Sciencemadness Discussion Board

sharing Awesome Chemical Pictures (Read first comment)

Pages:  1  

Chem Science - 19-3-2019 at 17:27

Hi everyone :)
So i wanted to do a topic to share pictures of chemicals; interesting, expensive, rare, dangerous, synthetic, or what ever you want us to see.
I have the rather odd hobby of looking at new substances for quite a bit of time, and not to mention using it :) i think i'm not the only one. So i wanted us to share pictures so we can enjoy looking at things we don't have access to.
Here are the RULES:
1) Picture of a sample of compound
2) Attach a structure or formula or name o f the substance
3) If you like, a little explication of its uses
4) It must be a picture of a compound you own yourself. (woelen)

I'm starting !! Mercuric Cyanide Hg(CN)2
Double fun .. toxic mercury .. toxic cyanide ...uses ?? ... no idea realy :/

Hg(CN)2.jpg - 1.6MB

[Edited on 20-3-2019 by Chem Science]

Ubya - 20-3-2019 at 04:33

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=26...
There's already a thread to post pretty pictures

woelen - 20-3-2019 at 04:37

I would like to add an additional rule: It must be a picture of a compound you own yourself.

I add a picture of a saturated solution of Cl2 in CCl4. Its color is much closer to the color of liquid chlorine than normal saseous chlorine, which is more green.

chlorine.jpg - 247kB

I made this by dissolving dried gaseous chlorine in pure CCl4, until no more gas could be dissolved. CCl4 dissolves quite some chlorine. I did not measure it, but it is many times the volume of liquid. According to solubility info I found on internet, a saturated solution of Cl2 in CCl4 will contain 7% to 8% by weight of chlorine. With a density of almost 1.6 grams per ml, this leads to roughly 0.11 to 0.12 grams of chlorine per ml of liquid. Gaseous chlorine has a density of appr. 0.003 grams per ml, so this solution has 35 to 40 times more chlorine per unit of volume and hence has a much stronger color.

I have no specific use for this sample. I use it as part of my element collection, displaying elemental chlorine at high concentration, without the need to have liquid (and hence highly pressurized) chlorine around. I chose CCl4 as solvent. This cannot react with Cl2 anymore, the solution is light-fast and stable on long-term storage.

[Edited on 20-3-19 by woelen]

Chem Science - 20-3-2019 at 06:05

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

Yes but i want one of Reagents hehe (^.^)

Awesome sample woelen !! I edited the post and added your rule :) that yellow is beautiful

fusso - 20-3-2019 at 07:18

I definitely think these should be merged. Just also include ownership claim in the post where needed is enough.

Ubya - 20-3-2019 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by Chem Science  

Yes but i want one of Reagents hehe (^.^)

anything could be a reagent, but i get what you are saying

Chem Science - 20-3-2019 at 15:09

Copper Citrate :) To make ultra fine copper powder. how ever the copper powder these gives is not pure, meaby these citrate is impure or the cooking i performed was bad.

SAM_5628.JPG - 2MB

Chem Science - 21-3-2019 at 12:15

Isatin .. for synthesis :)

SAM_5629.JPG - 2.2MB

Chem Science - 22-3-2019 at 11:08

SAM_5637.JPG - 1.9MB

woelen - 22-3-2019 at 11:24

A few more elements. I did not yet post them on my web page, they are fairly recent additions to my collection of elements:

A very pure sample of manganese, 99.99% purity, in an ampoule under Argon.

manganese.jpg - 1.1MB

White phosphorus, little sticks, under water.

whiteP.jpg - 1.3MB

nimgoldman - 22-3-2019 at 17:16

Harmine and harmaline hydrochloride crystals

Harmala alkaloids extracted from Peganum harmala (syrian rue) seeds, further purified by crystallization from brine.
These alkaloids are MAO inhibitors.
I further separate harmine and harmaline (DHH, dihydroharmine), the latter is further reduced to tetrahydroharmine (THH, leptaflorine) which is a weak SSRI with interesting benefits for central nervous system (could promote neuroplasticity).

vhrjqMX.jpg - 175kB

[Edited on 23-3-2019 by nimgoldman]

Chem Science - 22-3-2019 at 18:54

Woow woelen That manganese seems awesome !!
i never heard of Harmine nimgoldman. very nice sample :) Awesome to see !!

SAM_5640.JPG - 1.7MB

DraconicAcid - 22-3-2019 at 19:35

Nice naphthol! My organic class took the same compound and turned it into ethoxylnaphthalene earlier this semester- all was well and good until someone (not a student) decided that the last remaining sample had to be taken out of the dessicator and returned to the oven (which had been turned up to 80 oC). The student lost his sample to sublimation, but the lab smelled like lemon drops for days.

Chem Science - 23-3-2019 at 04:50

Hi DraconicAcid .. haha there's always someone that has to do it wrong xD But it's not bad to smell lemon :)
Here are some Cobalt Complexes :D

SAM_5653.JPG - 1.9MBSAM_5654.JPG - 1.8MB

Chem Science - 23-3-2019 at 05:05

Some Organic compounds :) The Nitrophthalhydrazide was synthesized by me :D

SAM_5644.JPG - 1.7MBSAM_5652.JPG - 1.6MB

Chem Science - 24-3-2019 at 08:39

Some Inorganic chemicals :)

SAM_5641.JPG - 1.9MBSAM_5645.JPG - 1.7MBSAM_5649.JPG - 1.6MB

Chem Science - 25-3-2019 at 03:34

These two are very obvious when they are side by side like these :)

SAM_5657.JPG - 1.9MB

Waffles SS - 25-3-2019 at 04:04

PETN and Gelignite when i was young and mad in science !

