Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A Chat Room for Sciencemadness?

kclo4 - 9-9-2008 at 21:17

All right, I'm certain this isn't a novel idea, but I just thought I would bring it up since I have been thinking about how much I personally would enjoy it.

I really enjoy talking to people about chemistry in a more relaxed way, that is if something pops into my mind, or the fellow chemist's mind,I like to have it shared regaurdless how off topic at the moment it may be. or they they just read about a reaction they found interesting I like to just be able to blurt it out, and have the topics go around to different things. I imagine you guys often feel the same?

How sciencemadness works now is obliviously great, but I think a chat room, or something similar to how facebook's Instant messaging system is setup would be very cool.

Pro: It would allow people to ask simple questions, and prevent poor topics from appearing. Also it would increase

Con: Some topics of great value might be lost because it was discussed via IM instead of on the board.

Anyways, I just think it would be a good idea, or if someone knows a chemistry chat room that SMDB members hang out I'd like to see it :D

If you aren't at all interested in that, could you at least add me to your AIM, or Windows Live messenger?

I often add random people from forums, and I have made some amazing friends that way. I'd like to make more friends like that.

Comments?

[Edited on 9-9-2008 by kclo4]

Eliteforum - 10-9-2008 at 04:18

It's been asked before (IRC chatroom) and hardly anyone used it.

kclo4 - 10-9-2008 at 16:42

Oh really?
Dang, well maybe not many people knew about it?
Because I didn't, and I have been on this forum for a long time, not always active, but always reading it.

Oh well, I thought it was worth suggesting anyways :P

bfesser - 10-9-2008 at 18:50

If there's an IRC channel, I'd be interested in using it. There are always many chemistry related things that I'm interested in discussing with others, but I don't feel are worthy of being posted on this forum. Unfortunately, I've been unable to search for any posts relating to it due to the many people who are too lazy to type out the phrase "if I recall correctly".

[Edited on 9/10/08 by bfesser]

Panache - 11-9-2008 at 21:09

Quote:
Originally posted by bfesser
Unfortunately, I've been unable to search for any posts relating to it due to the many people who are too lazy to type out the phrase "if I recall correctly".

[Edited on 9/10/08 by bfesser]

YES! now i know what that stupid acronym stands for, given i could have 'googled' it but swim was using the computer at the time

kclo4 - 11-9-2008 at 21:20

IIRC just so happens to be one of my favorite acronyms :P

If we did get a chat room, it would be good IMO to have all the conversations automatically saved so everyone can read about them later on. Seems like one could learn a lot from just "listening" to the other people talk.

bfesser - 11-9-2008 at 21:37

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this forum had a filter to remove "IIRC", "IMO", "IMHO", "SWIM", etc.? Or at least to replace them with the full phrases. [hint hint]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 1-11-2013 at 08:38

Wow this chat room thing so need to exist again !!!

i believe many people might want to ask for other's opinion on something, or ask a short question. chatroom will also bring more activity !

deltaH - 1-11-2013 at 08:54

You guys gonna hate me for saying it, but maybe it's best we DON'T have a chat room. Look at all the trivial flamming that goes down and that's where there's even more reason not to do it. Can you imagine the personal attacks that will fly when people can casually and rapidly drop random comments in real time without pause for consequence.

It might be all fun and games until tensions spark and judging by what I've seen already, tensions are going to spark faster than lightsaber dueling over a sea of ether.

I've always said that the anonymity of users if half the problem... now I add, ease of saying things is the other half and we shouldn't touch that pandora's box.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by deltaH]

Pyro - 1-11-2013 at 08:56

A chat room in SM would be great. just like a forum section one clicks on to chat, ad their forum names are automatically their chatroom names too.

