Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Diethyl ether

ChemistryForever - 18-2-2019 at 06:05

Since diethyl ether boils at 34.6 degrees C and the average body temperature is aroung 36.5 - 37 degrees celsius, I think you can put some diethyl ether on your hand and watch it boil. Would this be ok ? I mean, can it be dangerous if it gets absorbed by your hand ?

XeonTheMGPony - 18-2-2019 at 06:15

I can tell you it tastes awful, especially with hexane!

(I do mechanics and had a bit of an oops with engine starter while doing a test!

DavidJR - 18-2-2019 at 06:40

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

(I do mechanics and had a bit of an oops with engine starter while doing a test!

I would be inclined to say that the bad taste was other crap in the engine starter fluid, not the diethyl ether itself.

Sulaiman - 18-2-2019 at 06:52

For ether to evaporate it takes heat from your skin, cooling it.
The ether would evaporate quickly but not boil.
(unless you have skin with high thermal conductivity)

happyfooddance - 18-2-2019 at 22:13

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

I would be inclined to say that the bad taste was other crap in the engine starter fluid, not the diethyl ether itself.

I have filled a pipette with ether by mouth from time to time, and even just the vapor tastes horrible. Not the worst but pretty bad, and lingers too.

Tsjerk - 18-2-2019 at 22:17

Not the worst smell/taste, actually quite nice, a bit sweetish. But I don't think you will see it boil. Skin is rarely 37 degrees and ether, like sweat, will act like a strong coolant.

DrP - 19-2-2019 at 02:30

Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  

I have filled a pipette with ether by mouth from time to time, and even just the vapor tastes horrible. Not the worst but pretty bad, and lingers too.

I thought it had a lovely smell... unless I am confusing it with diochloromethane again... maybe they are similar in odour.

Sulaiman - 19-2-2019 at 03:21

My diethyl ether from onyxmet has a sweet smell, slightly 'smellier' than chloroform but pleasant.
Maybe you have a less pure 'technical' grade ?

DrP - 19-2-2019 at 03:34

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
My diethyl ether from onyxmet has a sweet smell, slightly 'smellier' than chloroform but pleasant.
Maybe you have a less pure 'technical' grade ?

Or maybe it is worse when you suck it up directly into your mouth through a pipette. :D

I remember the lab smelling strongly of it when the undergrads were rotovapping it. Heady days.

happyfooddance - 19-2-2019 at 03:52

Quote: Originally posted by DrP  
Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  

I thought it had a lovely smell... unless I am confusing it with diochloromethane again... maybe they are similar in odour.

It does have a nice smell which I enjoy. But tastes horrible. Pulling it up a pipette (reduced pressure + extremely focused turbulence) invariably fills the headspace with ether vapor.

DCM has a smell that I think is oddly not bad, but it burns the eyes and stings the nose.

VSEPR_VOID - 19-2-2019 at 04:34

The first refrigeration device was made using diethyl ether. It would be cool for someone to try and make one using starter fluid today.

morganbw - 19-2-2019 at 14:12

I have read that it is a popular drink among some people.
Nothing I have or will experience, just thought I would toss it out.

zed - 19-2-2019 at 19:16

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-true-story-irelands-explosiv...

Hadn't thought of it much. Though inveterate degenerate, Hunter S Thompson, mentions Ether intoxication in some of his writings. "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?

fusso - 20-2-2019 at 04:36

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-true-story-irelands-explosiv...

Hadn't thought of it much. Though inveterate degenerate, Hunter S Thompson, mentions Ether intoxication in some of his writings. "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?
The part of ether giving one farts wwwwwwwwww