Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Am I missing something here ?

devongrrl - 10-12-2009 at 14:15

Ok I am now officially very confused. :o

By way of information I used to work shipping chemicals/fuels/gases around the globe for the military.

I was at that time fully conversant with ADR rules as well as dangerous air cargo and sea cargo rules too.

Having explained that , here is why I am confused.

I recently went to my usual supplier of acids & alkalis on the web and went to purchase some distilled water.

The page said "We cannot ship this item by road transport due to ADR rules." :o

Now, I know rules can change and things get re-classified etc but how come my supplier will cheerfully send me acids and bases by courier but distilled water is a no-no ?

Am I missing something here ?

If so I would dearly love to be corrected with an explanation.

Unless some one stands up and says that this is indeed correct I am likely to believe that the company ticked the wrong box for that item in their e-commerce system.

Has anyone come across this before ?

hissingnoise - 10-12-2009 at 15:13

It's chemophobia rampant, devongrl. . .

http://thesciencenetwork.org/programs/the-science-reader/uns...

psychokinetic - 11-12-2009 at 13:45

Yep. Welcome to the madhouse.

devongrrl - 12-12-2009 at 01:00

I got a reply from the company, it was as I thought just a case of a wrong field on that item's entry on their database.

Phew ! A minor reprieve.

I'd hate to get taken to court for procuring transport of dihydrogen monoxide - a dangerous substance, by road. :P

After all it has killed people and tests reveal in it our water and sewerage systems at an alarming level.

It is even present now in the human body, OMG.

*LOL*

Contrabasso - 12-12-2009 at 07:46

Half the chemophobic general public will cite an obscure reg as bovine excrement just to confuse you.

hissingnoise - 12-12-2009 at 09:38

Yes, that is confusing. . . ?

kilowatt - 13-12-2009 at 20:22

Dude, people, it ended up being a simple mistake. I think some of you are ignoring the other posts and just using this as a chance to ramble about regulations. There are definitely a lot of ludicrous rules and regulations, but fortunately this is not one of them!

[Edited on 14-12-2009 by kilowatt]