Sciencemadness Discussion Board

red P from road flares?

LoKi - 4-3-2008 at 18:32

Anyone watch Breaking Bad on AMC? They've been spot on with the chemistry, except they use road flares for phosphorus. to the best of my knowledge, road flares don't have any, http://www.spiegl.org/rocket/flare/flare.html, but I would love to be wrong. Anyone know anything bout this?

BromicAcid - 4-3-2008 at 18:41

No red phosphorus in road flares save the strike surface of the cap. I noticed the same thing and grimaced.

crazyboy - 4-3-2008 at 19:35

Yeah I watch breaking bad! Not the best light shown on our hobby but I like it especially when the bathtub full of hydrofluoric acid and the corpse falls through the ceiling.

I would love red P to experiment with but the DEA has obviously cracked down on it.

No red P in the flare itself but I believe there is red p it the striker surface on the cap which unlike match boxes is a large blob as big as the fingernail on your thumb not a thinly coated strip I have some flares in my car I will check them out.

MagicJigPipe - 4-3-2008 at 21:31

Yes, but road flares are EXPENSIVE and buying them soley for the red phosphorus would be just dumb.

At least matches are cheap.

LoKi - 5-3-2008 at 17:31

yah, I wanna make some MeI so it would be nice to have a source for red P that doesn't require scraping thousands of matchbooks. oh well...