Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Making fire (youtube collaborative video)

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

hkparker - 13-3-2012 at 23:44

Sorry, meant to post an update. Was waiting on word from barley81 and I'm ready to get to editing.

Been swamped with school as well. At least if I have a break in two weeks so if not by then...

Sorry again, I'm on it!

hkparker - 7-4-2012 at 14:12

Sorry for these delays, been busier then I'd like with school.

Editing started, should have a draft up in a few days/a week.

garage chemist - 10-4-2012 at 12:26

Since I recently made some nearly anhydrous yellow fuming HNO3 (density = 1,52 g/ml) by vacuum distillation, I played around with some of it.
HNO3 dropped into aniline gave short puffs of flame as the acid hit the liquid, along with dense clouds of smoke. When more acid was added I got a sooty fire burning for a few seconds. There was a large amount of carbon residue.

HNO3 dropped into triethylamine was more spectacular: there was instant ignition and the triethylamine burned with a pale flame in air. Adding more HNO3 produced a hissing bright flame where the acid contacted the amine, the two didn't mix at all because the reaction was so energetic that it drove the two liquids apart upon contact. Drops of acid danced around on the surface of the amine like globules of potassium on water, engulfed in flames.
There was no carbon residue and no smoke, this was a very clean-burning combination.
This is probably a useful hypergolic liquid propellant for small demonstration rocket engines.

I could maybe try injecting HNO3 under the surface of triethylamine to get an "underwater fire" effect, although this probably gets dangerous due to burning triethylamine being splattered around.

I can test some more amines this way, although some of them are pretty expensive to be wasted this way, like ethylenediamine.
Amines show good hypergolic ignition properties with HNO3, probably since the heat of neutralization very quickly heats the liquid interface up to ignition temperature.

hkparker - 10-4-2012 at 13:37

That's awesome, I'd love to add those in the video.

garage chemist - 21-4-2012 at 11:25

I filmed the hypergolic reaction with HNO3 today.

The first attempt, triethylamine poured into acid. The triethylamine was wet and of questionable quality, thus the delayed and somewhat sluggish reaction.
<iframe sandbox width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wVEi4D9_89I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second attempt, acid poured into triethylamine. Good quality anhydrous triethylamine used this time, which seemed to make all the difference. You can see the potential as a rocket fuel.
<iframe sandbox width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B5sUATEps6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Are the videos working for you? Tell me what you think!

[Edited on 21-4-2012 by garage chemist]

Magpie - 21-4-2012 at 13:40

Yes, the videos are working - pretty impressive! Please be careful and don't get burned.

hkparker - 22-4-2012 at 16:04

Yep they are working. Wow, quite impressive! These are great, I'll add them to the project.

Formatik - 23-4-2012 at 22:15

The experiments turned out great garage chemist!

Following Urbanski's previous chart, triethylamine is one of the organic amines with the least induction period, thus the very fast reaction. I'm guessing larger amounts would react with far more oomph. Definitely one of those reactive systems that needs extra precautions in handling.

woelen - 24-4-2012 at 08:26

Did you use normal 68% acid, or fuming nitric acid? The videos are impressive and they make me eager to try this myself when my lab is up and running again.

garage chemist - 24-4-2012 at 09:36

It was yellow fuming nitric acid, vacuum distilled from H2SO4, with density of 1,52.
If I ever make some anhydrous hydrazine, then I'll have to try its combination with HNO3. Should be even more spectacular due to the much higher heat of reaction!

barley81 - 24-4-2012 at 11:38

Maybe you could pour the nitric acid on a mixture of KOH and hydrazine hydrate. The hydrazine might be dehydrated by the KOH and the heat of neutralization between the KOH and the HNO3 might add to the effect. I don't know whether this will work...

garage chemist - 24-4-2012 at 13:09

Hydrazine hydrate can be dehydrated by refluxing with a large amount of NaOH prills at 100°C. Two phases are formed, the upper phase consists of 93% hydrazine, 3% NaOH and 4% water (see Brauer). Turning this liquid into anhydrous hydrazine requires BaO which I don't have and is hard to make.
The 93% hydrazine from the NaOH method could probably already be used for the demonstration, though.
I'm a bit worried about messing around with hot hydrazine like that, especially since the phase separation has to be done at 100°C.

