Sciencemadness Discussion Board

YouTube Science Channels

DougTheMapper - 16-11-2010 at 04:37

Hey everyone, I've recently noticed that there are many people on this forum who have chemistry-related YouTube channels which remain largely hidden. Being a fan of the more popular ones (TheHomeScientist, NurdRage, mabakken, etc), I thought it would be nice to compile a list of homemade chemistry video channels.

I think that promotion of these videos will help encourage the population to understand that people who make things in their basements and garages aren't the heretics that TV has made them out to be. The first step is to get these videos promoted by increasing views. So, with regards to the dignity of home chemists everywhere, here is the list:

====================================

All of these are at http://www.youtube.com/<insert name>

Mabakken
NurdRage
TheHomeScientist
Periodicvideos
Sieveb1
Myst32YT
wwwperiodictableru
Hallucionist
Chemsnippets

====================================

Post your channels or the channels you like and I will edit this post to include them. If the list becomes very long, I will add categories upon request. Let's get this new wave started!

mewrox99 - 19-11-2010 at 20:44

I have my chem channel I'm quite proud off.

Youtube.com/mewrox99

Gary - 9-12-2010 at 05:11

Homescientist, Alchemical Garden and Nurdrage- all worth viewing.

hkparker - 10-12-2010 at 16:47

yay for promoting youtube scientists! I got started on the youtube community before I come on sciencemadness, talking frequently with Myst32YT, Mewrox99, Alchemical garden, among other, and recently there has been a push from us youtubers to come here! Please check out my channel, www.youtube.com/user/hkparker, ive been doing it for about 6 months.

kuro96inlaila - 10-12-2010 at 21:07

Thanks for your efforts DougTheMapper!

Same as hkparker,I got involved in youtube before I found sciencemadness forum, while I was searching with google for something I have forgotten what it is.
So far I have only 11 subscribers on my youtube channel,but I hopefully got far more than that.Although I've not so good videos,I will improved and more video to come.
Just because it is a little bit harder to obtain chemicals in Malaysia.

so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Please have a look,and hopefully you'll enjoy it! :)

Rogeryermaw - 18-12-2010 at 21:35

i will resume my experimentation soon. health issues have put me down for a while but i have a tube as well. same as my screen name here. i have some experiments lined up with the phosphorus made in the videos.

people...if you ever have inexplicable abdominal pain, get it checked out quickly!!! ulcers hurt and they can stop your life dead in it's tracks. till i got treatment i was stuck in bed in horrid pain for about 4 weeks. i got to enjoy the lovely taste of barium with iodine contrast...ultrasounds...half a gallon of bloodwork...been on powerful anitbiotics(my guts are just starting to recover from that)and prilosec is fukken expensive!!! been taking that for a month and have a month to go. don't lay around waiting for it to go away. it will cause you to get behind in everything. that shit hurt worse than getting shot in the shin with a .22... get help!!!

but i am into recovery and starting to feel well again so the experimentation videos will recommence soon!

hkparker - 19-12-2010 at 10:51

Glad to hear your feeling better, your work on phosphorus was awesome!

kuro96inlaila - 20-12-2010 at 01:04

Rogeryermaw,

Get well,ok!
We will wait for your experiment!;)

Bringing up the profile of youtube science

NurdRage - 6-1-2011 at 20:41

I'd like to try and bring up the profile of youtube science and the youtube experimentalist community in general.

My idea is to have more interaction with other experimentalists on youtube. I'm going to open a second channel (haven't decided on the name yet) and on it i'll post vlog responses directly to other channels (as in all of yours). I hope to drive more subscribers to other channels this way but more importantly i want to show that there are plenty of legitimate experimentalists on youtube.

We can also collaborate and perhaps work on joint projects and videos that way.

Anyone interested? or have other ideas for making ourselves more noticed?

hkparker - 6-1-2011 at 20:47

Thats great NurdRage, im totally on board. me and Myst32YT have worked close together in the past and it was really a rewarding experience, I think collaboration is a good idea. A possible thought is we all work on projects and make segments of a complete video about it. I would also promote that some members of SM start their own channels, we would love to have you there too.

