Sciencemadness Discussion Board

CaCl2 + H2SO4

cnidocyte - 23-1-2011 at 02:04

I searched for threads on this but the closest thing I found was a thread on NaCl + H2SO4. I was thinking about reacting CaCl2 with H2SO4 to make some CaSO4 and noticed that theoretically this should be an easy way to produce HCl. If I'm not mistaken, if I add a mole of CaCl2 to a 1M H2SO4 solution and filter out the CaSO4 precipitate I should be left with a 2M solution of HCl.
CaCl2 + H2SO4 --> CaSO4 + 2HCl
Is that what will happen or is there something I'm not taking into consideration?

hissingnoise - 23-1-2011 at 04:10

The reaction of NaCl with H2SO4 for HCl production is preferred because NaHSO4 is soluble!
CaSO4, being insoluble complicates matters!
You could try dissolving CaCl2 in water and then adding a roughly stoichiometric quantity of H2SO4 to it.
You'll get impure, dilute HCl this way . . .

bbartlog - 23-1-2011 at 09:03

Well if all he wants is a fairly dilute aqueous solution of HCl, his proposal will work fine, and in fact the insolubility of CaSO4 is probably a plus since he can filter it out. The discussions on this forum that I recall involve methods for producing gaseous, preferably dry HCl (because aqueous HCl is an article of commerce, most places). Different ball of wax and for that I think NaCl would definitely be preferred.

cnidocyte - 23-1-2011 at 09:15

Why is that preferred? With NaSO4 being insoluble, it precipitates out allowing it to filtered out. Assuming all CaCl2 reacted, the NaSO4 obtained should be pure. The HCl solution on the other hand will contain some NaSO4 since its slightly soluble. Also the solubility of CaCl2 is 745g/L which is about 6.8M. Mixing 6.8M CaCl2 solution with conc. H2SO4, you could get a HCl solution of around 6.5M couldn't you.

hissingnoise - 23-1-2011 at 09:30

Use the standard method for best results!
Dry NaCl and ~98% H2SO4 and lead HCl to water with the inverted funnel trick . . .

not_important - 23-1-2011 at 10:28

This is complicated by the fact that CaSO4 is slightly soluble, more so in strong acids as it can form CaHSO4 (bisulfate); however it is much less soluble that NaSO4 or its hydrates - I think that cnidocyte mistyped back up there.

Adding _solid_ CaCl2 to H2SO4 would also complicate things, because it gets coated with CaSO4 which slows down further reaction.

As discussed elsewhere, adding strong aqueous HCl to CaCl2 is a decent way to produce HCl gas, possibly better because only hydrochloric acid is consumed - the CaCl2 can be recovered.

Mixell - 23-1-2011 at 13:16

Hm, Maybe I'm missing something here, but how exacly CaHSO4 can exist? The charge of Ca is +2 and H is +1, but the SO4 anion has a -2 charge, so the charges are not equal (maybe you meant NaHSO4, sodium bisulfate).
Also, it should be Na2SO4, if I'm not mistaken (maybe you meant CaSO4, calsium sulfate) ?

cnidocyte - 23-1-2011 at 13:31

I'm completely lost. I can't see how NaCl + H2SO4 could be a better method of producing HCl. Na2SO4 is pretty soluble in water. Yeah using solid CaCl2 wouldn't be as effective as reacting a saturated CaCl2 solution with concentrated H2SO4. As CaSO4 precipitates out, more CaCl2 can be dissolved in the solution and since HCl has such high solubility, I'd say you can concentrate the HCl a fair bit.

madscientist - 23-1-2011 at 13:55

Mixell: HSO<sub>4</sub> has a charge of -1. Ca(HSO<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>.

The reason for using dry salts and conc. sulfuric acid is because it produces HCl gas, meaning it can be bubbled into water as hissingnoise and others have mentioned, free of sulfate or cationic impurities.

bbartlog - 24-1-2011 at 05:39

Quote:
I'm completely lost. I can't see how NaCl + H2SO4 could be a better method of producing HCl.

To summarize:
If your goal is to produce moderately dry HCl *gas*, then what you want is a salt that will react fairly completely with concentrated H2SO4. In this context, the relative solubility of NaHSO4 is an asset because it allows new NaCl to be exposed to attack by H2SO4. CaCl2 is likely to become covered with CaSO4 before it finishes reacting, though I have to think that it could still be used (fine powder, heating, agitation and so on).
If your goal is to produce an aqueous *solution* of HCl, especially a dilute one as you initially indicated, then an insoluble salt as a product is obviously an advantage.
Just make sure you don't try to produce an aqueous solution of 70% HCl or something.

entropy51 - 24-1-2011 at 06:44

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
If your goal is to produce an aqueous *solution* of HCl, especially a dilute one as you initially indicated, then an insoluble salt as a product is obviously an advantage.
Just make sure you don't try to produce an aqueous solution of 70% HCl or something.
Obviously? What's so obvious about it? You can't produce pure (or strong) HCl by this method.

Obviously you've never tried to filter CaSO4!

Now if you filtered it and then distilled the filtrate properly you could obtain relatively pure HCl at 20% concentration, but you're starting to lose some of the simplicity of the proposed method.

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by entropy51]

blogfast25 - 24-1-2011 at 06:55

Here, let me help you all out a bit with some real experiments using NaCl and CaCl2 for HCl generators. There's a bit more on the page after that one.

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
If your goal is to produce moderately dry HCl *gas*, then what you want is a salt that will react fairly completely with concentrated H2SO4. In this context, the relative solubility of NaHSO4 is an asset because it allows new NaCl to be exposed to attack by H2SO4. CaCl2 is likely to become covered with CaSO4 before it finishes reacting, though I have to think that it could still be used (fine powder, heating, agitation and so on).

Bbart, there’s no need to put asterisks around the words gas and solution. HCl gas really exists and it’s called hydrogen chloride, similarly HCl solutions are very real too and are called hydrochloric acid. The maximum concentration that can be achieved is about 37 w%, known as concentrated hydrochloric acid.

The reasons why hydrogen chloride dissolves so enthusiastically in water are multiple:

• reacts with water and dissociates: HCl(aq) + H2O(l) === > Cl-(aq) + H3O+(aq). Solvation energy is released (ΔH < 0), the solution heats up during formation.
• The transition non-solution (state 1) === > solution (state 2) ALWAYS leads to increased entropy (is more probable): ΔS = S2 – S1 > 0
• Thus ΔG = ΔH – TΔS < 0

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 24-1-2011 at 07:19

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Obviously you've never tried to filter CaSO4!

