene group (CH2), and each being a new acid, so the next acid in line would be CH3CH2COOH, then CH3(CH2)2COOH, CH3(CH2)3COOH - noticing that the (CH2)x being the difference in each acid. I'm sure this isn't new to most of you on the site, but it took me a lot of reading years ago to come across this and put things together and I didn't understand it well when I did.

So what I'm wondering is if the above esters of testosterone are made by simple adding the corresponding carboxylic acid to the base compound? Much like taking a drug and adding HCl or H2SO4 to make the hydrochloride or sulfate version of the drug?

If my theory on how this works is correct, using the carboxylic acids on the base, then that makes sense why it takes longer for the body to metabolize it as it breaks down the CH2 during each pass through the system.

Anyone have experience in this? The odd thing is is that I've asked a number of doctors and pharmacists and they had absolutely no idea, not even the slightest notion of what I was talking about (I think they thought I was delusional or making things up...)
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 20:44

The body definitely does NOT break each methylene off of the ester group as you suggest. While that is an interesting bit of speculation on your part, it simply does not hold up with reality. Adding the ester improves the bioavailability and the half life because adding the hydrophobic chain to the molecule, such as with the undecanoate, which adds an 11 carbon straight-chain hydrocarbon to the molecule, makes the molecule more fat-soluble, and therefore more readily taken up from the digestive system when taken orally, and less likely to be excreted. It is actually quite the opposite of taking a drug as a hydrochloride salt or similar- those are produced as salts to improve water solubility. Depending on the drug, it either needs to be water soluble or fat soluble to be effective. It just depends on what the purpose of it is, and where it needs to be delivered.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-4-2018 at 20:44

Go To Top