NurdRage - 6-1-2011 at 21:07

sounds good then.

I'd like to get a bit of content up on my vlog channel before i plug it. So any project or topic you (or anyone else if they want to chime in) can think of to get started for an initial exchange?

Should be something relatively easy and broad so plenty of people can join in and start off. A good example would be "hot ice" but that's done to death. The potassium experiments (in the general chemistry section) are a good example of multi-pronged self-organizing research effort on our part. Although as far as i know, i'm the only one in that research group with a youtube channel and doing active experiments with potassium.

hkparker - 6-1-2011 at 21:19

Well the only thing im working on (when the weather here gets better) is synthesis of carbon disulfide by passing acetylene through molten sulfur, but this is kind of complicated, dangerous, and not that useful to the average home lab, so I dont think it would be a good place to start.

Potassium is a good idea, maybe a good place to start, but I know that group has already come a ways and like you said, your the only one in the group with a youtube channel atm.

You could open it up to the community on youtube, youl probably get more feedback there, and see what everyone is interested in.

NurdRage - 6-1-2011 at 21:26

Problem with youtube is that a great number of my subs are overenthusiastic kids or kewls who are very liable to get themselves killed in this quest. Myfanwy94 is a good example of an individual who went too far and is now no longer with us.

I want to start here from this board since it seems the greater percentage of users are qualified, or at least competent enough, to do what we do safely.

hkparker - 6-1-2011 at 21:34

Yea good point, Myfanwy94 is a sad example, I saw his synthesis of HCN by frac. distillation of potassium ferricyanide with HCl before youtube pulled it down, stupid dangerous, months later I found out he died.

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by hkparker]

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by hkparker]

Rogeryermaw - 7-1-2011 at 07:12

if anyone is interested, i made a you tube channel so people could check out the process i used for phosphorus production. the fields are: screen name: wwwsciencemadnessorg password: sciencenazisblow. this channel belongs to the community and anyone can check it out or even post to it. it is there for members of sciencemadness. whether you do not have your own channel or want to use it to post your own experiments it is open to all and it helps that several members can post to one place so there is no confusion on how to find it or viewing permissions or any of that garbage, you can tell members about a post to the community you tube page and then everyone can access it.

NurdRage - 7-1-2011 at 07:30

Probably best not to share the password so publicaly like that. Some troll could easily come on and change the password and steal the channel. It's best if one person controlled it completely and instead people sent the videos to them to be posted.

MrHomeScientist - 7-1-2011 at 09:49

This is a great idea. That's part of the reason I got into chemistry, because I think people have an unnecessary fear of chemicals. I aim to show them that chemistry is fun and interesting, as long as you respect the things you are working with. Not everyone that mixes things or builds stuff in their garage is automatically a terrorist!

I definitely like NurdRage's channel idea - collaboration is a great idea! The recent potassium thread is a perfect example of this. Lots of doubters at the beginning, but a number of people experimented and shared their results with each other and now we have a really interesting and easy(ish) way to make potassium metal!

My channel is www.youtube.com/mrhomescientist . Thanks for coming up with a list like this!

[Edited on 1-7-2011 by MrHomeScientist]

cnidocyte - 7-1-2011 at 09:56

Good idea. I love those home chemistry videos. NurdRage is my favourite. Heres another one for the list
http://www.youtube.com/user/Basco36

hkparker - 7-1-2011 at 16:22

Yea I think handing out the credentials for a site will eventually result in a troll stealing it, NurdRage should probably run the channel as he has the most credibility on youtube. Just let me know what you need from me as far as contributions go, when were ready to launch this, and ill talk to some of the people who stay more on youtube. As for our first project?

Rogeryermaw - 7-1-2011 at 20:37

be sure to announce it. i look forward to seeing the channel if you do decide to go that route. good idea about the credentials staying with one person or within site moderation etc for security purposes.

