Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Synthesis of longer chain tertiary alcohols

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Velzee - 26-8-2016 at 06:34

So, we've got a source of alpha-terpineol. What's our next step, blogfast? Or, at least, what progress have you/we achieved?

Alice - 26-8-2016 at 07:07

After reduction of the double bond a possible substitute for tBuOH is obtained, which is sterically more demanding and has a higher boiling point. The double bond, if not reduced, may lead to decomposition/polymerization. Maybe it's worth a trial using alpha-terpineol directly and look what happens.

blogfast25 - 26-8-2016 at 17:10

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  
So, we've got a source of alpha-terpineol. What's our next step, blogfast? Or, at least, what progress have you/we achieved?

Most of the work done so far (on pinenes) was done by aga (under my direction) and is reported higher up in the thread. Poor health and other issues mean I won't be touching a test tube until about 2017.

Guess I'm looking for someone to carry the torch? Interested? :)

blogfast25 - 26-8-2016 at 17:13

Quote: Originally posted by Alice  
After reduction of the double bond a possible substitute for tBuOH is obtained, which is sterically more demanding and has a higher boiling point. The double bond, if not reduced, may lead to decomposition/polymerization. Maybe it's worth a trial using alpha-terpineol directly and look what happens.

All of that is discussed higher up, including using neat alpha-pinene and hydrogenation of the relevant carbinol. Worth taking a gander, IMO. Certainly our 'blueprints' were sound but execution met with numerous problems. :):D;)

Personally I'm still very interested in developing a much better catalyst for the reduction of KOH with Mg in paraffinic media. And for NaOH/Mg, of course!

Any assistance remains appreciated.

[Edited on 27-8-2016 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 26-8-2016 at 17:19

The pinene related stuff starts getting interesting from about here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15171&...

[Edited on 27-8-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 28-8-2016 at 07:21

Today's 'progress' was yet another failure to create chloral as a precursor to trichloroacetic acid, which supposedly catalyses the pinene reaction.

20 hours and 260 litres of chlorine later ...

rig.JPG - 53kB

gas gen.JPG - 63kB

twophase.JPG - 52kB

The resulting 2-phase liquid was heated to 80C on a water bath (to drive off any remaining ethanol & dissolved chlorine), then had an equal volume of conc sulphuric acid added.

The liquid remained biphasic, so they were separated, then the upper layer was weighed and had a stoichiometric amount of water added.

This just made it wet.

No crystals, nothing.

blogfast25 - 28-8-2016 at 15:57

@aga:

Welcome back!

Let's recap before we carry on.

Soon!

Alice - 28-8-2016 at 17:28

I had a look at a paper mentioned previously:

"Synthesis of terpineol from α-pinene by homogeneous acid catalysis"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0920586105...

In the abstract chloroacetic acid and HCl are mentionend, but in the paper acetic acid, and oxalic acid as well.

Reaction conditions for oxalic acid:

4 h, 70 °C, 0.6 mol water, 0.25 mol alpha-pinene, 0.43 mol oxalic acid:

Conversion: 39.8 %

Selectivity: 60.8 %

=> 24% yield

My intuition says the numbers have an error, because there is a strong trend of increasing conversion for 0.03, 0.11, 0.22, and for 0.43 mol oxalic acid conversion is reported lower than for 0.22 which seems unlikely.

[Edited on 29-8-2016 by Alice]

aga - 29-8-2016 at 08:26

Getting the reaction mixture anywhere near homogenous was really hard.

At one point i even added a few drops of detergent to try to break the oil up.

blogfast25 - 29-8-2016 at 09:36

Can you summarise that last run?

aga - 29-8-2016 at 09:39

I'll go and dig thru the notes.

Will take a little time.

aga - 29-8-2016 at 12:20

OK. Trawled thru a pile of random notebooks and cannot find as much info as there is in this thread about what i did.

Reading it all (again) i think i simply ballsed up the whole thing due to inexperience.

Most likely errors appear to be :-

Lack of detailed notes (!)
Poor Mixing technique.
Inadequate Temperature control.
Impure reagents.
Poor Lab hygiene.
Careless Handling.

By sheer luck there were some (very few) crystals after the first attempt.

I suggest we go back to the start with a slightly more experienced operator and try that procedure again.

If Alice (and anyone else interested) would also please try it, then we can compare notes.

[Edited on 29-8-2016 by aga]

blogfast25 - 29-8-2016 at 15:19

@aga:

Do we have a plan?

Alice - 30-8-2016 at 03:23

Aga, can you remember how you achieved crystallization?

