Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Mars lander Phoenix

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 09:40

In about six hours , Mars is getting a visitor.

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/index.html

[Edited on 25-5-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

MagicJigPipe - 25-5-2008 at 10:54

I did some calculations and when the lander lands on Mars it will take 15 minutes for our radio signals to reach it which basically means it has a response delay of 30 minutes because we are seeing images (from the craft) that happened 15 minutes ago.

So, if it were the situation where destruction of the spacecraft was 25min away, it would be screwed. I find that very fascinating.

JohnWW - 25-5-2008 at 11:08

There is an on-board computer on the craft, which provides automatic correction for angle and velocity and orientation of approach, based on on-board measurements of such things as velocity, altitude, position, direction of travel, and atmospheric pressure. This provides little need, if any, for a manual override directed from Earth.

[Edited on 26-5-08 by JohnWW]

MagicJigPipe - 25-5-2008 at 12:51

I understand that, but some instructions are still needed, especially in case of emergency.

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 13:34

There's probably dedicated hardware logic and software running parallel to that to tweak the descent event sequence timing.

The onboard autopilot either gets it right, and the hardware does its job, or the whole plan is SOL:D

Martian gravity is predicted to one hundred per cent
reliably bring about the landing at some touchdown velocity. So really it is only a matter of auto-finessing
a gentle meeting of landing pads and martian surface
via an intelligent throttling of the descent engine, so
that the desired low rendezvous velocity is achieved:P

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 15:44

Two minutes to entry of the Martian atmosphere

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 15:54

Phoenix has soft landed on Mars.

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/

During the entry there was no blackout from atmospheric heating. Telemetry was uninterrupted during the entire descent, relayed to Earth by the Mars Odyssey orbiter which was orbiting nearby overhead to the Phoenix lander. Odyssey is a still on station and functioning Mars orbiter from 2001.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/spotlight/20080523a.html

Image is Courtesy of NASA/JPL-Caltech

JustMe - 25-5-2008 at 17:38

Now just waiting for the Solar panels to unfurl (2 hour wait after touchdown), and for camera platform to rise up....

I haven't watched a "live" landing since Viking!

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 17:59

All is well, the solar panels are deployed and pictures are coming in.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=0&cID=7

chemoleo - 25-5-2008 at 18:56

Very cool!
There almost seems to be some sort of regularity on the ground, hexagonal or pentagonal perhaps?
I wonder if they have landed on flood basalt - here on earth it sometimes leaves hexa/pentagonal columns, i.e. as in the Giants Causeway in Ireland, or on many locations in Iceland.
Olympus Mons and the other Tharsis volcanoes are way more towards the equator, so I don't know if this makes sense...

So close to the pole, I wonder whether the probe will get impeded by CO2 precipitation during the Mars winter.... from what I remember it appears during the winter and goes during the summer...

On the matter of water on Mars - check this on google Mars:

http://www.google.com/mars/#lat=28.574874&lon=-50.449218...

I really wonder what other process than water could cause such markings in the ground - this looks like canyon areas right from a plane!

Or look at this:
http://www.google.com/mars/#lat=11.135287&lon=-31.333007...

This looks like craters, that were leveled and flooded post impact - else why would their rims be leveled once intersecting with the flow valleys?

and this
http://www.google.com/mars/#lat=-8.363692&lon=-79.255371...

looks like what we see in any of earth canyons... this is infrared btw, and striations are inverted, light colours don't mean it's high but rather illumination (and heating) by the sun.

Fascinating! I wish more human energy was spent on this rather than stupid wars, weapons and similar. Peace :)

[Edited on 26-5-2008 by chemoleo]

JustMe - 25-5-2008 at 19:30

The regularity (polygons), are believed to be evidence of the presence of a kind of permafrost (as you know water sublimes at that low pressure, and creates these shapes).

Yes, carbon dioxide "precipitation" will cover the probe when winter comes, they expect it to be buried. Consequently the 90 day mission is REALLY a 90 day mission (unlike the rovers). Of course six months later they will send a signal to see if it did survive, but that is highly unlikely buried under a the CO2. Batteries couldn't recharge so they will freeze along with the electronics. Still, y'never know.

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 20:11

Well Odyssey has been patiently waiting seven years for her mate to arrive. The first mission was only half successful, as
a little metric to english measurement conversion error put the first lander into a crater at high velocity instead of a soft landing ......oops:P I believe it is the same one I was thinking about, where the guys with the slide rules screwed the pooch:D and the soft landing turned into a spacecraft surface impact penetration depth experiment instead. After that faux pas, then funding got cut and the mission was cancelled. But the spare probe was reworked and launched (finally) to complete the mission, if I have the story right.

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/sm_140.jpg

Sauron - 25-5-2008 at 20:35

How long do you reckon before the luddite assholes in the world start websites "proving" that all this was really done on a Hollywood sound stage? They are still saying that about Apollo 11.

