Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Gigantic Test Tubes

chemkid - 26-5-2008 at 15:40

I found these at a yard sale for a dollar...two gigantic Pyrex test tubes attached to two shuttles for a spinning loom (irrelevant). But they are huge. They were part of a wall hanging and intended as vases i guess. 9 and 3/4 inch high, one inch in diameter. I guess there boiling tubes? A lot bigger than any test tube i have ever seen before. Any ideas for uses (creative ones included)?

Chemkid

Blind Angel - 26-5-2008 at 15:58

Probably Kjeldahl Distillation tube, we have plenty of these in the lab, some have a little bulb at the top to prevent bumping.

bio2 - 26-5-2008 at 20:13

Combustion tubes with thick walls perhaps. A version of those have a constriction at the top for flame sealing.

kalacrow - 26-5-2008 at 23:57

Columns for making acids and such. The thinner and taller, the better for dissolving gases into a solution.

Saerynide - 27-5-2008 at 02:35

I have a few of those too. I used them to capture Cl2 in electrolysis. I also used one to replace the broken glass tube on my fish tank heater :D

Sauron - 27-5-2008 at 08:20

Those are not what I would call huge.

I have a couple hydrometer tubes that are that diameter and about twice that long. Custom made and held in a ringstand.

And at present am having an immersion well built, this is essentially a 34mm x 31mm ID x 450mm long test tube inside of a 48mm x 45mm x 470mm test tube, with the tubes fused together at top and inlet and outlet tubes for cooling water fitted at top. This is for suspending a medium pressure Hg vapor arc UV lamp in and fixing inside a photochemical reaction vessel with a #50 ace-thred joint and a nylon or PTFE bushing and O-ring seal. Either the inner or outer tube have your beat by a long way in terms of both OD and length.

I think perusal of the catalogs of the usual suspects will reveal that 1" x 10" pyrex test tubes with or without lip are stock items.