Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemistry with terracotta pots - what are some experiments that can be done?

RogueRose - 29-1-2019 at 07:47

I remember reading some time back that terracotta can be used in various types of chemistry, possibly electrolysis or filtration, I don't remember. I know the standard pots with the hole in the bottom often creates a problem and if the hole can be properly plugged or is absent, it makes the process much better/easier. Maybe it is used as a membrane or something (possibly to make NaOH/KOH from their respecitve salts?

I've been talking to a potter and they will make custom pots in whatever size I need for a good price.

What are some good experiments that can be done with terracotta that would be worthwhile doing?

I'm very interested in finding as many examples as possible b/c I'm planning on doing a research and instructional series for high school and college students, so hopefully they can replicate the same experiments on their own.

What are some experiments that can be done - don't discount experiments that require even semi-exotic compounds as I'm looking at making a large list of experiments to carry out.

Ubya - 29-1-2019 at 09:07

it can be used as cell membrane as you said
boiling stones
catalyst support
cracking of hydrocarbons catalyst (like allumina)

at the moment i can think only of these

j_sum1 - 29-1-2019 at 14:29

They are the container of choice for thermite reactions.

vmelkon - 29-1-2019 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
boiling stones
catalyst support
cracking of hydrocarbons catalyst (like alumina)

Does the cracking of hydrocarbons work? Has anybody tried it?

Ubya - 29-1-2019 at 17:10

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
boiling stones
catalyst support
cracking of hydrocarbons catalyst (like alumina)

Does the cracking of hydrocarbons work? Has anybody tried it?

https://youtu.be/7M7RY04KKBs

(i'll try once i can get some free time)

Simoski - 29-1-2019 at 21:23

You can make perchlorates and chlorates using a divided cell. In a way it simplifies the chemistry, because instead of a whole bunch of reactions going on in an undivided cell, in a divided cell you have 2 simpler reactions occuring. It allows more control.

Maybe a professional chemist could comment on such with an example....

8 )

MrHomeScientist - 30-1-2019 at 06:36

As others mentioned, I've used one as a membrane in an electrolysis cell to make NaOH from NaCl. Let it soak in the solution for a while to reach full conductivity. The hard part is sealing the hole in the bottom with something that is resistant to both hydroxide and chlorine. I used caulk but that failed after a few hours.

monolithic - 2-2-2019 at 13:56

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
As others mentioned, I've used one as a membrane in an electrolysis cell to make NaOH from NaCl. Let it soak in the solution for a while to reach full conductivity. The hard part is sealing the hole in the bottom with something that is resistant to both hydroxide and chlorine. I used caulk but that failed after a few hours.

I've heard that plumber's putty (the stuff used to seal around drains in sinks) holds up better. I might try it myself, using a plain flower pot. The biggest concern is that the pot is too thick. Sanding it down by hand is pretty much an impossible task.

monolithic - 3-2-2019 at 05:00

Yeah, plumber's putty is out if you're using acidic electrolytes. It lasted less than 5 minutes with a dilute sulfuric acid solution.

Ubya - 3-2-2019 at 05:13

has anyone tried sodium silicate and sand to fill the hole? after exposure to heat or CO2 it hardens

Iridium compounds?

pomegranate - 27-2-2019 at 14:45

what do you think of this?

i was wondering about some day, fusing iridium powder with K2CO3 in hopes of getting Potassium oxide or Potassium superoxide
by using a oxy propane torch, set with an O2 heavy oxydizing flame or with oxy acetylene, set with exess O2

hopefully that would make K2IrO3 and KIrO3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium
“Iridium also forms iridates with oxidation states +4 and +5, such as K2IrO3 and KIrO3, which can be prepared from the reaction of potassium oxide or potassium superoxide with iridium at high temperatures.[20]”

[20] Gulliver, D. J.; Levason, W. (1982). "The chemistry of ruthenium, osmium, rhodium, iridium, palladium and platinum in the higher oxidation states". Coordination Chemistry Reviews. 46: 1–127. doi:10.1016/0010-8545(82)85001-7.

symboom - 27-2-2019 at 18:32

as i seen on the permanganates thread success has been made using terracotta pots to keep the potassium permanganate from being reduced by the cathode
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8480&a...

[Edited on 28-2-2019 by symboom]