Sciencemadness Discussion Board

NIH household products database

Polverone - 11-11-2003 at 22:40

I discovered an interesting chemical database today. http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov tracks ingredients in a large number of household products. For some products they have percentage listings of the substance you're looking for. It's far from complete, but you can find some interesting surprises by plugging different chemical names in.

madscientist - 11-11-2003 at 23:16

Wow. You scored the jackpot. :D

Phosphorus

Hermes_Trismegistus - 9-12-2003 at 23:02

very peculiar, but there was one common chemical that wasn't listed in a product few people are ever far from.

The white coating in fluorescent lighting (according to the T.V. show "howitismade" is phosphorus.

Hmm!

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by Hermes_Trismegistus]

Polverone - 10-12-2003 at 01:09

No, can't be. The coating is white and powdery and doesn't react in air. It's a phosphor, not phosphorus.

The only household items I know of that contain some elemental phosphorus are road flare strikers, match strikers, and caps for toy guns. Small-scale meth "cooks" often get their red phosphorus from match strikers. I suspect that this may be inspiring match makers to produce lower-phosphorus-content match strikers, as the most recent matches I've bought (same kind as I usually get) came with pathetic strikers that can barely ignite the matches. Either that or the manufacturer tried to shave another 2 cents off the cost. Either way, it's annoying and I hope to find superior replacement matches when next I shop for them.

If you cut a match striker from a book of matches and burn it on a cold metal surface, a little bit of white phosphorus is released by the heat and condenses. Wipe the sticky residue on your fingers and they will smoke in the light and glow in the dark, especially when you rub your fingers together. White phosphorus is quite poisonous so I don't suggest licking your fingers afterward.

The_Davster - 10-1-2004 at 19:52

I was searching through the database and this product is listed to be 100% acetone yet under the health effects section it says it will expose you to benzene which will cause cancer. How is there benzene in 100% acetone? or is it just a typo? and later in the document under carcenogenicity it says none: WTF is going on here

[Edited on 11-1-2004 by rogue chemist]

Mumbles - 10-1-2004 at 23:33

I have some of that acetone, and that always perplexed me. I came to the conclusion that maybe there is some benzene impurity in the raw product they make/get. It doesn't have that benzene smell to it. Perhaps its possible for Benzene to form from acetone. I know you can make Trimethyl Benzene from it at least, so there might be a way to get benzene.

2 possibilities

Organikum - 11-1-2004 at 06:41

1. This product did contain benzene in the old days this wasnt banned from public use and they plain forgot to change the MSDS (note: "extra strength" blabla)
This gets a solid 98% probability from me.

2. It should read "acetone" instead of "benzene" following the rules of some obscure county in south california where EVERYTHING is rated as cancerous what has not prooven to be not over at least 2000 years.
This gets 1%.

The 1% left is statistical unimportant - it does not exist, like the risk in nuclear power plants.

There cannot be benzene in this paintthinner as this is forbidden by law in consumer products. Gasoline is an exception - this mixture is so highly dangerous it would be banned within seconds - if there wasnt a small lobby behind this automobilic mental disease....

The_Davster - 11-1-2004 at 10:39

Alright, thanks, now I dont have to worry about there being Benzene in my acetone.

U.S. Military and Goverment Specifications (Incomplete)

Hermes_Trismegistus - 11-1-2004 at 19:10

http://www.hummelcroton.com/mil.html

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by Hermes_Trismegistus]

Acetone

chloric1 - 11-1-2004 at 19:38

I was browsing my copy of Vogel and The bisulfite soln method is a very nice method to purify methyl ketones. I suggest you do this to eliminate any doubt. You can buy sodium bisulfite from the www.chemistrystore.com store in decent quantities or use iron out.

[Edited on 1/12/2004 by chloric1]

[Edited on 1/12/2004 by chloric1]