Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Illegal Secret Tutorial: How to get all science documents (publications) for free (sci-hub method)?

The jersey rebel - 27-2-2019 at 09:16

got something to add to the discussion. apparently, you can add this to the end of any article to get the scihub version. just chance the .(whatever) to the current Domain name address as it changes javascript :location.hostname += '.sci-hub.fun'

Tsjerk - 27-2-2019 at 13:33

sci-hub.tw has been working for years as far as I know. I always use the DOI for some reason. Actually it never not worked, which is quite impressive I must say... Only right now nothing is loading after entering a DOI or URL... Do you guys have the same problem?

clearly_not_atara - 27-2-2019 at 16:42

It's better that knowledge of these kinds of things spread by word-of-mouth, rather than being centralized in Google-searchable tutorials. The latter route tends to lead to the clandestine activity being halted by the authorities.

mayko - 27-2-2019 at 17:05

In spite of having access to a university library, I find myself using SciHub frequently. Why? Because academic publishing giants like Elsevier don't give institutions subscriptions to individual journals, but rather licenses to bundles of journals. The good stuff is spread between bundles, which are then padded with fluff. As a consequence, the library doesn't carry Nature Ecology & Evolution (which I often need for work.) What it DOES carry is a lovely journal called Homeopathy (which, suffice to say, I do not anticipate needing for any purpose, ever.)

Fulmen - 27-2-2019 at 18:06

This should always return the current domain:
https://whereisscihub.now.sh/go

mayko - 28-2-2019 at 13:38

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!!!

Quote:

As a leader in the global movement toward open access to publicly funded research, the University of California is taking a firm stand by deciding not to renew its subscriptions with Elsevier. Despite months of contract negotiations, Elsevier was unwilling to meet UC’s key goal: securing universal open access to UC research while containing the rapidly escalating costs associated with for-profit journals.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-termina...