Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Building a Ionization Chamber

Kovoc - 2-8-2019 at 09:41

I want to build an ionization chamber that can show how much radiation it is detecting in miliREM, can anyone help me with that?

Ubya - 2-8-2019 at 11:05

do you want to build an ionization chamber and the relative electronics to convert the signal to milliRem/h? or do you want to build just the chamber?

Kovoc - 2-8-2019 at 11:48

I want to make the ionization chamber and the electronics to convert it into miliRem/h

Abromination - 2-8-2019 at 19:47

Quote: Originally posted by Kovoc  
I want to make the ionization chamber and the electronics to convert it into miliRem/h

Make sure to shield the electronics, interference was a huge problem when I built mine.

Kovoc - 3-8-2019 at 04:15

Yeah but my point is that I don't know how to make a circuit that will convert it into milliREM/h or sieverts. I need help with that

Ubya - 3-8-2019 at 09:36

Quote: Originally posted by Kovoc  
Yeah but my point is that I don't know how to make a circuit that will convert it into milliREM/h or sieverts. I need help with that

if you are using an analog meter, just change the scale behind. the dial should show the current, calibrate it with a known source and find the conversion ratio between current and dose in millirem/h, after this draw the corresponding scale for the meter

Heptylene - 4-8-2019 at 03:19

Your questions is pretty vague. It's like me saying "I want to build a mass spectrometer and I need help."

What specifically do you need help with? Designing the ionization chamber? The theoretical principle behind it? Building it?

As for the electronics, do you have any background in the subject? Do you know what kind of circuit or components you would need? Are you starting from scratch?

Without any detail you won't get much help.

Frankenshtein - 22-9-2020 at 15:19

Good news, this is am easy project, look at these people making one with copper wire and a soup can.

https://youtu.be/96bybrgI6V0

Now electronics is what youll need to learn to build most things. That video doesnt seem to have a schematic of the electronics. You could look around at other "diy" or "homemade" ionization chambers and see all the info you can get for the circuitry. If you get your questions to be specific enough, you can ask on the electronics stack exchange and they might give you the types of circuits to use.

I dont know enough about electronics, but I'd say some of the schematics of these devices use an ammeter, you'd maybe be able to use a transimpedance amplifier (current to voltage converter) instead, and then of course the voltage output from that could be read by an ADC (analog to digital converter). IIRC, arduino Uno has a low resolution ADC chip. So you'd either have the arduino then read this from it's own ADC or an external one if you want better resolution. Then, you could write a program to take this voltage signal and convert it to millirem/h. I'm assuming if you could replace this setup with an ammeter or multimeter, and know the radioactive source's strength, you could calibrate it quite easily. You can also ask on arduino forums if you need help specifically with that. Now you might find out arduino is not high resolution/quality, but it should be fine for a project like this, I think. Learn to read the datasheets for chips which you can find online. Sparkfun has some nice videos on the basic components. Afrotechmods on youtube is also very educational I've found.

I find electronics very difficult and takes a lot of time reading and building small projects designed by other people.