Sciencemadness Discussion Board

www.thosci.com

Boffis - 11-8-2019 at 07:34

Has anyone here come across thosci.com web site?

I came across it while looking for preparations for 2-thiohydantoin and hydantoin. This web site has sections for organic and inorganic syntheses. While I was looking around at other syntheses I stumble across numerous photo-essay type preparation, including some of my own lifted from this forum! There is a link to the source but it is not very obvious. Furthermore the links are almost always to sites like SM which may or may not contain actual technical references, some of the preparations are highly suspect or wrong! The preparation of thiohydantoin for instance has photographs that show a white product but I have now prepared this compound using a well established method from a well respected journal and it is deep yellow! I have already investigated the preparation described and posted comments about it on this web site; it produces an iminothiazolidone derivative not a hydantoin (an imidazolid-2,4-dione) derivative.

The site is rather anonemous. Does anyone lnow who is behind it. The photos give the impression that the presentor /s have tried these syntheses which they clearly haven't

Ubya - 11-8-2019 at 07:50

i stumbled on this website a few times, i did not search everything he made, just a few synthesis, i think most of them ar copypasted as at least the few i read weren't very complete, just the procedure

Boffis - 11-8-2019 at 08:26

Yes you are right, particularly the SM ones where there are pages of thoughts and comment. Interestingly the thiohydantoin preparation has no link to anywhere else and the reaction was shown not to produce thiohydantoin by Liebermann and Lange in 1879 (Berichte d. Chem. G. v12 p1588-95 [1879]).

I don't understand this type is site, it takes effort to produce but is undermined by sloppy referencing and basically what's the point if its already covered by the much better reviewed and controlled OrgSynth web site?

Ubya - 11-8-2019 at 08:29

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
Yes you are right, particularly the SM ones where there are pages of thoughts and comment. Interestingly the thiohydantoin preparation has no link to anywhere else and the reaction was shown not to produce thiohydantoin by Liebermann and Lange in 1879 (Berichte d. Chem. G. v12 p1588-95 [1879]).

I don't understand this type is site, it takes effort to produce but is undermined by sloppy referencing and basically what's the point if its already covered by the much better reviewed and controlled OrgSynth web site?

he adds pictures, just that hahahaha

Pumukli - 11-8-2019 at 08:48

A few days ago a came across this site. I was delighted to found something "prepchem"-like. Actually, what I was looking for was among the preparations but it was a known method so I did not bother to look after things more thoroughly.
I think I even bookmarked the site on my other computer. :-)

morganbw - 11-8-2019 at 20:24

I have looked at his site in the past and I am confident that some of the synthesis are not correct.
Not his own doing, just copy from other peoples work along with their mistakes.

Bedlasky - 27-3-2020 at 03:48

I found this website yesterday. It have few inorganic preparations which looks interesting.

Texium - 27-3-2020 at 06:45

Interesting. If you look at their “about and legal” section, it’s clear that they understand that people might not be too enthused with what they’re doing:

Quote:
Intellectual Property Rights and Copyright

The contents on Thosci.com are provided “as is”. Thosci.com makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Thosci.com does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.

Thosci.com claims no credit or ownership of the intellectual property for any images or contents shown on this site unless otherwise noted. Images, articles, and information on this site are copyright to its respectful owners. If there is an image or information subject to intellectual property rights appearing on this site that belongs to you or your representatives and do not wish for it to appear on this site, please notify us at copyrightabuse(at)thosci.com with a link to said content and it will be promptly removed.

Texium - 19-4-2020 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by Lion850  
A form of molybdenum blue was prepared according to the procedure in "Thomas' Chemistry" "Synthesis of Molybdenum blue"
https://thosci.com/synthesis-of-molybdenum-blue/

At first I was going to reply to the original thread, but then I realized it was turning into an off-topic rant and it would be better to post here.

"Thomas' Chemistry" has really started to grind my gears with his near plagiarism of procedures and pictures from all over the amateur chemistry community... Pics from the linked procedure are by our own mailinmypocket. Sure Thomas links the thread, but the site is still very misleading. I think he should rename it to something like "Thomas' Compendium of Chemical Procedures" and put an obvious photo credit below each picture instead of a single "Source" link.

If he can do that, it would be much more above board, and undoubtedly a great resource. It could serve as an index and quick reference to find procedures from here, YouTube, the German forums, and people's personal blogs all in one place without the off topic fluff that comes up on Google. Of course, I would prefer our own wiki to serve that purpose.

Anyone else have thoughts on this issue?

mackolol - 20-4-2020 at 01:32

Some of the syntheses on thosci.com are good. I've done some and there posted syntheses that aren't anywhere else.
Now, for example, I'm making p-methyl propiophenone from Thosci synthesis, and it works very well, shorter version of what chemplayer has presented.

Texium - 20-4-2020 at 07:25

That’s all well and good but the point still stands that it’s NOT thosci’s synthesis. It was reposted from this Italian chemistry forum and translated into English. At the very least each photo should be captioned “Photo credit: marco the chemistry @ myttex.net” the source link should be more obvious, and there should be a clear disclaimer at the top of every page saying that it is not original work.

This is what I’m trying to get across: if you cite thosci in a write up here, that’s about the same as citing Google. It is a way to find procedures but it is not a valid source in and of itself. Thomas didn’t make p-methylpropiophenone. Marco did. You’re following Marco’s synthesis through thosci.

mackolol - 20-4-2020 at 08:24

Oh yes... I chose wrong words, I was making methylpropiophenone following synthesis posted by thosci, but it's the matter of is Thomas sharing good or bad syntheses.
In my opinion this site has some nice data to offer, maybe despite having some mistakeful ones

morganbw - 20-4-2020 at 15:35

Quote: Originally posted by mackolol  
Oh yes... I chose wrong words, I was making methylpropiophenone following synthesis posted by thosci, but it's the matter of is Thomas sharing good or bad syntheses.
In my opinion this site has some nice data to offer, maybe despite having some mistakeful ones

Yes, I think so as well.
I am certain that there are some mistakeful ones though.
Study and use the ones that agree with how you think and then check your results carefully.