Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Whatever happened to Doug's Lab..?

spinjector - 15-1-2019 at 18:12

Does anyone know whatever happened to Doug's Lab..? He was ripping it up a year ago with a new video every week or so, but then everything stopped, the last being the video for dimethyl oxalate. His channel is still there, though. I hope he didn't blow up that rural Michigan house he occasionally mentioned.

fusso - 15-1-2019 at 18:45

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=72...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=65...

Abromination - 15-1-2019 at 22:04

Search the forum, mate. He is fine, just busy as of late. I think I saw him logged on a while back.

Geocachmaster - 16-1-2019 at 13:04

Doug hasn't logged onto Sciencemadness since he disappeared. He hasn't been active on any social media that I can find. His last contact was on twitter after the dimethyl oxalate video. He said that some rendering errors meant the new video would be up a day late. No new video and no Doug since then, February 12th, 2018.

andy1988 - 16-1-2019 at 16:08

Thanks for mentioning him. His video on nitric acid is nice, I'm considering doing it.

I think someone mentioned he works for an airbag company. Looks like in that timeframe (2018) there's been a lot of turmoil/mergers/layoffs/lawsuits in that now Chinese owned company? Perhaps a worrying trend of Chinese investors buying out German companies, obtaining their IP, then laying everybody off... cheaper to make it in China and ship to global consumers no? No pesky wrongful death lawsuits or hazard pay either. My brother worked for an airbag company, was paid hazard pay, and said company also had someone die last year in the mixing section from an explosion.

Maybe overly speculative, but I thought I'd write my thoughts.

[Edited on 17-1-2019 by andy1988]

spinjector - 16-1-2019 at 23:31

Yes, I do recall Doug mentioned once in one of his videos that he worked with explosives? Or something to that effect. But clearly he has some sort of chemical profession. I do hope he didn't succumb to some sort of accident.

phlogiston - 17-1-2019 at 03:23

Texium mentioned as recently as last november that he knew that Doug was OK, just busy.
Having young kids and a busy job is like that. It gets better when they grow up a little. Would not be surprised if it takes a few more years before he regains the luxury of having time to spend on hobbies.

Amos - 17-1-2019 at 07:08

he still has time to play minecraft every now and again ;)

arkoma - 17-1-2019 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
he still has time to play minecraft every now and again ;)

:D

spinjector - 20-1-2019 at 06:04

Someone should create a version of Minecraft with atoms & molecules instead of blocks. =-)

Mr. Rogers - 21-1-2019 at 13:41

I hope he's OK.

The jersey rebel - 4-2-2019 at 20:59

same. i've heard that same thing about someone talking with him or seeing profiles under his name in november of last year. so it's possible he's alive, but admittedly if that's the case, he's probably got some explaining to do, given how he stopped without any notice, despite the amount of concern his first disappearance caused