Sciencemadness Discussion Board

CRT Phosphor

atomicproject - 10-8-2008 at 09:45

I am currently working on a homebuilt CRT project. The target screen uses phosphor from a used fluorescent tube. That being the case, the glow is white. Is it feasible to add a very small amount of copper sulfate to the phosphor to make it glow blue? If not what would be good?

Here is a quick youtube link. The CRT is made from a 250 ml vacuum filtration flask and a test tube for the electron gun. The noise in the background noise is from the vacuum pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOjiZR7R6U

Mark

Twospoons - 10-8-2008 at 16:58

The short answer is 'no'. If you read the wikipedia entry for fluorescent lights you will see why.
The best you could do would be to put a blue filter in front of the crt.
Well done, building a working crt!

12AX7 - 10-8-2008 at 17:42

Do you know what pressure that was at? It looks as if you're generating electrons (or positive ions if you're running it backwards!) from a glow discharge.

Blue, huh? Trying for that Tektronix look? ;)

Tim

DJF90 - 11-8-2008 at 03:33

Yea I always thought electrons in a CRT were generated by thermionic emission? So what gives the blue glow :o?

watson.fawkes - 17-8-2008 at 09:57

ZnS activated with Ag is the basis for most old blue phosphors. My reference is Handbook of Electron Tube and Vacuum Techniques, by Fred Rosebury. Potassium silicate is the binder. A small amount of barium acetate aids gelation. A full recipe is in the same volume.

DJF90 - 17-8-2008 at 13:22

I was talking about the electron gun, not the phosphor screen?

watson.fawkes - 17-8-2008 at 14:47

Electrons are electrons. Variations in color come from the chemical composition of the phosphor.