Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Allihn condenser -- need some parts

Rich_Insane - 15-3-2010 at 14:42

Hey everyone!

About a year ago, I was in India, and decided to get some glassware. Glassware there is cheap, but still good grade. So I bought essentially 70% of the glassware I have now from India and brought it back to USA (I don't have much glassware anyways).

In India, I asked for a condenser, and all they could come up with was an Allihn condenser. I took it (It only costed me 15 bucks!). But here's the issue: I only bought the condenser. No parts, no adapters. A refluxing condenser like this would be very useful to me in the future when I want to prepare some organic materials very easily. So where can I get parts? I presume this is a 200 mm condenser with 24/40 fit parts. I may upload a picture.

The narrow part where I presume the thermometer or drying apparatus goes is chipped a bit, and the inside of the condenser is coated with a dark dusty material. However, my main concern is the location at which I would get adapters to attach this to a 250-500 ml RBF flask.

Are there any sources that will sell this for cheap? I don't want to hav e to spend $50 on a few adapters.

Bolt - 15-3-2010 at 17:33

a picture would help...

Rich_Insane - 15-3-2010 at 20:51

I will get one up soon....

UnintentionalChaos - 15-3-2010 at 23:23

Uh, If you're just refluxing, the male 24/40 joint goes straight into the female joint on the RBF. Or you can drop a claisen adapter between the two and add a thermometer.

MagicJigPipe - 19-3-2010 at 20:45

That's what I was thinking. It's like anything else, just put peg A into round hole A. If you have round hole B then search on eBay for a 24/40 to B adapter (or just buy a 24/40 RBF).

Rich_Insane - 25-4-2010 at 10:06

I took some pictures of the condenser a long time ago, sorry for the delay. I tried just putting the thing on a 250 ml RBF, it didn't work very well. Is it supposed to be rather loose? I'm sure I need an adapter of some sort.

That will give a slight view of the male side (the side going into the condenser)

That's just the other side -- where the thermometer goes.

[Edited on 25-4-2010 by Rich_Insane]

[Edited on 25-4-2010 by Rich_Insane]

The WiZard is In - 25-4-2010 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
Hey everyone!

About a year ago, I was in India, and decided to get some glassware. Glassware there is cheap, but still good grade. So I bought essentially 70% of the glassware I have now from India and brought it back to USA (I don't have much glassware anyways).

In India, I asked for a condenser, and all they could come up with was an Allihn condenser. I took it (It only costed me 15 bucks!). But here's the issue: I only bought the condenser. No parts, no adapters. A refluxing condenser like this would be very useful to me in the future when I want to prepare some organic materials very easily. So where can I get parts? I presume this is a 200 mm condenser with 24/40 fit parts. I may upload a picture.

The narrow part where I presume the thermometer or drying apparatus goes is chipped a bit, and the inside of the condenser is coated with a dark dusty material. However, my main concern is the location at which I would get adapters to attach this to a 250-500 ml RBF flask.

Are there any sources that will sell this for cheap? I don't want to hav e to spend $50 on a few adapters.

This looks like a condenser used with a soxhlet extraction app.

Attachment: LABBLAST.tif (145kB)
This file has been downloaded 483 times

The WiZard is In - 25-4-2010 at 18:13

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
Hey everyone!

I come from the KISS school of engineering. You can work
wonders with plastic tubing ... if your temperatures are no
to high.

Buy it a bit smaller, put the end in boiling water and slip it
on. To remove it... slit it with a knife. I guarantee you cannot
simply pull it off.