Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Endothermic Combustions

PrimoPyro - 23-11-2003 at 20:30

Does anyone know of any reagents that combust with oxygen endothermically, and result in low-mass gaseous molecules?

vulture - 24-11-2003 at 07:59

Combustion is usually exothermic, so I think it doesn't really need to be a classical combustion?

Only thing I can think of right now is NOx, since their formation from O2 and N2 is highly endothermic.

BromicAcid - 24-11-2003 at 18:11

Not really endothermic but somewhat less exothermic then most combustions, back in the day they used to use a 50/50 mixture of carbon disulfide with carbon tetrachloride for a cool flame prop to set people on fire (yeah sure... that sounds safe) I'm assuming the cooling was from the volitization of the CCl4 but the combustion of CCl4 to phosgene is quite endothermic. However, I'm assuming from the question that you want some sort of self sustained endothermic combustion.

Not Necessarily Self Sustaining

PrimoPyro - 25-11-2003 at 02:56

Thanks for your input, vulture and BromicAcid.

No, actually it does not need to be self sustaining at all. Basically what is needed is a sort of chemical reaction that acts as a heat sink, removing heat from it's chemical environment, while forming gaseous products of preferably low molecular mass.

Solid particles are undesirable, and sadly so is NOx because water is part of the reaction products in the environment as well, and HNO3 will cause corrosion of the system.