Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Unconventional Shaped Charges

Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  17

greenlight - 14-8-2015 at 04:09

Wow that plate looks exactly like an EFP result I did using a 30 mm diameter liner and 30 grams powder PETN which didn't work as well as yours.
Look at the attached pictures, same splash of copper around one side of the entry and same dimple on the other side.
I think it is from using powder explosive and not pressing to a high density and mine did not hit 100% straight which I think makes that splash effect on one side where the slug impacted first.
Did you press yours and was the target standing up straight so it was a dead-on hit?

[Edited on 14-8-2015 by greenlight]

20150814_195443.jpg - 3.5MBScreenshot_2015-08-14-20-04-29.png - 2.9MB

nux vomica - 14-8-2015 at 04:19

Just hand pressed to pack the charge evenly , I mount everything on the board so it stays square to the target, I wonder if you can plasticize annmal ?

greenlight - 14-8-2015 at 04:28

I think that would be the problem then, same effect as me when I was hand pressing dry PETN.
Plastic is like the Rolls Royce of HE'S. High density and no need to press:D

I have never heard of plastique ANNMAL only AN based slurries. You can always try it.
The only potential problem I could think of would be the hygroscopiscity of the Ammonium nitrate so it would have to be stored very dry. Maybe the binder would seal it in away from moisture.
Another problem could be the NM evaporating from the plastic mass. It would be a very volatile PE if it worked that's for sure.

nux vomica - 14-8-2015 at 04:48

Yeh I think it would be make it as you need it type of mix, I will see if pib dissolves in nitro methane tomorrow, I might back off the aluminum to allow for the pib as well.

[Edited on 14-8-2015 by nux vomica]

greenlight - 14-8-2015 at 04:51

Yeah definitely exclude the Al powder.
Post results of how it goes.

It seems like ypu have the liner angle worked put now, definitely looks like an EFP slug impact and not a jet now.
Cheers, greenlight

paper hole 110

Laboratory of Liptakov - 15-8-2015 at 02:14

I told you that it flips out sideways ...:-) Anyways, Green, nice piece of work. // No aluminum. Reduces brisance. Liptakov.

greenlight - 15-8-2015 at 03:21

Yes you were correct.
Here is revised soft recovery system that I will test soon
Each square is a foam container 1m long.

[Edited on 15-8-2015 by greenlight]

soft recovery.png - 5kB

NeonPulse - 15-8-2015 at 04:31

Quote: Originally posted by nux vomica  
Just hand pressed to pack the charge evenly , I mount everything on the board so it stays square to the target, I wonder if you can plasticize annmal ?

I doubt that would work since it would just suck up water from the air and ruin it. Stick with the methyl ricinoleate idea- if you can get it right you can end up with a very respectable plastic and even lower the binder content which would give greater VOD but with great handling properties.
But Even with as little as 8-9% as a phlegmatizer you can gt a nicely pressed dense charge.
I am going to have a go at EFP's and see what i can come up with. feeling inspired by the past few pages and Its been a while since I've made anything that worked well, The last being a CSC filled with cast pentolite. EFP's and shaped charges are so much more than simply "setting off a charge" with a real process involved and precision in their manufacture- well as much precision as can be had without a kitted out machine shop anyways.;)

nux vomica - 15-8-2015 at 17:04

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  

I doubt that would work since it would just suck up water from the air and ruin it. Stick with the methyl ricinoleate idea- if you can get it right you can end up with a very respectable plastic and even lower the binder content which would give greater VOD but with great handling properties.
But Even with as little as 8-9% as a phlegmatizer you can gt a nicely pressed dense charge.
I am going to have a go at EFP's and see what i can come up with. feeling inspired by the past few pages and Its been a while since I've made anything that worked well, The last being a CSC filled with cast pentolite. EFP's and shaped charges are so much more than simply "setting off a charge" with a real process involved and precision in their manufacture- well as much precision as can be had without a kitted out machine shop anyways.;)

Yeah I suppose the annmal plastic is a bit of a brainfart idea, tried dissolving pib in nitro methane no go it just softened it slightly, nm will gel cordite though.

Just been finishing off my first methyl Ricinoleate synthesis, only a small batch of 50 ml castor oil but I got over 45 ml of methyl Ricinoleate out of the separation funnel :)

Looks like everyone is getting the itch to try these efp,s I suppose I am lucky to be able to fabricate tooling but if I didn't I would still give it a go nuxy

[Edited on 16-8-2015 by nux vomica]

20150816_110332.jpg - 473kB

NeonPulse - 16-8-2015 at 00:51

45ml methylricinoleate is plenty- i still have a large portion of mine left after making a few batches of plastic and that was only 30mls it goes a long way and the effort is well worth it its just the continued rolling session that saps the fun out of it.
An idea i had today for catching the slug is as simple as orientation of the charge so that it points down- like the EFP on a post: bang through the target and into the ground. perhaps the ground could be dug up to a depth of 600mm -1m and the soil loosely replaced perhaps with some ply sheets every 100mm with soil sanwiched between to slow it down a bit.
Failing that spend up $$$ and get a few slabs of ballistics gel A la Mythbusters.

greenlight - 16-8-2015 at 01:50

I think the ply sheets and soil would still deform the slug. You need something lightweight low density (sawdust/foam/etc..).

You can make a product quite similar to ballistics gel with cheap gelatine:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BEHI_K23s

I don't know if it would deform the slug or not because it cause bullets to yaw when they pass through but am unsure about something heavier like a EFP projectile.