NurdRage - 7-1-2011 at 22:14

like i said, i first want to get a little group project going. Otherwise it'll just be me vlogging about whatever science happens to catch my fancy and even I get sick of hearing myself talk.

any suggestions for topics anyone?

Let me first throw out what's on my table:

Potassium synthesis
Total synthesis of luminol
Batteries
anodes for chlorate cells
water splitting (electrolytic and non-electrolytic approaches)

hkparker - 7-1-2011 at 22:39

Total synthesis of luminol sounds cool, but I think it would be better to stick with things that, even if quite complicated, use more standard lab reagents. Not everyone can buy from Sigma Aldrich or Alfa Aesar:)

Batteries could be a good explanation, not much community work I see there. Potassium synth would be great to bring to youtube, though its already been done in length here.

Anodes for chlorate cells is a very useful topic, though I know you already did a series on MMO electrodes.

Splitting water... that gets me thinking:D. Ive seen video of thermite on ice claiming that the process splits water then re-combusts it from the heat... not sure about the truth behind that but something we could all try out and film. Ive heard the same about hosing burning magnesium (though Mg + H2O --> MgO + H2 [which then burns] sounds more likely).

Chloroform could be a good topic, but maybe not something to go so public on on youtube. Ive seen the haloform reaction in a few videos and have done in on the test tube scale and have what I think are some good ideas for it.

I dont know, what do you think?

UnintentionalChaos - 7-1-2011 at 23:10

I have a small number of videos up...I am having video editing issues, however. My camera records in AVCHD Lite and what I can get to run on Windoze XP seems to be choking on it. MPEG and similar converters distort the video due to different aspect ratios (16:9 in the HD video, 4:3 in the mpeg). Recommendations? I need something similar to windows movie maker or a workaround for the aspect ratio issue.

hkparker - 7-1-2011 at 23:17

I shoot with my phone and it shoots in .3gp, Ive found some good freeware that converts it. Id try googleing it, though im sure you already have, you might find some nice piece of freeware, other then that, im sure premier would do it.

What is your channel?

[Edited on 8-1-2011 by hkparker]

NurdRage - 7-1-2011 at 23:18

Don't know if this helps but I edit my videos on adobe premier pro CS5.

If your computer is choking just running the video then that seems to be slow hardware. You might want to upgrade your computer.

hkparker - 7-1-2011 at 23:22

hehe I used to have a baseline dell, 14MB integrated graphics adapter, enough said, didnt even support movie maker :o ...I had a hard time getting videos online

Just finished building my quad core i5 system, much better :D

Id say your computer not being able to playback is a hardware thing. Id like to learn premier because I know its super powerful. Is it hard to use?

UnintentionalChaos - 7-1-2011 at 23:40

It's not running slow because of the video, just none of the programs can run it except the camera software and one freeware program I've tried so far- and the latter can barely run it, it was designed for much small file sizes in older formats. It eats up my CPU up while trying to edit it and the output is always distorted from inability to save in HD formats

MrHomeScientist - 8-1-2011 at 11:55

@UnintentionalChaos:

I had the exact same problem with my camera - it shot in some HD format that nothing could read except the bundled camera software, which was terrible. Try Any Video Converter, that's what I used. It's freeware and worked well for me.

I use past tense because I just built a new computer, and Windows 7 is thankfully able to read my movie files. This is great because I didn't want to spend a boatload on movie editing software just to do the really basic edits I do in my videos. The conversion process takes hours, and this should shorten it drastically. I'll be posting my first video using the new machine this weekend, assuming some other problem doesn't arise.

NurdRage - 8-1-2011 at 16:54

Actually, a good topic everyone can pitch in on is chlorate cells.

Instead of a vlog exchange that can be a straight collaborative video.

kuro96inlaila - 8-1-2011 at 18:41

Quote: Originally posted by NurdRage  
Actually, a good topic everyone can pitch in on is chlorate cells.

