Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Please change the title tags

cnidocyte - 22-8-2010 at 05:53

The one thing about this forum that pisses me off is the way the title of every page is "Sciencemadness Discussion Board - Powered by XMB 1.9.11". This forum has so many useful posts I bookmark shitloads of threads but when I look through my bookmarks every sm one says "Sciencemadness Discussion Board - Powered by XMB 1.9.11 ". Also when I look through tabs I can't see which tab is which. To solve this you simply use the thread title variable in the title tags like this <title>$thread_title</title>. Something that will take a couple of minutes but save thousands of people hassle.

MagicJigPipe - 22-8-2010 at 15:08

I agree that this should be done. It is rather annoying.

12AX7 - 22-8-2010 at 16:59

In the mean time, you can actually maintain your bookmarks...

Sedit - 22-8-2010 at 17:23

Just use the forums add to favorites feature. You can then access all your favorite post via your profile.

watson.fawkes - 22-8-2010 at 17:41

XMB has a template feature that include the ability modify the headers (Admin Panel >> Templates >> Headers). The default seems to be this (from the source):
Code:
<title>$bbname - $lang[textpowered]</title>
Someone who cares about PHP more than I do might be able to supply the proper $-variables to put thread names in the header.

cnidocyte - 23-8-2010 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
XMB has a template feature that include the ability modify the headers (Admin Panel >> Templates >> Headers). The default seems to be this (from the source):
Code:
<title>$bbname - $lang[textpowered]</title>
Someone who cares about PHP more than I do might be able to supply the proper $-variables to put thread names in the header.

I know a fair bit of PHP, can you gimme a link to download this template system and I'll find out what needs to be changed.

Vogelzang - 23-8-2010 at 13:12

I thought every message board does this. I was able to book mark this thread while calling it cnidocyte-rant.

cnidocyte.jpg - 12kB

watson.fawkes - 23-8-2010 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by cnidocyte  
I know a fair bit of PHP, can you gimme a link to download this template system and I'll find out what needs to be changed.
There's a source browser, or you can go to their download page.

cnidocyte - 30-8-2010 at 08:45

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Quote: Originally posted by cnidocyte  
There's a source browser, or you can go to their download page.

I'm gonna try figure it out now. I hate these content management systems, takes me ages to figure out how to change things.

Polverone - 30-8-2010 at 09:36

If you can figure it out using the template system, I will gladly change the titling. If the change needs direct source code hacking I'm not going to do that because I don't want to have a divergent code base that is harder to upgrade.

denatured - 30-8-2010 at 12:30

Polverone: Edit the 'header' using the template system, find the < title > tag, remove $threadSubject - $versionlong and add
- $thread[subject]

The default variable name is incorrect, also no need to expose the version number.

Polverone - 30-8-2010 at 15:06

Thanks for figuring it out, denatured. I've changed it now.

denatured - 31-8-2010 at 00:16

No problem.