I was 3.5 miles from the pad when Apollo 11 took off, that was in the press area 1.5 miles inside the danger zone. The blasts pulsed like a heartbeat, and pushed me backwards from three and a half miles, like a hand planted in my chest. Unforgettable. I was 19 at the time.

Twospoons - 25-5-2008 at 20:59

That must have been a hell of a sight, Sauron. I envy you.

Water on Mars? You betcha!

Rosco Bodine - 25-5-2008 at 21:14

This crater is 22 miles (35 km) wide and is about 1.2 miles (2 km) deep. The circular patch of bright material located at the center of the crater is water ice that remains year round. Frost can also be seen along the rim of the crater. This unnamed impact crater is located on Vastitas Borealis, a broad plain that covers much of Mars' far northern latitudes.

Crater Ice Pond
Photo credit: ESA
Date: 2006-08-22

JohnWW - 26-5-2008 at 06:26

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe
Now just waiting for the Solar panels to unfurl (2 hour wait after touchdown), and for camera platform to rise up.
Because of the high latitude where it is on Mars, well within 25 degrees (the Martian obliquity of the ecliptic) of the north pole which will be in darkness for much of the 6-month Martian winter, it will need more than solar power to keep it working for long. Does it have an onboard radioisotope thermoelectric power source? (Any Martians there would certainly head south for the winter!).

-jeffB - 26-5-2008 at 06:49

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
Because of the high latitude where it is on Mars, well within 25 degrees (the Martian obliquity of the ecliptic) of the north pole which will be in darkness for much of the 6-month Martian winter, it will need more than solar power to keep it working for long. Does it have an onboard radioisotope thermoelectric power source? (Any Martians there would certainly head south for the winter!).

Believe it or not, the engineers and scientists who designed the probe took this into account. :) The probe is indeed solar-powered; at its current latitude, the panels will produce about a kilowatt-hour per sol (Martian "day"), if I'm remembering correctly from last night's coverage. (A quick Google search isn't turning up the exact figure.)

The probe is not intended to work through the entire winter.

chemoleo - 26-5-2008 at 07:18

THat's a fascinating picture! Here's a high resolution pic taken from a perspective.
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_41.jpg
Resolution: 15m per pixel
The crater is 35 km wide and 2 km deep (!)
What I'm surprised about is that they so clearly and casually state it is water ice - I always thought the big debate was whether surface ice existed?

See this, H2O as seen from the north pole, detected by gammarays:

If there's one crater with ice, there must be many - why can't they land somewhere where there is a huge patch of surface ice?

Btw here's the relation of the landing to other previous probes:

[Edited on 26-5-2008 by chemoleo]

JustMe - 26-5-2008 at 12:02

The MRO (HiRise) orbiter (I know, redundant) managed to get this picture of the Phoenix hanging from its parachute during descent! Amazing!

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/05_26_pr.php

woelen - 27-5-2008 at 11:09

JustMe, that is one of the best pics I have seen so far. This really is amazing! Human activity on another planet, which can be seen as real, not some sci-fi thing!

Sauron - 28-5-2008 at 04:15

One of my old gang, Dr.Edward C.Ezell, now deceased, used to be the official NASA historian at the Johnson Space Center before he moved on to be curator of the Department of Military History and National Firearms Collection at the Smithsonian (Natl Museum of American History).

I am sorry Ed didn't live to see this.

He was editor of SMALL ARMS OF THE WORLS, the standard reference bible in its field; author of SMALL ARMS TODAY, THE GREAT RIFLE CONTROVERSY (which was his doctoral dissertation), THE BLACK RIFLE (with Blake Stevens), THE AK47 STORY, and more. For a while he had been Interarms man in Singapore.

I miss him a lot.

[Edited on 28-5-2008 by Sauron]

water ice on Mars confirmed by Phoenix

Rosco Bodine - 20-6-2008 at 17:58

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/06_20_pr.php

Mr. Wizard - 20-6-2008 at 19:13

That's amazing.. Is the reddish tinge on the right hand side of the shadows in the hole an artifact or real? It sure looks like ice, especially on the left side where it transitions to soil.

Watching a man step onto the surface of the moon again , or land on Mars would be very good too. What an accomplishment.

Sauron, did your friend help in looking for the missing moon shot film that showed the first moon landing, but are now missing or lost?

Rosco Bodine - 20-6-2008 at 19:47

The red tinged shadow edges are probably an imaging artifact
or a shadow edge coloration from the red skylight, I'm not certain.
Anyway it appears they have found half the makings for a pot of tea there,
so the British interest should be at least fifty per cent in this off world discovery:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzeR0uFHaY&feature=relat...

[Edited on 20-6-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

MagicJigPipe - 22-6-2008 at 06:57

What does that video have to do with anything?

I mean, she's pretty, but just a little big-boned ;)

IMO, I think it would be more worth everyone's time and money to look for valuable minerals on Mars instead of life. Water is valuable outside of Earth. But now what?