Instead of a vlog exchange that can be a straight collaborative video.

hmm,sounds good!:)

[Edited on 9-1-2011 by kuro96inlaila]

NurdRage - 9-1-2011 at 20:19

Other topics i just thought of:

Making hydrogen - We know of hundreds of ways to make hydrogen, from dissolving metal, to electrolysis, to water gas shift reactions. A comprehensive guide would be helpful. Everybody can contribute, the lesser equipped labs can do the simpler reactions, the better equipped can do more complicated processes like photochemical water splitting.

Make fire without matches - Lots of highly exothermic reactions that catch fire, everybody can pop in a few.

hkparker - 9-1-2011 at 20:26

I'm really on board with the hydrogen plan! And fire without matches

kk

AlChemicalLife - 18-1-2011 at 01:04

im in to : )

mewrox99 - 18-1-2011 at 01:20

Here are some lesser known fire without matches suggestions.

Potassium permanagante with dimethylsulfoxide
Sodium Peroxide + paper + ice

DJF90 - 18-1-2011 at 05:37

Almost had a fire yesterday when I was messing around with superglue and shopping reciepts. I decided I was going to write on the reciept with superglue, and when I did, I noticed a darkening of the paper. In areas where excess glue was applied, bubbling was noticed with the evolution of a very small amount of smoke, at which point it was chucked in the sink with water. It may be worthy to note that the reciept was "thermal paper", which turns black when heated. Not what I expected to happen (which was nothing) and caused a bit of a suprise!

myst32 - 19-1-2011 at 20:37

Count me in... Anything to get others interested in science and away from escapism is a worthy cause indeed....

a_bab - 20-1-2011 at 01:49

Superglue is known to react with cellulose and get quite hot.

On the other hand the thermal paper is really heat sensitive (it may well darken at 100 degrees C, far from the ignition temperature (Fahrenheit 451 anyone? :D))

NurdRage - 20-1-2011 at 06:57

Does everyone want to do fire making methods for our collaborative video then?

Fleaker - 20-1-2011 at 17:27

Trioctylphosphine and a KimWipe. As it oxidizes to its oxide, much heat is produced and it can ignite.

hkparker - 20-1-2011 at 17:30

Its been done before, but sure, I'm down for anything

NurdRage - 20-1-2011 at 18:36

That's never stopped me, every one of my videos has been done before. i've never made a single original video ever. ;)

The idea behind a collaboration about fire making methods is that we do EVERYTHING*, so if possible we have 25 ways or so of making fire without matches.

such a high density of fire making methods has not been done before ;)

hkparker - 20-1-2011 at 21:10

True, its not so much originality, as quality :)

So when are we getting started?

mewrox99 - 21-1-2011 at 01:57

Propylene Glycol + Calcium Hypochlorite
Dinitrogen Tetroxide + Aniline
CaC2 + HCl + NaOCl

Liquid Chlorine + Ethanol???

Just naming a few more

NurdRage - 21-1-2011 at 02:44

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
True, its not so much originality, as quality :)

So when are we getting started?

Only person that has really confirmed they want to participate in making fire is you. everyone else is either just making suggestions or haven't confirmed.

i'll keep the suggestion open for another few days, if no one else wants to participate then i'll go to another topic.

MrHomeScientist - 21-1-2011 at 06:57

Hey I'm always up for making fire :)

I just would like to know how exactly this collab would work. Would we come up with a list of reactions, then assign one to each person that's contributing? Will this be posted under that new YouTube page you mentioned earlier?

I'd like to contribute, I'm just interested in what the process would be. Liquid chlorine + ethanol, as mewrox99 suggested, would be awesome to do. I've been meaning to make liquid chlorine for a while now, and that'd give me a good reason!

NurdRage - 21-1-2011 at 09:00

We come up with a list of reactions, and everyone does what they want to do. The video clips are sent to me and i edit together the best videos.

As for where i post them, that's going to depend on on what the contributors would like. I can post on my main channel for more exposure or i can post on the satellite channel if people prefer a more community approach.

MrHomeScientist - 21-1-2011 at 10:23

That sounds good to me, count me in.

