Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Drano uses?

Daffodile - 7-6-2019 at 18:41

A neighbor has left dozens of drano containers in their yard, does anyone know what they might be up to?

Metacelsus - 7-6-2019 at 23:02

NaOH is a component of the "shake and bake" meth production method.
Or maybe they're dissolving some corpses.

RogueRose - 8-6-2019 at 01:15

I'd have to see the bottles. Are they liquid bottles or are they powder bottles? I know of about 5 different drano formulas and it would really depend on which product it is as to what it could be used for. It could be something as simple as making soap, engine degreasing or lots of other things. It's also possible it's H2O2 as they have/had that as a "green" product for a while, and that could be used for a lot of things as well.

Can you describe the size, shape and color of the bottle? Try to find a picture online that matches it, shouldn't be hard.

draculic acid69 - 8-6-2019 at 07:17

You think its possible that they had a blocked drain?

XeonTheMGPony - 8-6-2019 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
You think its possible that they had a blocked drain?

1 to 2 bottle would fix that

meth my vote

Deathunter88 - 8-6-2019 at 20:26

I wouldn't jump to the meth conclusion without seeing any containers of other chemicals used in its production.

My vote is for soap and/or biodiesel.

Assured Fish - 8-6-2019 at 20:51

Maybe they are an amateur chemist using the NaOH to make a lot of concetrated sodium hypochlorite for haloform reactions and the likes.
Or maybe they are upscaling nurdrages method for making a lifetime supply of sodium metal.

Vomaturge - 8-6-2019 at 21:46

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
I wouldn't jump to the meth conclusion without seeing any containers of other chemicals used in its production.

My vote is for soap and/or biodiesel.

This.
My original thought was that they tried to unclog a drain multiple times without any luck, or were thinking "forget the directions, more must be better". But deathunter88's suggestion seems more probable, IMO. I can't imagine drug cooks or general hobby chemists working on such a scale.

[Edited on 9-6-2019 by Vomaturge]

RogueRose - 9-6-2019 at 06:55

No one has even mentioned that it could be H2SO4, which is a distinct possibility. If it is this, then maybe he's using it for what others here use it for.

highpower48 - 9-6-2019 at 07:08

Soap making

SWIM - 9-6-2019 at 08:15

Perhaps they're using it to hydrolise fats they steal from liposuction clinics to make expensive custom soaps so they can sell rich people's fat back to them at a huge profit and are then using the leftover glycerine to make nitro so they can use it to blow up every bank and large financial institution in town.

Or maybe they're making a big batch of lutefisk.

happyfooddance - 9-6-2019 at 23:33

Why don't you ask them?

Abromination - 13-6-2019 at 20:55

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
No one has even mentioned that it could be H2SO4, which is a distinct possibility. If it is this, then maybe he's using it for what others here use it for.

Drano does not use sulfuric acid in any if its drain cleaner formulas.

draculic acid69 - 15-6-2019 at 07:16

SWIM they were selling rich people's fat ASSES back to them.it was beautiful.
you just left the best part out.

SWIM - 15-6-2019 at 15:08

Yup, I sure did.
Haven't seen that movie in many years, but I have been meaning to get a copy and watch it again.

Some guy borrowed my copy.
I think his name was Robert Paulson...