Nitro Gelatin.JPG - 69kB petn.jpg - 82kB

[Edited on 25-3-2019 by Waffles SS]

Chem Science - 25-3-2019 at 14:05

Wow nice pictures Waffles SS , first time looking at Pentaerythritol tetranitrate and Gelignite !! Here's some interesting stuff, Trifluoroacetic anhydride and bis(2,4,6-Tribromo)Oxalate

SAM_5660.JPG - 1.8MBSAM_5655.JPG - 1.8MB

woelen - 25-3-2019 at 14:45

Trifluoroacetic anhydride. Something which still is on my wish list. I can buy it, but it is very expensive, so up to now I did not buy it.

This evening I made pictures of attractive samples, which I made myself. Many of the chemicals displayed here, I made myself. Some of them I purchased.

The uploads are in multiple posts.

The first picture is a mix of Br2 and Cl2. I made this by filling a bottle of 250 ml with carefully dried Cl2 gas and then adding a small amount of Br2. This Br2 then quickly reacts with Cl2 (it evaporates much faster than it normally does, because it reacts with Cl2, forming gaseous BrCl). The resulting gas is a mix of BrCl and excess Cl2.
With a syringe I took 30 ml or so and blew this into an ampoule, which I sealed. This is the golden yellow gas in the big ampoule. To the remaining gas, I added a few ml of CCl4 and swirled this around. The gas mix dissolves in the CCl4 and gives a bright red/orange solution. This bright red/orange solution is a solution of BrCl together with excess Cl2 in CCl4. I also ampouled this solution.
This set of ampoules nicely shows that BrCl is orange/red in thick layers (or in higher concentration) and that it is golden yellow in thinner layers. The liquid ampoule also shows the golden yellow color in the neck of the ampoule, where only a thin layer of liquid is viewed.

BrCl.jpg - 1.5MB

The two pictures below show the same ampoule, filled with K3Cr(C2O4)3.3H2O, but it shows how it looks like in fluorescent light and in tungsten light. In fluorescent light it looks dark purple, in bright tungsten light it looks green. In daylight it looks grey.

K3Cr(C2O4)3.3H2O-green.jpg - 2.4MB

K3Cr(C2O4)3.3H2O-purple.jpg - 1.9MB

woelen - 25-3-2019 at 14:55

Some more interesting compounds:

Mercury sulfide exists in two forms. A black form and a red form. The first sample contains lumps of HgS, which are pieces, containing both the black form and the red form. These are from a natural source.

HgS-lumps.jpg - 1.4MB

The HgS, shown in the picture below is synthetic, both samples are pure and nicely demonstrate that this compound exists in two forms. Both forms are remarkably inert and do not dissolve in water, nor in strong acids.

HgS.jpg - 1.8MB

Arsenic also forms interesting sulfides. There are two well-known sulfides, As2S3, knows as orpiment, and As4S4, known as realgar. Pure powdered As2S3 is golden yellow. Pure crystalline As2S3 is golden/yellow, with a greyish/brown tinge and a high polish. Such pure crystalline samples are rare and expensive. More mundane sample usually are not shiny and have orange or red streaks in them, being As4S4 impurities. Sometimes, natural As2S3 also contains white quartz, but that can easily be recognized, and that is easy to remove, because quartz is MUCH harder than As2S3. The picture below shows three crystals of As2S3, containing small amounts of As4S4, which make the crystals appear somewhat orange instead of yellow.

As2S3.jpg - 1.9MB

The final two pictures in this post show very pure WO3 and WO3-x, with x appr. equal to 0.1, meaning that it is WO3, which is slightly deficient in oxygen. It is well known that WO3 can be deficient in oxygen and if it is, this has a very strong impact on the color. Very pure WO3 is pale yellow (color like sulphur, but slightly paler), but even a percent of oxygen deficiency leads to strong coloration in the blue part of the spectrum. The color is very intense and hence the material is nearly black.

WO3.jpg - 998kB

WO3-x.jpg - 1.8MB

[Edited on 25-3-19 by woelen]

woelen - 25-3-2019 at 15:23

This is my recently acquired sample of cesium metal. It is large, a full 10 grams of metal.

Cs.jpg - 1.2MB

This is some home-made PBr5, put in an ampoule. PBr5 is a very nasty chemical, which only can be stored indefinitely in a glass ampoule. It eats any cap, even the PTFE-lined GL45 red caps. It heavily fumes in contact with air. I made it and quickly ampouled it, I did not do any further experiments with it.

PBr5.jpg - 1.2MB

Below is a sample of P.A. grade FeSO4.7H2O. Normally, the material you buy is more like a dull grey/green, but the pure chemical has a very fine mint green color. In air, it quickly loses its beautiful color, due to oxidation by oxygen in air. For this reason I ampouled some om my FeSO4.7H2O to keep a rare and beautiful sample. For experimental purposes, one can better use (NH4)2SO4.FeSO4.12H2O, which has much better storage properties than FeSO4.7H2O.

FeSO4.7H2O.jpg - 1.3MB

The final two pictures are ethylene diamine complexes of copper(II) and nickel(II). I made the copper(II) complex by dissolving as much as possible of copper(II) oxide in 35% perchloric acid. I allowed the liquid to settle and decanted the blue solution of copper(II) perchlorate. To this I added a 30% solution of ethylene diamine in water, until. First you get a precipitate of copper(II) hydroxide, but on addition of more ethylene diamine, this redissolves. I added two more drops of ethylene diamine solution and then put the solution aside and let it slowly evaporate, until I had a nice crop of crystals. I did not let it evaporate to dryness. I decanted the liquid from the crystals, carefully dried the crystal mass in a coffee filter and then let the mass dry in warm air. The dark purple crystals are the copper complex, Cu(en)2(ClO4)2.