I'd say if we plan on doing a bunch of these collab videos, they should be on a separate channel. Just to distinguish them from the rest of our own work. Regardless, all contributors should post an announcement (text or short video) directing their subscribers to where the videos end up. That way, we can introduce as many people as possible to all of our separate science channels and that way maximize chemistry awareness and interest.

NurdRage, thanks for offering your time to edit and put together the final video. I think this is a great idea, and will be a fun project!

MrHomeScientist - 21-1-2011 at 10:27

By the way, more fire producing reactions:

manganese heptoxide + ethanol (or any organic)
alkali metals + water (sort of)

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by MrHomeScientist]

hkparker - 21-1-2011 at 10:36

Hehe manganese heptoxide + ...most things :). Check out mewrox99's video with a potato chip, its awesome. Anyway maybe we should list everything were going to include here?

Also, thanks NurdRage for putting in the time for this. A exactly agree with MrHomeScientist on the whole dedicated channel thing.

MrHomeScientist - 21-1-2011 at 10:54

Haha wow! That was amazing. I'm surprised he's got solid Mn2O7 lying around - I'd be scared to store that stuff.

That video reminded me of way back in high school chemistry when we saw a gummy bear erupt in flames in potassium perchlorate. Hey there's another idea right there :)

hkparker - 21-1-2011 at 11:06

I think he just made it on the spot with sulfuric acid and potassium permanganate. You couldn't pay me to store it haha

a_bab - 23-1-2011 at 06:57

Related to manganese heptoxide: just try to press a cork (made of actual cork) into a thin layer the oily stuff (in order to avoid splashes that can set yourself in fire): it creates little explosions and dents in the cork. Very impressive indeed, more so then any other "manganese heptoxide stuff".

NurdRage - 26-1-2011 at 20:27

Since i got 2 people confirming they want to collaborate on making fire i suppose its time to get started.

I'll open another thread in the miscellaneous section of sciencemadness to request compositions and organize the video. This collaboration isn't a legal or societal issue :)

hkparker - 26-1-2011 at 20:49

Make that 3, I know Myst32YT wants to help too

myst32 - 27-1-2011 at 22:21

Yep, count me in... Are we doing simple to complex?

NurdRage - 28-1-2011 at 08:35

welcome

i've posted the topic in the miscellaneous section of science madness. we can discuss compositions and organize ourselves there.

chemx01 - 25-6-2011 at 13:24

Hi,
I've recently upgraded my lab and bought a new camera so i'm trying to post new videos on youtube.
Mainly organic snythesis but sometimes some interesting experiment such as barking dog and so on, so check out my chanel if you like:
http://www.youtube.com/chemx01

jon - 25-6-2011 at 23:45

chemx01, what is n-phenylanthranilic acid useful for?
i saw the youtube i like your setup very nice job on that synth.

hkparker - 25-6-2011 at 23:49

I have really liked your recent videos chemx01, keep it up!

chemx01 - 26-6-2011 at 00:35

Thank you very much for kind words, i'll try to keep it up, i'll post the synthesis of Acridone today. (hopefully, if it's dry)

jon: The N-phenylanthranilic acid will be used for making Acridone which will be then used to make Lucigenin-green fluorescent dye.

[Edited on 26-6-2011 by chemx01]

[Edited on 26-6-2011 by chemx01]

ScienceHideout - 8-8-2011 at 09:47

My youtube channel--- link in the sig! :D

Chemistry Alchemist - 3-10-2011 at 18:38

Ive got a pretty good youtube channel, mostly inorganic chemistry with some oother random videos

www.youtube.com/user/toothpick93

Hexavalent - 31-12-2011 at 15:39

98JMA

UnintentionalChaos - 1-1-2012 at 08:12

I suppose I should officially list my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/UC235

White Yeti - 4-1-2012 at 13:59

I have a youtube channel, but it's not really dedicated to chemistry per say. I'd say it's dedicated more to the silly batteries and stirling engines I make. I'll post a link if anyone is interested, but my youtube channel is nothing extraordinary.

