Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Computer in Lab protection

chemchemical - 17-3-2010 at 07:24

So i wanna start bringing my netbook into the lab with me (organic) but I'm worried about spills, splatters, and vapors corroding the insides of my computer. I have a cheap screen and keyboard protector but most of my netbook is still open.

I was looking at skins but dont think they would offer too much protections except towards splatters.

Ozonelabs - 17-3-2010 at 08:02

I can't recommend AGAINST that enough, we had briefly a computer in our lab, one little THF spill and the entire keyboard wound up glued to the desk... not a wise move!

Polverone - 17-3-2010 at 08:04

If your netbook doesn't require active cooling (fans), you may be able to encase the whole thing in a large clear plastic bag. That would be awkward to type on, but you could use an external wireless keyboard. The keyboard would remain vulnerable, but it's less expensive to replace than a full computer, and keyboards don't have that many metallic parts anyway.

[Edited on 3-17-2010 by Polverone]

bbartlog - 17-3-2010 at 10:20

I advise hedging by just using a cheapass computer in the lab (like a $200 netbook or something), assuming it's really needed. Providing really good protection is liable to be either more of a pain than coming up with $200, or else make the computer difficult to use. Speaking for myself, I don't bring my computer (a $1500 Mac) into the lab; I have a pad of paper for writing stuff down and don't need continuous access to the computer/Internet.

12AX7 - 17-3-2010 at 15:23

You can get keyboard 'condoms', but the best protection is avoidance. Bring a cheap calculator if you need computation, write everything in your lab notebook and tabulate things later.

Tim

Paddywhacker - 17-3-2010 at 19:03

How about keeping it in a glovebox?

More sensibly, you could enclose the screen & computer in a custom-made perspex or wooden frame and plastic film box and use a wireless keyboard & mouse.

Halogen fumes and SO2 are murder on the PCBs in electronic equipment, and they leave conductive deposits that leak short circuits.

DDTea - 27-7-2010 at 18:59

http://www.grandtec.com/products/video/vik.html I'd suggest one of these. This is what we use in our lab. However, we do not work with organics.

chemrox - 27-7-2010 at 19:13

use a notebook and a pencil. If the objective is to record labnotes on your computer scan the pages in later

Chainhit222 - 27-7-2010 at 19:40

Just put some disposable Pentium 3 in the lab, ive pulled tons of them out of dumpsters. You can get keyboards mad cheap too.

Skyjumper - 2-8-2010 at 11:14

Desktop... or laptop with monitor and keyboard. Keep the laptop/ desktop in a cabinet/ shielded out of the way. A CRT should be had free/ real cheap at any local tech shop/ Craigslist, and a keyboard/mouse can be had for under 20; you can replace these real quickly in case of a spill, while saving the laptop.