The nickel complex was made by dissolving a soluble nickel salt in water and precipitating this with a solution of NaOH. This gives a precipitate of Ni(OH)2, which on boiling for a while becomes coarser and easier to filter. I did not dry the Ni(OH)2, I simply rinsed it with water and then I dissolved it in as little as possible of 35% HClO4. To this solution I added 30% solution of ethylene diamine in water. First you get a precipitate again, next you get a dark blue liquid and finally you get a purple liquid. To this purple liquid I added a few more drops of ethylene diamine and then I let this evaporate and worked up the crystals just as for the copper complex. Again, I did not evaporate to dryness.

Both complexes form nice crystals and can be obtained perfectly dry in the form of beautiful free flowing crystals. I ampouled both chemicals, because they make very attractive display samples.

Cu(en)2(ClO4)2.jpg - 1.3MB

Ni(en)3(ClO4)2.jpg - 1.3MB

Chem Science - 25-3-2019 at 18:24

Woooww !! Awesome samples woelen :o :cool: Nice Interhalogens !! I did not know about the WO(3-x), i have WO3 can i make WO(3-x) ?
That PCl5 is super nice !! i envy the fact that you make it your self !!
That Cesium ... yeah that's an Element <3 never actually seen in real life cesium :( It's always nice to see pictures :D It's my first time looking at K3Cr(C2O4)3.3H2O, nice sample !! what is it used for ?
Okay .. it's difficult to keep up, let's see if you like these next samples :)

So First is Hematoporphyrin Dihydrochloride al 75% Then we have the Precursors and actual 2,4.Dinitrophenylhydrazine and last is 1,5-Diphenylcarbazide

SAM_5663.JPG - 1.7MBSAM_5668.JPG - 1.9MBSAM_5667.JPG - 1.8MBSAM_5671.JPG - 1.5MB

DrScrabs - 26-3-2019 at 09:43

Copper nitrate form a silver refining process, left the beaker aside an this single beauty grew.
Sadly I do not have better pictures as I gave it away as a present a year ago.

copper no3 - n2.jpg - 1.4MB

copper no3.jpg - 2.5MB

fusso - 26-3-2019 at 10:19

Quote: Originally posted by DrScrabs  
Copper nitrate form a silver refining process, left the beaker aside an this single beauty grew.
Sadly I do not have better pictures as I gave it away as a present a year ago.

That looks like sulphate instead:o

Tsjerk - 26-3-2019 at 10:49

I LOVE this topic, I envy you guys. I think I might have some picture that could possibly be shared here, I will have a look. But I wanted to share that I think these samples look absolutely astonishing!

Chem Science - 26-3-2019 at 17:33

Nice crystal !!! DrScrabs, super nice. The best gif you can give to someone :)
here's some other samples.

SAM_5669.JPG - 1.7MBSAM_5678.JPG - 1.5MBSAM_5670.JPG - 1.7MBSAM_5664.JPG - 1.7MB

monolithic - 26-3-2019 at 17:50

Is one of them an aldehyde?

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by monolithic]

Chem Science - 26-3-2019 at 18:02

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  

Is one of them an aldehyde?

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by monolithic]

Noup .. They are chromium compounds !!

DraconicAcid - 26-3-2019 at 18:06

A chromate and a dichromate, obviously.

Chem Science - 27-3-2019 at 02:20

Here are some more compounds :)

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by Chem Science]

SAM_5677.JPG - 1.6MB

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by Chem Science]

SAM_5679.JPG - 1.8MBSAM_5666.JPG - 2MB

Chem Science - 27-3-2019 at 06:00

Here are some FLuorine Organic Compounds !! :)

SAM_5672.JPG - 1.6MBSAM_5673.JPG - 1.7MBSAM_5674.JPG - 1.8MBSAM_5675.JPG - 1.1MBSAM_5676.JPG - 1.5MB

woelen - 27-3-2019 at 08:09

Where do you get all those compounds? The SCl2 and S2Cl2 can be made by home chemists with some care and effort, but all the other stuff is really uncommon. You really have access to special chemicals! Very nice!

Chem Science - 27-3-2019 at 09:47

Yes the SCl2 and S2Cl2 are easy, the SnCl4 i made it thanks to a SM post <3 The other one are thanks to some years of work in the university, i want to put them to nice use, so another reason for the post is to see if there is some kind of experiment that will be useful for someone with some of these i can carry out.. Yea som rare ones but who knows, maybe i can make a fluorinated tertiary alcohol for the sodium project, i dont think it's needed but it an example.

beta4 - 28-3-2019 at 15:37

phosphors-ambient.jpg - 329kB
phosphors-uv.jpg - 380kB

From left to right, ZnS:Ag, ZnS:Mn, ZnS:Cu phosphors that I synthesized recently.

The ZnS:Ag emits a blue glow, but is so faint that the camera doesn't pick it up. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong (maybe it's not that sensitive to 400nm UV light?).

The ZnS:Mn has been made with likely Fe-contaminated MnSO4, and has many dead spots. I'll need to recrystallize the MnSO4 and try again.

Chem Science - 28-3-2019 at 17:40

Nice phosphorescent powders beta 4 :) i had a funny experience with Zn and Cu .. the first time i made it, it worked .. ten times later i was never able to replicate .... i have to try again. any suggestions ? How did you make yours ? i made mine with Sulfur, zinc and copper powder ignition. Like i said it worked the first time, but never again :( F*** my luck :(

woelen - 29-3-2019 at 00:14

Fluorescence indeed is very interesting. I also tried making ZnS:Cu from Zn, S and Cu, but the stuff I obtained is very impure. It is a dark brown solid. Pure ZnS should be white, or pale yellow (??). With some copper included I would expect it to become brown or green (CuS is nearly black, very dark brown). Maybe I should use very fine copper powder. My copper powder probably is too coarse (65 micron particles). Anyway, the stuff I made does not show any fluorescence.