Tell me about your troubles?

I’ve frequently made impure NH4Cl by combining a saturated solution of garden grade (NH4)2SO4 with a saturated solution of CaCl2: (NH4)2SO4(aq) + CaCl2(aq) === > 2 NH4Cl(aq) + CaSO4(s) and never had any filtering problems, quite the contrary: it filters like a dream!

entropy51 - 24-1-2011 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
and never had any filtering problems, quite the contrary: it filters like a dream!
Really! My experience has been that it filters slowly, if at all. Were you using filter paper, fritted glass, or what?

blogfast25 - 24-1-2011 at 09:19

Coffee filter paper. The fact that the filtrate was hot and quite concentrated in NH4Cl may have helped (I must have done this three or four times by now). It runs through quite fast and completely clear.

I also disagree somewhat where you wrote:

”You can't produce pure (or strong) HCl by this method.”

Hmmm… much of the world’s hydrochloric acid sloshing around is still produced by heating conc. H2SO4 and NaCl in cast iron pans, hence the Fe contamination that’s still so common in ‘hardware store muriatic acid’.

In my simple experiments (linked to above) I could have made 37 w% HCl too, just not very much of it! I chose to capture the HCl gas in a volume of water that was suitable for direct titration and thus direct yield determination, that’s all…

entropy51 - 24-1-2011 at 09:32

I also disagree somewhat where you wrote:

”You can't produce pure (or strong) HCl by this method.”

Hmmm… much of the world’s hydrochloric acid sloshing around is still produced by heating conc. H2SO4 and NaCl in cast iron pans, hence the Fe contamination that’s still so common in ‘hardware store muriatic acid’.

I was referring to H2SO4 + CaCl2 followed by filtration. I know that H2SO4 + NaCl still works and use it myself. I routinely make 34% HCl that way.

I rarely buy the hardware store muriatic acid anymore because I don't use a lot of it and I don't like to have it sitting around corroding everthing near it.

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by entropy51]

cnidocyte - 24-1-2011 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by madscientist  

The reason for using dry salts and conc. sulfuric acid is because it produces HCl gas, meaning it can be bubbled into water as hissingnoise and others have mentioned, free of sulfate or cationic impurities.

What apparatus do you need for bubbling?

peach - 24-1-2011 at 12:08

Bbart, there’s no need to put asterisks around the words gas and solution. HCl gas really exists and it’s called hydrogen chloride, similarly HCl solutions are very real too and are called hydrochloric acid.

I'm sure he's using the asterisks to show he's talking about gas production, as opposed to using dilute acids and wet salts to have the gas captured in the original solution and present as hydrochloric, not to mock us. :)

If you're trying to produce the sulphate and don't want the hydrogen chloride around, bubbling it into water is one method. Add some base to encourage it to stay put.

Calcium Chloride will yield twice as much of the gas per unit of salt volume - which is useful if you don't have big flasks to hand as you shouldn't really be opening the generator mid work to refill it - it will stink, ruin the finish on every metallic fitting in the room, moisture will start running in and the gas stream is then contaminated with atmosphere; some of which may or may not be problem depending on what you're doing.

The three most common methods I know of to hydrogen chloride are table salt / calcium chloride + sulphuric and hydrochloric onto calcium chloride. Which you choose and how you do it depends largely on what you're doing with the resulting hydrogen chloride.

If the goal is making hydrochloric, that rules out the latter of the three, since you need hydrochloric to run it - but it can be used to purify shitty hydrochloric.

If it's making hydrochloric very easily with bits you'll readily find on the shelf, it's going to be sulphuric onto table salt, as you can pick up kilos of it at the cheapo stores like Aldi and Lidl for about 30p a bag and sulphuric is easier to find than surfactant free hydrochloric.

If you want clean hydrochloric, I'd go with bubbling the resulting gas into some distilled water.

The benefit of bubbling is that it will separate all the rest of the rubbish in your impure reagents out of the product; with a very high ratio of separation for next to no effort.

If you want a very well known gas stream, for anhydrous work and such, you'll want the hydrochloric onto calcium and to blow it through carbon or some more anhydrous salt; this way you know the acid in the generator is the same species as the gas you're producing and it doesn't have mist coming over with it.

You have to be careful assuming gas generators are truly anhydrous and pure if they're just a flask with a funnel and some tubing. I have watched reactions fail from what appears to be damp and / or acid coming over - probably as a result of the mechanical fizzing going on picking it up.

Calcium chloride generators using sulphuric do work when the salt is present as granules, but grinding it up will encourage it to go quicker. Going quickly is usually not the objective with gas generators. If anything, I find I want them running slower to be sure that the gas has a chance to be absorbed where it's going; not bubbling through it and out the exhaust.

You can bake NaCl generators to drive more hydrogen chloride out, but it's more mess to think about for what amounts to very little extra money. I'd also recommend you're careful when it comes to cleaning out calcium / sulphuric generators, as I've found big lumps of it that have been difficult to remove, and actually seen a flask pop when trying to rinse one out.

Because of this, I started looking into using plastics instead. From what I remember, HDPE isn't stunningly resistant to sulphuric according to the tables, yet I have bought sulphuric, many times, in HDPE bottles. Neither is it excellent against hydrogen chloride. But when a HDPE bottle costs less than a pound, and a boro flask costs tens of pounds, I don't really see it as a big problem if the plastic one goes in the bin after a while.

Theoretically, you should have 98% sulphuric and freshly baked salt to ensure you get the absolute maximum out of the generator, and none of it is left behind dissolved in the moisture present. In practice, the amount of effort and risk involved in redistilling sulphuric is no where near the cost of loosing a small amount of hydrogen chloride.

Incidentally, the cost for a lecture bottle of dry hydrogen chloride is over £100, and the Monel regulators / manifolds are £500->£2k for corrosive gases.

Generating the same amount using these methods costs about £5->10 from memory. So super duper efficiency isn't really essential when comparing it with the alternative.

You can buy dirty grade hydrogen chloride at about £140 for 5 kilos, but the damages you'll pay when 5kg of it goes wrong will swamp that with the first letter to the lawyer.

You also can't easily rent cylinders of the reactive gases as they can be used as chemical weapons.

To bubble gas a length of tubing will work. As hydrogen chloride has such a high solubility in water, if you're running the generator slowly, you may see few or no bubbles, as the gas dissolves into solution before escaping as a bubble.