Praxichys - 1-11-2013 at 09:04

Anonymity be damned! I have nothing to hide. I think it would be fun to get a big multi-person Skype call going. I'd love to video-share some of my lab stuff too. Something like that could be a start, and it doesn't necessarily have to be connected with the forums. Anyone interested?

solo - 1-11-2013 at 09:09

.....there is the issue of anonymity, more so this days with all the NSA prowling and violation of our privacy, ....there would be a resistance to chat freely on any subject, knowing we just open the door to more intrusions .....my take on the subject.....solo

deltaH - 1-11-2013 at 09:10

Oh come on solo, do you really think that if the NSA was interested in you or whoever on here, that they couldn't find out what they needed to know?

Really?

You must still be harbouring the illusion that there really is such a thing as anonymity from government agencies, I think if you use electronic devices and they're interested in you, you're f@#ked.

Lambda-Eyde - 1-11-2013 at 09:40

For those who have been living under a rock the last ten months, I've already made an IRC channel: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=25147 We are 8-9 regulars with varying amounts of activity. Of course this can be alleviated by getting more people to join us ;)

Praxichys - 1-11-2013 at 10:44

I get a "Sorry, you are not permitted to view this forum" error.

Pyro - 1-11-2013 at 10:51

you need to request access to whimsy from Polverone

Praxichys - 1-11-2013 at 11:25

I'm not sure I need to read anything in there. Someone should U2U me the IRC channel credentials.

bfesser - 1-11-2013 at 11:26

Praxichys, while you're at it (assuming you haven't already; I don't keep track of this sort of thing), request access to References. You'll need it, if you're to continue your work on the EM Topical Compendium.

It would be nice if we had a better way to grant access to the private fora. Something which wouldn't necessitate bothering Polverone. Like getting referrals from a certain number of already approved members. Another dream, I suppose...

Lambda-Eyde - 1-11-2013 at 16:08

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
I'm not sure I need to read anything in there. Someone should U2U me the IRC channel credentials.

All you need (if you know how to use IRC) is in my signature. #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org

If you drop by, don't leave after 3 minutes without anyone answering. I'm online 24/7 along with a few others, but we don't read all the time. Allow some time for an answer or some discussion to pop up. That's the nature of IRC, I guess.

bfesser - 1-11-2013 at 21:51

I drop in occasionally to throw some benzene on the flames and make an ass of myself, much as I do here.

elementcollector1 - 1-11-2013 at 22:34

Just dropped by today - it was pretty fun!

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 2-11-2013 at 09:36

Anonymity be damned! I have nothing to hide. I think it would be fun to get a big multi-person Skype call going. I'd love to video-share some of my lab stuff too. Something like that could be a start, and it doesn't necessarily have to be connected with the forums. Anyone interested?

wow !! this is an amazing idea !

we can watch you do your experiments while we all learn and see together.

You can also have live warnings while doing so, if any thing goes wrong with your reaction, we can also learn from it!

This idea is increadible!

plante1999 - 2-11-2013 at 09:56

Agreed.

If someone want to do a skype group or something like that, we would need to exchange our username tough. If people are interested they can contact me via my website.

[Edited on 2-11-2013 by plante1999]

elementcollector1 - 2-11-2013 at 13:16

I am definitely into this idea. I hope you guys enjoy hopelessly messy labs!
What if we set up a weekly thing that someone could sign up for and do an experiment on that day? The experimenter would get live feedback, and the viewers would get live demonstration.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 2-11-2013 at 13:49

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
I am definitely into this idea. I hope you guys enjoy hopelessly messy labs!
What if we set up a weekly thing that someone could sign up for and do an experiment on that day? The experimenter would get live feedback, and the viewers would get live demonstration.

Yes, say if someone is doing an experiment that so many other people wants to see or interested in, however maybe do not have the reagents, could enjoy together by watching.

I would be glad/ love to see some one synthesizing some powerful or new energetic materials on skype !

bismuthate - 2-11-2013 at 14:37

I love the skype idea (thought about it myself)! I would love watch experiments. Or do a few myself.

plante1999 - 2-11-2013 at 15:14

I'm up for the idea, everyone interested can contact me to get my skype username, then I will try to build the group.