Considering the reported tiny amount of water being very near the molar range of oxalic acid, this might have a considerable impact on the reaction. After having had a closer look the example I was wondering about, lower conversion but more oxalic acid than the following shows something else:

4 h, 70 °C, 0.6 mol water, 0.25 mol alpha-pinene, 0.22 mol oxalic acid:

Conversion: 53.4 %

Selectivity: 64 %

What I've ignored is the fact that the difference isn't just the oxalic acid amount but the altered oxalic acid : water ratio. 1 : 1.4 vs. 1 : 2.7. Additionally the authors mention, the reaction to proceed mainly at the pinene/water interface due to bad solubility. So, why not enlarging the interface by using more of the more favorable ratio, i.e. 0.43 mol oxalic acid with 1.16 mol H2O? It is strange, that the reaction stops at 53.4% conversion isn't it? More interesting, the product doesn't really decompose after a prolonged heating time.

Anyhow, the reaction goes probably better the finer oxalic acid is ground.

My suggestion is:

2 h, 70 °C, 0.3 mol water, 0.25 mol alpha-pinene, 0.43 mol oxalic acid dihydrate.

How is the plan for reduction of the double bond?

[Edited on 30-8-2016 by Alice]

aga - 30-8-2016 at 05:59

Aga, can you remember how you achieved crystallization?

The 'product' was just left to stand overnight and there were a few crystals the next day.

blogfast25 - 30-8-2016 at 10:19

How is the plan for reduction of the double bond?

Assuming the unsaturated carbinol (2,2-dimethyl something unsaturated-2-ol), pictured in the pic of this post of the thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15171&...

... can be obtained in sufficient quantity then I believe that hydrogenation with Pd/C catalyst and ammonium formate must be possible and quite easy to perform.

The right hand side carbinol is the one to be hydrogenated:

carbinol.png - 40kB

[Edited on 30-8-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 30-8-2016 at 11:27

Not got any Pd/C catalyst, but then, not got past just having a bottle of turps at the moment.

Running a Cl2 generator for many hours to get nothing useful was a big waste of time (not to mention the cleanup time !).

No oxalic acid here, so are there any other possible catalysts that i might have ?

If not, maybe better to just attempt the synth on page 9 again (starting with the fractional distillation on page 8, of course ).

aga - 30-8-2016 at 12:06

Astonishing !

In a book published around 140 years ago, oxalic acid was produced by heating pine sawdust with KOH/NaOH, citing an earlier ref to 'Thorn' (no date given).

1:2 ratio pine:KOH, heat to 250 C with stirring, lixiviate etc.

Page 199, Manual of chemical technology, Rudolf von Wagner, Johannes Rudolf, 1822-1880.

https://archive.org/details/manualofchemical00wagnuoft

Found a few methods on utoob using sugar and HNO3, but the sheer volume of NOx produced makes them a LOT less attractive.

Pine and KOH/NaOH i have, so time for some chainsaw action.

(maybe the bench drill would be better so no lube oil gets in the sawdust)

OK, so may as well give Alice's method a whirl.

Alice - 30-8-2016 at 14:42

Oxalic acid is available in hardware stores for rust removal and as optical brightener for wood.

Pd/C is unavailable for me too as well as any kind of platinum catalysts, raney nickel. What seems available is urushiba nickel, but I'm afraid it's way too weak.
Seems like a deadlock, even if it would be performed by someone it remains difficult to access.

I think I'll go back to camphor with some oranozinc reagent and hope for less reduction product. :)

@aga, I like these old methods!

[Edited on 30-8-2016 by Alice]

blogfast25 - 30-8-2016 at 14:51

Pd/C is unavailable for me too as well as any kind of platinum catalysts, raney nickel. What seems available is urushiba nickel, but I'm afraid it's way too weak.
Seems like a deadlock, even if it would be performed by someone it remains difficult to access.

Nah. Get it from eBay, Amazon or prepare it yourself. Not hard at all.

aga - 30-8-2016 at 15:06

Erm, given that is an Amateur attempt, and that we got some (very few) crystals once, i'd suggest we do that procedure again, more carefully.

What 'carefully' means is also unknown, so any suggestions welcome.

Presumably Alice will also be conducting the experiment, which will be very useful in determining the best way to go.

It's still 37 C here in the day, which is why i suspect temperature control in all OC synths is one of the Key factors to 'getting it right'.

(cite: multiple chloral synths in summer failing and one when it was cooler getting at least a solid)

CuReUS - 30-8-2016 at 23:33

Why not get limonene instead of terpineol and then add two moles of H2O to it to get a diol
the more OH on the molecule,the better ;)
how to extract limonene from orange peels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CBXkfVHDc

aga - 30-8-2016 at 23:52

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  
Why not get limonene instead of terpineol and then add two moles of H2O to it to get a diol
the more OH on the molecule,the better ;)

Limonene extraction looks easy enough.

Any references for 'adding mols of water to limonene to get a diol' ?

Alice - 31-8-2016 at 00:43

@CuReUS

If double hydration on limonene would work, it would work on terpineol as well, right?