[Edited on 24-4-2012 by garage chemist]

Eddygp - 24-6-2012 at 01:16

I'll try to help. Alkali metals + H2O (obvious one), CaO + H2O (anothe obvious one)... But one I enjoy watching in youtube (video from ChemToddler) is the production of iron sulfide with iron powder and sulfur.
When this powder is ignited by heat or a flame, it is... spectacular, that's the word.

hkparker - 24-6-2012 at 16:50

First of all, I have to apologize for my extended absence. School became a lot to handle in the last month, presented at makerfaire, had to RMA my motherboard twice... anyway I'm back now and editing, and am expecting to post a rough draft of the video soon (I may take forever but I'm not giving up on it!). Not sure I'll be able to fit new submissions in but go for it, well see if it works well for the video.

EDIT:

Well I'm done. <a target="tab" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4RjREwNq0c">Here's the link</a>. I'll give it a week for people to call out spelling errors and such and fix them, after that I'll make it public.

[Edited on 25-6-2012 by hkparker]

99chemicals - 25-6-2012 at 12:12

Nine-volt battery needs a hyphen at at 7:30 seconds.

Also at 14 seconds you need to capitalize Sciencemaddness.

Great video!

hkparker - 25-6-2012 at 15:51

Ok, I will add those changes next time I render it. Thank you!

mr.crow - 25-6-2012 at 19:06

Excellent content!!!

The steel wool and ethanol + battery would be really good for camping. Too bad its not reusable.

hkparker - 25-6-2012 at 21:57

Thank you mr.crow!

Agreed, even still it would be pretty cheap to put together.

Teen Chemist - 26-6-2012 at 00:34

Wonderful video. Very well put together.

garage chemist - 26-6-2012 at 03:01

Good work, but why did my HNO3 and triethylamine reaction not make it into the video?

Formatik - 26-6-2012 at 07:44

Quote: Originally posted by garage chemist  
Good work, but why did my HNO3 and triethylamine reaction not make it into the video?

That's what I'm wondering also. That would be a very good one to add.

But hkparker, it looks pretty good so far. Nicely condensed.

I don't know if you are going to emphasize it somewhere, making sure to mention none of the fumes from any of the reactions are inhaled would be good, especially the sodium dichloroisocyanurate reaction.

Correction on the sugar and lead dioxide reaction in that clip: note that the reaction is with lead dioxide (PbO2), and not lead oxide (PbO or Pb3O4). Lead dioxide has been called lead(IV)oxide, but it is better to name it as dioxide for clarity sake.

Also what I was trying to mention earlier: the reaction of chlorate and nitric acid with alcohol is a violent detonation reaction, it wasn't captured in that clip shown but this is usually what it does. The alkyl ester of nitric or chloric acid likely forms in situ and then detonates. I don't know if that is suitable for fire making! My suggestion was to just use the other reaction of alcohol with potassium permanganate mixed with fuming nitric acid instead.

hkparker - 26-6-2012 at 16:02

My apologies gc, I totally forgot! I'll add those in to the next draft for sure. I forgot to download them when you posted them so they weren't in my draft folder.

I will specify the dioxide of lead.

Good point on that demo I didn't know it was usually explosive. That's not what we are going for so I will consider taking it out or replacing it.

Thanks everyone!

hkparker - 8-7-2012 at 21:17

Changelog:

-Hyphenated nine-volt battery
-Capitalized sciencemadness
-Edited text and voice to say lead dioxide as opposed to lead oxide
-Removed dangerous reaction between alcohol, nitric acid, and potassium chlorate.
-Added second video of triethylamine and nitric acid

<a target="tab" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUZNXi74ulk">Video here</a> (uploading at the time of this post, may be a couple hours).