[Edited on 16-8-2015 by greenlight]

60° copper cone etn plastic

nux vomica - 21-8-2015 at 03:51

I pulled out a nice piece of 1 1/4 steel from my work scrap bin recently so I used one of my 60° copper cones with 5 grams of etn plastic to have a go at penetrating through it.
It didn't make it but it bulged the back of the plate :mad:
I used 52mm standoff the cone dia was 15mm etn had 10%pib 3% methyl Ricinoleate cheers nuxy.

20150820_212232.jpg - 589kB 20150821_180844.jpg - 584kB 20150821_180859.jpg - 682kB 20150821_210657.jpg - 782kB 20150821_210252.jpg - 897kB 20150821_210746.jpg - 767kB

[Edited on 21-8-2015 by nux vomica]

ecos - 21-8-2015 at 05:52

I just have one question , where do you get the copper cone from ? is it home-made? if yes , please let me know how you made it.

greenlight - 21-8-2015 at 06:00

I also have a question, have you measured the density of your plastic explosive yet nux?

nux vomica - 21-8-2015 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by ecos  
I just have one question , where do you get the copper cone from ? is it home-made? if yes , please let me know how you made it.

Homemade the first two cones are formed in the tube on the right which has a urethane rubber pad in it, the sixty degree is formed in the white plastic tool you anneal between pressings and the bigger the cone the more stages need to be used to allow the copper to shrink gradually .

Greenlight I did a quick and dirty sg measurement by cutting a plastic 5cc syringe off at the 1 cc mark then packing to 2 cc I get 1.36 gm per cc. nuxy
20150807_105650_jpg-thumb.jpg - 19kB

[Edited on 21-8-2015 by nux vomica]

greenlight - 21-8-2015 at 07:19

Nice, are u going to re-test to try and make it all the way through the plate.
Maybe more standoff will result in complete penetration. Sweet spot should be between 4-6× diameter of cone.

gnitseretni - 21-8-2015 at 14:11

Nice work nuxy! Maybe try different thickness cones while keeping else the same to try to improve results.

PHILOU Zrealone - 21-8-2015 at 15:06

Yeah I suppose the annmal plastic is a bit of a brainfart idea, tried dissolving pib in nitro methane no go it just softened it slightly, nm will gel cordite though.

Just been finishing off my first methyl Ricinoleate synthesis, only a small batch of 50 ml castor oil but I got over 45 ml of methyl Ricinoleate out of the separation funnel :)

Looks like everyone is getting the itch to try these efp,s I suppose I am lucky to be able to fabricate tooling but if I didn't I would still give it a go nuxy

NM do form a gel with nitrocellulose...
So you should be able to plasticize AN-NM-Al with it and some ETN. The plastic will become brittle if let in open air due to the volatility of NM what is close to that of water.
--> storage in closed recipient and remalaxing before use.

NeonPulse - 21-8-2015 at 17:30

Nux, with a harder casing and slid attachment of the cone in the casing you should be easily able to penetrate even two layers of that thickness steel. much easier working with the ricinoleate hey? The way the entry is elongated instead of a single round hole is a problem i have had in the past and its due to either the det being off centre or the cone is not totally centre that will obviously reduce penetration slightly too. Great work though!

nux vomica - 21-8-2015 at 19:36

Nice, are u going to re-test to try and make it all the way through the plate.
Maybe more standoff will result in complete penetration. Sweet spot should be between 4-6× diameter of cone.

Thanks Greenlight I am going to have another go I will mod the setup slightly , 4x standoff it is then.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice work nuxy! Maybe try different thickness cones while keeping else the same to try to improve results.
Thanks Gnitseretni I will try that one soon
NM do form a gel with nitrocellulose...
So you should be able to plasticize AN-NM-Al with it and some ETN. The plastic will become brittle if let in open air due to the volatility of NM what is close to that of water.
--> storage in closed recipient and remalaxing before use.
PHILOU Zrealone I have some cordite dissolving in nm at the moment I will use some as soon as I have done some more 60 cone degree testing
Nux, with a harder casing and slid attachment of the cone in the casing you should be easily able to penetrate even two layers of that thickness steel. much easier working with the ricinoleate hey? The way the entry is elongated instead of a single round hole is a problem i have had in the past and its due to either the det being off centre or the cone is not totally centre that will obviously reduce penetration slightly too. Great work though!
Thanks Neon pulse I am trying to stay away from metal casings if possible ( shrapnel ) Ricinoleate works great thanks , all my setups are machined on a lathe so I don't think misalignment is the problem I am changing the plastic etn charge height to further away from the cone top and angling in from the ebw head hopefully this might work better.
Cheers everyone nuxy

Untitled.png - 12kB

[Edited on 22-8-2015 by nux vomica]

greenlight - 21-8-2015 at 21:06

A design similar to this nux?

CSC.png - 19kB

The added explosive height will help as well I think as a conical shaped charge needs more height for shockwave formation/shape before it hits the liner than an EFP does.

[Edited on 22-8-2015 by greenlight]

nux vomica - 21-8-2015 at 21:42

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
A design similar to this nux?

The added explosive height will help as well I think as a conical shaped charge needs more height for shockwave formation/shape before it hits the liner than an EFP does.

[Edited on 22-8-2015 by greenlight]

Thats the basic idea I am thinking of Greenlight more head hight for shockwave formation / stability, what does part 20 and 21 do in the patient you attached.

[Edited on 22-8-2015 by nux vomica]

greenlight - 21-8-2015 at 22:06

The patent is for a shaped charge which a radioactive tracer isotope cap can be placed on the tip of the cone which emits gamma radiation in the resulting hole. By measuring the gamma radiation in the hole, apparently a measurement of depth can be found. The cap is shown in part 20 but can be excluded from your design as I don't think it would be needed:).
Part 21 is showing centred placement of the blasting cap/detonator.

nux vomica - 21-8-2015 at 22:33

No gamma needed here I think I will know if there is a hole in my target :D

nux vomica - 22-8-2015 at 00:31

Ok I have made another shaped charge up, I get 6 mm of etn plastic hight above the cone conpared tothe last shot.