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by peach]

blogfast25 - 24-1-2011 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
To bubble gas a length of tubing will work. As hydrogen chloride has such a high solubility in water, if you're running the generator slowly, you may see few or no bubbles, as the gas dissolves into solution before escaping as a bubble.

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by peach]

Yeah, that’s what I saw, at moderate rates of HCl generation: at the end of the submerged tube there was like on bubble protruding into the water but never quite leaving the tube. Swirls of denser HCl solution can then be seen to sink from the permanent bubble to the bottom of the water. That’s why the inverted funnel method also works fine.

It’s very similar with ammonia (NH3) form ammonium salt + NaOH: that too is really keen to dissolve in water.

blogfast25 - 24-1-2011 at 13:08

entropy51: I see, my bad.

not_important - 24-1-2011 at 14:28

Hmmm… much of the world’s hydrochloric acid sloshing around is still produced by heating conc. H2SO4 and NaCl in cast iron pans, hence the Fe contamination that’s still so common in ‘hardware store muriatic acid’....

I'd like to see references for that. From what I've read the main sources are byproduct HCl from chlorination of organics (which contains iron from attack on the pipes and so on), from burning H2 and Cl2 from electrolytic production of NaOH, from controlled incineration of chlorine-containing organic waste. Production using H2SO4 adds the cost of H2SO4 and the waste sodium sulfate production cost.

http://www.hydrochloric-acid.co.uk/hydrochloric-acid-manufac...

http://www.solvaychlorinatedinorganics.com/docroot/chlo_inor...

peach - 24-1-2011 at 15:42

Acid gas release from insulation on electrical wires is enough of a concern carbolite build a furnace specifically for checking it.

THREAD DERAIL SNIPPERS APPLIED -> X <- HERE

[Edited on 1-25-2011 by Polverone]

peach - 24-1-2011 at 16:09

As far as making clean hydrochloric cheaply and easily goes, it's drain cleaning sulphuric onto table salt bubbled into distilled water.

Using a gas to water method (with a state change involved) avoids the possibility of insoluble products and soluble contaminants in the reagents getting through filter papers - you are effectively 'distilling' the acid.

Use CaCl2 if you can find it cheaply, since you'll get more gas per flask of salt you use. Bearing in mind CaCl2 will only give you twice as much, it can't cost much more than double a bag of NaCl or it's questionable whether or not it's worth it.

Job done!

[Edited on 25-1-2011 by peach]

cnidocyte - 25-1-2011 at 01:01

As in a boiling flask (containing the HCl source) and a stopper with glass tubing through it and the other end of the glass tubing submerged in water in another flask? HCl would melt rubber stoppers though wouldn't it.

peach - 25-1-2011 at 05:48

It does attack natural rubber yes - making it go dry and crumbly.

But it doesn't do it instantly, and rubber stopper's don't cost a whole lot. You could try a silicone stopper instead, or painting silicone caulk over the whetted surface of the natural rubber. You could even bed PTFE tape over the silicone before it cures.

More of a problem with your proposed method is that adding all that concentrated sulphuric to your dry salt will cause the reaction to get going straight away at full pace, meaning you may end up loosing some of the gas.

For generating gases, you really want some control over how quickly and to what extent the two components meet - which means a Kipp's apparatus or flask and funnel setup.

In my scheming with regards to generating large quantities on the cheap, I envisaged having one HDPE bottle with the solid in and another, above it, with the liquid in. I'd connect the top bottle to the bottom one with two bits of tubing - one going to the top of that bottle above, to equalise the pressure between the two, and the other draining the liquid out into the lower bottle. Then use a clamp to control the rate the liquid drains into the lower bottle.

This is basically a flask and funnel deal, but hopefully one that's significantly cheaper and harder to break. If it works with HDPE, you can get 5l jerry cans that'd allow you to produce a lot per go.

I had a pack of HDPE bottles turn up in the post last week and would be interested to see how it works, so I could give it a go.

I could have done with some slightly bigger ones really, since these 250ml ones have fairly small caps and the cap will be the best place to attach things. I could also do with some hose barbs, which will then get stuck in place with a blob of silicone caulk.

{edit}Begins wondering if there are barbs easily to hand. If I can find something suitable, I'll give it a try and let you know.

[Edited on 25-1-2011 by peach]

peach - 25-1-2011 at 06:19

Hmmmm

blogfast25 - 25-1-2011 at 08:15

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
I'd like to see references for that. From what I've read the main sources are byproduct HCl from chlorination of organics (which contains iron from attack on the pipes and so on), from burning H2 and Cl2 from electrolytic production of NaOH, from controlled incineration of chlorine-containing organic waste.

I don’t have any, not_important, I was merely going by the fact that nearly all HCl I’ve ever bought is yellow coloured (demonstably by Fe3+), I didn’t realise they carried on that tradition with by product HCl! :)

You could try a silicone stopper instead, or painting silicone caulk over the whetted surface of the natural rubber. You could even bed PTFE tape over the silicone before it cures.

Hmmm… silicone is about the worst choice you can make: it’s hydrolysed very quickly by wet HCl, as witnessed in my tests linked to above. At that time I only had silicone tubing and used it for that set up. After about two runs the silicone had turned basically to SiO2 and had to be replaced!

It would probably resist a lot better to perfectly dry HCl.

[Edited on 25-1-2011 by blogfast25]

Arthur Dent - 25-1-2011 at 09:02

What would be the best tubing material for HCl gas and/or Cl ?

Teflon would be best ideally but I shudder just at the thought of the cost of teflon tubing. How about black neoprene? Would the orange rubber stuff be any good?

I have a lot of transparent PVC tubing but I must admit I have never used it for HCL / Cl gas. I've seen the pictures of what bromine does to that kind of tubing (turning it opaque red), and before attempting an experiment with HCl gas or Chlorine, I want to make sure my vessels are connected safely together...

Robert

[Edited on 25-1-2011 by Arthur Dent]

entropy51 - 25-1-2011 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
What would be the best tubing material for HCl gas and/or Cl ?
I don't know what would be best, but the generic clear plastic tubing from the hardware store works just fine. It will eventually deteriorate, but not after a single exposure, in my experience. In the distant past I even used rubber stoppers on my HCl generator, but since I have ground glass now I use that instead. I've tried other ways, but I still like the inverted funnel for HCl absorption. Cool the absorber in ice water if making strong HCl.