We should be looking for sources of Pt, Pd, Au, Cu, Ni etc. so someday it will be profitable to mine these elements in space. All it will take for space exploration to explode is for it to be profitable. I think if we found a good chunk of Pt or Au it would most certainly be economically viable to invest in the technology needed for space-mining missions.

not_important - 22-6-2008 at 07:05

Hauling most minerals up out of the gravitational well of Mars, combined with the energy cost of getting there and back, just isn't going to be very economic. More ROI in figuring out how to do asteroid mining, as there's no gravity well to deal with.

Finding life on another planet, OTOH, has major scientific implications.

[Edited on 22-6-2008 by not_important]

Rosco Bodine - 22-6-2008 at 09:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzeR0uFHaY&feature=relat...

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
What does that video have to do with anything?

Hmmm....maybe H2O ? She is singing a psalm, speaking
of how the wind is the breath of God and the rain is His tears
and all that other beautiful poetic "gushing" kind of stuff:D
You must not be much of a romantic.
She is something of a spirit in flight too,
landing once in awhile to sing us a song,
so it seemed appropriate to me anyway.
Here's another sample from another admirer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wC9vq68yDQ&feature=relat...
Quote:

I mean, she's pretty, but just a little big-boned ;)

She's fourteen years old there
and still carrying a lot of baby fat:P
But it looks like it is all developing nicely to me anyway.
Of course I like 'em with plenty of meat on their bones...
none of that anorexic stuff has quite the same "presence"
if you follow what I mean:D
I mean, it's like when when you buy a bowl of ice cream,
you do want to feel like you are not being jipped,
but are getting your money's worth....right? :D
Rubens would have turned somersaults to get this girl displayed on canvas;):P
Big Beautiful Women, megababes, yeah that's the way I like 'em too:D
Quote:

IMO, I think it would be more worth everyone's time and money to look for valuable minerals on Mars instead of life. Water is valuable outside of Earth. But now what?

The water is essential for the electrolytic and photosynthetic processes
which would also be essential for colonization.
So availability of water is the first hurdle in making the
long jump to a colonization of Mars. Water is also a good indicator
for the possible discovery of extraterrestrial life.
Quote:

We should be looking for sources of Pt, Pd, Au, Cu, Ni etc. so someday it will be profitable to mine these elements in space. All it will take for space exploration to explode is for it to be profitable. I think if we found a good chunk of Pt or Au it would most certainly be economically viable to invest in the technology needed for space-mining missions.

Minerals are defintely out there and especially certain asteroids might be interesting, but that would seem to be much further into the future than colonization. You seem to be thinking in terms of what can be gotten out there on another world and then brought back to earth....instead of thinking more correctly in terms of what might be the greater potential for usage right there on location in development of another world. The shipping cost would be pretty steep for things brought all the way back to earth from space.

MagicJigPipe - 22-6-2008 at 10:17

Exactly and that could be justified if there is profit. If the value of the minerals is so high that someone can actually MAKE money by going to get them. I realize it's expensive but perhaps with greater/cheaper technology...

IMO, the only way we are going to advance faster than a snail in space exploration is if there is money to be made. Remember, that was the motivating force for most acclomplishments on Earth for thousands of years. Nobody except for scientists would want to spend millions just to get information. But say you spent a billion dollars mining 500,000 tons of Pt and Au in space and you could sell it for 2 billion.

Now, if only we had the technology to push that much mass up to at least 1000 miles per hour or so without having to carry hundreds of tons of propellant...

Anyway, I suppose my basic point is that we need to make space profitable or else we'll keep moving along like we have been (IMO, it's been pretty slow compared to other technological advances since 1969 or so).

[Edited on 6-22-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

JohnWW - 23-6-2008 at 21:14

Besides the cost of overcoming the gravity of Mars to get minerals back to Earth, what about the royalties that the Martians would charge?

Twospoons - 23-6-2008 at 21:43

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe

Now, if only we had the technology to push that much mass up to at least 1000 miles per hour or so without having to carry hundreds of tons of propellant...

[Edited on 6-22-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Its called a rail-gun, and would probably work rather nicely on Mars, given the low gravity and thin atmosphere. Even better from the ateroid belt. Stopping the stuff at the other end could be tricky, unless someone is clever enough to figure out how to sling a ton of rock into Earth orbit .. from Mars :o

chemoleo - 24-6-2008 at 16:24

Not only that,the asteroids often are metallic, composed of Ni, Fe, and other metals. There should be a much higher concentration of precious metals there than in ores.

Speaking of which, Mars will not have the same quantity of minerals and ores, as earth does.
The reason is that geological processes (plate tectonics, water, erosion, oxygen catastropy (achieved by living organisms), and immense quantity of time where all these could act) never happened on the same scale on Mars. Check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore_genesis
You'll be therefore hard-pressed to find significant concentrations of ores or mineral that are economically feasible to refine.
Better stick to the asteroids!