Years ago, someone donated me a small display sample of depleted uranyl nitrate (too little to do actual experiments with it, but very nice as remarkable display sample). This shows fantastic fluorescence under black light.

uranyl_nitrate.jpg - 61kB uranyl_fluorescence.jpg - 36kB

Waffles SS - 29-3-2019 at 00:29

Nice Pictures Woelen and beta4,

What is your procedure and ratio for making ZnS:Cu?

[Edited on 29-3-2019 by Waffles SS]

Herr Haber - 29-3-2019 at 06:46

Last year I got quite a bit of Uranium glass (depression glass) some arrived broken so I looked for Uranium salts to "dope" the glass some more.
I felt a bit uneasy at the idea of playing with Uranium salts but now I regret not getting that Uranyl nitrate I was offered !

Great pictures Woelen and Beta4 !

DrScrabs - 29-3-2019 at 11:30

I do have some Uranium glass aswell but don´t want to isolate Uranium in any state. Did not find any place wich accepst radiocative waste, also caontamination of my lab space is unacceptable in that way. Beeing happy with UV glowing glass marbes :D
And yes I am very jelous of the compounds posted before!

Edit: writing

[Edited on 29-3-2019 by DrScrabs]

The Volatile Chemist - 29-3-2019 at 15:48

Really cool topic. Chem Science, quite a few of the reagents you've posted have been acids - have you thought of making any salts of them, for curiosity-sake? Some of them wouldn't be very feasible I suppose (ex. the perfluorocarboxylic acids).

beta4 - 29-3-2019 at 16:21

If someone is interested in making ZnS:Cu, I posted the procedure and an helpful reference in this thread https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=14....

From my little experience it's key to start from very pure materials. ZnS can be made as described in the Brauer by bubbling H2S in an acidified ZnSO4 solution, but I decided to just buy lab grade ZnS to avoid messing with H2S.

The copper sulfate was tech grade but I recrystallized it, and the ammonium chloride was made from household reagents but has been recrystallized three times.

And given this is a thread about reagent pictures, here's a photo of some of my undoped ZnS starting material. I can confirm it's perfectly white.

ZnS.jpg - 222kB

@woelen: nice fluorescent sample. Does it have an afterglow?

Chem Science - 4-4-2019 at 01:11

Here are some nice stuff :D

Bathophenanthroline Ferrous Sulfate Complex.JPG - 1.8MBa-Nitroso-B-Naphthol.JPG - 1.4MBRuthenium Complex.JPG - 1.7MB

Chem Science - 4-4-2019 at 01:35

Lanthanum Nitrate.JPG - 1.7MB Glow Stuff.JPG - 1.9MB Sodium Azide.JPG - 1.9MB Sodium Hydride.JPG - 1.6MB

Chem Science - 4-4-2019 at 02:07

Dimethyl Sulfate.JPG - 1.5MB Sodium Arsenite.JPG - 1.6MB

beta4 - 4-4-2019 at 11:26

Wow Chem Science, that ruthenium complex is on my list of compounds I want to synthesize, someday. It can be used to make OLED displays.

By the way, the oxalate in your next post looks structurally similar enough to TCPO, maybe it can be used to make a glow stick reaction.

Here are my pictures: triple recrystallized ammonium chloride (white), and copper acetate (dark green).

ammonium-chloride.jpg - 130kBcopper-acetate.jpg - 135kB

Chem Science - 4-4-2019 at 12:36

yes the TCPO like compound react similar to TCPO .. NileRed has a video about it[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn61XAGgJA0] I want to make OLED'S but have not get to that point.
Thar Copper Acetate is Nice !!Ammonium chloride is fairly common, but when it's triple recrystallized ammonium chloride, That gives it Power :cool:

DrScrabs - 5-4-2019 at 09:32

Sorry, not the best quality of the image. But the PhNHNH2.HCl is triple recrystallized from EtOH and got a nice treat with activated C.
Made by the NaSO3/SO2 reduction(SnCl2 is bs here IMHO), If there is some interest I can post the synthesis next time I make some :)

Phenylhydrazine.jpg - 1.5MB

fusso - 5-4-2019 at 10:12

@DrScrabs yes!!!

beta4 - 5-4-2019 at 14:25

MnSO4 made by reacting Mn powder with sulfuric acid. The pure compound should be white, so mine has some impurities.

mnso4.jpg - 497kB

woelen - 5-4-2019 at 14:36

MsSO4 is very pale pink, a most delicate color. Probably your material contains some iron. If you have a soluble thiocyanate salt, you could try adding a pinch of your yellow salt to a drop of fairly concentrated thiocyanate solution. If the impurity indeed is iron, then the drop will turn blood red, even when only a tiny amount of iron is present in your sample. Manganese(II) does not give a strongly colored complex with thiocyanate ion.

fusso - 5-4-2019 at 14:51

This thread is getting popular, should it be pinned?

Chem Science - 5-4-2019 at 18:05

Amazing that PhNHNH2.HCl Very nice crystals !! Plis post your synthesis :D :D

Tsjerk - 6-4-2019 at 02:54

I think I can make a nice photo of MnCl2. Mine is nice and pink.

Edit; Mine could also be the sulfate... I haven't seen the bottle in years, but I know where it should be.

