Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Potassium Chlorate From Bleach

hector2000 - 16-6-2008 at 09:04

i have instruction for making potassium chrorate from bleach but there is problem:according to instruction we can use stainless steel but i dont think this is true.i used stainless steel 316 but ca(clo2) and Naclo destroyed it.

instruction:
http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/chloratetherm.html

anybody has idea?

solo - 16-6-2008 at 09:34

frogfot.....is a member of this forum why don't you PM him and ask him..............solo

hector2000 - 16-6-2008 at 10:50

Quote:
Originally posted by solo
frogfot.....is a member of this forum why don't you PM him and ask him..............solo

because exactly this instruction is for :
http://huizen.dds.nl/~wfvisser/EN/chlorate_EN.html

pdb - 16-6-2008 at 11:13

Should you really spoil this forum with such a topic which 1) has already been discussed at length on this forum or in E&W and 2) could find a better place in "General chemistry" or "Reagents acquisition" ?

As far as I know, chlorates and the like have broader uses than in the only world of energetic materials...

chemoleo - 16-6-2008 at 15:01

In this case I'd suggest to use a Teflon-coated pan... what's stopping you?
SS isn't the only option available!

Apart from that, somehow I thought that (but I may be wrong) Ca hypochlorite doesn't disproportionate to C chlorate as readily as NaOCl, but instead, it decomposes?

Also, is your container clean? Certain transition metals may decompose the NaOCl before it can ever disproportionate...

DerAlte - 16-6-2008 at 21:25

Use glass, Hector! And I agree with Chemleo: AFAIK NaClO will produce a higher yield of chlorate than Ca(ClO)2. The last produces oxygen on heating.

Der Alte

S.C. Wack - 17-6-2008 at 02:14

I never saw gas bubbles on heating calcium hypochlorite solution to boiling. I certainly smelled chlorine though. It is A Bad Idea. A temperature below 40C and patience will minimize the chlorine loss. I might try this again sometime, in an enamelled stock pot, using K2CO3 or K2SO4 instead of KCl as K source, to see if precipitation of the Ca (before heating or not) will give a better isolated yield of KClO3.

[Edited on 17-6-2008 by S.C. Wack]