MagicJigPipe - 24-6-2008 at 19:09

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was saying we could find lots of ore on Mars. I'm just saying we know that Earth isn't the only place with these elements. And certainly not the only place in the solar system.

I wonder what concentration of PGMs is average in asteroids along the belt? IMO, we would have to start with those because of their low weight to cost ratio.

Twospoons, that would need to be a MASSIVE rail gun! Not to mention the electricity that would need to be generated. I suppose after it was built and operational it would be much cheaper. But do we REALLY have the technology to undertake something like that? Or a better question, the money? Probably not, unless there was capital being invested. See, it all comes back to the buck!

Twospoons - 24-6-2008 at 19:17

Oh, I agree it would be massive, and expensive to build, but not beyond current technology. Once in place it could sit there for years using solar electrictiy to fire high value metal slugs back home. Mining space is never going to be cheap, but when there is no minable Pt, Ir, Ru etc left on Earth that asteroid belt is going to look mighty attractive.

Back when oil was 50 bucks a barrel, bioethanol was a laughable idea only being promoted by die-hard treehuggers. Now it doesn't seem quite so silly ...

[Edited on 25-6-2008 by Twospoons]

not_important - 24-6-2008 at 20:56

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe...

I wonder what concentration of PGMs is average in asteroids along the belt? IMO, we would have to start with those because of their low weight to cost ratio.

For C-Type asteroids, a part per million on down to a hundred parts per billion. See the table at

http://www.tricitiesnet.com/donsastronomy/asteroidtable.html

which is slightly different than the numbers I have, but not that different considering the limited sampling we've got.

I kind of like the concept of tossing tonne-sized chunks of dense metal in the direction of Earth with the assumption that there are no software bugs or hardware glitches. Hopefully salvage rights will be allowed to those living near the impact points, over claims by those who set up the mining operation.

Maya - 30-6-2008 at 16:39

<<
Its called a rail-gun, and would probably work rather nicely on Mars, given the low gravity and thin atmosphere. Even better from the ateroid belt. Stopping the stuff at the other end could be tricky, unless someone is clever enough to figure out how to sling a ton of rock into Earth orbit .. from Mars :o >>>

You're kidding me right?

You would wreck every single earth satellite doing that

Maya - 30-6-2008 at 16:41

<<< I was 3.5 miles from the pad when Apollo 11 took off, that was in the press area 1.5 miles inside the danger zone. The blasts pulsed like a heartbeat, and pushed me backwards from three and a half miles, like a hand planted in my chest. Unforgettable. I was 19 at the time >>>

Thats cool , I was about 10 miles away at the time and it was a huge thunderous blast! Yeah , I was only six tho.

MagicJigPipe - 30-6-2008 at 17:36

Quote:

You would wreck every single earth satellite doing that

How so? It is my belief that because of the vastness of space that even uncalculated projectiles would only hit a satellite very rarely.

Rocks fly into Earth's atmosphere all the time. When's the last time we lost a satellite to one?

Twospoons - 30-6-2008 at 17:40

You could even use the moon as a giant catchers mitt! Makes the long range shot a little less critical.

MagicJigPipe - 30-6-2008 at 20:49

Well, if we can launch an object to Mars and have it land within a few square miles of a target, I see no reason why we couldn't launch rocks to Earth and have them land in Death Valley, Siberia, or the Sahara Desert for example. Especially with the technology/knowledge we will have once the time comes.

Is this becoming too OT?

Maya - 1-7-2008 at 03:16

ummm,

do we really want another form of pollution?

http://www.space.com/news/ap_060120_space_junk.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/science/space/06orbi.html

Rosco Bodine - 1-11-2008 at 05:26

Phoenix may be end of mission :(

Extreme cold and lowered light levels on the
photo-voltaics have depleted the batteries
and the lander has stopped responding to
ground commands

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/10_29_pr.php

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/index.html

JohnWW - 1-11-2008 at 10:20

That is because winter is setting in, in the high northern latitude (well above the Martian Arctic Circle) on Mars where Phoenix landed. Assuming that it survives the winter, it will be almost a year before spring arrives, and there will again be enough light to run it.

Rosco Bodine - 9-3-2012 at 23:54

There is still one remaining still operating Mars rover Opportunity

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/status_opportunityAll.html...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZrbTRbyLM Opportunity: 5 years on Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5dEKWxnWQ Opportunity: 8 years on Mars

Mars rover Curiosity due to arrive August 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9BYSDtwRc Animation for earlier mission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4boyXQuUIw Animation for Curiosity mission different final powered descent soft landing scheme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLxmGLZQSY Curiosity landing scheme detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUzvGGqvZLA Curiosity launch November 26, 2011

stay tuned

[Edited on 10-3-2012 by Rosco Bodine]

neptunium - 10-3-2012 at 13:32

Stunning!!!!!!
i remember when the Vickings touch down and the first analysis responses we,ve got from them.
everybody was holding their breaths!