Once again I'll give it about a week or two for corrections.

Vargouille - 10-7-2012 at 05:11

The steel wool/ethanol part has no text on the intro. Great video, though. I'll have to try the NaDCCA one sometime.

Bot0nist - 10-7-2012 at 17:16

That is correct about the clip I submitted of IPA and chloric acid. It did make a very loud couple of pops before igniting so I kept it very small scale. It is defiantly not a reaction I would want anyone to repeat on a larger scale. I think I mentioned it when I submitted it. If you feel it is inappropriate, please remove it. The video looks amazing HK, as did the last. I am honored to have seen it all transpire.

Thanks again, and good luck at school.

Edit: here it is.
Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KTVMGJLP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R2HTQK2M
Here you are. I have never used megaupload, I hope it works.

I wanted to scale up the reaction a tad to make them more interesting, but in my first two attempts with the IPA mix I observed what very much to me sounded like detonations. Unexpected detonation like sounds make me very jumpy.

[Edited on 11-7-2012 by Bot0nist]

Diethylzinc?

RadioTrefoil - 12-7-2012 at 05:02

Diethylzinc autoignites from contact with the oxygen in the air. Diethylzinc can be synthesised from reaction of zinc-copper couple with a mixture of ethyl iodide and ethyl bromide.

A full synthesis from <i>Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 2, p.184 (1943); Vol. 12, p.86 (1932)</i> can be found <a href="http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv2p0184">Here</a>. Please take your time to read it and decide whether you will use it!

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by RadioTrefoil]

hkparker - 1-8-2012 at 14:26

Sorry for the large delay! Been busy, and just got back from a week in vegas at DEFCON.

@RadioTrefoil
Were pretty ready to post this video, so we aren't really taking new submissions. It's a good idea though, give it a try. However, I think the next collaborative project will not involve fire.

@Vargouille
Whoops! Fixed that, thank you.

@Bot0nist
Good point, we should probably stay on the safer side for large video like this. Reluctantly, I'll remove it. We have some other videos with chloric acid though. And thank you! This project wouldn't be happening without your and everyone else's contributions!

Chnagelog:
-added text before steel wool video
-remove sulfuric acid + chlorate + IPA video.

Rough Draft part III here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB6lEpV4H0Q
(uploading at the time of post, please give it a few hours)

I'll give it another week before I make it public.

Vargouille - 2-8-2012 at 04:13

On the ibuprofen/KClO3 section, "ignite" is misspelled. In UC's part, his name is misspelled in the Contributor section. In the PbO2/Sugar/H2SO4 section, "concentrated" is misspelled. There's also some really nit-picky things about the typesetting not having a good shape, but that can be ignored, methinks.

Good video, as it was the last time, though.

plante1999 - 2-8-2012 at 05:40

I send a U2U to Hkparker with my modest contribution.

Glycerin is added to fine powder of ammonium dichromate then sulphuric acid is added.

http://youtu.be/GPSiutBoaGU

hkparker - 5-8-2012 at 21:04

@Vargouille That's exactly what I needed, thanks for your time. These spelling issues will be corrected for the next revision.

@plante1999 Thanks for the submission. The bulk of this reaction looks like the self sufficient decomposition of ammonium dichromate (old volcano demo reaction). I think there are some health concerns over this, due to the presence of hexavalent chromium. So I'm a bit reluctant, though I really do appreciate your submission. It isn't my call alone of course:

Can I get some feedback from other contributors about including this video? Too unsafe? Or should it be included? Thank you all!

Also, Rogeryermaw is sending along another contribution. Next revision will include any new videos an correct spelling errors.

Rogeryermaw - 6-8-2012 at 00:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbaccKTzyQ

the video is unlisted. if i need to submit it to you in any other form or route, let me know. also, this was done at night. it would probably look much better in daylight. if you would like me to do so it would only take an hour or so to take the vid, edit and submit. just shout out.