Sorry, not the best quality of the image. But the PhNHNH2.HCl is triple recrystallized from EtOH and got a nice treat with activated C.
Made by the NaSO3/SO2 reduction(SnCl2 is bs here IMHO), If there is some interest I can post the synthesis next time I make some :)

Is yours very fluffy? I have a commercially bought sample and it is very voluptuous. Like 0.3 grams filling a cubic centimeter.

[Edited on 6-4-2019 by Tsjerk]

DrScrabs - 6-4-2019 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

Is yours very fluffy? I have a commercially bought sample and it is very voluptuous. Like 0.3 grams filling a cubic centimeter.

Yes it is.

woelen - 7-4-2019 at 09:49

Here follow pictures of a few compounds I made at home:

This is potassium, I made according to POK's method, first posted on the German forum Versuchschemie.de. This forum unfortunately does not exist anymore.

K.jpg - 54kB

The following is KCrO3Cl, I made from K2Cr2O7 and conc. HCl.

KCrO3Cl.jpg - 68kB

The next one is N(CH3)4ICl4. Normally, salts of the complex ion ICl4(-) are not very stable and this compound easily loses ICl3 so that a simple chloride remains behind. With the big cation N(CH3)4(+), however, it forms a stable salt.

N(CH3)4ICl4.jpg - 157kB

The final one is KVO4 (the yellow stuff) and KVO3 (the white stuff), made from V2O5 and KOH and H2O2.

KVO4+KVO3.jpg - 49kB

DrScrabs - 8-4-2019 at 13:31

Crude phenylhydrazine sulfate, thread coming tomorrow :)

DSC07758 (2).JPG - 1.1MB

Tsjerk - 9-4-2019 at 01:33

Nice! Do you know why it is reddish?

DrScrabs - 13-4-2019 at 07:19

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

Nice! Do you know why it is reddish?

Oxidation maybe.

DSC07760c.jpg - 3.1MB

Iodine from NaI + KHSO5, molten under H2SO4, forms a nice on cooling crystalline layer without I2 fumes!

Ubya - 13-4-2019 at 08:42

Iodine from NaI + KHSO5, molten under H2SO4, forms a nice on cooling crystalline layer without I2 fumes!

do you have any problems with sulphuric acid bubbles in the solid I2 mass?

DrScrabs - 13-4-2019 at 09:33

do you have any problems with sulphuric acid bubbles in the solid I2 mass?

No, it went flawless! The I2 obtained by the reacrtion was a fine precipitate, washed(dH2O<3°C) on the sinter and, slightly wet transfered to a beaker filled with a few ml (enough to cover it all) of concentrated(>97%) H2SO4 and heated above the melting point if I2. I2melted and formed a nice liquid layer under the acid. I stirred with a glass rod occasionally and left it on the hotplate for appx 30 min @melting point.
The I2 layer is without any bubbles containing H2SO4 or sth else(as far as I can tell)!
The crystal structure is "flaky", like flat crystalline layers forming on top of each other.
Edit: The crystalline structures on top of the flat mass on the pictures are from "refluxing" I2 vapour during storage IMHO (storage 10 months+) wich may be the most interesting in the picture, the bottle has small crystalline deposits of I2 everywhere!

[Edited on 13-4-2019 by DrScrabs]

Arthur Dent - 14-4-2019 at 05:17

Here are some Manganese Chloride I synthesized a few years ago.
There might be a bit of iron contamination, because that was produced from "pottery grade" Manganese Carbonate, and hardware store HCl. But I doubt it because it has the proper color (I synthesized MnCl2 from regular C-batteries a few years back and it had a orange-ish tint)

IMG_6545.jpg - 377kB

Bedlasky - 15-4-2019 at 04:15

Hello.

I made some solution of sodium hypomanganate cca 8 months ago. I am really interested in manganese chemistry and I prepared every oxidation state from II-VI from KMnO4. But hypomanganate is really unstable and rare. This makes him really exotic compound.

I made him by reduction of KMnO4 by Na2S2O3 in 48% NaOH. All reagents was cooled in fridge before reaction because hypomanganates are more stable in lower temperatures. In to the solution of 48% NaOH I added few drops of 25% solution of Na2S2O3.5H2O (Na2S2O3 isn't dissolve in water, but in 20% NaOH). Then I added few drops of dilute aqueous solution of KMnO4. Colour of solution has turned in to green by presence of manganate. I returned solution in to the fridge and after ten minutes solution turned colour in to turquoise by presence of hypomanganate. Solution was little bit cloudy, because some NaOH in solution crystallized in the fridge before reaction.

On the internet I found that this compund have really interesting formula Na3MnO4.0,25NaOH.12H2O.

I plan to repeat this reaction in future and test how long solution stays turquoise and some redox chemistry with ethanol and acetone.

In the picture is solution of hypomanganate next to solutions of manganate and permanganate for comparison of colour MnO4(n-).

Sorry if my english is bad. I'm trying as much as I can writing correctly.

[Edited on 15-4-2019 by Bedlasky]

[Edited on 15-4-2019 by Bedlasky]

[Edited on 16-4-2019 by Bedlasky]

woelen - 17-4-2019 at 02:23

Very interesting manganese chemistry. I know the green manganese(VI) and made this myself quite a few times, but the bluish manganese(V) I only knew from literature. Never found a way to make it myself, all attempts lead to formation of finely divided solid yellowish/brown manganese(IV) compounds (most likely hydrous forms of MnO2).

j_sum1 - 17-4-2019 at 04:59

Yes. I have only seen the blue +5 of Mn in photos, and very few of those too. It has been on the list to do. Extremely pretty colour.
Thanks for the reminder.