[Edited on 10-3-2012 by neptunium]

Rosco Bodine - 10-3-2012 at 18:36

Look Ma ......no solar panels :o :D :D What makes her go ?

Curiosity is a plutonium decay thermoelectric generator powered probe .....
and that should help to ward off those cold Martian winter chills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JOPW8aAcgE New Mars Rover Powered By Plutonium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_7d55vJko Clean Room Assembly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8p9YGovb_0 cumulative press release video

Rosco Bodine - 11-3-2012 at 12:45

A not well known detail about the Spirit and Opportunity spaceframes, is there's an interesting story about those particular choices of Mars rover parts bearing an american flag as a makers mark for an alloy having special origin

September 08, 2011 JPL Press Release

Tributes to Terrorism Victims Are on Mars

Interplanetary Memorial to Victims of Sept. 11, 2001
The piece of metal with the American flag on it in this image of a NASA rover on Mars is made of aluminum recovered from the site of the World Trade Center towers in the weeks after their destruction.
Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell University

In September 2001, Honeybee Robotics employees in lower Manhattan were building a pair of tools for grinding weathered rinds off rocks on Mars, so that scientific instruments on NASA's Mars Exploration Rovers Spirit and Opportunity could inspect the rocks' interiors.

That month's attack on the twin towers of the World Trade Center, less than a mile away, shook the lives of the employees and millions of others.

Work on the rock abrasion tools needed to meet a tight schedule to allow thorough testing before launch dates governed by the motions of the planets. The people building the tools could not spend much time helping at shelters or in other ways to cope with the life-changing tragedy of Sept. 11. However, they did find a special way to pay tribute to the thousands of victims who perished in the attack.

An aluminum cuff serving as a cable shield on each of the rock abrasion tools on Mars was made from aluminum recovered from the destroyed World Trade Center towers. The metal bears the image of an American flag and fills a renewed purpose as part of solar system exploration.

Honeybee Robotics collaborated with the New York mayor's office; a metal-working shop in Round Rock, Texas; NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.; and the rover missions' science leader, Steve Squyres, at Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.

"It's gratifying knowing that a piece of the World Trade Center is up there on Mars. That shield on Mars, to me, contrasts the destructive nature of the attackers with the ingenuity and hopeful attitude of Americans," said Stephen Gorevan, Honeybee founder and chairman, and a member of the Mars rover science team.

On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, Gorevan was six blocks from the World Trade Center, riding his bicycle to work, when he heard an airliner hit the first tower. "Mostly, what comes back to me even today is the sound of the engines before the first plane struck the tower. Just before crashing into the tower, I could hear the engines being revved up as if those behind the controls wanted to ensure the maximum destruction. I stopped and stared for a few minutes and realized I felt totally helpless, and I left the scene and went to my office nearby, where my colleagues told me a second plane had struck. We watched the rest of the sad events of that day from the roof of our facility."

At Honeybee's building on Elizabeth Street, as in the rest of the area, normal activities were put on hold for days, and the smell from the collapse of the towers persisted for weeks.

Steve Kondos, who was at the time a JPL engineer working closely with the Honeybee team, came up with the suggestion for including something on the rovers as an interplanetary memorial. JPL was building the rovers and managing the project.

To carry out the idea, an early hurdle was acquiring an appropriate piece of material from the World Trade Center site. Through Gorevan's contacts, a parcel was delivered to Honeybee Robotics from the mayor's office on Dec. 1, 2001, with a twisted plate of aluminum inside and a note: "Here is debris from Tower 1 and Tower 2."

Tom Myrick, an engineer at Honeybee, saw the possibility of machining the aluminum into the cable shields for the rock abrasion tools. He hand-delivered the material to the machine shop in Texas that was working on other components of the tools. When the shields were back in New York, he affixed an image of the American flag on each.

The Mars Exploration Rover Spirit was launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., on June 10, 2003. Opportunity's launch followed on July 7. Both rovers landed the following January and completed their three-month prime missions in April 2004. Nobody on the rover team or at Honeybee spoke publicly about the source of the aluminum on the cable shields until later that year.

"It was meant to be a quiet tribute," Gorevan told a New York Times reporter writing a November 2004 story about Manhattan's participation in the rover missions. "Enough time has passed. We want the families to know."

Since landing on the Red Planet, both rovers have made important discoveries about wet environments on ancient Mars that may have been favorable for supporting microbial life. Spirit ended communications in March 2010. Opportunity is still active, and researchers plan to use its rock abrasion tool on selected targets around a large crater that the rover reached last month.

One day, both rovers will be silent. In the cold, dry environments where they have worked on Mars, the onboard memorials to victims of the Sept. 11 attack could remain in good condition for millions of years.