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by Rogeryermaw]

hkparker - 6-8-2012 at 02:51

Looks good. I would use it, though getting to see more of the mix and better light would be nice. Its up to you if its worth the time though. Thanks for the submission!

plante1999 - 6-8-2012 at 04:09

I agree on the health concern but there is much more dangerous video than mine, (example hypergolics with nitric acid). The reaction is slow and is not dangerous apart from toxicity.

If you still find it too ''dangerous'' your not obligated to show the reaction.

Vargouille - 6-8-2012 at 05:15

If I may, as long as the ammonium dichromate volcano is shown with a comment on its danger, it should be fine. It's not explosive to light it like this, and the carcinogenic danger is reduced significantly by standing a few feet away.

weiming1998 - 6-8-2012 at 07:09

A reaction between calcium hypochlorite and glycerol, with a bit of sulfur to help the mix burn, is hypergolic and ignites. I would think that's a good way to make fire without matches/lighter, using very cheap reagents. Here is my newly-posted video on it (although I recorded this a few months ago) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw2cDmcWoTU&feature=youtu...

Rogeryermaw - 6-8-2012 at 11:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J1y93MCJ_I&feature=youtu... re-recorded during daylight. feel free to trim any fat to shorten the run time.

hkparker - 6-8-2012 at 16:02

@plante1999 @Vargouille
Ok agreed, I will add the video with a safety warning.

@weiming1998
Could you try shooting this in the daylight so we could see the mixture better?

@Rogeryermaw
Nice improvement, will add that one, looks good.

weiming1998 - 7-8-2012 at 03:01

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
@plante1999 @Vargouille
Ok agreed, I will add the video with a safety warning.

@weiming1998
Could you try shooting this in the daylight so we could see the mixture better?

@Rogeryermaw
Nice improvement, will add that one, looks good.

I could possibly take some pictures of the mixture igniting in daylight, but it couldn't be in video form, because this site doesn't allow me to directly upload videos to it. Anyway, I always found that wrapping this mixture of calcium hypochlorite, glycerol and sulfur in aluminum foil makes the mix combust easier, but I can try without.

Vargouille - 7-8-2012 at 15:43

Most of the people have been uploading to YouTube. Even if you don't do that, there's torrenting and download sites like Mediafire.

hkparker - 9-8-2012 at 17:55

Upload to youtube I can download from there. If that isn't an option, use mediafire as suggested by Vargouille. If that isn't an option for some reason I can give you an FTP share.

hkparker - 24-8-2012 at 15:28

I will take the 16 day lack of response from weiming1998 as no longer interested. I would also prefer to consider submissions as closed at this point.

@plante1999 @Rogeryermaw your videos have been added.

Changelog:
-Added plante1999's video on Ammonium Dichromate, Glycerin, and Sulfuric Acid
-Added Rogeryermaw's video about potassium permanganate, sulfur, and sulfuric acid
-Fixed typo in the ibuprofen/KClO3 section, "ignite"
-Fixed type in UC's part, his name
-Fixed typo in the PbO2/Sugar/H2SO4 section, "concentrated"

Revision IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgXCKhHMS4

weiming1998 - 24-8-2012 at 16:55

I will take the 16 day lack of response from weiming1998 as no longer interested. I would also prefer to consider submissions as closed at this point.

@plante1999 @Rogeryermaw your videos have been added.

Changelog:
-Added plante1999's video on Ammonium Dichromate, Glycerin, and Sulfuric Acid
-Added Rogeryermaw's video about potassium permanganate, sulfur, and sulfuric acid
-Fixed typo in the ibuprofen/KClO3 section, "ignite"
-Fixed type in UC's part, his name
-Fixed typo in the PbO2/Sugar/H2SO4 section, "concentrated"

Revision IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgXCKhHMS4

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this. I have been rather busy with school work lately.

