Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Azides of Amines and other Organic Bases

chemoleo - 27-11-2003 at 14:53

Just had this thought, has anyone heard about azides of amides, such as NH3, N2H4, CH3NH2 etc before, or even better, of nitro amides such as [O2N-CH2-NH3] [N3] etc etc? Also, is anyone aware of the existence of azide anhydrides? I imagine the latter are rather hard to prepare, and probably so unstable you couldn't even produce them...

Obviously there is a vast number of variations, so I wondered whether there are any interesting ones????
I am not speaking of azides linked to N or C directly, but rather of salts of organic bases, to be clear on that.

PS sorry if there is a partial overlap with other threads :)

Edit: I realise HN3 is a weak acid, so they might be difficult to prepare as amino salts...

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by chemoleo]

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by chemoleo]

hydroxylammonium azide gotta be intriguing

KABOOOM(pyrojustforfun) - 30-11-2003 at 20:51

NH<sub>3</sub>OHN<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> 2N<sub>2</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O + H<sub>2</sub>

unionised - 1-12-2003 at 16:00

Hydroxylamine is a poor base an hydrazoic acid is a lousy acid so the salt can't be formed.
Hydroxylammonium nirate might be interesting (I have a feeling the nitrite is too unstable to prepare.)

chemoleo - 5-12-2003 at 15:08

sure, but many amines have a fairly strong basicity. There is potential on this!
By the way, although they are not organic, how about NH2NH3N3? hydrazine is a strong base. or even ammonium azide, does that exist ?

Hexamine Azide

wolfman - 3-3-2010 at 14:13

Hi, sorry to bring up an old post, but the subject reminded me of a reference to Hexamine Azide. Does this sound familiar to anyone? A search here yeilded nothing, and PATR 2700 in the "H" section doesn't list it, only hexamine styphnate. I will continue to look for information on it.

-=HeX=- - 5-3-2010 at 16:45

Hydrazine Azide, N2H4*HN3 can be prepared by refluxing Hydeazine Sulphate and Sodium Azide in n-Butanol...

Its damn hydroscopic though.