I do think that it is necessary to heat the HCl generator to obtain a decent yield of HCl. I add the H2SO4 dropwise from an addition funnel and then heat it when gas production slackens.

When NOT making anhydrous HCl gas I find that adding just a little water to the NaCl helps to reduce the foaming that occurs when the sulfuric is added dropwise. Coarse NaCl in lumps seems to foam less than finely ground table salt.

I dislike using CaCl2 instead of NaCl because I don't like to let CaSO4 (or any insoluble solid) go down my drains. I neutralize the slag left in the generator with Na2CO3 before flusing it down the drain.

blogfast25 - 25-1-2011 at 10:33

Robert:

Neoprene, PVC, EPDM (ethylene propylene copolymer elastomers) are all good. NR will degrade quite quickly but not immediately. None will last forever but most of these for quite a while. Teflon is serious overkill for HCl… Even cheaper fluoropolymers like Viton elastomers aren't needed by a long shot.

peach - 27-1-2011 at 06:31

Teflon tubing is not only expensive, it is not easy to make connections with due to it being a rigid polymer, as opposed to an elastometer, and not particularly flexible by comparison. This problem is only made worse by the fact it won't thermoform (that is such a bitch!), so you can't easily melt connections together - as they do with the underground mains pipes in the road.

I have used fluoroelastomer tubing with HCl(g) before. When combined with halogenated solvents, it too can turn opaque, but the mechanical properties of the tubing don't change.

I have been playing around the last few days building a generator out of HDPE bottles, hydroponic fittings and, what I suspect to be neoprene, tubing - using concentrated sulphuric onto table salt.

Test number one was a failure in terms of getting clean hydrogen chloride out of it.

I drilled the holes for the little barbs dead on - they were 5.3mm in size according to the micrometer, so I chose a 5mm bit for a push fit. I then siliconed the barbs as they went in, to try and get a gas tight seal around them - letting it cure overnight.

All seemed to be going to plan, until fixing the tubing and filling it came to fruition. For a start, the silicon bond to the smooth caps on the bottles was not great. Trying to push on the, now fairly rigid, tubing (having been out in the garage at 4C) caused the seal on the top bottle to start peeling away as I wiggled it. I thought... oh well, it's probably still plugged well enough inside the hole. And, it didn't matter anyway, given what happened next.

On filling the top bottle with the sulphuric, the silicone seal utterly failed - within seconds it was peeling apart.

In addition to that, I was trying to think of an easy way to control the flow rate, and had tried bending the tubing over on it's self and clamping it with one of the free arms on the retort. Again, with the tubing being so dense and cold, it obviously hadn't cut it off anywhere near well enough, as the acid drained far too quickly into the salt. With the bottles being tall and thin, the salt foamed and went over into the water I was using to collect the gas.

Rather than simply hose the entire thing down and bin it, I am leaving it alone to finish, as it can still provide useful feedback on how compatible the other components are given that they're now exposed to the salt, concentrated acid and hydrogen chloride.

I seem to recall sauron saying PVC will ignite in the presence of hydrogen chloride. I'm not sure about that, as I've never seen it do it and the cole parmer resistance guide actually rates it A for compatibility - maybe that was a joke that passed me by. It rates it as A, excellent, for all sulphuric acid up to 75%, then D, severe, for anything above. As with everything science and engineering related - TEST IT YOURSELF

In terms of neoprene, again, a D for concentrated sulphuric. I've just been dipping a length of it (or what I assume to be a length of it) in sulphuric and not seen any problems. There is no data available for hydrogen chloride. I have used it with hydrogen chloride a number of times before and not seen any immediate problems - it did have a major problem when it was also in contact with DCM.

You can only buy into the resistance guides so much. They are VERY broadly speaking and heavily application dependant. For example, a piece of tubing that is constantly being flexed in an aeroplane's wings and that needs to last for a decade supplying fuel to the engines is much more of a problem than a piece that's going be exposed for a few hours, not manipulated and then rinsed - or possibly binned after ten or so goes doing an experiment in the garden. You will also note that every single resistance guide you find will say "These are approximations and our experiences, we assume no responsibility, check it yourself, lazy"

Whilst this attempt has entirely died on it's arse, I'm not all that bothered as there are things I can note about this that could lead to being able to do a lot better with another go. I also don't need the resulting gas or hydrochloric.

The goal was to see if the far harder to break and cheaper plastics could be used over glass. If a compatible setup is found, you could scale this up and run it in 1/ 2 / 5 / 25l HDPE containers. That would be useful for producing larger quantities of anhydrous salt or for drying such salts.

I need to have another look at the plastics once it's had time to sit out there and stew, I'll leave it overnight I expect.

But, the observations thus far!

1.) The HDPE doesn't seem to care. I have so many chemicals turn up in HDPE - including 34% hydrochloric and concentrated sulphuric. Before I check the bottles outside, I can be almost certain the HDPE will be fine, as it's fine when it turns up in bottles made of the same polymer. This in line with Cole Parmer's guide, listing even LDPE as fine for the sulphuric and hydrogen chloride.

2.) Crimping the tubing is not an excellent method of controlling it, unless you're using a fine control clamp, and one that's light enough it's not going to pull on the tubing

3.) Coloured drain acid is good because the HDPE is opaque, making the bright pink / red stand out well

4.) DO NOT bother with silicone anywhere that it will come into contact with the sulphuric. Silicone tubing will likely go the same way. I would go further and suggest you don't use it at all, as you'll probably end up with the acid on it at some point and then be wondering why the generator isn't working, but everything around you is rusting.

5.) Rather than crimping and clamping the tubing, one could use a PE or PP stop cock, as is used on garden watering system, wine siphons, jerry cans and so on

6.) Do away with barbs and use screw in fittings

7.) You could consider using either HDPE or Polypropylene tubing in place of PVC and neoprene, as both the formers are more resistant to what's happening. Like Teflon, however, they tend to be rigid. Unlike Teflon, they are thermoformable; you can melt connections together.