Anyway, the mixture of calcium hypochlorite and glycerin do not ignite when unconfined, as shown in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4viUyJULF8&feature=youtu...) video, it simply smokes and expands. I didn't add in sulfur because I used it all up, and the sulfur wouldn't have initiated ignition anyway. Again, I am sorry for bothering you with a late response.

hkparker - 24-8-2012 at 16:59

No worries at all, just want to get this video off the ground. Thank you for following up.

Vargouille - 25-8-2012 at 03:32

UC's name is still misspelled, where it says "Contributor: UnintentioalChaos" @4:44.
@9:30, ammonium dichromate is misspelled.
@10:15, UC's name is again misspelled, this time as "UnintentionalChoas".

hkparker - 25-8-2012 at 10:25

Not sure how I missed that twice, thank you! Spelling errors actually fixed now.

Fixed ammonium dichromate as well.

triplepoint - 30-8-2012 at 07:51

I have viewed your results on YouTube. Great work. Thank you to all of you who were involved in making it. I have a small suggestion, and its possible you already considered and discarded the idea. You provide so much material so quickly in the videos that I fear the effect will be somewhat lost on the viewers. I think your videos may get more attention if released as a series of shorter videos rather than as a huge compilation. That would also make it more practical to include more info about the reactions, something that would be welcomed by some viewers.

Again, I recognize that a huge amount if work went into this, and none of it mine. I think you guys did a great job and thank you.

hkparker - 3-9-2012 at 19:26

Thank you for your input triplepoint. This hasn't been brought up before but I like the idea. We'll release this video as planned but that is something to consider in the future. I think going into this, however, the idea was to produce large collaborative projects. Don't mean that can't be changed, well keep the discussion open on our next project.

Since I haven't seen any objection to the most recent revision (spelling errors fixed) I say we are go for release! Only thing is someone needs to type the in depth talk about each reaction (as seen in the description of the first one). If no one if up for it I can in my free time.

Endimion17 - 7-9-2012 at 01:26

garage chemist, I don't want to sound boring, but mixing reactants that produce a hypergolic reaction in a test tube, let alone one pointed straight up, is a recipe for an accident.
Also, you're not wearing safety equipment. You just grabbed the test tube and poured the stuff in. No gloves, naked wrist. You could've easy be left with holes in your skin.
That's not how you perform instant, exothermic, hypergolic reactions. You could've easily burned yourself with your boiling concentrated acid.

Here, check this out (it's also on-topic because of the fire).
<iframe sandbox width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HXuKgTTfSdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was meters away, hidden behind a shield, operating the axle holding the sample, and the tube is tilted backwards (not easily visible because of the camera position). When shit happens, it happens far from me and goes away from me. I was not operating the camera and I could've escaped away from the setup at any time. Water pipe was behind me.

It's not just you. Others see ill-performed demonstrations, too. Think of all the people accessing YouTube out there.
Anyway, it's a cool reaction and it would be nice to see a slow motion HD video of it.

hkparker - 10-9-2012 at 17:22

We've covered this topic in the past for these projects. I really do agree with you Endimion17, it was not done with best practices, same with some of the other demos to a lesser degree. That said I think all of them were done with a reasonable amount of safety. By that I mean the dangerous of the reactions are apparent to the viewer, and adequate warning is given. As much as saying "never repeat, entertainment only" is ideal, I find it kind of hypocritical. I agree the average youtube user isn't the most qualified to repeat some riskier demos, but its how me, and I think many others, got started. Also it would it be futile to tell people not to repeat things, if they want to they will regardless of what warnings we put. Not to mention there is no short supply of kewl TATP videos out there...

I guess my point is we can't hold ourselves responsible for the irresponsibility of others. That being said promoting bad practice is bad, and we should strive for professionalism. Either way only my opinions here, I leave it to the rest of SM to decide.

Bot0nist - 10-9-2012 at 18:27

... I guess my point is we can't hold ourselves responsible for the irresponsibility of others. That being said promoting bad practice is bad, and we should strive for professionalism.