Magpie - 4-1-2012 at 15:37

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
I suppose I should officially list my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/UC235

Wonderful videos... highly recommended. And he does it all safely without a hood.

jamit - 6-3-2012 at 00:32

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

I just have to highlight the fact that your youtube channel is one of the best. thanks for putting it on youtube!

99chemicals - 16-7-2012 at 16:04

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
I have a youtube channel, but it's not really dedicated to chemistry per say. I'd say it's dedicated more to the silly batteries and stirling engines I make. I'll post a link if anyone is interested, but my youtube channel is nothing extraordinary.

What is the name of your channel? I have always found peoples homemade stuff like that very interesting. (Mostly because I can not make that stuff.)

I feel kind of lonely on the forum. Nobody on it has ever really commented about my channel. I have put a lot of work into it and It is moderately successful for only existing for around 10 months.

I try to include safety info in every video without making the videos boring. I also try to do original content.
My channel is ad free.

ParadoxChem126 - 24-6-2013 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by 99chemicals  

I feel kind of lonely on the forum. Nobody on it has ever really commented about my channel.

Nice channel with quality videos!:)

ParadoxChem126 - 24-6-2013 at 09:15

My channel is Paradox Home Chemistry. I only have a few videos out now, but I plan to make more!

chemcam - 24-6-2013 at 23:15

Wow, you are very young! Don't burn your face off.

In your signature you say "check us out" do you have a lab rat or something?

Tdep - 25-6-2013 at 02:16

I expect quite a few negative comments from you guys about my channel but what the hell:

www.youtube.com/user/ExplosionsAndFire

Ok, so we're a bit 'kewl' and a little unsafe but we (especially me) do a lot more behind the scenes chemistry than what shown here, my love for chemistry goes beyond organic peroxides! Just saying!

But I guess it's just target audience, we never wanted to be a tutorial channel but more a fun channel doing some cool stuff for people who aren't experts in chemistry (like everyone here it seems...). Mainly popular experiments, hopefully some more novel stuff being filmed in the next few weeks. :)

Also, a sidenote, please dont watch the phosphorus video, it's 12 minutes of nothing, no idea how it gets views haha. I'm sure you'll dislike our method, yield, apparatus and pretty much everything about it haha

[Edited on 25-6-2013 by Tdep]

chemcam - 25-6-2013 at 08:28

Negative comments? I didn't see any recently, what video? I don't have any problems with what you do, I see you wear a facemask, big ear muffs, gloves and even a gas mask when required. I don't even own a gas mask but I do have a small fumehood.

Only video that made me a little nervous was the newest one on MEKP. Youre right it's better than AP but when your MEK is industrial grade it may very well have metal impurities and we all know metal in liquid explosives is dangerous. I recommend distilling your MEK which will also yield colorless product.

ParadoxChem126 - 25-6-2013 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
In your signature you say "check us out" do you have a lab rat or something?

I suppose my dad supervises the more complex experiments, but I don't know if he would be considered a lab rat...:)
I think I'll change my signature...

My first good chemistry video

rocketsurgeon - 5-8-2013 at 19:36

Hey guys this is my first good chemistry video so check it out and give me feedback.

mini barking dog demonstration

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by rocketsurgeon]

Morgan - 6-8-2013 at 08:58

Something in common.
Barking Dog (slow motion) - Periodic Table of Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3fJRRCAIdk#t=2m6s
Jam Jar Pulse Jet Schlieren
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LQ94pjUWE

cool

rocketsurgeon - 6-8-2013 at 09:49

I've seen the periodic table of videos one but i haven't seen the other one.

and i have another video out :)

calcium metal in water

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by rocketsurgeon]

Hexavalent - 6-8-2013 at 11:04

Firstly, I disapprove of new members creating new threads simply to advertise their YouTube channels. Secondly, I this is not the conventional "barking dog" reaction, but the simple vapour-phase combustion of an alcohol, presumably ethanol; you fail to explain any of the science behind this, and thus I would not classify this as a "good" "video". Thirdly, I would advise you not to conduct this reaction in a volumetric flask which you may later use for quantitative work, as heating the glass naturally expands it, causing it to cool relatively unpredictably, which ultimately affects the accuracy of the flask.