About as successful as my attempts to woo Kelly Brook by hiding in her garden every night

I removed the equalising tube and stuck that in the water as well, after realising this wasn't going to work and watching the salt bottle foam up. Even with that tube gone and the barb being a tight fit, there was sulphuric dripping out around the fitting on the top bottle where the silicone had previously been. You can see the acid on the green plastic bin it's sat on; look between the front right of the clamp stands base and the volumetric flask

The main offender - silicone, sliding off like an egg on a greased up frying pan

Does anyone remember the kid's TV show called "It'll never work". Well, that's never going to work. But the bottle and plastic barb don't seem to mind, or the (probably) neoprene tubing. The place I bought the tubing from didn't say what it was, but that spongy, shiny surface looks familiar

Crimping over the tubing didn't block the tubing off anywhere close to how well it should be. I don't think this is a stellar method, using any form of clamp, crimp, adjustable pliers and so on, as they tend to be for on / off control and struggle to do it finely; more so when the tubing is tough (they can get significantly more rigid with changes in the weather). It would be better with an actual stop cock there (check online garden / pet / fishy stores)

The silicone on the lower bottle is a liar. Because it wasn't subject to much movement and wasn't in direct contact with the sulphuric, it's pretending it'll be okay.

Even though the pile of salt in the bottom isn't taking up much room, you can see the water in the collection flask is pink, from it foaming. The foaming would be less of a problem if most of the acid hadn't drained through in a minute or two. I would also suggestion caution if you're going to have a go at doing this without any previous experience making the gases in glassware, and dealing with them, as something at these early stages of testing fittings could potentially clog and then pop - blowing the acid all over you and the inside of your house, along with releasing a decent quantity of hydrogen chloride. You certainly wouldn't want to start testing your ideas by generating ten moles of something very toxic or flammable - e.g. hydrogen sulphide, acetylene, monoxide, hydrogen cyanide...

Concluderoodo

I was quite pleased with it personally. I think there's potential there.

I'm sure I saw a plastic stop tap in the house that was PP.

Plumbing fittings are PEX and PB. PEX is cross linked HDPE. And you can also get pushfit PEX pipe. The only problem could be the rubber seals in them.

The only way to find out is to try breaking one. :D

Hmmmmm^2

---> Opens catalogues

[Edited on 27-1-2011 by peach]

blogfast25 - 27-1-2011 at 07:47

To try and prevent foaming you might want to try adding some mineral oil.

I also wonder if rate of evolution could be better controlled by using a slurry of saturated brine (36 g NaCl/100 g water) mixed with the same amount (say about 36 g) of finely crushed NaCl. It should be much easier to mix the acid with the salt slurry than with dry salt.

Silicone? Forget it. Hydrolyses like mad and bonds very poorly, especially to non-polar substrates like most plastics. If you really want to try some ‘poor man’s’ bonding/sealing system, try contact glue. Real contact glue (the stringy, pale yellow stuff that stinks of chlorinated solvents) is based on high crystalline polychloroprene (CR, aka Neoprene). CR resists most acids well but the high crystalline CR isn’t very flexible (but it is very tough – high tensile strength). And CR based glues are usually formulated for a wide field of bonding applications, although PE probably isn’t one of them. I used that quite successfully in the past to cobble together a CO2 generator from non-lab glassware and brass tubing, as a sealant. Not perfect but just about did the job...

But for the drop funnel for the acid, I really think people should invest in a proper glass drop funnel or separating funnel: not much point having your acid drip all over your apparatus and fingers, real messy and hard to clean up. For those who just want to make hydrochloric acid solution (the rate then isn’t very important) adding all acid at once without drop funnel probably works (it did for me).

peach - 27-1-2011 at 07:48

Submitted to Barclays PLC for consideration of loan approval to Mr John

S2 = You'll want a hole in the top of the upper bottle to equalise the pressure between the two. Having a hole in both the top and bottom makes filling it with concentrated acid, not easy. Hence, a stop tap here to close it off when filling.

S1 = Start the acid flowing

T = Rather than drill yet more holes into the bottles, I'd prefer to keep all of the connections in the caps, with those being thick and rigid. There is only so much space on the caps, fewer holes means not only means fewer sealing problems on the bottles but more chance of being able to fit the fitting on there in the first place. I am, therefore, considering taking the gas off from the same connection that equalises the bottle pressures. Tubing to floating plastic fittings is usually a lot more durable than tubing to rigid plastic to wonky, thin plastic

G = I also considered not making any holes anywhere other than the caps, by having the pressure equalising tube go up through the top bottle cap. Problem! 1.) needs a double sided connection 2.) will 100% ruin your work if the connection comes loose inside or the tube gets sulphuric in it

W = An optional dry bottle. Would also serve to catch and mistakes if option G was used. However, even with W in place, if G failed, you would still have to refill the generator. Decisions, decisions!

Addendum

I am thinking it may be best to avoid using plastic plumbing fittings.

1.) They have rubber seals, as mentioned above - possibly not a problem
2.) The smallest bore they come in is 10mm, and the 10mm range doesn't usually have many components available for it. The next up is 15mm, which is starting to get big
3.) The pipe is so rigid it's annoying to bend. If the generator wasn't fixed rigidly together, any knock or misalignment would stress the connections to the bottles, and likely open them

Why not get that HDPE Kipp's Generator Mossydie linked to?

That is an AWESOME deal. The whole thing is HDPE and done for you.

However, it also has a fixed volume, and you will tend to be using dilute acids with one given the large volumes needed.

This method would allow you to use both concentrated acids - for maximum space saving - and very large containers, if you like it so phat it needs spelling with a p.

peach - 27-1-2011 at 08:03

Quote:
To try and prevent foaming you might want to try adding some mineral oil.

Will give it a go. Foaming hasn't been a problem when I've been adding the acid carefully. But, if it helps, it's worth a try.

Quote:
I also wonder if rate of evolution could be better controlled by using a slurry of saturated brine (36 g NaCl/100 g water) mixed with the same amount (say about 36 g) of finely crushed NaCl. It should be much easier to mix the acid with the salt slurry than with dry salt.

Given the massive solubility of hydrogen chloride in water, using water in the generator is likely going to reduce the yield by a decent amount. I thought I was being Ghetto by not suggesting people redistill the acid to 98% and then bake their salt in the oven. :P

Quote:
If you really want to try some ‘poor man’s’ bonding/sealing system, try contact glue. Real contact glue (the stringy, pale yellow stuff that stinks of chlorinated solvents) is based on high crystalline polychloroprene (CR, aka Neoprene). CR resists most acids well but the high crystalline CR isn’t very flexible (but it is very tough – high tensile strength). And CR based glues are usually formulated for a wide field of bonding applications, although PE probably isn’t one of them. I used that quite successfully in the past to cobble together a CO2 generator from non-lab glassware and brass tubing, as a sealant. Not perfect but just about did the job...

There's a tube of that in the plastic bag in the picture above, where I have the bits on the surface in the kitchen. Like.... bummer, dude!