Edit
Provedure for Mn(V) here. Navigate to Mn oxidation experiments
http://www.explorechem.com/home.html

[Edited on 17-4-2019 by j_sum1]

Bedlasky - 17-4-2019 at 05:48

I made few experiments until it's finally working. First few experiments stopped on manganate. It needs very strong alkaline media and low temperature.

If you want to try prepare hypomanganate in solid I have read something about this in one document (but it's only in Czech :(). Author made hypomanganate from K2CO3, MnCO3 and dry air (dried over conc. H2SO4) at 800°C. The reaction leasted 60 hours. But hypomanganate wasn't pure - the yield was 56,9% (impurities was MnO2 adn K2MnO4). Hypomanganates is very water sensitive. Trace of water in the air leads to disproportionation to MnO2 and K2MnO4.

[Edited on 17-4-2019 by Bedlasky]

nezza - 17-4-2019 at 11:49

Over the years I have accumulated a few pictures of unusual chemicals. Here are 4 I have taken over the years.
1. is Selenium dioxide crystals.
2. is a selection of phosphorus samples.
3. is Neodymium sulphate.
4. is Praseodymium sulphate.

Selenium dioxide.jpg - 246kBPhosphorus.jpg - 300kBNeodymium sulphate.jpg - 216kBPaseodymium sulphate.jpg - 212kB

nezza - 17-4-2019 at 11:55

And of course Europium 3+ in alkali fluorescing under a UV laser.

Europium Fluorescence.jpg - 156kB

woelen - 17-4-2019 at 12:54

All of these samples are very nice, but the white phosphorus and the europium are really outstanding.
My white P is not transparent, it is more like off-white wax. I have seen such pure white P once before, made by Endimion17 some years ago.

I myself did a little experiment and made a few pictures again, which also may be interesting. A small experiment, dissolving some I2 in CCl4, which gives a nice purple solution. The picture shows a still very dilute solution, which best demonstrates the color.

I2_in_CCl4.jpg - 411kB

Finally, I had a very dark purple solution. To this, I added a little amount of red P and swirled for a minute or so. The I2 reacts with the red P (which was in excess). This leads to formation of the red compound PI3, which also is soluble in CCl4 (but only sparingly so).

PI3_and_P_in_CCl4.jpg - 626kB

I ampouled some of this solution. This solution is quite nasty, it fumes in contact with humid air. These fumes are from HI, formed by reaction of water vapor in air with PI3, dissolved in CCl4.

I ampouled some PI3, dissolved in CCl4 to make a more permanent display:

PI3_in_CCl4.jpg - 866kB

Making more PI3 in this way is not easy, because its solubility in CCl4 is not that high. Also the solubility of I2 in CCl4 is not superb.

I also have a small sample of the solid compound (made with CS2 as a solvent which has much better solubility properties) and ampouled this in a 20 ml ampoule to keep it good. It is very air-sensitive and cannot be kept around in a normal bottle (it is very corrosive, like PCl5, PCl3 and PBr3, and eats caps and besides that, it gives nasty brown stains on anything nearby). I made the glass ampoule a few days ago and now it is safely stored and makes a nice display:

PI3.jpg - 1.1MB

woelen - 17-4-2019 at 12:59

Another nice sample, this one is appr. 25 grams of reagent grade BBr3. This I purchased as shown. I did not ampoule this myself. Making BBr3 at home is very difficult, boron and Br2 do not react at room temperature. Making this compound requires the use of very high temperatures.

BBr3.jpg - 1.1MB

Pure BBr3 is colorless, but commercial samples always contain a little free bromine, giving a brown/orange color.

[Edited on 17-4-19 by woelen]

Bedlasky - 18-4-2019 at 04:59

The crystals of neodymium and praseodymium sulphate have really nice colours :). Europium is also very nice. The sample of white phosphorus is very interesting - I've never seen sample like this.

Purple colour of iodine solution reminds me school labs - determining of partition coefficient. PI3 have nice colour :).

fusso - 18-4-2019 at 05:19

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Hypomanganates is very water sensitive. Trace of water in the air leads to disproportionation to MnO2 and K2MnO4.

Wait so how did you make a soln of MnO4 3-?

Wrecking Bereserker - 18-4-2019 at 11:07

Hypomanganates is very water sensitive. Trace of water in the air leads to disproportionation to MnO2 and K2MnO4.

Exactly what happened to mine also i should say manganate is this way also when i saw the sample after a few days it has already went to MnO2 and KMnO4

Bedlasky - 18-4-2019 at 11:55

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

Wait so how did you make a soln of MnO4 3-?

I made the solution as I described in first post. The problem with stability with solid hypomanganate was that it didn't in extremely alkaline conditions. After reaction you haven't in mixture large amount of carbonate. The yield also dependent on temperature - if it's temperature too high, hypomanganate decomposes.

In cold concentrated NaOH reduction (from my experiences) worked. How much is solution stable I don't know I didn't test it (but I plan it for the future).

maxstar - 5-5-2019 at 00:08

Hello.

I made some solution of sodium hypomanganate cca 8 months ago. I am really interested in manganese chemistry and I prepared every oxidation state from II-VI from KMnO4. But hypomanganate is really unstable and rare. This makes him really exotic compound.

I made him by reduction of KMnO4 by Na2S2O3 in 48% NaOH. All reagents was cooled in fridge before reaction because hypomanganates are more stable in lower temperatures. In to the solution of 48% NaOH I added few drops of 25% solution of Na2S2O3.5H2O (Na2S2O3 isn't dissolve in water, but in 20% NaOH). Then I added few drops of dilute aqueous solution of KMnO4. Colour of solution has turned in to green by presence of manganate. I returned solution in to the fridge and after ten minutes solution turned colour in to turquoise by presence of hypomanganate. Solution was little bit cloudy, because some NaOH in solution crystallized in the fridge before reaction.