I'm not convinced about "the more OH the better" because the goal is good solubility of the corresponding alkoxide in alkanes. The only way I can imagine a diol might work is one that has chelating properties, like 1,4-diethyl-1,4-dihydroxycyclohexane which might form a soluble dimer or something similar as an alkoxide.

Alice - 31-8-2016 at 03:43

Quote:
Nah. Get it from eBay, Amazon or prepare it yourself. Not hard at all.

@blogfast, I don't have what could be called a lab, a fume hood, inert atmosphere, and so on. Unavailable means, I had to buy all the stuff and equipement too including a house with a cellar, a garage, a garden or whatever and that's simply too much. :D

[Edited on 31-8-2016 by Alice]

blogfast25 - 31-8-2016 at 06:53

@CuReUS:

We don't need a diol. We need a 2,2-dimethyl something-2-ol.

@aga:

Limonene has been considered. Buy it pure on eBay, cheap as chips. Just about every toilet cleaner/oven cleaner/bathroom cleaner/etc contains it, it gives these concoctions its 'natural' (LOL) citrussy odour.

Will revisit the possibility of turning this into a 2,2-dimethyl something-2-ol. Hydration of limonene leads to a mixture of terpineol isomer though. Hard to separate.

Memory lane:

Here's the original post in which I proposed an OC research project for aga:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62973&...

Halcyon days...
<hr>

Having said all that I'm now inclined to 'cut out the middleman' and purchase the alpha-terpineol:

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6228-terpineol-alpha.... (thanks Alice!)

And play with that.

* Characterise
* Attempt to hydrogenate (Pd/C + ammonium formate)
* Attempt to isomerise to tetrahydro myrcenol (2,6-dimethyloctan-2-ol)

[Edited on 31-8-2016 by blogfast25]

Texium - 31-8-2016 at 07:21

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Personally I very much like the idea of a 2-methyl-2-alkanol with total chain length around C10. These could be Grignarded with MeMgBr on linear long chain alkanoates, with ‘alka ≈ C10’. They would have the same ‘active site’ (2-methyl-2ol) as t-butanol but a medium-long paraffinic tail for solubility in alkanes/napthenics.
Not sure if this is still relevant as I haven't read every page of this thread, but I have the materials to make such an alcohol, 2-methyl-2-octanol, by the Grignard reaction of 2-octanone (which I made previously) and methylmagnesium iodide. Longer chain options that aren't 2-methyl-2-ols but could be prepared just as easily include 3-methyl-3-nonanol (substitute ethylmagnesium iodide) and 4-methyl-4-decanol (substitute n-propylmagnesium bromide).

aga - 31-8-2016 at 07:29

Oh, still very relevant - we've failed to make anything so far !

Please, dive into the synth immediately and see what you get.

It'd be great if you could post a link to a ref, or even an outline of the process.

I'll try to copy it if i have the reagents.

blogfast25 - 31-8-2016 at 07:32

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Personally I very much like the idea of a 2-methyl-2-alkanol with total chain length around C10. These could be Grignarded with MeMgBr on linear long chain alkanoates, with ‘alka ≈ C10’. They would have the same ‘active site’ (2-methyl-2ol) as t-butanol but a medium-long paraffinic tail for solubility in alkanes/napthenics.
Not sure if this is still relevant as I haven't read every page of this thread, but I have the materials to make such an alcohol, 2-methyl-2-octanol, by the Grignard reaction of 2-octanone (which I made previously) and methylmagnesium iodide. Longer chain options that aren't 2-methyl-2-ols but could be prepared just as easily include 3-methyl-3-nonanol (substitute ethylmagnesium iodide) and 4-methyl-4-decanol (substitute n-propylmagnesium bromide).

I've since come back a little bit from the C10 requirement, which I fear may be a little too long.

Understand the function of the carbinol catalyst in the reduction of KOH by Mg (powder, filings). The t-alcohol side of things is the reactive side, forming the K alkanoate (KOR). The dangling alkyl group R is supposed to provide solubility in the alkane solvent. So far, so simple.

I fear that too long alkyl groups may reduce reaction speed due to steric hindrance. For that reason, my ideal candidate would be around C6, in my current thinking.

The simple truth is that this is all guestimated speculation and that we simply will never know without testing the candidate catalyst in a real experiment.

Who knows. Maybe a C10 is the answer to all problems? Test, test, test!

[Edited on 31-8-2016 by blogfast25]

Texium - 31-8-2016 at 07:37

@aga: I might try it this weekend when I'm home. I don't know yet, as there's a lot of other stuff that I want to do, but it would make a good video.

I've since come back a little bit from the C10 requirement, which I fear may be a little too long.

Understand the function of the carbinol catalyst in the reduction of KOH by Mg (powder, filings). The t-alcohol side of things is the reactive side, forming the K alkanoate (KOR). The dangling alkyl group R is supposed to provide solubility in the alkane solvent. So far, so simple.