But I wouldn't have considered it had you not mentioned what it is. I have a bin full of glues, sealants and caulks - literally tens and tens of them all the way up to epoxy anchor cartridges. Some of the newer glues, like StixAll, Sticks Like Sh1t, Pink Grip and so on use novel polymer systems which may be possible options. I bought all of them thinking I'd do a head to head review.

There's also epoxy, no idea right now precisely how well that'll fair.

I chose silicone for the initial test as I've not noticed it doing much when I clean the work surface with sulphuric. I was also thinking, there'll be guys in Australia, the US, Mexico, Africa, Russia and all over the place who might want to try this. By using some UK only brand of glue, it'd mean they'd then have to start testing the seals themselves, again. Silicone seemed like a universally available option, and something people might even have in the garage already. As we have seen, it's not even close to acceptable for this.

A better option is to forget the glues and either melt the plastics together or use screw together fittings with sealing washers.

Quote:
But for the drop funnel for the acid, I really think people should invest in a proper glass drop funnel or separating funnel: not much point having your acid drip all over your apparatus and fingers, real messy and hard to clean up.

I'd have to disagree there, armed with four glass equalising funnels ranging from half a litre down to 25ml.

Glass is the universal standard for laboratories, and this plastic 'funnel' has entirely failed in this example. However, it's only failed due to the silicone. For the cost of experimenting with a few different methods and plastics, I think it would benefit many of the people here who can't afford that kind of glass.

I'd use the plastic method if it works, saving the glass for things that really need high purity or for use with solvents that will leech plastics.

[Edited on 27-1-2011 by peach]

blogfast25 - 27-1-2011 at 08:39

Well, I'd consider the plastic bottle method too (of course) but it still isn’t clear to me what bonding/sealing solution you have for the bit between ‘G’ and ‘S1’…

Re the solubility of HCl in water and consequent losses of hydrogen chloride gas to water in the generator, don’t forget the saturated brine solution is approximately 6 M in Cl- and will stay that way because without serious heating you only get the first displacement, so the rest of the (solid) salt replenishes the solution. Is HCl equally soluble in conc. NaCl? Or will it salt out the salt?

My own tests, using dry NaCl and 94.5 w% H2SO4 yielded only about 50 %, based on NaCl + H2SO4 === > NaHSO4 + HCl. Much of that poor yield was due to the visible fact that much of the salt hadn’t even seen acid due to poor mixing!

So whilst I haven’t tried this, what I’m hoping is that better mixing and contact between salt and acid would amply offset any loss of HCl as solution in the generator.

The ratio of brine/solid salt is of course not set in stone: higher salt content may still result in better mixing, only experiment can show that...

[Edited on 27-1-2011 by blogfast25]

watson.fawkes - 27-1-2011 at 08:55

A better option is to forget the glues and either melt the plastics together or use screw together fittings with sealing washers.
If you're using polyethylene in any of its forms, plan on heat fusion for joining it. You can get plastic welding rods in PE for filler material. A good adjustable heat gun with a fine enough output tube (perhaps self-made) is adequate. No need for a purpose-built plastic welder unless you're doing a lot of it; there the ergonomics matter more.

As for fusing barb fittings, I imagine that a small jig could be constructed with a piece of drill rod down the center so that you could get the fitting hot without too badly deforming the inner diameter.

blogfast25 - 27-1-2011 at 09:59

Yep, that reminds me of hot melt adhesives based on thermoplastic Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) block copolymer elastomers: MP just about 100 C (IIRW), very strong, good bonders and gun applicable...

[Edited on 27-1-2011 by blogfast25]

peach - 27-1-2011 at 12:48

The hot method is perfect in terms of keeping the number of materials down. I was hoping to find a 'squeeze it out the tube' solution for others to repeat, but I'd be perfectly willing to try melting it. I wonder how a hot glue gun likes having HDPE rods stuffed into it. :D

In terms of the mixing, when you generated it, could you actually see white salt left in the generator?

blogfast25 - 27-1-2011 at 14:24

The hot method is perfect in terms of keeping the number of materials down. I was hoping to find a 'squeeze it out the tube' solution for others to repeat, but I'd be perfectly willing to try melting it. I wonder how a hot glue gun likes having HDPE rods stuffed into it. :D

In terms of the mixing, when you generated it, could you actually see white salt left in the generator?

SBS is much, much better as a hot melt adhesive, it is in fact THE hot melt adhesive of choice. The gun and SBS rods are dirt cheap, I picked one up from a charity shop years ago and forgot all about it! It will now get a new lease on life. SBS is a fascinating material that can be thermo moulded into artefacts with hugely varying hardnesses, always with high durability. Formulated with tackyfiers and such like it's a very versatile 'glue' which 'dries' to a tough, highly flexible, fatigue and chemically resistant bond/seal. Try it!

Salt left in the generator? Yes, lots, why?

peach - 27-1-2011 at 15:05

SBS, I'm used to painting it on the walls prior to plastering, rendering and tiling.

I should have said, dry unreacted salt. I tend to add the amount of salt I want then slightly more acid than is needed. It can take an hour or more for it to get through quite a small pile of it. I have seen generators still producing fumes days later - albeit lots slower than they initially were. Obviously, that's only the visible material around the sides of the glass as well, and liquids tend to go for the sides first (in fact, many things do - e.g. people standing by the walls of an entrance to a football stadium get in faster than those standing directly in front of it, due to a constriction of the axes they can move on).

This (long delay and tapering off in production) is likely why guys who make large quantities of drugs love hydrogen chloride cylinders so much they're willing to DIY a half cylinder half generator bastard child version using salt cakes, empty propane tanks and blow torches - to get a constant stream of it on tap.

I have read around that a fair bit, including a police report on them which included many photos, descriptions, one they built themselves and methods for getting rid of them. Whilst the pressure they can build up is not extreme, the pressure in combination with the ad hock mix of materials and highly corrosive gas is (for certain) not something I would encourage people to do.