20150822_182526.jpg - 730kB20150822_182600.jpg - 526kB20150822_182539.jpg - 534kB

greenlight - 22-8-2015 at 02:22

Nux is the charge weight the same as the last CSC?

nux vomica - 22-8-2015 at 02:34

Nux is the charge weight the same as the last CSC?

5 grams same as the last one the angle former gave 6 mm extra hight.i am setting it up for a test right now.

greenlight - 22-8-2015 at 02:39

Nice, what was the total explosive height?
Post results when u can:)

nux vomica - 22-8-2015 at 03:27

Results are in no penertration, got a nice looking straight hole over 2.5mmin dia can get a 1.6 mm rod to 29 mm deep in the hole, will have to do test again now :mad:

20150822_205253.jpg - 501kB20150822_211715.jpg - 905kB20150822_211705.jpg - 795kB

greenlight - 22-8-2015 at 03:37

Looks like a much cleaner hole this time though!
Hmmm, I think the variables affecting the penetration problem would have to be standoff or explosive weight/height. I will have further look through some papers.
Did the last CSC test you did make it 29mm through the plate as well?

nux vomica - 22-8-2015 at 03:47

Cant tell on the first one cause the carrot is blocking the hole but the bulge on the back is the same.

gnitseretni - 22-8-2015 at 10:26

Make a cone out of thinner copper sheet. I think that will improve results if everything else is kept the same.

ecos - 22-8-2015 at 15:53

I am not sure but if you would have smaller angle cone this will improve it.
Going from 60 degree to 45 or 30 degree cone angle would be better!

[Edited on 23-8-2015 by ecos]

greenlight - 22-8-2015 at 19:38

60 degrees is about the optimum angle for CSC's.
I have read on here somewhere:
When the cone angle is smaller, the velocity of the jet is higher but its mass becomes much smaller.
When the cone angle is larger, the jet velocity decreases, but slug/carrot velocity increases.

nux vomica - 22-8-2015 at 19:56

I am making a new batch of etn plastic with higher sg hopfully that will make a difference nuxy

greenlight - 23-8-2015 at 02:18

What do you mean by the abbreviation sg?
Forgive me if its something obvious.

ecos - 23-8-2015 at 02:22

i think he mean specific gravity but not sure , just guessing :)

greenlight - 23-8-2015 at 03:02

Yeah I was thinking that too, he must mean higher density plastic.

nux vomica - 23-8-2015 at 03:09

Sorry I should have said grams per cc

greenlight - 23-8-2015 at 03:43

I went through the document optimized conical shaped charges and photographed a couple of tables that may have answers to some of the problems that have been arising with the CSC's. The document studys cone angle/diameter, standoff, explosive height/width, liner material/thickness, and explosive type and tamper.

The first table is different cone angle's and standoff's and their effects.
The second is jet penetration effects from varying explosive height.
The third is a diagram of the final results from all test's incorporated into making a perfect conical shaped charge.

[Edited on 23-8-2015 by greenlight]

20150823_192755.jpg - 7.4MB

20150823_192851.jpg - 8.8MB 20150823_192953.jpg - 6.7MB

It seems I was wrong and Ecos was right and the optimum cone angle is 45 degrees with 60 degrees still being effective but any more angle and the penetration starts to drop off.

So the optimum CSC configuration seems to be:

Cone apex angle 45 Degrees
Liner thickness 0.01 CD (1% cone diameter)
Explosive height 1.5 -2 CD
Explosive width 1-1.4 D
Optimum standoff 2-6 CD

nux vomica - 23-8-2015 at 04:05

Thanks Greenlight for the great info, nuxy.

ecos - 23-8-2015 at 05:22

Per my undersraning, if metal powder like fe2o3 is added. This would improve the propagation wave inside the EM. 1% would be enough.

According to parameters of greenlight we expect around 5 cm penetration. Good luck nex vomica

nux vomica - 23-8-2015 at 05:34

I drew the improvements you posted greenlight into a new shaped charge design thoughts?

sc.png - 22kB

ecos - 23-8-2015 at 05:43

You shouldnt insert the whole detonater inside the explosive. Just 1/3 detonator length should be in.

greenlight - 23-8-2015 at 06:10

Nux, that looks very good:D

Cone angle = 45 good
Liner thickness = 1%CD good
Explosive height = 2×CD good

The shape of the charge casing and the extra head height should nake for nice detonation wave formation.

gnitseretni - 23-8-2015 at 06:29

I don't think you have enough head height there but I hope I'm wrong. The smaller the angle the more force is needed to collapse the cone, so you're expending more energy into collapsing the cone by decreasing the angle and with such a small charge I'm afraid there won't be enough energy left for deep penetration. Again, I hope you'll prove me wrong.

greenlight - 23-8-2015 at 06:54

Hmmm, i will try and find some documents with head height tests in them and see.

greenlight - 23-8-2015 at 08:43

I can only find tests on explosive height not actual head height even though they are nearly the same (increase in explosive height=increase in head height) but after looking at a lot of shaped charge diagrams, a lot of them have about the same head height as Nux's, like the diagram I posted yesterday.
If I am correct, it is still going to be the about the same force, but the higher the head height, the flatter and more planar and well developed (to a certain point) the detonation wave gets before it interacts with the liner.
Optimizing shaped conical charges document says this:

"Using a liner apex angle of 45 degrees and a liner thickness of O.OlD, the explosive height (H) was varied between O.5D and 3D. The jet penetration increases as the explosive height increases, however, there is no significant increase in jet penetration for explosive heights greater than about 1.5D. Therefore, a value for H of 1.5D to 2D appears to be sufficient."