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., a division of the California Institute of Technology, manages the Mars Exploration Rovers for NASA.

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20110908a.h...

[Edited on 11-3-2012 by Rosco Bodine]

phlogiston - 11-3-2012 at 15:04

Quote:
How so? It is my belief that because of the vastness of space that even uncalculated projectiles would only hit a satellite very rarely.

Rocks fly into Earth's atmosphere all the time. When's the last time we lost a satellite to one?

This is becoming a serious risk, actually. The problem is that one collision produces multiple fragments, each of which can collide with another object, and so on, eventually resulting in completely unusuable orbits. This is already becoming a problem with the current density of satelites and debris, and some believe a critical density for this problem has already been reached.

In 1996 the french Cerise satelite was lost due to a collision with debris. In 1993, a 1 cm hole was found in an antenna of the hubble space telescope. The space shuttle has been hit multiple times, at least once producing a pit in one of the windows.

The debris travels so fast, even small pieces are dangerous. Much like a bullet. This, for instance, is the radiator from the space shuttle after a flight:

MrHomeScientist - 19-3-2012 at 08:34

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
This is becoming a serious risk, actually. The problem is that one collision produces multiple fragments, each of which can collide with another object, and so on, eventually resulting in completely unusuable orbits. This is already becoming a problem with the current density of satelites and debris, and some believe a critical density for this problem has already been reached.

I was just reading about this the other day, actually. It's called the Kessler Syndrome, pretty interesting read.

Rosco Bodine - 17-5-2012 at 21:15

80 days to touchdown for Curiosity Mars mission

Curiosity is go for Mars landing

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Also of interest is the scheduled launch early morning Saturday May 19, 2012 of a SpaceX commercial spacecraft for an orbital flyby of the International Space Station to flight test maneuvering and docking capability.

http://www.spacex.com/

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/c3po/partners/spacex/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoX5XcqnfA Falcon 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1qwDxw9nk Falcon 9 flight 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3u0IIQj6FY

<iframe sandbox width="622" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H3u0IIQj6FY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 18-5-2012 by Rosco Bodine]

Rosco Bodine - 19-5-2012 at 00:19

Here is the HD video feed for the launch

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html

<iframe sandbox width="633" height="390" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/6540154" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>
<br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/everywhere" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Live video from your Android device on Ustream</a>

[Edited on 19-5-2012 by Rosco Bodine]

Rosco Bodine - 21-5-2012 at 23:26

A relaunch attempt is to occur in a few minutes

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html

[Edited on 22-5-2012 by Rosco Bodine]

Rosco Bodine - 3-6-2012 at 23:56

Entrepreneurs in Space: SpaceX Proves that Space Belongs to the Private Sector

<iframe sandbox width="624" height="351" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B5m7odnak8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rosco Bodine - 30-7-2012 at 17:15

6 days to Mars landing for Curiosity

Twospoons - 31-7-2012 at 14:30

Its such a bold plan, I really hope it all works out well.

froot - 1-8-2012 at 02:07

I'm not sure about the skycrane stage where the rover is lowered to the surface, the rover would have to be lowered below the skycrane's booster nozzles and even though they are angled away the exhaust gases could easily cause the rover to swing uncontrollably on it's tether.
According to Wiki the surface 'air' pressure on earth is over 150 times that on mars so the exhaust gas spread from the nozzles would be considerably broader raising my suspicions even more.

Rosco Bodine - 5-8-2012 at 14:01

Less than 8 hours to Mars landing by Curiosity Mars Rover

<iframe sandbox width="626" height="386" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/recorded/24496015" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>
<br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Video streaming by Ustream</a>

Twospoons - 5-8-2012 at 14:54

Its going to be at about 5:30 pm, New Zealand time - I will be watching!

Workmate just showed be a short vid by Neil deGrasse Tyson . It had some interesting remarks about NASA's budget. The one that got me was the fact that the recent bank bailout cost more than the entire 50 year running budget of NASA. Food for thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

[Edited on 5-8-2012 by Twospoons]

Rosco Bodine - 5-8-2012 at 21:41

Success :D

watson.fawkes - 6-8-2012 at 04:31

Great landings come from happy nerds.
Happy nerds come from California.

phlogiston - 6-8-2012 at 05:33

Quote:
budget. The one that got me was the fact that the recent bank bailout cost more than the entire 50 year running budget of NASA.

Similarly, for the money we are spending to save Greece from bankruptcy alone, we could have built the Large Hadron Collider 30 times over.

Oh, If you could only spend 10% of that lost money on exploring Jupiters moon Europa and it ocean.

I wish so badly we could spend all that money wasted through corruption, war, lazyness, stupidity on intriguing science.

Endimion17 - 6-8-2012 at 06:43

Isn't posting about Curiosity on Phoenix thread off topic? :D

neptunium - 6-8-2012 at 06:51

dont forget the olympics! its so important to blow money on entertaining the masses...live!
Sadly ,space explorations doesnt inspired too many people theses days im affraid.
just us geeks and weirdos..