I've just ordered a new pH probe. Once that turns up, I'll be able to provide some pretty graphs of temperature and pH from the generators.

peach - 30-1-2011 at 14:58

Attempt, two

This time I'll be using some PVC tubing and these little HDPE taps

Leaving a sample of the tubing in some concentrated sulphuric overnight

The tubing was tan / brown / amber by the morning, and would later go opaque when rinsed. However, the tubing has not become brittle to my hands

Neither has it's wall thickness changed by any sizeable quantity. I decided to try PVC since it's so easily available and transparent, so I can see what's going on as I test this

This is the last generator, which has been sat outside since I posted the pictures of it above. You can see unreacted salt, despite there being an excess of sulphuric. Likely as a result of so much of the acid ending up outside the bottles. There are still faint fumes licking out of the opening. I tried to photograph them, but they weren't playing

The resulting cake, not budging after three rinses with cold water and me squeezing the bottle. It is from a NaCl generator. The cake did later break up when I filled the bottle with some hot tap water and gave it another squeeze

Mmmmmmm, cake

Washing the first generator out, I see no signs of wear and tear on the bottles, tubing, cap liners or fittings

I'm going to try melting the fittings into place with a hot pin first, practising on the first generators caps and fittings. I have been using arc and gas welders since I was 13 or 14, and soldering things since before my teens. But plastic ain't metal

The first attempt, I only did the edges of the fitting and it broke away with little effort. I then put more effort into blending the fitting into the base material of the cap and got a better result

I purposefully set about trying to snap the fittings, to see how well they'd bonded 8^o

The hot pin method wasn't exactly great, so I tried the soldering iron and hey presto, it works beautifully. Despite having zero temperature control and costing about £3. I've stuck a bit of copper wire in the end but later switched it to an old tip instead. This is a 40w iron. The temperature is just high enough to get the plastic flowing, not high enough to instantly cut through it and not high enough to easily burn it

The third ever intentional plastic weld I've made in my life

Bingo! The fitting has snapped before the bond. Mission complete!

The finished bit of tubing. I decided to have the equalising tube come up through the cap and a bit of tubing inside the bottle because I wasn't at all happy with the bond it was making onto the base of the top bottle. I was worried a lot of sulphuric would end up in the equalising tube as I turned the top bottle upside down to drain, and so put a tap on there. I found this worked perfectly well, there was no sign of acid in the gas line once the bottle was flipped

Not pretty, but not presently the point

I've removed the cap liners so I could melt the fittings and caps together on the inside as well. Which means I will need to wrap the threads in PTFE. Good job I remembered that seconds before turning the bottle upside down.

Everything is looking good! Been for dinner, no leaks!

The taps are controlling the acid brilliantly. It's held it at that position for the fifteen or twenty minutes I've been away

Oooooooo! Close, but not yet! Everything is fine, but it looks like that tap had a rubber seal in it, which is now toast. I've again set the generator outside and, once it's calmed down, I'll snap open that tap and have a look. Again, I should point out, the rest of the fittings are absolutely sound. The only leak is from the seat of the tap it's self. The tubing isn't going to fall off those connections easily, it's ID is about 2mm smaller than the barbs and I had to force it on after a dunk in boiling water

[Edited on 31-1-2011 by peach]

Melgar - 4-2-2011 at 18:04

Most hardware store muriatic acid is a byproduct of the steel industry. It's also made via the chlorination of hydrocarbons. Honestly, the stuff is an industrial waste product, and they should be paying you to take it.

CaSO4 is a bitch to clean up afterwards. NaHSO4 on the other hand dissolves away. Using CaCl2 is more economical per unit of H2SO4, but NaHSO4 is easier all around.

[Edited on 2/5/11 by Melgar]

blogfast25 - 5-2-2011 at 10:07

John:

Where did you get those neat little taps anyway? They could be VERY useful elsewhere!

Why not try a good old fashioned Hoffman clamp to control the acid flow? Or a glass tap from an old burette or cracked separating funnel? Most of us have these laying around...

I don't see the point to the second tap: potentially dangerous even: close it with acid in the generator and you've got pressure building up!

peach - 5-2-2011 at 16:47

Someone else has asked about the taps as well, for an entirely different purpose to what they're being put to here.

They're Hozelocks, the micro-irrigation things you find at B&Q in the garden section. They're £4 or so for two. But they are very nice when they're not full of acid, they open and close very smoothly and, even in the example above, they provided a positive on and off, and fine control in between. You can find them cheaper on eBay, no name brands, where they're about £1.50 but, by the time you pay the pound or more of postage, it's the same price and you may as well get the Hozelocks at B&Q. Unless you're doing the entire garden as well. :P

You may also run into Gardena brand micro taps in the shops.

I have thought about using a Hoffmann clamp yes. I wanted to try the little taps because I thought they'd give better control, particularly if the tubing is cold, which makes it quite a lot more rigid. As is clearly evident, even though they're designed to work on about 15psi for the garden irrigation from memory, these rubber sealed taps are not suitable around strong acids; and not just a bit, but entirely.

I also thought about using glass taps, but thought I'd try the plastic ones first as they're cheaper and easier to come by and, provided they don't melt, not so brittle.

I have seen plastic taps that don't use washers, as you'd find them on lab glass, but finding them is a bit more effort - which is why I haven't tried it again yet (I'll need to find some). If all else fails, I will use glass ones yes.

The second tap is there because I needed to make the connection to the top bottle (to equalise the pressure) through the cap, as melting the plastic of the walls and bases doesn't work very well at all - it's too flexible. Because of that, the equalising tube has to be dunked into the acid as the cap gets screwed back on. I was worried that a decent amount of acid would then run straight into the lower bottle (through the equalising tube) as I turned the top one upside down. That extra tap there prevents that.

What is likely to happen if you forget to open it is that pressure will build up in the bottom bottle, and then stop any more acid coming down. Provided the bottom bottle is open to the experiment, pressure shouldn't build up in the top bottle; a vacuum will, which will also prevent more acid coming down. But you are right, you'd be best making sure it was open before starting.

The WORST thing to do would be to put a tap on the exit of the generator. That would allow the acid to come down to the salt, and it'd sealed, so pressure would most certainly build up; in both bottles.

Here are two things I thought might also interest you;

Chemglass, and others, make addition funnels with a tap on the equalising arm for isolating the sample from the atmosphere in the glass at specific points in the work. You imagine the fun that involves if you forget to open or close one at the right time!

QuickFit, and others, make these variants on the Hoffman clamps which feature a little roller on steps, so tubing can be proportionally clamped off. I'm sure you can find these from RC model stores cheaper than QuickFit will sell you one for.

[Edited on 6-2-2011 by peach]

blogfast25 - 6-2-2011 at 08:31

Definitely off the B&Q/eBay for some of these Hozelocks. The Aquarium People do some neat little (very proportional) air valves (needle, I believe) w/o washer too. For use with silicone or PVC tubing. Not sure about RC shops: tend also to be expensive!