Im in total agreement. That said, i didn't wear gloves when I should have.
We are all guilty of a bit of complacancy in lab practice, even Endi. (your accidental LPG flame thrower in the house during distillation, a very entertaning precautionary tale... ;) )

I am glad we aired on the side of (realative) caution for the YT video though. agian, great addition HK, and SciMad.

hkparker - 23-9-2012 at 17:16

Thank you Bot0nist.

As no one seems to want to type up the write up I will, hopefully tonight or so, and then go live. Expecting it to be up within 24 hours or so.

EDIT:

Also in the past we decided to donate all revenue to SM. I haven't done that yet because in this entire last year, that video has made $2.61. After paypal fees I don't think that would help anyone much.

I still plan on donating everything from these videos to SM, but once we make enough for it to count. I will keep everyone posed of course.

[Edited on 24-9-2012 by hkparker]

hkparker - 26-9-2012 at 10:06

My last post is too old to edit, so sorry for the double post.

Video is live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOxAYU7Ts9E

triplepoint - 26-9-2012 at 20:14

well done. thank you. the text screens and narration give it a polished look.

Eddygp - 27-9-2012 at 06:44

incredible videos!

Formatik - 10-10-2012 at 22:34

The final video looks great. Good work everyone.

Morgan - 20-12-2013 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  
Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  
This is pretty left field but I wonder if a bombardier beetle could ignite a small vessel with CS2 vapor and air if you directed his abdomen toward the said arrangement?
CS2 - Auto-ignition temperature: 90°C

Or would his chemical reaction go better in a pure oxygen atmosphere? Seems there must be something he could ignite with his chemical entourage.
http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~yanganqi/angel6.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHo8lokQlA&playnext=1&am...

I came across another tidbit of interest. The article is from Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
"An early explorer, reporting on large bombardier beetles from the neotropics, commented that when these “play off their artillery” they are so hot to the touch “that only few (can) be captured with the naked hand” (19).
http://www.pnas.org/content/96/17/9705.full
http://www.swedishbiomimetics.com/umist.htm
In all the old demonstration books they talk of nitrogen triiodide being sensitive enough to be set off by a fly, but it would be amusing to have a demonstration of a beetle starting a fire I think.
I remember sparking a sealed 2 liter plasitc bottle filled with CS2 vapor and yellow sulfur plating out on the sides of the bottle. The bottle dd not rupture, but briefly expanded ever so slightly. Maybe some of you more knowledgable out there have an idea of some substance that would ignite with products of the beetle's spray. Not that I would want to inflame a beetle, but design it so you could segregate him from any harm.
And yes, I don't have any illusions of anyone really wanting to or going out and trying this, it's just a thought experiment. Although, if I did live in the neotropics, it might be something to tinker with on a rainy day. It makes you wonder if nature could have, given enough time, invented some creature that conjures fire, other than man.

Ross Piper: Burnt by a bombardier beetle! - Wild Burma: Natures Lost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfYpWerLQE

TheChemiKid - 21-12-2013 at 02:38

What about peroxymonosulfuric acid and any flammable organic (Acetone, Ethanol, Methanol, Benzene, etc)

Morgan - 22-12-2013 at 08:09

Maybe you could stairstep the steamy heat from a bombardier beetle to activate a thin platinum wire or gauze, thus replacing the typical platinum sponge affixed to platinum wire that early lighters used. According to this reference, the critical temperature for platinum wire to light O2/H2 mixtures is 50 C. (page 1092) I wonder what amount of heat would be required for air/H2 or something less bother like methanol and air?
Imagine having the beetle heat activate the platinum wire and by some mechanism quickly sequester or gate the bombardier so as not to damage the "lighter" for repeated ignitions. If the spray didn't poison the catalyst, the chain of events could be an artistic albeit highly impractical bombardier beetle ignition system. Recall this playful design.

"Dobereiner himself suggested that one could “embellish it
with two alchemical symbols, namely the lion
and the snake, and so arrange it that the snake
takes the place of the capillary tube for the
stream of hydrogen and the open jaws of the
lion sitting opposite the snake hold the
platinum.”