Twospoons - 6-8-2012 at 15:46

Spending money on international sporting events is fine by me. Bailing out greedy and corrupt bankers is not.

Congrats to NASA on a successful landing. If this mission is even half as good as Spirit and Opportunity it will be money well spent. Those two little rovers - what marvellous engineering to have so far exceeded their design life.

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by Twospoons]

Magpie - 6-8-2012 at 16:35

This a great engineering achievement and will no doubt add to our understanding of Mars, our solar system, and cosmology in general. What bothers me is the media's obsession with trying to find out if there is, was, or ever could be life, or support for life, on Mars, or anywhere else for that matter. NASA also seems to pose that question as a major justification for space exploration. Why is the answer to that question so important?

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by Magpie]

Rogeryermaw - 6-8-2012 at 19:43

science fiction has people convinced we will be colonizing other planets within the next generation when the current generation seems completely uninterested in science.

Rosco Bodine - 6-8-2012 at 21:18

Here we have history repeating itself with another money shot by the Mars orbiter capturing an image of Curiosity hanging on its chute and the heat shield falling away below in the distance. Tell me those JPL boys aren't good :D

neptunium - 7-8-2012 at 07:33

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
This a great engineering achievement and will no doubt add to our understanding of Mars, our solar system, and cosmology in general. What bothers me is the media's obsession with trying to find out if there is, was, or ever could be life, or support for life, on Mars, or anywhere else for that matter. NASA also seems to pose that question as a major justification for space exploration. Why is the answer to that question so important?

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by Magpie]

finding life or traces of passed life would mean that life is not uncommon in the universe . if it could have appeared twice in one star system, then it must be everywhere in the cosmos, and is not a rare isolated event.

also it allows scientist to understand why life has dissapear (or not ?) on mars and was succesful here . its the biggest bio chemistry anyone could hope for!
It will tell us where to look for life and what to expect from its chemistry. DNA, compatibility etc..

no matter what the answer to our questions may be , other suprises and question will arise! thats what so fascinating about science!

Magpie - 7-8-2012 at 10:15

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  

finding life or traces of passed life would mean that life is not uncommon in the universe . if it could have appeared twice in one star system, then it must be everywhere in the cosmos, and is not a rare isolated event.

Agreed. But of what use is that information?

also it allows scientist to understand why life has dissapear (or not ?) on mars and was succesful here . its the biggest bio chemistry anyone could hope for!
It will tell us where to look for life and what to expect from its chemistry. DNA, compatibility etc..

Life exists in some very harsh environments on earth, eg, miles down undersea, in undersea volcano vents, and in arctic areas. But I presume that these life forms were adaptations that spread from more temperate places. Finding life in the harsh environment of Mars would indeed be a surprise to me.

no matter what the answer to our questions may be , other suprises and question will arise! thats what so fascinating about science!

I agree.

-----------------------------------
Long before we had moon landings we had meteorites and spectrographic information that indicated that the universe was composed of the same elements of the periodic table that we find on earth. Still many people were not entirely sure that the moon was not composed of green cheese until rock samples were brought back for analysis.

Also there was speculation that we could be invaded by creatures from Mars, or that there could be enemies hiding on the back side of the moon. I'm just rambling here....

watson.fawkes - 7-8-2012 at 18:15

Also there was speculation that we could be invaded by creatures from Mars, or that there could be enemies hiding on the back side of the moon.
Well, there's always Iron Sky.

AJKOER - 9-8-2012 at 09:44

Life exists in some very harsh environments on earth, eg, miles down undersea, in undersea volcano vents, and in arctic areas. But I presume that these life forms were adaptations that spread from more temperate places. Finding life in the harsh environment of Mars would indeed be a surprise to me.

I agree with the above comment but this discussion would be more interesting if we included some views for the Christian Right. My attempt at presenting their views:

"Well, there is no need for any scientific missions to Mars as per the Bible intelligent life, meaning man, was created in the image of God. So if there are Martians, there basically have to all look like us (but, I guess it would be OK if they all happened to looked like Mitt Romney). Also, the Bible is the highest authority or else why would the Texas school board (which sets the content of school textbooks in many states, what a standard) ban the theory of evolution as it contradicts the written word of God?"

[Edited on 9-8-2012 by AJKOER]

woelen - 9-8-2012 at 10:44

There is no need to derail this thread with a discussion steered towards the young earth creationist point of view. If certain schoolbooks ban the theory of evolution from biology or geology courses, then just replace these books by other books. I cannot believe that a country like the USA has not developed any alternative course material which has a more realistic view on these matters. So please let's not start that discussion again. It is clear that earth is old and that there has been an evolutionary process on earth and I think that most (if not all) people over here agree on this basic assumption. The written word of God is not a science book, it tells about the 'why' and not about the 'how' of creation.

