Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Triethanolamine

bfesser - 27-6-2008 at 14:30

I've been thinking about purchasing 1 L of triethanolamine online for use as a solvent to prepare Eriochrome Black T and Calmagite indicator solutions for water hardness titrations. However, I've noticed that it's listed as a Schedule 3 under Chemical Weapons. Would it be a bad idea to purchase this solvent in this quantity? Thanks for any advice offered.

MagicJigPipe - 27-6-2008 at 15:59

I wouldn't worry about it. It's used extensively in consumer products.

But then again so are a lot of other things. Just don't buy it in bulk. What do you need a lot of it for?

Apparently it can be used in the production of nitrogen mustards. Not so bad ;)

evil_lurker - 27-6-2008 at 16:51

Honestly I think that triethanolamine is very low on the gov't priority schedules... why they even put it on the CW list is beyond me... its kinda like toluene... everyone knows you can use it in meth production, but by itself its pretty benign... besides, how many people can you name that have the capability to handle nitrogen mustards?

None that I know of. Those that do, I'm sure they can source it from somewhere.

bfesser - 27-6-2008 at 18:01

I'd rather buy it in smaller quantities, as I only need a little to prepare the indicator, but 1 L is all I've been able to find.

Sauron - 27-6-2008 at 18:10

We have seen some folks confuse triethanolamine with triethylamine.

Triethylamine is not a CWC Scheduled compound.

bfesser - 27-6-2008 at 20:11

I need trieth<strong>anol</strong>amine, as solutions of Eriochrome Black T are supposed to be much more stable with this solvent as opposed to methanol which is only stable for a few days or weeks.

pantone159 - 27-6-2008 at 20:58

My guess is that this is way below anyones radar, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Sauron - 27-6-2008 at 21:09

Depends on where you are.

Polverone - 27-6-2008 at 23:18

In the US you are fine. I have bought it myself. As others have mentioned it is widely used in cosmetic preparations, so it is sold by more (and more varied) suppliers than comparable chemicals.

bfesser - 28-6-2008 at 08:26

Has anyone here purchased any triethanolamine from Chemsavers before?

azo - 29-6-2008 at 00:45

YOU WILL HAVE NO TROUBLE GETTING IT AS IT IS WIDELY USED IN LAUNDRY POWDERS AS IT REACTS WITH VARIOUS SULPHONIC ACIDS TO MAKE ALKYL BENZENE SULPONATES WHICH IS THE ANIONIC DETERGENT USED.
YOU CAN DO THIS WITH OTHER BASES BUT TRIETHANOLAMINE IS THE CHEAPEST WAY.

REGARDS AZO