I fear that too long alkyl groups may reduce reaction speed due to steric hindrance. For that reason, my ideal candidate would be around C6, in my current thinking.

The simple truth is that this is all guestimated speculation and that we simply will never know without testing the candidate catalyst in a real experiment.

Who knows. Maybe a C10 is the answer to all problems? Test, test, test!
In that case, I think that C8 would be a good place to start, especially since it would be in the 2-methyl-2-ol form. I could prepare the other two that I mentioned and compare, though I would probably have to prepare more 2-octanone to do this, and it would take considerably longer because of that and the fact that my lab time is very limited now. This weekend if everything goes to plan, I'll prepare methyl iodide and do the Grignard. I'll record it and edit the footage over the next week.

[Edited on 8-31-2016 by zts16]

Alice - 31-8-2016 at 08:40

Quote:
Having said all that I'm now inclined to 'cut out the middleman' and purchase the alpha-terpineol (thanks Alice!)

You're welcome, but before you order have a look at those two:

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6061-dimetol-g.aspx

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6058-dimethyl-phenyl-e...

[Edited on 31-8-2016 by Alice]

CuReUS - 1-9-2016 at 04:32

@CuReUS:
We don't need a diol. We need a 2,2-dimethyl something-2-ol.

I don't mean to be rude but even after going through the whole thread I still don't know what you need.There are talks about turps,TCCA,chloral,banana oil,camphor,limonene,cat repellent.And no one had been able to prepare any of the above mentioned compounds to test whether they work at all !!!
so saying that "we don't need a diol" would be going a bit far,don't you think ? ,when you don't even know if the tert-OH would work or not ?
Quote:
Having said all that I'm now inclined to 'cut out the middleman' and purchase the alpha-terpineol:

do you have a reference for that ?
I found two references for the hydrogenation of terpineol. Both the papers are by the same author but both the articles are in german.:(
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jlac.19113810105/... - "colloidal Pd" on pg 69
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jlac.19144030107/... - "Pd catalyst " on pg 101
I had another question. Suppose you started with limonene,you could put the OH on the side chain to make terpineol and reduce the cyclic double bond or you could reduce the alkene side chain and put the OH on the ring.
would doing the latter give any advantage over the former ?

blogfast25 - 1-9-2016 at 05:10

I. [...] ,when you don't even know if the tert-OH would work or not ?
Quote:

do you have a reference for that ?
I found two references for the hydrogenation of terpineol. Both the papers are by the same author but both the articles are in german.:(
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jlac.19113810105/... - "colloidal Pd" on pg 69
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jlac.19144030107/... - "Pd catalyst " on pg 101

II. I had another question. Suppose you started with limonene,you could put the OH on the side chain to make terpineol and reduce the cyclic double bond or you could reduce the alkene side chain and put the OH on the ring.
would doing the latter give any advantage over the former ?

I. We have two t-alcohols that work as catalysts in KOH/Mg reactions, both tried and tested: t-butanol and 2-methyl-butan-2-ol. We also know why these work. So we logically assume that longer chain alcohols with the same type of reactive site will work too.

Primary diols BTW wouldn't last in that cauldron, just like primary and secondary alcohols don't. Only t-alcohols are stable enough, in these high temp. alkaline conditions.

II. Hydration of limonene mostly puts the OH in the side-group. The remaining double bound (in the ring) could be hydrogenated or cracked open to give a longer t-alcohol.

Thanks for the hydrogenation links! :) I have plenty references for Pd/C+ammonium formate hydrogenations of simple molecules, it's a very effective method.

[Edited on 1-9-2016 by blogfast25]

CuReUS - 1-9-2016 at 22:10

Primary diols BTW wouldn't last in that cauldron, just like primary and secondary alcohols don't. Only t-alcohols are stable enough, in these high temp. alkaline conditions.
II. Hydration of limonene mostly puts the OH in the side-group

I understand the confusion now.By diol I had meant a molecule with two OH groups attached to it,not two OH groups adjacent to each other like a glycol
what I meant by double hydration of limonene was putting two molecules of water in limonene,one on the side chain double bond and the other on the ring double bond to get 2 t-butyl OH groups !!!
the name of the compound formed after double hydration of limonene is 1,8-terpin ( CAS no-80-53-5) http://www.chemblink.com/products/80-53-5.htm
I have found a reference to do just that but I can't find the article,so pls find it someone:(

ref - Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Seances de l'Academie des Sciences, , vol. 89, p. 361

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by CuReUS]

Alice - 2-9-2016 at 00:11

@CuReUS.

Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des Sciences:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb343481087/date

Texium - 4-9-2016 at 13:29

I made methyl iodide today, so I'm all set for the Grignard, and could do it tomorrow. However, the humidity in my lab right now is about 70%, so it may not be prudent.

IMG_6742.jpg - 1.8MB

aga - 4-9-2016 at 14:14

Prudence is for Business or Politics.