The argument that mankind is created in the image of God and hence no other intelligent life can be found according to right wing christians is a fallacy. What is the 'image of God'? I am a christian, but I believe that the image of God is more diverse than one could ever imagine, so that leaves space for other life forms on distant planets who have had their own evolutionary development.

I very much like the idea of C.S. Lewis about intelligent life. This same idea also makes me somewhat sad about this, because it implies that the chance that we will ever find intelligent life is amazingly small, even if it has developed thousands of times in our galaxy.
Lewis' argument is that evolution is a process of hundreds of millions or even a few billions of years. The speed of evolution and the starting point of evolution need not be the same as we had on Earth. So, if there is any intelligent life, then this intelligent life will either be millions of years ahead of us, or it will still be millions of years before it will appear. Lewis states that two intelligences only can interact over huge distances if they are sufficiently close in their technological development (e.g. both need to use radio waves for communication, they need to have similar interests in their environment and so on). A place, which even just is 100 years behind of us cannot be detected by us. A place, which is millions years ahead of us will be so far that their technology cannot be detected by us. Given the huge time spans (a few billions of years) needed for evolution of the first life forms to something intelligent and the short time (a few thousands of years) which it takes to develop technology like we have from a starting point where people just develop self-conscience, what can be expect from a technological development over millions of years?

So, for the time being, I think it is an interesting quest to look for traces of life on places like Mars, Europa, Io. If any life is found or remains of life, that would be a giant discovery. it does not tell anything, however, about intelligence.

Rosco Bodine - 9-8-2012 at 13:05

There is a difference between the scientific theory of evolution and the philosophical theory of social Darwinism. Just because some people confuse science with philosophy and / or antithetical to religion does not mean that their confusion represents truth or the only truth worth knowing. One thing known is that religion of some sort is prehistoric in its origins and was essential in the foundation of civilization, Civilization did not come first and invent religion, religion was prerequisite to civilization and without it there would likely be no civilization because it was shared beliefs which established a code and morality that allowed social order and organization of society at the inception of civilization emerging from the stone age and transitioning from roaming bands of hunter gatherers into villages and larger settlements which engaged in farming and domestication of animals. It was not a secular enterprise which made possible civilization but it was some kind of primitive religion. Exactly what sort of primitive religion is unknown but it definitely existed because the relics prove that it did.

neptunium - 10-8-2012 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  

Lewis' argument is that evolution is a process of hundreds of millions or even a few billions of years. The speed of evolution and the starting point of evolution need not be the same as we had on Earth. So, if there is any intelligent life, then this intelligent life will either be millions of years ahead of us, or it will still be millions of years before it will appear. Lewis states that two intelligences only can interact over huge distances if they are sufficiently close in their technological development (e.g. both need to use radio waves for communication, they need to have similar interests in their environment and so on). A place, which even just is 100 years behind of us cannot be detected by us. A place, which is millions years ahead of us will be so far that their technology cannot be detected by us. Given the huge time spans (a few billions of years) needed for evolution of the first life forms to something intelligent and the short time (a few thousands of years) which it takes to develop technology like we have from a starting point where people just develop self-conscience, what can be expect from a technological development over millions of years?

ithat point of view was raised during a lunch break in the Manathan project near the end of WW2 by Enrico Fermi in his now famous paradox.

I very much agree with this logical approach

Morgan - 20-11-2012 at 06:55

Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now
http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513016/big-news-from-mars-r...

SM2 - 20-11-2012 at 07:48

Roscoe, I see your point, but then it just disappears. But it was close to being %100 authentic. De-bunkers usually aren't after the truth, rather, they find a creative perspective, and just hammer it to death.

Rosco Bodine - 22-11-2012 at 02:30

Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  
Roscoe, I see your point, but then it just disappears. But it was close to being %100 authentic. De-bunkers usually aren't after the truth, rather, they find a creative perspective, and just hammer it to death.

What point disappears ? Let me know and I'll try to fix that so it is sticky. Yeah I think you are right about radicals just wanting to manufacture bogus wedge issues to hammer, because they have a real feeling of exclusion for lack of something they can't identify and they probably resent it. So there follows a misdirection of blame towards others for causing an absence of the faith they deny themselves. It is classic displacement reaction blaming others for their not having what they are the only one can give themselves. It is a matter of the longing heart that got retasked to the head and isn't going anywhere because of the mind being the wrong tool for the job. There are "subjective truths" and things that are certainly observably and provably absolutely real as existing but at the same time are things which could never be "quantified" scientifically or mathematically. It requires some depth to grasp that. Science is like the curious child always asking why, and sometimes the only answer is that it simply is, and at some point the premise of the question why has been exceeeded by the scope of the reality being questioned, examined, or attempted to be measured, quantified, or explained. At that point the child must simply smile with wonder and say Oh! okay. :D

Hmmm ....wonder what kind of interesting find the Mars probe has made ...this should be interesting.