Your diagram is at 2xCD explosive height Nux and the document reported no improvement from there on, even testing up to 3xCD.
You could always make two identical CSC's, but vary the head/exploive height on them to see what works best for your size charge because the CSC's in those tests are 9.8cm in diameter compared to your 1.5.

nux vomica - 23-8-2015 at 15:15

I need to find some 0.16 copper first but the caseing wont be a problem , I will try the drawing dimensions first time around, thanks Greenlight nuxy

ecos - 26-8-2015 at 02:00

Hi All,

I think making concave metal hemisphere shaped charge is much easier than a cone. check figure below.

The cone should be symmetric , apex should be in the center, .....etc , this makes cone design a real challenge

Most of the videos I saw and papers I read prefer cone ! , What I know that a cone would have deeper penetration distance and the hemisphere would have wider hole in the target.

is there any other preferences for using cone rather than hemisphere ?

IMG_20150724_WA0012.jpg - 132kB

greenlight - 26-8-2015 at 02:37

A conical shaped charge and a EFP (hemispherical SC) are totally different from each other.

A conical shaped charge liner turns into a plastic-like jet of high speed copper which makes a small diameter but very deep hole in the target.

A hemispherical liner doesnt get formed into a jet but forms backwards upon itself into a slug of more solid copper that acts more like a bullet using kinetic energy to punch through the target. Nowhere near as fast as a conical liner but makes a bigger diameter but shallower hole.

Conical shaped charges are only really effective at a standoff of 2-6 cone diameters whereas an EFP is effective from many cone diameter away depending on size of charge/liner.

There is more differences between the two but those are the basics.

Conical shaped charge would be better if you could get close to the target or for rocket warheads and EFP is better for targets a distance away. Basically you sacrafice the penetration for a wider hole or vice versa.

[Edited on 26-8-2015 by greenlight]

ecos - 26-8-2015 at 03:37

I think you are right about the trade-off between penetration and the wide of the whole.

I don't know why you think that hemispheres are for EFP , I can find patents talking about hemisphere shaped charge and concentrating the power in axial point : US5522319 and US342423

quote from wiki :

Quote:

By 1886, Gustav Bloem of Düsseldorf, Germany had obtained U.S. Patent 342,423 for hemispherical cavity metal detonators to concentrate the effect of the explosion in an axial direction.[7]

[Edited on 26-8-2015 by ecos]

greenlight - 26-8-2015 at 04:29

Ah I misread and thought you mean the differences between EFP and conical shaped charges.

The shaped charge in the document you linked is still using the Munroe effect when it detonates to form a jet. That patent design is different from EFP because the depth of curve in the liner is much deeper and also the liner is thinner towards the edges which will help it form a jet shape more effectively as the outside of the liner will move the slowest forming the "carrot".

I would think that it would perform very similar to a conical shaped charge but the conical liner design would be slightly superior in penetration and jet tip velocity. The hemisphere might make a larger diameter hole than the cone though, although it seems the edges need to be thinner for it to work effectively.

greenlight - 26-8-2015 at 04:43

Here you go, this might help answer the question more accurately:
Just took some photo's from the pdf document "Introduction to shaped charges" and found pictures of both types of liners.

The first is microsecond pictures of the hemispherical shaped charge being detonated. Note that it still forms a jet but much thicker and not as elongated.

20150826_203734.jpg - 5.7MB

20150826_204022.jpg - 8.7MB 20150826_203832.jpg - 4.9MB

Above is two photo's mid-detonation of a conical shaped charge undergoing detonation. Note how the jet is much smaller in diameter and stretches out much more.

So, yes, I believe the hemispherical liner would make a larger hole but you would not be getting as high jet tip velocity as a conical shaped charge.
Hope the photos help..

Hemisphere shaped charge

ecos - 26-8-2015 at 05:44

Thanks a lot green light.

I also investigated this point. I found this nice article article

Capture.png - 71kB

This would make the hemisphere less desired to penetrate targets! I have a real headache for making a symmetric cone ! , it always deform while working on it! pffff

greenlight - 26-8-2015 at 06:00

Very interesting article, I am about to read the whole thing but just had a quick look and there is a graph of hemi vs conical liner and it appears that the conical liner reaches at least 3 -4 Km/s faster jet velocity than the hemispherical liner.
Also this:
"The hemispherical liner collapses into a fairly compact mass that causes a peak stagnation pressure to be reached at about 4.5 µs. The jet tip reaches a peak velocity shortly after this time, and fastest portion of the jet remains at the front during the entire tip formation. On the other hand, the jet of the cone forms by the more classical quasi- steady jetting mechanism in which the liner collapses sequentially onto the centerline from apex to base. The tip forms from the apex region, much earlier time than the hemisphere. Peak stagnation pressure occurs at 3.25 µs for the cone and peak tip velocity is reached shortly afterwards. Slower tip material formed earlier is pushed away into a cloud of debris by the faster trailing material."

Yes, unfortunately it does make the hemispherocal liner less desirable penetration-wise.

I have the same problem with forming conical liners as I don't have the equipment needed to form symmetrical copper cones.
I would like to try a method that Neonpulse advised me which involves electroforming the copper liner in a Copper sulphate solution with a former and using a phone charger as the power source. Seems much easier than other methods.

NeonPulse - 26-8-2015 at 18:16

The actual thread is called electroforming copper liners and I think it's in techno chemistry section here. There is a full description there with PDFs. The possibilities for liners is only limited by the forms you can make.

nitro-genes - 29-8-2015 at 07:10

Nice picures greenlight, was the lower one from a tulip shaped liner by chance? The mushroom shape at the tip of the jet is very pronounced with this type of liner IIRC. The angle for tulip shape would go from relatively wide at the apex, to very steep towards the bottom, creating a jet that may have an inverse velocity gradient, effectively collapsing on itself, forming IIRC the "crown". This is opposed to trumpet shaped liners.

