Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ammonium gas from calcium ammonium nitrate fertilizer

Random - 16-8-2010 at 13:45

I tried to make some ammonia gas to make ammonium hydroxide solution, but when I tried mixing calcium ammonium nitrate fertilizer with Ca(OH)2, no gas was formed. It was normal temperature water and hydroxide should react with ammonium nitrate, but what actually happened?

mnick12 - 16-8-2010 at 14:54

I suspect it is due to calium hydroxides insolubility. Try something else like NaOH or KOH or even a carbonate, as ammonium carbonate turns into ammonia pretty darn quick when theres water hanging around.

Random - 3-9-2010 at 13:55

I will try sodium bicarbonate, that way i can also make sodium nitrate. Will ammonium bicarbonate decompose with time without heating or I need to heat it?

ScienceSquirrel - 3-9-2010 at 14:09

Sodium bicarbonate is a bit feeble.
I would use potassium hydroxide that is widely available from biodiesel suppliers mixed with the calculated amount of potassium carbonate
You will drop out the calcium as the carbonate, drive off the ammonia as a gas and after filtration and crystalisation harvest the blessed needles of saltpetre! :)
Max use of your goods.

Random - 3-9-2010 at 23:57

The problem is that I don't have any other potassium salt other than potassium metabisulfite. I will try to turn it to k2so4 if it's possible to make koh.