If the yield is low, you already got a reason why.

Go for it zts16 !

Texium - 4-9-2016 at 14:21

But also, if the yield is low I'll end up wasting two valuable reagents that I had to make myself, and then I'll have a lot of work to do before I have a chance to try again. I want to have enough 2-methyl-2-octanol to allow for a couple of tries at the sodium reaction.

blogfast25 - 4-9-2016 at 15:07

But also, if the yield is low I'll end up wasting two valuable reagents that I had to make myself, and then I'll have a lot of work to do before I have a chance to try again. I want to have enough 2-methyl-2-octanol to allow for a couple of tries at the sodium reaction.

Unless you have experience with the KOH/Mg reduction with the standard catalyst (t-butanol) it would be prudent to evaluate the 'new' carbinol back-to-back with t-butanol. The reduction has defied some of our best experimeters, notably garagechemist who had several fails before getting K. A 'negative' with the new catalyst may thus not necessarily be meaningful.

Texium - 4-9-2016 at 15:54

I totally agree. In fact, yesterday I went on eBay and ordered some t-butanol so that I could try the potassium version of the reaction myself and become comfortable with it before I begin playing with sodium.

blogfast25 - 4-9-2016 at 16:28

I totally agree. In fact, yesterday I went on eBay and ordered some t-butanol so that I could try the potassium version of the reaction myself and become comfortable with it before I begin playing with sodium.

Excellent. Thanks for getting this thread moving again.

If your longer carbinol works for K then it certainly would be worth trying for NaOH/Mg.

[Edited on 5-9-2016 by blogfast25]

Texium - 24-9-2016 at 13:11

I'm happy to say that today I finally got around to running the Grignard, and have successfully prepared almost 5 mL of what should be 2-methyl-2-octanol.

I also recently received a liter of t-butanol from eBay, so now I can try the control reaction that we're all familiar with to make sure that I'm able to get it to work before I start experimenting with the new alcohol.

aga - 24-9-2016 at 14:40

Coool !

Photos ! Write-up !

Any difficulties with it or was it do-able for most of us ?

Texium - 24-9-2016 at 14:48

As I previously said I would, I recorded the reaction. A video will be posted to YouTube once the editing is completed, probably later this week.

It was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated.

aga - 24-9-2016 at 15:18

So, el Gringo is actually not the big bad hard-ass it's Rep says it is ?

C'mon. Details dude !

OK. A proper write-up would be better, but that takes time.

If you could maybe dangle a dollop of hope to us Grignard-virgins, that'd be good.

Texium - 24-9-2016 at 15:29

Well, it was 76% humidity today, I didn't flame dry the glassware, and I used ether that I distilled directly from starting fluid without any additional drying. If I was to assume that my crude product was actually pure 2-methyl-2-octanol, I would have gotten a 79% yield. But I know that there are impurities because it is slightly yellow and smells slightly like 2-octanone. I don't want to try and remove these impurities because I have such a small volume that it may not leave me with enough to use. If I find out that I'm allowed to, I might take a tiny sample of it to school with me and see if I can run it in the GC/MS.

blogfast25 - 6-10-2016 at 12:57

If I find out that I'm allowed to, I might take a tiny sample of it to school with me and see if I can run it in the GC/MS.

That would be great.

Dr.Bob - 18-11-2016 at 16:52

How about acetone plus n-hexyl Grignard? That would give you the same product. How much material would you need for the best chances of having it work? Just curious.

oldtimer - 24-12-2016 at 15:10

Isn't that the final product you want to get out of the whole terpineol action?:

http://www.hekserij.nl/Parfum_en_Geur/Aromachemicalien/Dihyd...

Not that isolating α-pinene from turpentine and converting it in several steps to a 2,2-dimethyl-something-2-ol would be an interesting project by itself, but a few € could contribute significantly to the main (pottasium) project's progress...

Texium - 30-12-2016 at 23:01

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
How about acetone plus n-hexyl Grignard? That would give you the same product. How much material would you need for the best chances of having it work? Just curious.
I don't have hexanol, so I wouldn't be able to do that, but I could make an even longer alcohol with n-octyl Grignard and acetone (2-methyl-2-decanol). That may be too long though.

Also, I would be happy to prepare more of both alcohols and send them to someone more proficient at the potassium reaction than I am to try out. My interest is purely theoretical here because I have plenty of sodium metal, and I am more focused on organic syntheses than inorganic chemistry. It seems to me like this would be a good collaborative project.

oldtimer - 2-1-2017 at 17:27

Where I live, 1-pentanol and "octyl alcohol" are easily available. I am however not sure, if the latter is 1-octanol or some branched isomer. 1-butanol I have in the lab.
I will try to prepare some 2-methyl-2pentanol, 2-methyl-2hexanol and 3-methyl-3-heptanol.