Any luck yet with capturing the EFP? Maybe this would be a good option? :)

--> http://home.boopli.co.uk/product/wilko-pet-bedding-wood-shav...

I would aim for the rabbit :D

Hemispherical liners supopsedly can reach similar jet tip velocities as conical liners, when the inhibiting pole region of the liner is not allowed to collapse. There should be a patent posted somewhere in this thread about this. Hemispherical liners at these charge diamater may also need some extra subcallibration.

[Edited on 29-8-2015 by nitro-genes]

greenlight - 29-8-2015 at 10:21

Thanks, nitro-genes, I am unsure because all it says in the description for the pictures is the collapse of a shaped charge with a conical liner.

I tried to catch the EFP again with a line of boxes using wood shavings and dust I collected from a woodwork shop via the vacuum duct dust removal system that leads it all into a bin outside. It is probably very similar to the stuff in the link that you posted.
I laid about 6 boxes in a line with two styrofoam ones at the front. It managed to escape out the side again though so it was not worth uploading photos. The projectile seems to tumble and ricochet a lot when it loses some of its velocity which makes it hard to collect. The shot was dead-centre as well so it isn't the aiming that is the problem.
An interesting observation is that the styrofoam is burnt quite a bit where the projectile passed through leaving a channel 2-3x the size of the actual slug. It must be pretty hot. I have heard 400-500 degrees C.

I will definitely be trying again as I really want to collect one undamaged.
I will use a triangle shape of boxes starting with one and then two boxes behind it and then three behind that all filled with wood shavings so if it deviates from its intended path I should still be able to retrieve it.

Will post results:)

[Edited on 29-8-2015 by greenlight]

[Edited on 29-8-2015 by greenlight]

30mm Conical Shaped Charge

NeonPulse - 1-9-2015 at 04:04

Recently I Tested another one of my electroformed liners with pleasing results. total penetration of 80mm, my best effort yet. the angle of this cone was around 50 deg and just over 1.2mm thick. set into a steel pipe with a thread and steel cap. Head height was 2 CD and standoff was 1.75CD The filling was 25g PETN and 16ml NG as a slurry mixture.
For safety reasons the target plates were set in a hole the loaded charge placed and a sheath of 50mmID PVC tubing placed around the charge and this was surrounded by dirt. a plastic cap placed on the tubing with the firing line through it and the remainder of the hole filled and a mound of dirt on top. I Am very aware of flying steel hazards so I was also behind a huge tree about 50m away.
The charge fired underground with a dull thud and a shower of dirt leaving a large crater and a cloud of smoke
The Target plates were dug up with anticipation and the results was worth all the effort.
6 and a half of the 12mm structural steel plates i had bolted together were punched clean through. Not bad considering the small amount of compounds used for the result.

I see of this shot too there is the little false jet near the main entry hole, i spent ages ensuring the lot was dead center but even then it happened.
the pics are of the buried charge the plates unstacked ant the last plate showing the tip, which is kind of the reason i used a stack instead of a block- its so much easier to see the jet path

30mm steel housing.JPG - 93kB Aburial.JPG - 214kB Adeep.JPG - 287kB stack.JPG - 132kB tip.JPG - 193kB

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by NeonPulse]

gnitseretni - 1-9-2015 at 04:26

Nicely done!

Angle looks bigger than 50 degrees though. Dunno, maybe the picture makes the angle seem larger?

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by gnitseretni]

greenlight - 1-9-2015 at 04:30

Well done Neonpulse, I think the 2x explosive height and metal confinement would have enhanced the detonation wave shape and propagation a lot:D
Nice penetration!

nux vomica - 1-9-2015 at 04:36

Nice neon, not a bad idea burying everything to keep the noise down and absorb any shrapnel from the charge. :cool:

[Edited on 2-9-2015 by nux vomica]

Hennig Brand - 1-9-2015 at 11:43

I just took a couple crude measurements from the picture, and using trigonometry (tan function), the apex angle looks to be closer to 65-70 degrees. Very nicely made liner and very respectable penetration!

NeonPulse - 1-9-2015 at 15:41

I didn't see that, it was meant to say 60 deg not 50 I have an identical liner and I'll measure the exact angle later.

ecos - 2-9-2015 at 05:43

penetration of 6.5 * 12 mm = 7.8 cm is super amazing with just "25g PETN and 16ml NG as a slurry mixture"

Well done !

NeonPulse - 3-9-2015 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
I didn't see that, it was meant to say 60 deg not 50 I have an identical liner and I'll measure the exact angle later.

So it's just less than 60 degrees more like 55.

image.jpg - 1.6MB

Hennig Brand - 3-9-2015 at 17:11

Three corners of a triangle must add up to 180 degrees. The angle you are measuring is the bottom corner angle, which should be about the same on both sides. So, if it is close to 55 degrees then 180 - (55 * 2) = 70 degrees for the apex angle.

10 grms through 72 mm steel

nux vomica - 11-9-2015 at 07:19

I have finally beaten the 32 mm steel plate and then some , I was going for the four 10mm plates tacked together on top of the 32 mm plate but instead of the 32 mm plate being part penetrated it went straight through it :D

the copper cone was 20mm in diameter and 15 mm high and 0.6 thick I used 10 grams of plastic etn ( 1.6 head height) and 50 mm standoff (2.5 x dia ) fired by my ebw fire set through 7 meters rg6 coax.