There were quite a few details in methodology in this chapter on combustion, with everything under the sun they could try to gain understanding, and odd things too like the seemingly improbable accounts of tape measures and umbrellas spontaneously catching fire. (top of page 1094)
http://books.google.com/books?id=A-dYAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1092&...

AJKOER - 10-1-2014 at 10:18

.... I have mixed calcium hypochlorite and acetone and it doesnt react unless there is water in it to dissolve the ClO-, at least the reaction isnt visible. I think Ca(ClO)2 will react with many things to start a fire, sulfur sounds worth a try. I think it would be great if you got involved Mewrox99.

I believe the underlying agent here is Cl2O (dichlorine oxide). The action of CO2 on moist Ca(ClO)2 is said to liberate Cl2O This gas will explode on contact with turpentine,... My take on the reaction:

Ca(ClO)2 + H2CO3 --> CaCO3 (s) + 2 HOCl (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cl2O)
2 HOCl = Cl2O + H2O

Another example is when water is added to TCCA forming HOCl. If the Hypochlorous acid is sufficiently concentrated, Cl2O is liberated which will explode on contact with ammonia. So, dipping drops of aqueous ammonia on TCCA has been described as violent/explosive. Another possible explanation is the formation of explosive vapors of Chloramine:

NH3 + HOCl = NH2Cl + H2O (see, for example, http://www.vl-pc.com/tasks/render/file/?fileid=0FFF2647-CE39... )

Similarly, as 2 HOCl = Cl2O + H2O

2 NH3 + Cl2O = 2 NH2Cl + H2O

However, the above reaction is speculative, a possible intermediate reaction, in an explosive scenario. A frequently cited version is, for example:

3 Cl2O + 10 NH3 --> 6 NH4Cl + 2 N2 + 3 H2O (see http://books.google.com/books?id=Fs4zQ-hNTz8C&pg=PA509&a... )

Interestingly and I find amusing, old write-ups on Chloramine correctly employ the adjective 'toxic' in its description. However, given its more recent political endorsement as a water chlorination agent in certain jurisdictions, one may be more hard pressed to see this modifier. Case in point, Wikipedia piece on NH2Cl does not contain the word toxic, but, in its defense, uses the term 'genotoxicity' (which relates to its ability to damage DNA and lead to cancer) once for associated by-products when employing Chloramine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry Alchemist  
Chlorine and Hydrogen... in a plastic bag and take a picture of it with a camera with flash on... very quick explosion (light is produced from the heat probly a bit of fire)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjbRH6bSIIw&feature=relat...

could this be included or dont explosive reactions work?

If trying to replicate this chain reaction ignition, note that oxygen is said to poison the reaction chain (so no explosion). In my opinion, the hard part is actually filling the plastic bag with a heavy gas (Cl2) and a very light hard to contain gas (H2) without having any air present and avoiding strong sunlight (uv light presents a premature detonation issue). The H2/Cl2 explosion displays significant kinetics (translation, powerful, so beware and do not use a large vessel).

[Edited on 11-1-2014 by AJKOER]

Morgan - 26-8-2014 at 15:18

Döbereiner Lighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V0rIo8c7qc

Morgan - 10-1-2015 at 09:58

A variation that saves the test tube.
Explosion vapor high molecular weight hydrocarbons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwozW1puNb0

kecskesajt - 15-2-2015 at 05:05

I know the Q is old but here is another reaction using nitrating acid and turpentine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFO2i5X1MU
Skip to 5:00

[Edited on 15-2-2015 by kecskesajt]

Ragbips - 3-3-2015 at 06:23

I have some old, kinda poor quality videos to share from when I was younger (and more reckless)

Water activated flash (silver nitrate + magnalium)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gbNxJ_GjIA

Fire by dumping sugary stuff in molten potassium perchlorate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of44gaRWRwk

Manganese heptoxide and acetone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22w0iw_O6g

"Lightning" by manganese heptoxide in IPA, should count as fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3FuSVnGdSg

Pages:  1  ..  4    6