As to quantities: If I remember blogfasts posts correctly, he used about 5 .. 6 grams of alcohol for each of his potassium runs. 25 g should therefore be a quantity that allows a few of these experiments.

Alice - 17-4-2017 at 05:30

In the meantime I had two new ideas about obtaining long chain tertiary alcohols.

My first idea was to alkylate raspberry ketone and perform a Grignard afterwards. The advtantage is to deal with solid products, thus easy purification compared to high boiling and badly crystallyzing liquids.

Second, cyclization of citronellol with an acid in order to obtain either the alkene with further addition of water or dihydro terpineol directly. A problem is to obtain citronellol. An alterternative synthesis is starting from citronellal, which needs to be reduced to citronellol first. A general problem is to identfy reaction products. The advantage is to avoid reducing an alkene compared to the previously discussed synthesis of terpineol followed by precious metal reduction to dihydro terpineol.

I think I'll try the raspberry ketone based synthesis first as I expect less pitfalls and the same iodoalkane can be used for both steps. Nevertheless this may take a while...

[Edited on 17-4-2017 by Alice]

soniccd123 - 11-7-2017 at 13:51

Yesterday I was reading Semimicro and Macro Organic Chemistry by Nicholas Cheronis looking for sources on alcohol oxidation to carboxylic acids and something caugh my atention: "The use of permanganate with alcohols
which contain tertiary hydrogen (branched chains), as for example,
isobutyl alcohol, (CH3)2CHCH2OH, involves the danger of oxidation
in other parts of the molecules." (page 199). I looked into more information on the internet about this and, while little was found, two papers (on the end of the message) talk about the oxidation of tertiary hydrogens to hydroxyl groups.

Wouldn't be possible to oxidate the tertiary hydrogen on Isovaleric acid to 3-metil-3-hydroxybutanoic acid and then decarboxylate this to T-butanol?

Sketch of the reaction:

[bad img]http://imgur.com/a/HJL8i[/bad img]

Papers:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja00705a642?journalCode=...
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01501a033?journalCode=...

12thealchemist - 17-5-2018 at 08:44

I'm aware this thread hasn't been active for nearly a year, but I had an idea that may be worth considering before discarding as too much effort.
I was reading the potassium thread out of interest (the train of thought initiated by NurdRage's recent video on making sodium via that process) and was thinking about alternative tertiary alcohols. The proportion appears to be ~5 mol%, working from woelen's numbers on http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/synthesis_K/...

On the basis of this, I started thinking about how one could avoid any side reactions, and possibly have a "perfect" catalyst. Tertiary alcohols are used so that α-elimination products cannot occur; ethanol forming acetaldehyde, isopropanol forming acetone. These then polymerise, and form organic gunk.
However, all these thus-far proposed tertiary alcohols do have β-hydrogens, and so could undergo elimination to form alkenes, thus deactivating the catalyst. One could use tertiary alcohols that do not have β-hydrogens, but one then ends up with things like tri(t-butyl)methanol or 1,1,2,3,3-pentamethylcyclohexan-2-ol, which are difficult and complicated to synthesise (and very expensive) for obvious reasons. What if one used a bridgehead alcohol, for example bicyclo[2.2.2]octan-1-ol? Elimination products cannot form to bridgeheads due the inherently strained nature of the product. Similarly, nucleophilic substitution reactions cannot occur.

After a bit of thought, I came up with this synthesis. I figured it would be feasible for the determined amateur.

Bicyclo[2.png - 174kB

From a bit of googling, it appears that the Birch reduction cannot be carried out on phenol itself, unfortunately, hence the need to protect the OH. I wonder if it is possible to combine the hydrolysis, Diels-Alder, and decarboxylation into a one-pot reaction, thereby speeding the process up considerably. I am aware that the last step, the reduction, uses palladium on carbon, an expensive reagent, but I've seen it mentioned as being used by other SM members, hence above claim of feasibility.

draculic acid69 - 19-8-2018 at 20:22

NurdRage was talking about long chain acids for use in making an ester and couldn't seem to think of an easily obtainable source.

To quote NurdRage:

In a grignard, the alcohol side of the ester is lost.

As carbon sources themselves we'd need a long-chain carboxylic acid, i don't know of any other than acetic acid.

Stearic acid is cheap and easy to get on eBay.biodiesel is a long chain ester.
Both of these could be used in a grignard to get a long chain tertiary alcohol
couldn't they?