Fantasma4500 - 3-11-2013 at 05:52

i think its a good idea, flaming will always be here, just face it.. we are on the internet goddamnit (:
as one of my favorite lines suggests 'the villain or the bullet' you are supposed to look at the person and not the weapon of choice (flaming)

anyways, skype might be an idea..

another thing... the NSA is not an illusion, its a reality which has been spilled all over public media several times, most people are tracked nowadays, you would be surprised to read the trigger words for the bots to start picking up data.. im 99.99999999% surely on the list of people they find interesting.. lols

not sure how you guys will inform on the whole skype thing, send me a U2U if it becomes reality some day.. (:

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 18-11-2013 at 05:05

Alright my account is dubaiamateurrocketry for skype

FlashDelirium - 22-11-2013 at 15:48

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
Oh come on solo, do you really think that if the NSA was interested in you or whoever on here, that they couldn't find out what they needed to know?

Really?

You must still be harbouring the illusion that there really is such a thing as anonymity from government agencies, I think if you use electronic devices and they're interested in you, you're f@#ked.

Even if we assume that pure anonymity is impossible, we can still increase the technical difficulty of uncovering our true identities.

Applying tips from sources like prism-break.org can truly help.

FlashDelirium - 22-11-2013 at 17:11

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
I love the skype idea (thought about it myself)! I would love watch experiments.

I second that.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 23-11-2013 at 05:35

I will be doing skype live cam for my lab once I go to my new lab. I will be synthesizing a lot of energetic compounds.

Around this time next year.

chat room for scimad

neptunium - 1-2-2014 at 15:20

wouldnt it be great to have a live chatroom for online
members to talk live about science chemistry physics and whatever scientific?

Zyklon-A - 1-2-2014 at 15:32

Sounds like a good idea to me.

neptunium - 1-2-2014 at 15:38

well lets get a mod tolook at it...
how about it ?

bfesser - 1-2-2014 at 15:55

<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=25147">IRC Channel</a></strong>

[edit] <em>There are reasons why we ask members to search before opening new topics...</em>

[Edited on 2.2.14 by bfesser]

neptunium - 1-2-2014 at 15:59

sure thanks Bfesser...

how about that ?

Sorry, you are not permitted to view this forum

what am i not doing right ? do i need to see with IRc?

[Edited on 2-2-2014 by neptunium]

bfesser - 1-2-2014 at 16:01

U2U Polverone and request access to Whimsy.
Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
All you need (if you know how to use IRC) is in my signature. #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org

[Edited on 2.2.14 by bfesser]

neptunium - 1-2-2014 at 16:02

whimsy huh? ... alright

Fluorite - 8-1-2021 at 07:20

Please guys I know I'm too late but can someone add me? I'd really appreciate it

Fluorite - 8-1-2021 at 07:30

YAS! Maybe a telegram group chat or something? Pleeeease video calls are so useful
Anyone watched sense 8? When they used Skype?
Today with thr new age of social media, everyone has a platform to share and express their ideas! Mostly gamers and youtubers

Johnny Cappone - 8-1-2021 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by Fluorite  

YAS! Maybe a telegram group chat or something? Pleeeease video calls are so useful
Anyone watched sense 8? When they used Skype?
Today with thr new age of social media, everyone has a platform to share and express their ideas! Mostly gamers and youtubers

I think a group on Telegram would be a great idea! The forum is great for longer and more elaborate considerations, but a chat could be a lot of fun and an excellent tool for exchanging quick information about the procedures that each of us has been performing in our amateur labs.

Johnny Cappone - 8-1-2021 at 13:27

Fluorite got in touch with me through U2U and we decided to create a chat on Telegram. The platform has a good approach to privacy and all the tools that a chat needs. For now it's just us, but anyone is welcome! You can access the chat through this link: https://t.me/joinchat/GnjpIx2r6hexJzpk