Nice bit of ‘plastic welding: almost all plastics are immiscible, the only popular case of miscible polymers is NBR/PVC. Even PE/PP is two phase, even PP/EPR and LDPE/EPR…

Still not entirely convinced the tap in the equalising tube is really necessary.

soma - 25-3-2012 at 18:21

Came across this after doing a search on google. If anyone has access to the Journal of Chemical Education (A Convenient Way to Generate Hydrogen Chloride in the Freshman Lab, Francisco J. Arnáiz, Journal of Chemical Education, 1995, 72 (16), 1139.) I'd appreciate a copy of the article.

http://curlyarrow.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-dry-hcl-g...

How to make dry HCl gas

[...] The standard approach that I’m guessing most chemists still use is to add conc. sulfuric acid to sodium chloride or conc. HCl. However, avoiding the use of conc. sulfuric is desirable because it’s nasty and you’ll have to clean up afterwards. So in the interest of safety I would recommend the addition of conc. HCl to calcium chlorid. It’s cheap, the HCl gas that you generate is completely dry, it’s relatively easy to clean things up and the reaction is very easy to control. Here’s the original reference:A Convenient Way to Generate Hydrogen Chloride in the Freshman Lab, Francisco J. Arnáiz, Journal of Chemical Education, 1995, 72 (16), 1139.
On the photo you can see one of my recent set-ups. Here I am adding conc. HCl to calcium chloride with a pressure equalising addition funnel and bubbling the HCl directly into my reaction flask. Please note the use of a Pasteur pipette for bubbling the gas into the reaction flask. Do not get tempted to use a metal needle. Also I often add a wash bottle between the reaction flask and the gas source in case of unexpected suck backs. D!

Poppy - 26-3-2012 at 13:36

Does the bubbles still disappear before leaving the catcher water when it is already nearing 37%?
HCl might be useful for:

precipitation of the common ion> for example bubbling through FeCl3 until it precipitates out as a solid

replenishing dissolving baths.

Halp

This way you can accomplish usefulness of the compost other that trying to creat a 90% solution out of it :P

[Edited on 3-26-2012 by Poppy]

elementcollector1 - 26-3-2012 at 13:47

Another method (cannot remember source, think it's on YouTube) is to take the impure stuff from the hardware store, and place it in a sort of dessicator-box setup, with distilled water in another beaker. Then you'll have a pure solution of half the concentration of HCl.

I remember the source

annaandherdad - 27-3-2012 at 12:37

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Another method (cannot remember source, think it's on YouTube) is to take the impure stuff from the hardware store, and place it in a sort of dessicator-box setup, with distilled water in another beaker. Then you'll have a pure solution of half the concentration of HCl.

It's Robert Bruce Thompson, Home Scientist. You can find it under Youtube's search. As I recall he waited a month for the HCl to equilibrate between the cheap stuff and the distilled water. And of course the final product will be less concentrated than the original.

AJKOER - 28-3-2012 at 16:27

For those experimenting with Oxalic acid (H2C2O4) a more expensive route is reacting aqueous CaCl2 and H2C2O4:

CaCl2 + H2C2O4 --> 2 HCl + CaC2O4 (s)

where the Calcium oxalate is just about completely insoluble.

Oxalic acid is also sold in hydrated form, H2C2O4.2H2O, a white crystalline solid. Upon heating with dry CaCl2 and condensing the vapors should yield pure concentrated HCl. EDIT: Or, given the reported (per Oxalic acid MSDS) reaction of H2C2O4 with strong oxidizers, even heating the dry hydrated form of Oxalic acid may produce an accelerated decomposition (or explosive) reaction given the nature of anhydrous CaCl2 reaction with water. Employing CaCl2.xH2O, or avoiding the reaction all together and proceeding with an aqueous synthesis, is advised.

MSDS Sources:

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/krubin/MSDS/oxalicacid.html
"Incompatibilities with Other Materials: Reacts with furfuryl alcohol, silver, sodium chloride, and sodium hypochlorite. Contact with oxidizing materials may result in an explosive reaction."

Also:
http://www.nilechemicals.com/OxalicAcid%20msds.htm
"Explosion: Reacts explosively with strong oxidizing materials and some silver compounds."

Also:
http://www.labchem.net/msds/75425.pdf
"Forms explosive salts with silver compounds, reacts explosively with chlorites, hypochlorites."

Also:
http://msds.orica.com/pdf/shess-en-cds-010-000030127001.pdf
"Hazardous reactions: Reacts exothermically with alkalis. Accelerated decomposition occurs when mixed with strong oxidising agents."

"Chemical stability:Vigorous reaction may occur with alkalies yielding heat and pressure, and with acid chlorides producing toxic fumes. May react violently with alkali metals producing flammable hydrogen gas. Reacts strongly with oxidising agents, especially sodium chlorite and sodium hypochlorite. Can react with some silver compounds to form explosive silver oxalates."

[Edited on 29-3-2012 by AJKOER]

bbartlog - 28-3-2012 at 17:49

Quote:
Upon heating with dry CaCl2 and condensing the vapors should yield pure concentrated HCl.

I suspect that this would not run to completion unless you milled the two powders together to achieve a very intimate mixture; otherwise, the calcium oxalate would tend to encase the CaCl2 as the reaction proceeded. Also, I hope you realize that the HCl generated would be fairly dry HCl gas, i.e. 'condensing the vapors' would require cryogenic temperatures.

AJKOER - 29-3-2012 at 04:49

Thanks bbartlog:

I agree with your reservations on the attempt to mix the dry salts.

Actually, it may even be worst. An MSDS reports the reaction of Oxalic acid with strong oxidizers as explosive. Given the powerful and violent reaction of anhydrous CaCl2 with water, a similar fate may befall anyone heating the mixed dry salts in an enclosed vessel.

If still possible, I will appropriately add a cautionary note to my dry suggested synthesis.

Lambda-Eyde - 29-3-2012 at 05:59

Quote: Originally posted by soma  
Came across this after doing a search on google. If anyone has access to the Journal of Chemical Education (A Convenient Way to Generate Hydrogen Chloride in the Freshman Lab, Francisco J. Arnáiz, Journal of Chemical Education, 1995, 72 (16), 1139.) I'd appreciate a copy of the article.

http://curlyarrow.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-dry-hcl-g...

How to make dry HCl gas

This paper has been posted multiple times on the forum, most recently in a thread about generation of dry HCl here. Magpie tested the method, as shown in the same thread.