The jet had narrowed to 2mm by the time it had penetrated 20mm and it basically stayed that dia through the plates.

cheers nux

20150912_002515.jpg - 1.2MB 20150912_002539.jpg - 1.1MB 20150912_002933.jpg - 1.1MB 20150912_005410.jpg - 1.2MB 20150912_005420.jpg - 1.2MB 20150912_005452.jpg - 1.2MB 20150912_005515.jpg - 1.4MB

[Edited on 11-9-2015 by nux vomica]

greenlight - 11-9-2015 at 07:33

Nicely done Nux, seems like that extra 10 grams plastic (you used 5 grams last time if I am correct) and resulting extra head height did wonders for the jet formation and velocity:)

nux vomica - 11-9-2015 at 14:25

Thanks greenlight, yeah the extra five grams seem to make a lot of difference to the result I suppose bigger is better. :D

aga - 11-9-2015 at 14:36

Apppologies for not reading the whole 51 pages of this thead,

It just occurred to me that 'shaping' charges might be a Dynamic thing.

Has anyone tried an arrangement where there are Three parallel lines of charge material.

All detonated at the same time, but the outer charges kind of 'beam-form' the blast from the main explosive.

TDX if anyone ever read 'Cities in Flight'.

[Edited on 11-9-2015 by aga]

NeonPulse - 11-9-2015 at 17:34

Nice one nux! I'll bet you could do better still with a PETN or RDX as your main charge. Or perhaps even a mixture of liquid and solid explosives. But the 72 mm from this amount of explosive= awesome! ;)

nux vomica - 11-9-2015 at 19:24

Thanks neon, the penertration was better than I expected i thought it might go halfway into the 32 mm steel not through it. :)

[Edited on 12-9-2015 by nux vomica]

dangerous amateur - 12-9-2015 at 04:41

Quote:

through 7 meters rg6 coax.

How do you do these tests, did you bury the setup?

7m is extremely short, must be pretty load. How about shrapnel protection?

nux vomica - 12-9-2015 at 05:02

Quote: Originally posted by dangerous amateur  

Quote:

through 7 meters rg6 coax.

How do you do these tests, did you bury the setup?

7m is extremely short, must be pretty load. How about shrapnel protection?

No burying theres a sacrificial end on the rg6 which gets destroyed, I am behind a dirt pile and the caseings all plastic plus im already going deaf:D
Nux

Hennig Brand - 12-9-2015 at 17:33

That is a very nice result, 3.6D in penetration!

nux vomica - 12-9-2015 at 17:50

Quote: Originally posted by Hennig Brand  
That is a very nice result, 3.6D in penetration!

Thanks hennig .
Am I right in saying that I should be able to get 7+ cone diameters of penetration (120mm) if everything was perfect with my shaped charge ?
Nuxy

[Edited on 13-9-2015 by nux vomica]

greenlight - 12-9-2015 at 18:47

I found a graph in pdf on shaped charge calculation models that may be able to help answer your question. It graphs non-precision charge vs a precision made charge and then ideal jet performance at the top which would be very hard to explain.
For a non-precision charge it peaks at about 4.5 CD at about 2.5 CD so it seems your standoff was perfect.
Only question is what constitutes a precision made charge because most of the charges on SM are quite precision designed already so where is the line?
I don't know if you could make 7 CD penetration as that is quite high on the table but I couldn't answer until I found out what has to be done to go from a non-precision charge to a precision one according to the graph
So I've kind of given a question for a question:)

[Edited on 13-9-2015 by greenlight]

20150913_103549.jpg - 8MB

nux vomica - 12-9-2015 at 19:06

That 7x cd penetration was a bit pie in the sky greenlight 4.5 sounds more reasonable to me now, I might bump the charge up to 15 grams and see what difference that makes.

Precision vs. non precision bit of a hard one that maybe there talking about improvised charges vs. military manufactured charges.

thanks Greenlight. nux

greenlight - 13-9-2015 at 01:00

Yes, I think they are talking about military manufactured charges when they say precision.
If enough time is put into putting the charge together and crafting the liner using special equipment, you could come up with something meeting the "precision" requirements at home surely.
Nux, your liners are perfectly symmetrical and spun on a lathe (proper equipment) if I am correct, they should be above the scale of a non-precision liner. Maybe more penetration is possible
I wonder if they are made in somewhat the same way in a factory that are designing liners for military use?

I agree with NP, I think you could enhance the penetration depth by using a more powerful explosive.
I attached a picture from a page comparing HMX and the new explosive CL-20 in shaped charges and co-crystallization of the two.

cl-20-high-power-military-explosive-2@2x.jpg - 48kB

CL-20 is on the left and HMX on the right.
It does not state how thick the steel plates are but that is quite a lot of penetration especially considering that the page says that both charges only had 30 grams of explosive in them!

This also shows that more powerful explosive does help with penetration in CSC's (9100m/s for HMX and 9660m/s for CL-20). The extra 550 m/s gives a increase of 40% penetration power assuming that the charges had the same confining geometry/liner dimensions.
Differences in heat of explosion, brisance, etc between the two explosives could also increase/decrease penetration I am guessing.

gnitseretni - 13-9-2015 at 09:59

Nice work Nux! But you sure are making me miss the days when I made shaped charges. Lol!

Based on the graph Greenlight posted... since your cones are very symmetrical, I think you could increase penetration if you increased your standoff. By increasing standoff you'll stretch the jet and reduce its diameter which should result in deeper penetration.

Joeychemist - 13-9-2015 at 11:07

Precision vs. non precision bit of a hard one

The Precision Linear Shaped Charge (PLSC) design concept basically involves the independent fabrication and assembly of the liner/wedge, the tamper/confinement, and explosive. The liner is the most important part of a linear shaped charge (LSC) and should be fabricated by a more quality controlled, precise process than the tamper material. Also, this concept allows the liner material to be different from the tamper material. The explosive can be loaded between the liner and tamper as the last step in the assembly process rather than the first step as in conventional LSC designs. PLSC designs have been shown to produce increased jet penetrations in given targets, more reproducible jet penetration, and more efficient explosive cross-section geometries using a minimum amount of explosive.