CuReUS - 20-8-2018 at 04:08

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  
What if one used a bridgehead alcohol, for example bicyclo[2.2.2]octan-1-ol? Elimination products cannot form to bridgeheads due the inherently strained nature of the product. Similarly, nucleophilic substitution reactions cannot occur.
That's a brilliant idea :o
Quote:
I wonder if it is possible to combine the hydrolysis, Diels-Alder, and decarboxylation into a one-pot reaction, thereby speeding the process up considerably.
I don't think that's a good idea,since the water used in the hydrolysis would undergo a michael addition to acrylic acid.
Quote:
I am aware that the last step, the reduction, uses palladium on carbon, an expensive reagent,
If you protect the phenol as a benzyl ether,then Pd/C can be used to simultaneously reduce and deprotect in the last step.That would eliminate the need for the hydrolysis step and make a one pot diels-alder/decarboxylation possible :)

But your idea has given me another idea.Why not just buy amantadine and diazotize/hydrolyse it to alcohol ? Amantadine is sold as flu/parkinson med.

draculic acid69 - 20-8-2018 at 18:05

Amantadine is prescription only.at 100 mg a pillow and a month supply of 30 tablets it is in no way feasible to use it for this purpose.the whole turpineol route after19 pages yielded nothing.if I was going down this path I'd grignard some ethyl stearate made from easy to get metho and stearic acid.sounds like a great starting point.

12thealchemist - 29-8-2018 at 07:32

Since this post, I gave the idea more thought, and thought "why bother with a mono-alcohol, make the molecule symmetrical, and make it a diol?" Then, you should be able to use half the molar quantity from before, and have all the benefits outlined in the post above. Hence this proposal for bicyclo[2.2.2]octan-1,4-diol :

The first couple of steps is given in an OrgSyn procedure,
Org. Synth. 1965, 45, 25
DOI: 10.15227/orgsyn.045.0025
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV5P0288

And the borate ester enolate protection is based on a short lecture course at university on Main Group elements in organic synthesis.

Bicyclo[2.2.2]octane-1,4-diol.png - 205kB

[Edited on 29-8-2018 by 12thealchemist]

CuReUS - 5-9-2018 at 04:48

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  
Since this post, I gave the idea more thought, and thought "why bother with a mono-alcohol, make the molecule symmetrical, and make it a diol?" Then, you should be able to use half the molar quantity from before, and have all the benefits outlined in the post above.
Even I suggested a diol idea in the previous page -http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15171&...
Quote:
Hence this proposal for bicyclo[2.2.2]octan-1,4-diol
isn't there a chance of polymerisation,having the OH's at two poles ?

Vinylogous - 13-9-2018 at 12:34

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  

As carbon sources themselves we'd need a long-chain carboxylic acid, i don't know of any other than acetic acid.

This stuff, Windflame PureFire Lamp oil, Windflame PureFire Lamp Oil, is pretty pure methyl coconoate, which is a distribution of C10-C18, with the majority being C12 (methyl laurate). Grignard on this with your bromoalkane of choice to get your tert alcohol with a long linear tail and two symmetric "arms". Just my $0.02.

At some point in the next few months I would like to attempt making this HO(Et)subCC12 (from methyl laurate et al with bromoethane), HOMeEtCC16 (from MEK and cetyl bromide), and maybe a few more of that ilk, and try them out for sodium.

HO(iAm)3 from isoamylbromide and isoamyl acetate might be fun too.

UC235 - 13-9-2018 at 14:45

Walmart sells "coconut cooking oil" which advertises that it doesn't solidify. You can also buy a more pure material online called MCT Oil or Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride (from supplement supply or cosmetic supply places). The former is what happens when you partially freeze coconut oil and filter off the solids which removes much of the lauric and heavier containing triglycerides. What's left is highly enriched in hexanoic, octanoic, decanoic, and oleic acids with a healthy amount of lauric left over. This material is easy to make into biodiesel (NaOH/KOH catalyzed transesterification with a large excess of methanol) and the result is readily fractionated to give substantial amounts of methyl octanoate and methyl decanoate.

MCT Oil is what happens when you distill the free fatty acids from coconut oil or palm kernel oil and re-esterify them with glycerol. It's essentially mixed octanoic/decanoic triglyceride with a little hexanoic thrown in. The yields from processing this in the same manner as above will be even higher.

You can also just buy isopropyl myristate as a cosmetic supply.

Vinylogous - 17-9-2018 at 08:54

Triglycerides are just esters, so couldn't one just react a Grignard with the MCT oil directly? Having a hard time finding literature for this one, but this source New Trends in Lipid and Lipoprotein Analyses, is promising.

[url=https://books.google.com/books?id=-Twl5OI0VgQC&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=grignard+on+"triglyceride"+ester&source=bl&ots=4RCrkAWM6 3&sig=eLph-BIwAmaCBvoQXhTsQqgVCwA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9tv_2u8LdAhWJTt8KHaeEC9sQ6AEwDnoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&f=false]link[/url]

edit: the board does not like this link, you will have to manually paste it I think. "Contribution of Grignard Reagents in the Analysis of Short-Chain Fatty Acids", p 242

Quote:

Application of Grignard Reagents to Oils and Fats Analysis

Two applications successfully used Grignard reagents in oils and fats analysis. One was analyzing the fatty acid regiodistribution in triglycerides. The nonselectivity regarding fatty acid chains and nonregioselectivity of Grignard reagents was used to start operations through partial deacylation. The brief, controlled degredation resulted in a mixture of diglycerides. The second involved analyzing wax constitutents, particularly jojoba. Ethylmagnesium bromide rapidly attacked the ester bonds, and in a single step completed transformed jojoba wax rapidly and completely into a mixture of tertiary alcohols that corresponded to the fatty acids and native primary alcohols. The mixture of alcohols was analyzed directly in gas chromatography with a single injection.

