Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Tourist/sightseeing places related to chemistry

fusso - 18-5-2019 at 18:27

Share tourist/sightseeing places related to chemistry here!
Definition of "related to chemistry": it must contain significant amount of chemical species/reaction/phenomenon/mineral(s) which are unusual to see in nature.

Examples:
1. Ijen volcano, Indonesia (blue fire from burning S from the sulphur mine and the largest highly acidic crater lake)
2. Ytterby, Sweden (the village which named 4 elements)

DraconicAcid - 18-5-2019 at 18:40

In Wurzburg, Germany, they have the Roentgen museum, where X-rays were discovered. It's just a few rooms in the university- you just walk in and look around. The Alchemy Museum in Prague, on the other hand, is more about pulling in tourist dollars than anything else (it was hilarious to see modern glassware with 24/40 joints in the alchemy display, though).

Magpie - 18-5-2019 at 20:03

In Soda Springs, ID, you can see trucks dumping yellow hot liquid CaSiO4 over a cliff. This is a waste product of making phosphorus.

unionised - 19-5-2019 at 01:13

One day I might get round to visiting Strontian- the only place in the UK with an element named after it.

Abromination - 21-5-2019 at 11:07

The Griffith Observatory in LA is amazing, it has a large interactive periodic table with some amazing samples, mineral and pure. It has quite a few other chemistry related exhibits, I would recommend looking it up.

mayko - 21-5-2019 at 14:10

Cable Street, London: The site of William Perkin's home lab, where mauveine was first synthesized.

WGTR - 21-5-2019 at 14:59

This looks like a fun place to visit:

https://www.environment.no/topics/the-cultural-heritage/worl...

https://www.visitrjukan.com/de/theme/rjukan-and-notodden-on-...

If you get bored with the chemistry behind it, there's always the beauty of the scenery to enjoy.

j_sum1 - 21-5-2019 at 17:14

I visited here a few months ago. It is as spectacular as the photos show.
1544406263842.jpg - 80kB

Lots going on from a chemistry point of view but unfortunately only lip-service given to it in any of the information provided. (Statements like, "The colours come from iron, chromium, vanadium and sulfur".)

Ubya - 21-5-2019 at 22:34

the first picture is surreal, looks like a cartoony chemical/radioactive waste pond, sooo cool j_sum1:D

fusso - 22-5-2019 at 04:39

@jsum so wheres that?

j_sum1 - 22-5-2019 at 05:41

Wai o tapu valley, just south of Rotorua, New Zealand.
Part of a network of geothermally active regions including the Rotorua volcanic region, Okataina supervolcano and Taupo supervolcano with its 40 km diameter caldera.

There is quite a lot going on there.

Daffodile - 22-5-2019 at 06:36

During a trip to Hawaii with family some years ago I recall some of the vents on the southern side of the big island being just totally encrusted with sometimes quite large sulfur crystals. Very interesting! Obviously does not justify a trip on its own, but was still neat to visit while there.

karlos³ - 22-5-2019 at 12:05

So volcanic areas are very interesting to anorganic interested chemists?
Historical places where something happened/was done are probably the only thing left specifically of interest for the organic chemist?
Good that I live in the country where organic chemistry was invented, sadly that many of these places don't exist anymore "thanks" to the bombings :(

[Edited on 07-5-1945 by karlos³]

[Edited on 22-5-2019 by karlos³]

yobbo II - 31-5-2019 at 03:38

Alchemists gate, rome

Ubya - 31-5-2019 at 07:10

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  
Alchemists gate, rome

Living in Rome and never having heard of it, ops
But it doesn't follow the definition fusso gave for "chemistry related"

yobbo II - 2-6-2019 at 17:52

It's there or there abouts !?