PLSC are mainly used in rocket stage separation, parachute system release, flight termination, severance of thick metallic barriers and system flight abort or disablement. Most of the LSC components for these systems require precise and reproducible jet penetration using the minimum explosive and component weights.

Some of the disadvantages of conventional LSC designs are as follows: Non-symmetrical cross-section geometries, Nonuniform explosive density (neither within a plane at a given distance or along the length), Non-optimized explosive and sheath cross-section geometries, Non-reproducible jet penetrations in target materials, etc...

I agree with NP, I think you could enhance the penetration depth by using a more powerful explosive.

This is true to an extent but not the only variable... I would also suggest adding more tamping.... The explosive charge to liner mass ratio can be designed to optimize the transfer of energy from the detonation wave through the liner to the high-velocity jet and the explosive charge to tamper mass ratio can be designed to optimize the tamper material and thickness too.

PHILOU Zrealone - 13-9-2015 at 11:47

@Greenlight,
The plates must be 3cm because 30g shaped charge CL-20 is able to pierce through 21 cm iron steel armor (7*3 cm = 21 cm) ;)

[Edited on 13-9-2015 by PHILOU Zrealone]

nux vomica - 13-9-2015 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by gnitseretni  
Nice work Nux! But you sure are making me miss the days when I made shaped charges. Lol!

Based on the graph Greenlight posted... since your cones are very symmetrical, I think you could increase penetration if you increased your standoff. By increasing standoff you'll stretch the jet and reduce its diameter which should result in deeper penetration.

Thanks gnitseretn, its a pity you cant still dabble in them :(
I am thinking of making the top cone radius larger as I can just get a 1.5 mm rod through the bottom of the hole and think that might enlarge the hole dia.
With a larger diameter jet and more standoff hopefully I can get some more penertration out of my setup.
Nuxy

ecos - 14-9-2015 at 00:38

I went through the document optimized conical shaped charges and photographed a couple of tables that may have answers to some of the problems that have been arising with the CSC's. The document studys cone angle/diameter, standoff, explosive height/width, liner material/thickness, and explosive type and tamper.

The first table is different cone angle's and standoff's and their effects.
The second is jet penetration effects from varying explosive height.
The third is a diagram of the final results from all test's incorporated into making a perfect conical shaped charge.

It seems I was wrong and Ecos was right and the optimum cone angle is 45 degrees with 60 degrees still being effective but any more angle and the penetration starts to drop off.

So the optimum CSC configuration seems to be:

Cone apex angle 45 Degrees
Liner thickness 0.01 CD (1% cone diameter)
Explosive height 1.5 -2 CD
Explosive width 1-1.4 D
Optimum standoff 2-6 CD

according to the tables and the graph of greenlight , the stand-off distance should be around 6 CD.
the angle should be also a good factor. I think the above experiments used 60 degree cones. if it was 45 degree you can reach 1 CD increase in penetration.

VoD of the EM is an important factor but CL-20 is not easy to be synthesized.
most of the successful setups on internet used (PETN+NG) or plastic ETN.
I found (PETN+NG) gave much better penetration.
Good luck

[Edited on 14-9-2015 by ecos]

greenlight - 14-9-2015 at 00:53

The graph says that the optimum standoff for a non precision charge peaks at about 2-3 CD.
For a precision charge, optimum standoff appears to be between 4 and 6 CD like ecos said, maybe even up to 8 CD

The only question is because Nux uses proper equipment to form his liners, where does his charge fit on the graph? Precision or non- prescision?

Its probably down to guess work but we will know what category his are in by the penetration of his next CSC test.

[Edited on 14-9-2015 by greenlight]

nux vomica - 14-9-2015 at 03:30

The graph says that the optimum standoff for a non precision charge peaks at about 2-3 CD.
For a precision charge, optimum standoff appears to be between 4 and 6 CD like ecos said, maybe even up to 8 CD

The only question is because Nux uses proper equipment to form his liners, where does his charge fit on the graph? Precision or non- prescision?

Its probably down to guess work but we will know what category his are in by the penetration of his next CSC test.

Dont put any pressure on me will you greenlight. Hahaha ;)

[Edited on 14-9-2015 by nux vomica]

gnitseretni - 14-9-2015 at 04:24

Quote: Originally posted by gnitseretni  

Thanks gnitseretn, its a pity you cant still dabble in them :(
I am thinking of making the top cone radius larger as I can just get a 1.5 mm rod through the bottom of the hole and think that might enlarge the hole dia.
With a larger diameter jet and more standoff hopefully I can get some more penertration out of my setup.
Nuxy

The only way to increase the diameter of the hole while keeping penetration the same is by increasing the whole charge. Liner, amount of explosive, everything. You don't wanna do that. You can get a slightly bigger hole by decreasing liner angle but you'll sacrifice penetration, which you also don't wanna do.

The size of the hole is fine. Focus on penetration not the size of the hole.

greenlight - 14-9-2015 at 04:57

No pressure Nux :)

Like knitseretni said, keep charge specs the same and see how much penetration can be obtained from it.

greenlight - 16-9-2015 at 04:35

Had a break from trying to catch the EFP slug and decided to try a small scale EFP for a change.

This time diameter of charge was only 18 mm and explosive height was 1.5x liner diameter.
Liner was 1.79g in weight, 0.9mm thick and had a depth of curvature of 3mm.
Charge weight was 9 grams 79/5/16 PETN/RDX/plasticizer/binder.
Target was 6mm steel and standoff was 35 cm.