On the internet I found that this compund have really interesting formula Na3MnO4.0,25NaOH.12H2O.

I plan to repeat this reaction in future and test how long solution stays turquoise and some redox chemistry with ethanol and acetone.

About a year ago I was busy with hypomanganates too. Made it in a similar way - a concentrated KOH solution (40%) mixed with some sodium sulfiet, cooled it down in a fridge and started to drop potassium permanganate solution in it. I could observe the color change from pink violet to cyan/turquise (hypomanganate) through green (manganate). Indeed it is not stable.

One way to stabilize it is with Barium. There are two pigments known from paintings - manganese blue and manganese green. The problem is - I could find very controversial data about them. Some sources say that manganese blue is a mix of barium manganate with barium sulfate. Other sources say that manganase blue is barium hypomanganate and manganese green is barium manganate...

There are several ways to obtain it - baking a mix of barium nitrate with manganese (IV) oxide (with sodium sulfate in some sources) or mixing potassium permanganate with barium hydroxide (solutions).

I tried the last one and it worked, but very slow. It took weeks and finally I got a colorless solution (with a crust of probably barium carbonate on the top as barium hydroxide was reacting with carbon dioxide from air) and a dark blue sediment. I also tried a different way - adding pure KOH to the strong solution of potassium permanganate till it turned green and then adding barium hydroxide. Again, dark blue sediment appears. Just not sure if it was manganate of hypomanganate. First I thought it was manganate, but later found those controversial facts about the colors of barium manganate and hypomanganate...

[Edited on 5-5-2019 by maxstar]

Bedlasky - 5-5-2019 at 08:54

I had solution of hypomanganate in fridge stable for at least 20 minutes. I wasn't really examine stability of solution, I just dilute it and pour in to the drain. But now it's interested me, I will let you know when I test it.

Quote: Originally posted by maxstar  
Again, dark blue sediment appears.

In my experience - mixed solution of manganate and permanganate have dark blue colour (see starting chemical chameleon or try put excess of permanganate to alkaline solution of thiosulfate). But this is precipitate - this may be different.

woelen - 18-5-2019 at 12:55

I made K2Cr3O10 and ampouled this.

I made this chemical by dissolving K2Cr2O7 and some CrO3 in boiling hot highly concentrated HNO3 (70% or so, maybe even a little more). The nitric acid I made by distillation from H2SO4 and KNO3 and a little water to make really concentrated acid. In such concentrated acid an amazingly large amount of K2Cr2O7 can be dissolved and when that is done, then it also is possible to dissolve some CrO3 in it as well. In order to do so, the liquid must be boiling hot, otherwise you don't get all of it dissolved.

After that, I put the flask with the acid and dissolved chromium compounds in a hot water bath, which I slowly let cool down. The next day I had a big crop of beautiful red K2Cr3O10. I put this on a glass fritte and used some paper tissue on the other side of the fritte to absorb the acid and any CrO3 which still is dissolved in it. This was quite scary, the acid with CrO3 is a very harsh oxidizer and after ten seconds or so, the paper tissue with acid soaked in it starts to fume and hiss. So, I had a bucket with water nearby and dumped the paper tissue with absorbed acid in that immediately. I repeated this procedure until no more acid could be absorbed in paper tissue. At this point, the solid already was quite dry.
Next, I put the solid in a petri dish and put it in an oven at 100 C for 20 minutes or so. I finally put the petri dish in a plastic jar, in which I also put a small dish, full of NaOH. This absorbs acid vapor and after several days I had a perfectly dry product, which could be ampouled nicely.

Below follow pictures of the ampouled product on a white background and on a black background:

K2Cr3O10.jpg - 895kB

K2Cr3O10_on_black.jpg - 1.5MB

I also made pictures where the compound is kept near the container of my K2Cr2O7. These pictures nicely show the difference between K2Cr2O7 and K3Cr3O10.

K2Cr2O7_K2Cr3O10.jpg - 1.9MB

K2Cr2O7_K2Cr3O10_on_black.jpg - 1.9MB

Once the K3Cr3O10 is completely dry and free of acid, it is not hygroscopic anymore, and it can be kept around very well. I will use this sample in my element collection as an addon to the chromium sample (together with Cr2O3, CsCr-alum, K2CrO4, K2Cr2O7).

[Edited on 18-5-19 by woelen]

MrHomeScientist - 20-5-2019 at 06:34

Very nice! I'm also curious what it would look like next to CrO3. Is it an intermediate between the oxide's dark red and dichromate orange?

woelen - 20-5-2019 at 11:58

It indeed is an intermediate color. CrO3 is darker.
I can make a picture of K2Cr3O10 besides some CrO3. Expect that picture one of these days . . .

Bedlasky - 23-5-2019 at 10:55

Interesting compound with beautiful colour. Sadly I saw this compound only on pictures :(.

Bedlasky - 23-5-2019 at 23:42

Hi.

Here is photo of one of my crystals of ammonium-ferric sulfate. Crystal weight is 37,7g. On photos has beautiful pale violet colour but currently is transparent on edges (but middle is still pale violet) and surface is little bit rusty but it doesn't become rusty even more. I store it in paraffin oil to prevent water losses (on the air it lose water and becomes rusty).

IMG_20190513_210044.jpg - 2MB IMG_20190513_212630.jpg - 2.1MB

mayko - 26-5-2019 at 12:27

orangePeels.jpg - 145kB
Figure 1: I started stockpiling orange peels in my freezer, telling myself that I'd steam distill them some day. By the time the freezer was full & I got around to the project, I had 2.63 kg hoarded.

organgeOil.jpg - 46kB
Figure 2: When I was done, I had 41.80 g of orange oil collected, for a dry mass percent of ~1.6% oil. I measured its density as 0.837 g/mL.