Pyro - 6-8-2013 at 11:57

I agree with Hex on the first part, but not on the second. The temperature of burning alcohol is not that high and the time of exposure so short that the chance of it affecting the glass is practically nonexistent.

For extra WOW effect add H3BO3 to the alcohol, it makes it green!

bfesser - 6-8-2013 at 12:53

<strong>Hexavalent</strong>, I'll merge this into an existing thread. As for the flask, it's not like it's a serialized Class A from a top manufacturer&mdash;that's the Bomex logo (Chinex).

Morgan - 6-8-2013 at 21:12

I once toyed with a similarly shaped 800 ml Kjeldahl flask and methanol to see how it would bark. I entertained the thought of buying one made of quartz but they're awfully pricey. It would be nice to not have to worry about heat stress, say if you could design something in quartz for sustained barking while visually appealing. http://www.technicalglass.com/product_pages/fused_quartz_lab...

In cool dry air methanol will produce a cracking bark using a typical closed at one end tube. I used to delight in the sound a ~3 cm wide by 50 cm long cylindrical pipe would make by sealing one end with my hand or rubber stopper and lighting the open end with a flame, the pipe held somewhat horizontally. The sharp crack is quite sudden and much louder than one might suspect. The pipe can be quickly refreshed and lit again a few times using the residual/unspent alcohol coating the inside of the tube. I recall trying a copper pipe as well with a flare on the end which made brilliant green flashes of light, along with an almost hurts your ears bark, the first few times beautiful before the patina was used up. If you've played with methanol a lot, you find it really gets perky in stoichiometric cool dry air.
One other very loud effect was brought about by unscrewing the head off of a small pulsejet I have, a Dynajet with a 2.5 inch combustion chamber necking down to a 1.25 inch exhaust pipe. Without the head the length is about 19 inches. I would coat the inside walls with methanol, hold the flat of my hand over the wide front end and light the tailpipe producing a very energetic bark. The flame front so brief, my hand never sensed much heat.

Tidbit of history and hopefully the story not too worn out yet.
"As I Looked around after the terrible explosion in the room where the audience sat, and saw the blood running from the faces of Queen Therese and Prince Luitpold, my horror was indescribable; I was half dead. Fortunately, the accident had no further unpleasant consequences. their Majesties behaved in a noble and high-minded way, and all of their concern seemed to focus itself only on me. The Queen sent her personal physician to me that very evening, and every day their majesties inquired with respect to my health. Old King Ludwig himself came the next day and asked if my wound was serious, and when I said No he exclaimed: Then everything is all right; so long as nothing happened to you, the rest is nothing..."
http://www1.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights/texts/expt_22.html

I liked the hydrogen/chlorine "flame"/high-speed barking dog scenario here - somewhat exotic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVyAAkYwXk
Here methanol and pure oxygen seem a bit too perky for barking in a long glass tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umgjXTe3SWg

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by Morgan]

Gooferking Science - 21-8-2013 at 17:49

My channel is in my signature.

Heuteufel - 12-10-2013 at 15:43

Here is my Channel: Heuteufels Channel

TheChemiKid - 21-12-2013 at 04:48

I have a youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/TheChemiKid

bismuthate - 21-12-2013 at 04:57

Funny I was just watching one of your videos when you made that post. Great channel!
Also should there be a SM youtube channel for all collabratory videos and such?

TheChemiKid - 21-12-2013 at 07:53

I am willing to be a collabratory channel.

TheChemiKid - 23-12-2013 at 10:07

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
yay for promoting youtube scientists! I got started on the youtube community before I come on sciencemadness, talking frequently with Myst32YT, Mewrox99, Alchemical garden, among other, and recently there has been a push from us youtubers to come here! Please check out my channel, www.youtube.com/user/hkparker, ive been doing it for about 6 months.

Have you stopped making videos? It has been more than a year since you have uploaded a video.