Result is a nice through and through with a hole diameter of 11mm. I think that it could go through 10 mm which I will eventually attempt as well.

[Edited on 16-9-2015 by greenlight]

20150826_155422.jpg - 4MB 20150916_171414.jpg - 4.4MB 20150916_172634.jpg - 5.4MB

20150916_172641.jpg - 5.1MB

greenlight - 16-9-2015 at 05:11

More pictures with scale.

20150916_210056.jpg - 2.9MB20150916_205958.jpg - 4.7MB

Bert - 16-9-2015 at 05:46

This began as an experiment on improvised reinforced blasting cap design.

Capsule is made of a 6mm bullet jacket on primary end, pressed inside of a 7mm jacket on output end. Epoxy is applied to exterior of 6mm tube, and a miniature tubeing cutter is used to swage a locking groove on overlapped area after assembly-

Primary is 350mg of 80:20 Mercury fulminate:Potassium chlorate. A commercial electric match embedded in epoxy putty is used to fire the device.

Base charge is 500mg well pressed & plasticized PETN under 500mg of hand pressed pure PETN.

After a couple of contact tests on steel plates, a couple more shots were tried with 3 and 5 X OD stand offs. The holes in 10mm steel target are at least 5mm deep- There is still some of the "carrot" down in the hole I could not remove, will section plate and measure full depth later. The output end seems to behave more as an EFP than a SC- Wide angle of the cavity liner was a fortuitous accident, not my original design intent! Output end profile of 7mm Copper capsule is spun into it with a 120 degree center punch chucked into a drill press, inspired by Copper smithing disclosed here by Laboratory of Liptakov-

image.jpg - 913kB image.jpg - 1.9MB image.jpg - 1.8MB image.jpg - 777kB image.jpg - 1.1MB

image.jpg - 2.9MB image.jpg - 2.1MB image.jpg - 2.1MB

[Edited on 16-9-2015 by Bert]

nux vomica - 16-9-2015 at 13:43

Nice result greenlight looks good.

Bert are you drawing the jackets or are they commercial, nice result as well though .

[Edited on 16-9-2015 by nux vomica]

NeonPulse - 16-9-2015 at 18:22

I was wondering if anybody knows why the inside of the holes made by a CSC appear to be lined gold? Is there some kind of alloying of copper with the steel targets? You note this effect on many of the penetration pics here and I'm curious to know if anybody knows

greenlight - 16-9-2015 at 19:20

I think it is something to do with when you get new copper pipe it has a nice colour which fades from oxidization in air.
Also, when you cut copper the new cut face is always much brighter in colour.
I think the colour is from the new surface of copper that has been coated on the hole during penetration which oxidizes back to the dull colour after exposure to air. I think the high temperature and stress energy applied to the copper may contribute to the more golden appearance.

I have noticed the nice gold colour fades to dull brown/orange after a couple of days which supports this.

Joeychemist - 16-9-2015 at 20:35

Right, copper is attacked by O2 and CO2 and atmospheric moisture.

2 Cu (s) + O2+ H2O (g) + CO2 = Cu(OH)2 + CuCO3 (s)

This is not a one step process. The copper first oxidizes forming cupric oxide (copper I oxide) . The water and carbon dioxide form carbonic acid (H2CO3), then the copper I oxide and carbonic acid react forming copper hydroxide and copper carbonate.

The jet from a shaped charge moves at different speeds and that’s why it will stretch. As it stretches it will break up into particles. Also, at the apex of the cone, which forms the very front of the jet, does not have time to be fully accelerated before it forms its part of the jet. This results in its small part of jet being projected at a lower velocity than jet formed later behind it. As a result, the initial parts of the jet coalesce to form a pronounced wider tip portion. As the jet forces through a target, the high pressure and fluid-like behavior of the jet along with the stretching and break-up of the jet causes the copper to “coat” the inside of target and expose the clean copper that I too really wish was gold. ;)

[Edited on 17-9-2015 by Joeychemist]

Bert - 17-9-2015 at 05:57

Bert are you drawing the jackets or are they commercial

The 6mm jackets are as provided by Corbin. Only modification is to drill bottom 7/64" and de burr hole for Ematch wire exit point.

The 7mm jackets started out life as .308 x 1.25" long "versatile bench rest" jackets. They have been run through a swage down die intended to make .284 bullet jackets , are now about 1.4" long. A friend who makes his own jacketed bullets via swaging did this step for me, I'll ask for pictures of the equipment involved.

I will post additional pictures of the conversion process when I have time-

nux vomica - 17-9-2015 at 15:03

Thanks bert I am working on swageing aluminum det capsules at the moment and was wondering if you were starting from flat stock or preformed cups.

20 mm shaped charge second try.

nux vomica - 17-9-2015 at 23:59

Well I had a success and a fail with the second 20mm csc I have a cool looking carrot sticking out of plate no 2, and my tack welds failed so the plate stack broke apart before I got full penetration.

The charge was exactly the same as charge no 1 but I used 3x standoff and had 100mm of tacked plates on top of the 32mm plate, i still got 79mm penetration but as I said it looks like the stresses were to much for my tacks so the jet broke the stack apart and it stop penetrating after the 79mm mark. :mad:

Looks like I will need to weld the plates better for the next test nuxy.

[Edited on 18-9-2015 by nux vomica]

20150917_200320.jpg - 1.1MB20150917_205716.jpg - 1.1MB20150918_173451.jpg - 1.9MB20150918_173735.jpg - 1.9MB20150918_173958.jpg - 1.8MB20150918_173909.jpg - 2MB20150918_173548.jpg - 1.7MB20150918_173536.jpg - 1.4MB

Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  17