In theory, with enough Grignard, the triglyceride should be ripped to shreds, affording the tris-MgBr adduct of glycerol and the deprotonated tert alcohol- MgBr+, upon quench giving the tert alcohol and glycerol. I think the key phrasing is controlled degredation, which leads me to believe they tried to carefully strip off one fatty acid.

This source, Studies on the positional specificity of lipase from Mucor miehei during interesterification reactions of cod liver oil with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid... by Haraldsson and Almarsson, 1991, suggests that even with 6 moles of MeMgBr to 1.1 mol triglyceride, diglyceride was obtained. Again, that's not an excess of Grignard, so I think they are trying to do something to partially degrade the fats for the purpose of analysis.

[Edited on 17-9-2018 by Vinylogous]

[Edited on 17-9-2018 by Vinylogous]

draculic acid69 - 15-10-2018 at 20:57

NurdRage just posted a video using 4OHterpineol from purified tea tree oil for the sodium metal rxn on YouTube with good results.seems like this is the way to go.

[Edited on 16-10-2018 by draculic acid69]

draculic acid69 - 16-11-2018 at 19:46

NurdRage last video shows long chain secondary alcohol s work in the NaOH/mg rxn.they seem to have a lower yield but they work.menthol crystals on eBay or from mint flavorings for cooking or vaping are otc and ready to go.

[Edited on 17-11-2018 by draculic acid69]

draculic acid69 - 16-11-2018 at 19:51

In the spirit of this post where nothing seems to work out can I just say can no-one suggest extracting the menthol from cigarettes to use in this rxn.just buy it it's otc enough.

draculic acid69 - 15-12-2018 at 17:39

Menthol can give 90% yield of sodium.no need for tert alcohols.

clearly_not_atara - 15-12-2018 at 17:46

I had wondered if terpenes would work here. Menthol is a secondary alcohol but it's very hindered. Terpineol is a tertiary alcohol which IIRC can be distilled from pine oil.

[Edited on 16-12-2018 by clearly_not_atara]

Texium - 15-12-2018 at 18:43

Wouldn't a fully saturated tertiary alcohol such as 2-methyl-2-decanol still be a cleaner and more effective catalyst, in theory?

draculic acid69 - 17-12-2018 at 20:25

Watch Nurdrages latest vid on YT it will explain everything.

draculic acid69 - 20-12-2018 at 23:38

Steric hindrance actually helps the rxn the longer chain part doesn't participate as much as previously thought
Borneol gets the rxn done in 10 hrs compared to 20-30 for menthol and long chain tert alcohols. But menthol is by far cheaper and more OTC.

[Edited on 21-12-2018 by draculic acid69]

nora_summers - 21-2-2019 at 18:30

This sticky is 9 years old and has pretty much been rendered obsolete in light of recent work. Do we still need to keep this stickied?

j_sum1 - 21-2-2019 at 20:42

Just because a solution has been found for the primary application does not mean there is no benefit to the contents of this thread. And I know that I intend to give it a good read before attempting Na synthesis using menthol catalyst. Rb and Cs are still to be investigated. Li too perhaps. So there is no good reason to unsticky this. It is not like there is any major inconvenience to having it near the top of the list.

nora_summers - 21-2-2019 at 21:00

On the other side of the coin, there is no good reason to sticky this thread in particular. There are hundreds of other threads of interesting and more pertinent chemistry. Why is this one special enough to be stickied? Let's sticky some other very interesting threads like the Ketene lamp or OTC safe methylating agents.

12thealchemist - 22-2-2019 at 07:48

Rubidium has recently been synthesised by Pok over on the potassium thread and the "new" German chemistry forum

Cou - 3-7-2020 at 00:35

I've been wondering if the Steglich esterification would work for tertiary alcohols such 4-propylheptan-4-ol (made from a butyrate ester and 2 equivalents of propylmagnesium bromide).

https://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/steglich-es...

It works for making esters of tert-butyl alcohol, but the original publication doesn't give examples of yields for even more bulky alcohols.
It would be interesting to find out what the esters of these long-chain tertiary alcohols smell like. Eventually I'll find out for myself if the steglich esterification works, or if I have to use acid chlorides.

Simple Method for the Esterification of Carboxylic Acids
B. Neises, W. Steglich, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 1978, 17, 522-524.

[Edited on 7-3-2020 by Cou]

Pages:  1  ..  3    5