Also, my house smelled like Froot Loops the whole time :cool:

fusso - 26-5-2019 at 15:56

@mayko
Nice! That's the largest batch of limonene extraction I've ever seen!

woelen - 26-5-2019 at 22:44

That's interesting. How much solvent did you need for this extraction? And what solvent did you use? Did you recover the solvent by distilling it off and using it again? Could you provide some more details on how the extraction was done?

Another question I have is what you can do with this orange oil? Does it have some specific interesting chemical properties, which can be used in nice chemical experiments?

Ubya - 27-5-2019 at 05:34

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
That's interesting. How much solvent did you need for this extraction? And what solvent did you use? Did you recover the solvent by distilling it off and using it again? Could you provide some more details on how the extraction was done?

Another question I have is what you can do with this orange oil? Does it have some specific interesting chemical properties, which can be used in nice chemical experiments?

I hope he used steam distillation, it's relatively fast, in one morning I processed about 1kg of peels in a few batches, using a solvent would require lots of it (just to cover the peels) and even more for washings, the beta carotene would also be extracted so a distillation is mandatory. Meh steam distillation is better:D
The oil should be mainly limonene, it's used as a solvent

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
Got some orange peels steam-distilling, no broken glassware yet!

EDIT found this in everyday chemistry hahaha

[Edited on 27-5-2019 by Ubya]

mayko - 30-5-2019 at 04:54

Yep, this was a steam distillation... actually several. I've never really gotten the hang of the technique so I decided to just do it over and over for practice. I hadn't thought as far ahead as a use for the orange oil! I might mix some with alcohol and spray it on paper to make scented stationery for my letter writing. :)

In the process I learned that orange oil is produced industrially from the waste from orange juice production by pressing rather than steam distillation.

Chem Science - 3-6-2019 at 01:56

Here's some Uranyl Nitrate sample and Thionyl Bromide :)

SAM_5864.JPG - 1.9MBSAM_5867.JPG - 2MB

Ubya - 3-6-2019 at 02:11

shouldn't uranyl nitrate be UO2 (NO3)2?
is that an uranium (IV) (with oxygen!?) nitrite?
i think you messed up the formula a bit:D

fusso - 3-6-2019 at 02:47

@Chemscience how much is that?:o

woelen - 3-6-2019 at 03:13

That sample of uranyl nitrate is beautiful.

@Ubya: Uranyl ion has uranium in its +6 oxidation state. The ion is UO2(2+) and the nitrate salt is UO2(NO3)2.

Herr Haber - 3-6-2019 at 03:47

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
@Chemscience how much is that?:o

Just enough to convince me to get my own !

Oh please do post a picture in UV light :)

XeonTheMGPony - 3-6-2019 at 04:10

Fresh made Picric acid drying out befor being converted to Ammonium Picrate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picric_acid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnite

20190602_203621.jpg - 2MB

Some Iron 2 Sulphate for a 1,4, Dioxan synth I have planed along side some Copper Nitrate

[Edited on 3-6-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]

P8150594.JPG - 1.3MB

Chem Science - 3-6-2019 at 09:18

Ups ... Sorry :) Yup i did messed up the formula jej e.. Sorry .. Nex post is on UV for Herr Haber and the correct formula =) .. btw nice Ferrous Sulphate.I'm very interested in your synthesis of Dioxane, so i'm expectant for the post :)

Chem Science - 4-6-2019 at 17:39

Here's 20gr of Uranyl Nitrate in UV light :)

SAM_5883.JPG - 1.5MBSAM_5885.JPG - 1.5MB

Ubya - 5-6-2019 at 03:35

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
That sample of uranyl nitrate is beautiful.

@Ubya: Uranyl ion has uranium in its +6 oxidation state. The ion is UO2(2+) and the nitrate salt is UO2(NO3)2.

yup i know, i was messing around trying to interpret the wrong formula:P

@chem science: beautiful sample, uranium is one of my favourite elements, if not the most

Tkuze - 7-6-2019 at 11:51

6-Monodeoxy-6-monoazido-beta-cyclodextrin synthesized via refluxingMono-6-O-(p-toluenesulfonyl)-β-cyclodextrin and sodium azide in an aqueous solution..
Used as synthetic intermediate. The azide is reduced to make 6-Monodeoxy-6-monoamino-beta-cyclodextrin or used in click chemistry to attatch subsituted functional groups which can be used to bind/trace movement in vivo. One example is performing an amidation reaction between the amino-cyclodextrin and biotin( biotinylation). When tested on mice, the movement of the cyclodextrin within the cell can be traced by introduction and binding of streptavidin or avidin. Cyclodextrins can act as "cages" for molecules such as steroids and facilitate drug delivery. B-cyclodextrin itself is combined with DMSO and a specific therapeutic drug to permit effective drug delivery through cellular walls.

IMG_0108.JPEG - 1.1MB72.png - 6kB

Ubya - 13-6-2019 at 03:15

some tetraphenylcyclopentadienone made at uni

20190612_234333-1.jpg - 756kB

AvBaeyer - 13-6-2019 at 04:46

Ubya,

Whoops! You need to change the name of your compound or the structure on the page.

AvB

Ubya - 14-6-2019 at 05:11

20190614_150530-1.jpg - 522kB

AvB you are totally right, my bad.

ps can't edit my last post (can't edit any of mesagges on this thread but this one, the button is not there, wtf?)

[Edited on 14-6-2019 by Ubya]

fusso - 14-6-2019 at 05:13

Black organic compound?Weird.
 Pages:  1